2021-2022 College Football Coach Hire/Fire Thread

It's looking even better for the Big 12 than I think they expected. Three of the four teams coming in are in the top 25 this year, and the total record of the incoming teams is 41-7 this season.
UCF makes no sense for them, geographically. But I guess neither does West Virginia, and to a slightly lesser extent Cincinnati.

If there was ever a time to admit a blunder, and go back to what makes far more sense: Nebraska and Missouri should return to the Big 12.

Texas is gone now, which was mainly the bee up Nebraska's ass.

Missouri will never win anything in the SEC.

Both would be more competitive and restore some longer standing rivalries in the Big 12. Particularly Mizzou-KU.

It's looking even better for the Big 12 than I think they expected. Three of the four teams coming in are in the top 25 this year, and the total record of the incoming teams is 41-7 this season.

I'm hoping to catch the Cincy/Houston game this weekend on TV. Something I would have NEVER said even a couple years ago.

Mizzu
If there was ever a time to admit a blunder, and go back to what makes far more sense: Nebraska and Missouri should return to the Big 12.

Both would be more competitive and restore some longer standing rivalries in the Big 12. Particularly Mizzou-KU.
If they wanted to move B1G made far more sense for Mizzou.

UCF makes no sense for them, geographically. But I guess neither does West Virginia, and to a slightly lesser extent Cincinnati.
At least Cinci and WVU are close.

If you're looking only at distance, BYU doesn't either. The closest school is Texas Tech, and that's 869 miles. But BYU felt they were better than the MWC, and the Pac12 would never, ever take BYU.

Campbell who is coaching at Iowa State certainty wants to get out of there it appears. Seems like he has a couple interviews coming up. Wonder why the recruits would want to stay with the program due to his actions.

Campbell who is coaching at Iowa State certainty wants to get out of there it appears. Seems like he has a couple interviews coming up. Wonder why the recruits would want to stay with the program due to his actions.
What's your source on this?

At least Cinci and WVU are close.

If you're looking only at distance, BYU doesn't either. The closest school is Texas Tech, and that's 869 miles. But BYU felt they were better than the MWC, and the Pac12 would never, ever take BYU.

Geographic proximity matters to the fans who want to travel to the games, but it has little affect on the teams who take chartered flights everywhere.

Maybe it was getting free excess to an airplane 24/7 for he and his family. Or pehaps USC willing to buy both of his houses for $500,000 above the asking price. Lots of interesting tidbits in his contract.
If any of that is true. His realtor in Norman already said that the part about USC buying his houses in Norman isn't true.

And they wanted in. I don't know why the B1G didn't jump on that. They were a perfect fit.
They were the correct choice in hindsight.

Delaney convinced the presidents to choose Nebraska instead, based on the idea that they'd win football natty's for the conference.

Opening at Virginia

Saw it three days ago. He was interested in being interviewed for ND and Ok. Perhaps this is his agent putting things out there for a raise.
He doesn't have an agent. This was confirmed in a story yesterday. If anyone wants to talk to him, they have to contact him directly.

The Lincoln Riley move is an interesting one. There seem to be some rumors that he wasn't happy about the move to the SEC. Surely makes more money for the athletic department, but also makes his job a lot harder.

IMO there is also something to be said about the quality of life in LA vs Norman. Not just in terms of a "higher-class" society, but more in how he is able to live his life. I'd imagine he can't really go anywhere in Norman without being recognized. Can't run to Target, can't go out to dinner unless he's getting a private room in the back, can't go to school events for his kids, etc. In LA he'll be a C-list celebrity, and will be able to do those things in relative anonymity. Some coaches probably love being the king of a college town, but others don't want the extra attention when they are off the clock, especially with a young family.

I don't get the sense this was a money thing. He's probably not getting a huge raise in the net with the higher taxes in California. Was making about $8M per year at Oklahoma, and I bet he could have gotten them to match whatever he was offered by USC if he really wanted to stay.
My cabin neighbors live in Westlake, they love the weather in LA but are close to retirement and think that it is way to expensive to retire there. As much as California gets a bad rap there are reasons for it's popularity.

The reaction reminds me of the scene when Gutey was introduced to the team as the next head coach when Holtz left back in the mid 80's. He had been the defensive coordinator and the favorite to take over. Lots of cheering and back slapping, but when Holtz's recruits graduated or otherwise left the program then team record went south and Gutey was out the door in a few years...

This is from an article on theathletic.com, about Virginia’s coaching vacancy:

“Bronco Mendenhall stunned everyone Thursday by announcing he will step down as head coach after six seasons, following Virginia’s bowl game. He leaves with a 36-38 record before the bowl game, but it’s a winning record if you remove the 2-10 debut season.”

Yep, and he’s undefeated if you remove the 38 losses.

Last edited:

The reaction reminds me of the scene when Gutey was introduced to the team as the next head coach when Holtz left back in the mid 80's. He had been the defensive coordinator and the favorite to take over. Lots of cheering and back slapping, but when Holtz's recruits graduated or otherwise left the program then team record went south and Gutey was out the door in a few years...
The same thing went through my mind!

Miami hiring Clemson’s AD and reports they will hire Oregon’s coach. Carousel keeps turning.

Texas hasn't been doing very well in the B12 lately - what makes Texas thinks they'll thrive in the SEC? Could be the downfall of Oklahoma, too. But maybe the TV contracts are much better.

If everything plays out as expected tonight Fickell looks like a lock as the Domer's next head coach.

Top Bottom