2020 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

No idea how true the rumors are that Towns is unhappy, and I've always been against trading him. But what if they could get a nice haul of young players/draft picks for him? Then they could pair those with Wiseman at #1, who I still think will be the best player in this draft.

When KAT lost to WI in college he was branded a loser. A real champ of a player wins that game.

No idea how true the rumors are that Towns is unhappy, and I've always been against trading him. But what if they could get a nice haul of young players/draft picks for him? Then they could pair those with Wiseman at #1, who I still think will be the best player in this draft.
I think Wiseman is undervalued.

I think Wiseman is undervalued.

Agree. If Wiseman was able to come out as a High Schooler, he would have likely been the 3rd pick in last year's draft. By many accounts he was expected to be the #1 pick this year, prior to last season. The main reason he has dropped is because no one has seen him play for awhile, but in the few games he did play, you could see how talented he was.

It reminds me a little bit of Michael Porter Jr. He was expected to be the #1 pick before his college season, then he was injured and played very little. Now that he's healthy, he was very good in the playoffs and could be a star in the future if he stays healthy. The main difference is that Wiseman doesn't even have the injury concerns, he just hasn't played.

Couldn't find it but somebody around here posted that the 2020-2021 NBA Season would start on January 18th. Kornheiser and Wilbon indicated that is the date/weekend that Adam Silver had said they were shooting for.

Sid: Wolves coach Ryan Saunders navigated difficult first season

Developing the roster

It seems like a long time ago, but this Wolves club was showing some real development.

After adding D’Angelo Russell in the Andrew Wiggins trade, they also added Malik Beasley, Juan Hernangomez and James Johnson.

That group meshed well with young Wolves Josh Okogie, Jarrett Culver, Naz Reid, Jordan McLaughlin and Jake Layman.

The Wolves topped the Clippers 142-115 on Feb. 8 at Target Center.

They beat the Heat 129-126 in Miami on Feb. 26, one of only five home losses the Heat suffered this season.

Now Beasley, Hernangomez and McLaughlin are restricted free agents and Johnson has a $16 million player option.

“We obviously are very, very happy with the things that we were able to see from those guys that are free agents this summer,” Saunders said. “They’ll continue to be priorities. Gersson, we work closely, and it has been a great partnership of getting guys that fit our time line, fit the system, the style of play that we want to play and guys that fit around Karl and D’Angelo.”

Saunders made his name as one of the best development coaches when it came to working with young stars Towns and Wiggins.

Last season Towns was incredible statistically while battling injuries, posting career highs with 26.5 points and 4.4 assists per game while also grabbing 10.8 boards. The only other player to post those kind of numbers was MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo.

So how do you take Towns to the next level?

“A lot of the things that he does are things that you can’t teach, his feel for the game, his natural ability, his natural talent,” Saunders said. “So we need to continue to add to his game, add different counters offensively, use his versatility in different ways.

“That was one of the things that was so disappointing about not playing late in the season because we felt we were going to be able to do more things with some of the other guys that we acquired around him, but also continue to grow his defensive ability. That’s as a team, as a whole, we need to be better defensively.”

Howl Wolves!!

Guess they haven't found a trade partner yet and Garnett can't get the money together.

- “A lot of players are interesting to me, a lot of them,” Saunders said. “Like I said, we’re open. This draft has a number of very talented players and we’re a group that is very open-minded.”

Minnesota holds not only the top pick, but also Nos. 17 and 33. There’s a lot of evaluation to be done before the November 18 draft, but Saunders said it has been slowed by coronavirus-related restrictions that placed a ban on in-person workouts.

- Kevin Garnett was in Minneapolis this week, but refused to comment on a potential sale of the Timberwolves, according to Chris Hine of The Star-Tribune. In July, Garnett expressed an interest in purchasing the team as part of a group of investors

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...oice-for-top-pick/ar-BB1a8ihZ?ocid=uxbndlbing

Timberwolves reportedly exploring trading No. 1 pick in draft for 'win-now player'

Minnesota Timberwolves seem more interested in using their No. 1 pick to maximize their assets, as the team is reportedly looking to trade out of the spot to land a complementary third option for D'Angelo Russell and Karl-Anthony Towns.

"Executives around the NBA say the Timberwolves prefer to trade down or out of this pick to bring in a win-now player to help Karl-Anthony Towns and D’Angelo Russell," wrote the Ringer's Kevin O'Connor.

I don't know why, but I'm warming up a little to Ball being the pick and him staying.

I don't know why, but I'm warming up a little to Ball being the pick and him staying.

Understandable. Nobody really knows how any of the "one and dones" or Ball will be in the pros anyway. Which means the 1st pick this year, ain't much of a prize to trade for either.

Last edited:

I want the Wolves to draft LaMelo Ball. He is a 6"7/6'8" point guard, he comes from a family of basketball players, and he is the youngest sibling in his family, which should help him (I think). He has some baggage (his Dad), but he would be fun to watch.

Here's The Ringer's shot at it. Written on 10/14. Can't say that I've seen a lot of them play.

There is no consensus top pick in the 2020 NBA draft. In fact, there isn’t much of a consensus about anything. Talk to one league executive about LaMelo Ball, and they’ll tell you he’s the league’s next great point guard. Talk to another, and they’ll question why teams have Ball listed as a top-10 prospect. The same goes for players from top to bottom in this class. It’ll be one of the most unpredictable drafts in recent years, which makes it especially fun and challenging to make any projections. With the 2019-20 NBA season officially over, here’s Kevin O'Connor's latest mock draft, based on intel he's hearing for a player’s draft range, and choices based on team needs and philosophy.

Minnesota Timberwolves
MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
Executives around the NBA say the Timberwolves prefer to trade down or out of this pick to bring in a win-now player to help Karl-Anthony Towns and D’Angelo Russell. If they stay at no. 1, Edwards brings a scoring skill set that would fit nicely in the backcourt next to Russell.

ANTHONY EDWARDS
Guard, Georgia, freshman
    • Athleticism
      Athleticism
    • Ballhandling
      Ballhandling
  • PTS19.123.1 per 40
  • REB5.26.3 per 40
  • AST2.83.4 per 40
  • EFG%47.3505 FGA
HEIGHT
WEIGHT
Bruising scorer who can create space with his dribble and make tough shots from all over the court, but his decision-making leaves much to be desired.
SHADES OF: Victor Oladipo, Eric Gordon, Dion Waiters
PLUSES
  • Powerful driving to the rim; when he initiates contact, defenders bounce off him. Finishes with athleticism and displays soft touch with either hand.
  • Dynamic shot-maker off the dribble; he fluidly transitions from complex dribbles, spins, and hesitations into pull-ups, stepbacks, and side steps.
  • A freight train in transition; though his shot selection was iffy at Georgia, wide-open spacing in the NBA could lead to far more shots at the rim.
  • Solid passer. Doesn’t possess elite court vision, and tends to react rather than create opportunities for teammates, but he can execute basic reads to shooters and cutters.
  • Potentially a super-versatile defender thanks to his rare blend of size, strength, and agility.
MINUSES
  • Not a pure shooter; he settles for jumpers even against mismatches, which is especially frustrating for a player with his size and strength.
  • Best suited to be in a multiple-ball-handler system next to a pass-first player because of his underwhelming playmaking instincts.
  • Inconsistent effort. At times he plays hard by cutting, running up the floor, and crashing the boards. But then he’ll disappear—teams will need to do extensive background to gauge his mentality.
  • Despite his athleticism, he struggles as an off-ball defender, lacking focus and often losing track of his man.
  • Fundamentals and effort must improve while defending on-ball; lockdown flashes are mired by far too many moments of apathy.

Last edited:

The Athletic with their updated Mock Draft:

No. 1 — Minnesota Timberwolves: LaMelo Ball, PG, Illawarra Hawks (Australia)
I still believe the Wolves will try to trade this pick. I attempted to make deals with the Bulls and Hawks, but their GMs (Darnell and Chris) were too scared. And just for the hell of it, I called Wizards beat writer Fred Katz to ask if he thought Washington would make a move. But after some unanswered text messages, we couldn’t find a suitable deal given that neither of us expect Washington to put Bradley Beal on the market this soon.

So I’m staying with Ball, for now, because I think he will be the easiest to move on draft night or during the season. Teams need playmakers more than ever, and Ball may be the kind of player who can make those around him better with the shots he gets them, provided he can get a handle on his own inconsistencies.

I have reservations about his fit with D’Angelo Russell in the backcourt given both players’ preference to have the ball in their hands. But if Ryan Saunders could figure it out, he would have two elite passers to could get the offense humming. If the Wolves truly cannot find a trade partner, I think Anthony Edwards could very well be the pick. But I’m not giving up that ghost just yet. — Jon Krawczynski

Howl Wolves!!

The Athletic with their updated Mock Draft:

No. 1 — Minnesota Timberwolves: LaMelo Ball, PG, Illawarra Hawks (Australia)
I still believe the Wolves will try to trade this pick. I attempted to make deals with the Bulls and Hawks, but their GMs (Darnell and Chris) were too scared. And just for the hell of it, I called Wizards beat writer Fred Katz to ask if he thought Washington would make a move. But after some unanswered text messages, we couldn’t find a suitable deal given that neither of us expect Washington to put Bradley Beal on the market this soon.

So I’m staying with Ball, for now, because I think he will be the easiest to move on draft night or during the season. Teams need playmakers more than ever, and Ball may be the kind of player who can make those around him better with the shots he gets them, provided he can get a handle on his own inconsistencies.

I have reservations about his fit with D’Angelo Russell in the backcourt given both players’ preference to have the ball in their hands. But if Ryan Saunders could figure it out, he would have two elite passers to could get the offense humming. If the Wolves truly cannot find a trade partner, I think Anthony Edwards could very well be the pick. But I’m not giving up that ghost just yet. Jon Krawczynski

Howl Wolves!!

So the Wolves will pick Ball if they can trade him, but if they can't find a team that will give them better value in return then they'll take Edwards?

It's all a guess. From Bleacher Report:

2020 NBA Mock Draft

1. Minnesota Timberwolves: Anthony Edwards, SG, Georgia

2. Golden State Warriors: James Wiseman, C, Memphis

3. Charlotte Hornets: LaMelo Ball, PG/SG, Illawarra Hawks

4. Chicago Bulls: Deni Avdija, SF/PF, Maccabi Tel Aviv

5. Cleveland Cavaliers: Obi Toppin, PF/C, Dayton
6. Atlanta Hawks: Tyrese Haliburton, PG, Iowa State

7. Detroit Pistons: Killian Hayes, PG, Ratiopharm Ulm

8. New York Knicks: Isaac Okoro, SF/PF, Auburn

9. Washington Wizards: Onyeka Okongwu, PF/C, USC

10. Phoenix Suns: Devin Vassell, SF, Florida State

11. San Antonio Spurs: Patrick Williams, PF, Florida State

12. Sacramento Kings: Aaron Nesmith, SF, Vanderbilt

13. New Orleans Pelicans: Jalen Smith, PF/C, Maryland

14. Boston Celtics (via Memphis Grizzlies): RJ Hampton, SG, New Zealand Breakers

15. Orlando Magic: Kira Lewis Jr., PG, Alabama

16. Portland Trail Blazers: Tyrese Maxey, SG, Kentucky

17. Minnesota Timberwolves (via Brooklyn Nets): Precious Achiuwa, PF/C, Memphis

On the surface, yes.

However, Suns are very cost conscious. Having 3 MAX salaries might be too much for them. Additionally, Russell doesnt have the best rep league wide. Many think he is overrated, then you add in him having a max salary. I'd be banking on the Suns afraid of losing Booker, so they'd panic and get his 2 BFFs.

Suns would also be giving up a lot. Rubio would be the least valuable asset coming the Wolves way. Ayton has only been in the league 2 seasons and is one of the top up and coming center in the league. Bridges only second year in the NBA as well, and is already one of the best defenders around. Oubre is a do everything kind of player really coming into his own. Perfect for todays 4.

Supplement those guys with Anthony Edwards, pick 17, pick 33, Okogie, Culver, Beasley. Suddently, i like my team again.

Hmm? Looks like the Arizona Republic is thinking along the same lines as you were. Though a little more conservatively. ;)

Bleacher Report's Greg Swartz recently proposed what he called a "realistic" trade involving the Timberwolves and the No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft, which is currently scheduled for Nov. 18.

The proposal involved the Suns sending their No. 10 overall pick, forward Kelly Oubre Jr. and point guard Ty Jerome to Minnesota in exchange for the No. 1 overall pick and power forward James Johnson.

He has the Suns taking guard LaMelo Ball with the No. 1 pick..

Swartz writes: "This could be the last lottery trip the Suns make for a while, especially if confidence from an 8-0 record in the bubble can spill over into next season. Ball would find himself in the perfect situation in Phoenix, zipping passes to a talented young core while letting Devin Booker assume the scoring pressure from the start. He could even come off the bench to begin his NBA career since Ricky Rubio is still playing at a high level. Rubio, 29, carries similar qualities to Ball. He's long been one of the NBA's best and most creative passers, yet he has never developed a potent scoring attack of his own. He's a talented defender, and going against him every day in practice should only help accelerate Ball's career. A core of Ball, Booker, Mikal Bridges, Cameron Johnson and Deandre Ayton would provide a good balance of scoring, playmaking, outside shooting and defense as the Suns continue to grow."

As for the Timberwolves potentially making this trade, Swartz writes: "Oubre, 24, would fit Minnesota's rebuild and can play either forward position. He averaged 18.7 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.3 steals while shooting 45.2 percent from the field in 2019-20 and would immediately become a starter for the Wolves. Players like Obi Toppin, Patrick Williams and Devin Vassell could all still be available for Minnesota at No. 10, and Jerome was a first-round pick by Phoenix in 2019."..

It's all a guess. From Bleacher Report:

2020 NBA Mock Draft

1. Minnesota Timberwolves: Anthony Edwards, SG, Georgia

2. Golden State Warriors: James Wiseman, C, Memphis

3. Charlotte Hornets: LaMelo Ball, PG/SG, Illawarra Hawks

4. Chicago Bulls: Deni Avdija, SF/PF, Maccabi Tel Aviv

5. Cleveland Cavaliers: Obi Toppin, PF/C, Dayton
6. Atlanta Hawks: Tyrese Haliburton, PG, Iowa State

7. Detroit Pistons: Killian Hayes, PG, Ratiopharm Ulm

8. New York Knicks: Isaac Okoro, SF/PF, Auburn

9. Washington Wizards: Onyeka Okongwu, PF/C, USC

10. Phoenix Suns: Devin Vassell, SF, Florida State

11. San Antonio Spurs: Patrick Williams, PF, Florida State

12. Sacramento Kings: Aaron Nesmith, SF, Vanderbilt

13. New Orleans Pelicans: Jalen Smith, PF/C, Maryland

14. Boston Celtics (via Memphis Grizzlies): RJ Hampton, SG, New Zealand Breakers

15. Orlando Magic: Kira Lewis Jr., PG, Alabama

16. Portland Trail Blazers: Tyrese Maxey, SG, Kentucky

17. Minnesota Timberwolves (via Brooklyn Nets): Precious Achiuwa, PF/C, Memphis
I'd gladly take that pick at #17.

Hmm? Looks like the Arizona Republic is thinking along the same lines as you were. Though a little more conservatively. ;)

Bleacher Report's Greg Swartz recently proposed what he called a "realistic" trade involving the Timberwolves and the No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft, which is currently scheduled for Nov. 18.

The proposal involved the Suns sending their No. 10 overall pick, forward Kelly Oubre Jr. and point guard Ty Jerome to Minnesota in exchange for the No. 1 overall pick and power forward James Johnson.

He has the Suns taking guard LaMelo Ball with the No. 1 pick..

Swartz writes: "This could be the last lottery trip the Suns make for a while, especially if confidence from an 8-0 record in the bubble can spill over into next season. Ball would find himself in the perfect situation in Phoenix, zipping passes to a talented young core while letting Devin Booker assume the scoring pressure from the start. He could even come off the bench to begin his NBA career since Ricky Rubio is still playing at a high level. Rubio, 29, carries similar qualities to Ball. He's long been one of the NBA's best and most creative passers, yet he has never developed a potent scoring attack of his own. He's a talented defender, and going against him every day in practice should only help accelerate Ball's career. A core of Ball, Booker, Mikal Bridges, Cameron Johnson and Deandre Ayton would provide a good balance of scoring, playmaking, outside shooting and defense as the Suns continue to grow."

As for the Timberwolves potentially making this trade, Swartz writes: "Oubre, 24, would fit Minnesota's rebuild and can play either forward position. He averaged 18.7 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.3 steals while shooting 45.2 percent from the field in 2019-20 and would immediately become a starter for the Wolves. Players like Obi Toppin, Patrick Williams and Devin Vassell could all still be available for Minnesota at No. 10, and Jerome was a first-round pick by Phoenix in 2019."..

I think it was JimmyJam who came up with a similar trade idea. I'm not sure Phoenix does this without getting rid of Rubio at the same time. I really like the idea of Oubre Jr. coming here. Would really depend on who is at #10.

I think it was JimmyJam who came up with a similar trade idea. I'm not sure Phoenix does this without getting rid of Rubio at the same time. I really like the idea of Oubre Jr. coming here. Would really depend on who is at #10.

It was. Posted that in a reply to his post..

#1 - how in the hell is rubio only 29

#2 - i know their are no consensus top picks, but that trade doesnt give the wolves a ton of value. I like Oubre, hes a top roll player, but you have to give him a big contract. Also, James Johnson is a good player too, and lots of contenders want him. Just doesnt seem like the wolves are getting much for moving back 9 spots

#1 - how in the hell is rubio only 29

#2 - i know their are no consensus top picks, but that trade doesnt give the wolves a ton of value. I like Oubre, hes a top roll player, but you have to give him a big contract. Also, James Johnson is a good player too, and lots of contenders want him. Just doesnt seem like the wolves are getting much for moving back 9 spots

1. No Kidding. Rubio started playing professionally at 14, Euroleague at 16 and he was 21 when he debuted with the Wolves. Just looked. He'll be 30 tomorrow.

2. You're right. Though with this draft who knows who will be any good. Problem is with the schedule all messed-up, even though it's only 10/20 we are already smack-dab in the NBA's Stupid Season.

You know? When everybody with a microphone or a pen starts making crazy sheet up regarding the draft, trades, future signings etc. ?

Just wait a couple of weeks when they start quoting "team sources". :)

1. No Kidding. Rubio started playing professionally at 14, Euroleague at 16 and he was 21 when he debuted with the Wolves. Just looked. He'll be 30 tomorrow.

2. You're right. Though with this draft who knows who will be any good. Problem is with the schedule all messed-up, even though it's only 10/20 we are already smack-dab in the NBA's Stupid Season.

You know? When everybody with a microphone or a pen starts making crazy sheet up regarding the draft, trades, future signings etc. ?

Just wait a couple of weeks when they start quoting "team sources". :)

I'm concerned Rosas might BE Kahn 2.0. And with that, the leader of NBA's stupid season[/QUOTE]

I'm concerned Rosas might BE Kahn 2.0. And with that, the leader of NBA's stupid season
[/QUOTE]

No! No! No! No! NOBODY ever will be as bad as Khan. Maybe with exception of James Dolan.

(Actually have had that same thought on occasion but will never vocalize it. ;) )

No! No! No! No! NOBODY ever will be as bad as Khan. Maybe with exception of James Dolan.

(Actually have had that same thought on occasion but will never vocalize it. ;) )
[/QUOTE]

Yeah that wouldnt be a smart thing to vocalize. You wouldnt want to be critical of a guy that just traded for his own James Harden

Yeah that wouldnt be a smart thing to vocalize. You wouldnt want to be critical of a guy that just traded for his own James Harden
[/QUOTE]

What makes me nervous is he might believe that.

Last edited:

Top Bottom