2020-2021 College Basketball Other Games Thread

This is against a high effort UW. They are exploited at every position.

Michigan has 2 5 stars, two more top 60 players, a third 4 star, and Will Tschetter coming in next year, and are still hoping for a shot at adding Chet Holmgren. I’m curious as to how they have that many scholarships.

Michigan has 2 5 stars, two more top 60 players, a third 4 star, and Will Tschetter coming in next year, and are still hoping for a shot at adding Chet Holmgren. I’m curious as to how they have that many scholarships.

They have 9 seniors or grad transfers. Plus Wagner is going pro. And who knows if others do.

Plenty of room to keep adding. They’ll be young next year.

I told my buddy who is a diehard Michigan fan this. He was skeptical but I’ve seen the best of the B1G and its Michigan followed by everyone else. They can beat you at every position and from anywhere on the court. Excellent defense, can shoot, a couple dominant players. Really impressive team.

Height everywhere as well.

Regarding that commitment, Tschetter better send a letter to unfetter.

Gophers lost by more

Michigan let off the gas when they went up by 40 with over ten minutes in the half remaining. Gave Wisconsin a lot of garbage time to close the gap.

Michigan let off the gas when they went up by 40 with over ten minutes in the half remaining. Gave Wisconsin a lot of garbage time to close the gap.
What a disappointment. But it was still a beauty to watch.

Maybe someday it will be the Gophers up by 40 on a Badger team. A person can dream, can't they? *sigh*....

Michigan put it on Wisconsin.

doesn’t make me feel better about Minnesota being awful on the road, but re-enforces my belief that Pitino can only be evaluated at the end of 20 conference games, not 2,4 or 7.

I'd consider it a moral victory if the Gophers keep the margin within a dozen points.
Michigan is going to be feeling pretty good about how they're playing. They blew us out and just blew out Wisconsin. I could see some sleepwalking happening and us catching them off guard. I'm not expecting a win, but I will also be shocked if they kill us again.

This is GopherHole...Pitino is evaluated after ever possession.

I was reading the Wisconsin board after the michigan game and a significant amount of vitriol extended toward Gaard and the team. I think that seing the big picture is not a strength of message boatds in general.. Comments along the lines of Gaard cant recruit athletes, team never plays with energy, Reuvers is awful, offense is bad, best win is minnesota who has trouble winning on the road.

I was reading the Wisconsin board after the michigan game and a significant amount of vitriol extended toward Gaard and the team. I think that seing the big picture is not a strength of message boatds in general.. Comments along the lines of Gaard cant recruit athletes, team never plays with energy, Reuvers is awful, offense is bad, best win is minnesota who has trouble winning on the road.
That's interesting. I always wonder what fans of teams that are generally successful are like when they go through things we have to go through regularly.

That's interesting. I always wonder what fans of teams that are generally successful are like when they go through things we have to go through regularly.
Mostly the same. 20% knee jerk reaction after a win or loss. Best coach after a win, worst ever after a loss. 10% always great, 10% always negative. Ton of homers, rival haters, ref complainers, even conspiracy guys. A fair share of thoughtful basketball crazy guys. Supportive but open minded and look at the game through a critical lens. Expecting greatness. Elite programs though have a certain arrogance and are experienced at seeing the struggles be brief. They have established more fan equity and in fact have a national brand as everyone loves a winner.

I think builtbadgers addressed this pretty well. In short, not substantially different from us. As expected, fan bases of more successful teams tend to be even more critical and intolerant during a losing performance. And, as built mentioned, a large block of fans continuously bitching about the refs is almost universal. I check into opposing fans' forums frequently (especially Iowa because I'm an alum of there and had a long history of closely following the team). Fans bases are more alike than different.

Built used the term "homers." One thing I notice about true homers is that, regardless of the team they support (even at the professional level), they barely see the opposing team during the game. A blogger who ran a fan forum for a particular NBA team once admitted this to me. I knew the Gophers hadn't played well on the road and they played particularly badly against Michigan after all hell broke loose, but I was far more impressed by Michigan's quality as the game went on than dumbfounded by the Gophers' awfulness.

See I feel like I'd just get bored if all my team did was win. I mean it beats the alternative but imaging being a die hard Alabama football fan. The games are rarely even competitive. Now, comparing Wisconsin basketball to Alabama football is apples and oranges but so is comparing us to Wisconsin in some aspects.

See I feel like I'd just get bored if all my team did was win. I mean it beats the alternative but imaging being a die hard Alabama football fan. The games are rarely even competitive. Now, comparing Wisconsin basketball to Alabama football is apples and oranges but so is comparing us to Wisconsin in some aspects.
Gopher Football is definitely closing the gap on Wisconsin. I guess you could say they are also closing the gap on Alabama but that is more like saying throwing a rock into the Grand Canyon is starting to fill it!

As for basketball, It takes so much less effort to make a big jump due to the fact that you only have 5 players on the court that there should be less patience in re-making a program theoretically. A couple of good recruiting years in Basketball, or even one, can make you a contender. Coyle has been uber patient with Pitino. He just hasn't landed the seminal recruit who have been able to elevate the team on their own. He has had good recruits, yes. But they have not been together and not complemented each other as a unit to achieve team goals ala Wisconsin.

That's kind of on Pitino

See I feel like I'd just get bored if all my team did was win. I mean it beats the alternative but imaging being a die hard Alabama football fan.

I feel the same way and Alabama is the perfect example. I've thought a number of times before that it must be really boring to be a long-time Alabama football fan.

2 of Penn State's 4 canceled games have been rescheduled at this point. Starting Sunday they will play 5 games in 11 days.

Losing teams fans complain about the refs more. in game comments on refs are about equal. I do not think fans of teams that win a ton are bored. Alabama fans are having a blast. I went to UCLA, it was really fun.

Living in Fargo, I subscribe to this way of thinking as well. The town shuts down when NDSU football plays and the game, for all intents and purposes, is over by the halfway point of the 2nd quarter in most instances. I'm not a Bison fan, but I'll watch other college football teams I don't care about if I think the game is going to be competitive. NDSU football games are unwatchable.

Top Bottom