2020 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

Maybe but the Trade Machine doesn't think so. When you finally get the $48,700,000 needed to match Simmons contract it always says that it can't be accepted because the "76er's are over the cap" and you have to cut 17,18, 19 million to make it work. If you do that it will say the Wolves are over the cap. but you still have to match that $48.7

Never ran into this before but never ran into a "Poison Pill Provision" before either.

Maybe they'd need to get 2 or 3 other teams involved or most likely Rashad Phillips just made the whole thing up.
The trade machine doesn't always work for certain players (I've learned). For example: you couldn't trade Teague no matter what for a couple of years on that site. Just wouldn't work. I think the poison pill factor for Simmons is like that.

I don't watch much NBA outside of the Wolves, but what exactly is the draw of a tall perimeter player that literally can't hit a 3 to save his life and shoots 60% FT? Sounds like a guy I don't want on the court at the end of games.
He finds ways to score. Not always efficient, but he is a career 16 point scorer. The biggest plus with Simmons is he can control the pace really well. He is a lock down defender at the point. Very good passer. Very good rebounder. Dude would be a top five player if he could shoot. I think he would mesh really well with Russell and Towns overall despite the lack of shooting. Just not gonna happen in my opinion.

He finds ways to score. Not always efficient, but he is a career 16 point scorer. The biggest plus with Simmons is he can control the pace really well. He is a lock down defender at the point. Very good passer. Very good rebounder. Dude would be a top five player if he could shoot. I think he would mesh really well with Russell and Towns overall despite the lack of shooting. Just not gonna happen in my opinion.
Whos going to be your primary ball handler with Russell and Simmons?

You better have Phoenix throw in some no.1's to boot.

On the surface, yes.

However, Suns are very cost conscious. Having 3 MAX salaries might be too much for them. Additionally, Russell doesnt have the best rep league wide. Many think he is overrated, then you add in him having a max salary. I'd be banking on the Suns afraid of losing Booker, so they'd panic and get his 2 BFFs.

Suns would also be giving up a lot. Rubio would be the least valuable asset coming the Wolves way. Ayton has only been in the league 2 seasons and is one of the top up and coming center in the league. Bridges only second year in the NBA as well, and is already one of the best defenders around. Oubre is a do everything kind of player really coming into his own. Perfect for todays 4.

Supplement those guys with Anthony Edwards, pick 17, pick 33, Okogie, Culver, Beasley. Suddently, i like my team again.

On the surface, yes.

However, Suns are very cost conscious. Having 3 MAX salaries might be too much for them. Additionally, Russell doesnt have the best rep league wide. Many think he is overrated, then you add in him having a max salary. I'd be banking on the Suns afraid of losing Booker, so they'd panic and get his 2 BFFs.

Suns would also be giving up a lot. Rubio would be the least valuable asset coming the Wolves way. Ayton has only been in the league 2 seasons and is one of the top up and coming center in the league. Bridges only second year in the NBA as well, and is already one of the best defenders around. Oubre is a do everything kind of player really coming into his own. Perfect for todays 4.

Supplement those guys with Anthony Edwards, pick 17, pick 33, Okogie, Culver, Beasley. Suddently, i like my team again.
I'm not against it. I still would want at minimum the 2021 No.1 from Phoenix (lotto protected).

Towns is still the most talented overall offensive center...maybe ever. I get you don't like Russell, but he was looked at as one of the best up and coming players when he was with Brooklyn (not that long ago). I like him a lot more than you do, but I get the concern with him.

It is a very interesting trade the more I think about it. Phoenix would be going all in with three "stars" while the Wolves would go to having none but maybe better overall.

Both. That is what the brain trust wants.

A few teams have done that recently. Having two ball handlers on the court should always happen. Oddly enough a lot of the time it happens during the course of a game. Just that it's a "1st team & 2nd team: PG that are on the court together.

Or a guy like James or Butler is out there with a PG. That's always 2 guys who can handle the ball.

I'm not against it. I still would want at minimum the 2021 No.1 from Phoenix (lotto protected).

Towns is still the most talented overall offensive center...maybe ever. I get you don't like Russell, but he was looked at as one of the best up and coming players when he was with Brooklyn (not that long ago). I like him a lot more than you do, but I get the concern with him.

It is a very interesting trade the more I think about it. Phoenix would be going all in with three "stars" while the Wolves would go to having none but maybe better overall.

Correct.

Suns did just go 8-0 in bubble. Obviously Booker was the main reason why. But Rubio, Ayton, and Bridges contributed a lot to that 8-0. And dont discount Ayton's development.

Also this trade opens things up to take Anthony Edwards if youre trying to hit a home run and get a star.

On the surface, yes.

Yeah, those salaries would be tough. Also under the opinion that Ayton and Bridges, to a lesser extent, only look that good because Booker draws so much attention.

Not sure who would do that for the Wolves.

Yeah, those salaries would be tough. Also under the opinion that Ayton and Bridges, to a lesser extent, only look that good because Booker draws so much attention.

Not sure who would do that for the Wolves.

That's a fair point.

Again, I'm only trading KAT if Russell comes with him. Can you imagine trading KAT, but still having Russell on the roster? YUK!

With the caveat that you can only trade KAT with Russell, there aren't a lot of options out there.

Any ideas why KAT has been reported to be unhappy and wants of here? Not sure what happened.

I'm sure the team being complete trash since 2004 is part of it.
Kat deserves the least amount of blame for that, but he does deserve some. Why would anyone want to play here is my question? As much as I ripped Rubio, dude wanted to stay here until Thibs made it obvious he wasn't wanted.

I thought D'Angelo Russell was one of his best friends, and that is what he wanted.

I blame KAT's new girlfriend Jordyn Woods, the former best friend of Kylie Jenner who Tristan Thompson cheated on Khloe Kardashian with. She probably doesn't like Minnesota winters.

Any ideas why KAT has been reported to be unhappy and wants of here? Not sure what happened.
I blame KAT's new girlfriend Jordyn Woods, the former best friend of Kylie Jenner who Tristan Thompson cheated on Khloe Kardashian with. She probably doesn't like Minnesota winters.

It's from Myron Metcalf and Barstool Sports so ah...b.s.

per Sid:

• NBA.com reports the consensus of NBA draft experts is that 6-5 guard Anthony Edwards of Georgia is the No. 1 prospect and most likely top pick by the Wolves. But there is a lot of attention being paid to LaMelo Ball, who played professionally in Australia instead of going to college, as a fit at No. 1 to play in the backcourt alongside D’Angelo Russell, and Ball could be a big-ticket draw.

Howl Wolves!!

per Sid:

• NBA.com reports the consensus of NBA draft experts is that 6-5 guard Anthony Edwards of Georgia is the No. 1 prospect and most likely top pick by the Wolves. But there is a lot of attention being paid to LaMelo Ball, who played professionally in Australia instead of going to college, as a fit at No. 1 to play in the backcourt alongside D’Angelo Russell, and Ball could be a big-ticket draw.

Howl Wolves!!

I really hope the wolves move back and get a good asset. Best guess is the best player from this draft will not be Edwards or Ball, but more of the raw players, like a Okoro or Okongwu

per Sid:

Howl Wolves!!

Does anybody know who really writes Sid's columns? Heard a name a year or so ago but don't remember it.

I really hope the wolves move back and get a good asset. Best guess is the best player from this draft will not be Edwards or Ball, but more of the raw players, like a Okoro or Okongwu
I really wish they would end up with Okongwu but it won't happen. I'd take Okoro as well...that has a chance.

I really wish they would end up with Okongwu but it won't happen. I'd take Okoro as well...that has a chance.

With Russell, you cant pick Ball

With Beasley, who i like as i ignore his arrest, you really cant pick Edwards.

So I think trading back in the top 10, you cant still get a good player and a good asset(s) to boot

With Russell, you cant pick Ball

With Beasley, who i like as i ignore his arrest, you really cant pick Edwards.

So I think trading back in the top 10, you cant still get a good player and a good asset(s) to boot
As of right now, I would guess they take Ball and keep him. Russell, Ball and Beasley would get the majority of the minutes. They slide Culver to the small forward or trade him (please).

As of right now, I would guess they take Ball and keep him. Russell, Ball and Beasley would get the majority of the minutes. They slide Culver to the small forward or trade him (please).

so gross. If that happens, i will already want a new GM. I will be applying for it

Top Bottom