2018 Gopher Baseball

FWIW, Gopher commit Andrew Wilhite is hitting .417 with 11 HR and 54 RBI this spring with his high school team in Illinois. At one point this season, he went yard in FIVE consecutive at bats. Those are unbelievably good power numbers coming from a high school prospect. He will likely be a day 1 starter on the left side of the infield next year as either Coffey or Vavra's successor.

Good to know! I was assuming they would try Kozicky at SS next year with Vavra gone.

I find this to be really stupid. Your'e the host and higher seed. You should always be the home team.

That's if teams are 2,3,or 4 seeds. If two #1 seeds advance the higher national seed is home tea, for games 1 and 3. The other team is the home team for game #2. They do this so each team has the chance to the home team(via last at bat0 in 1 game of the series. The host team still has many advantages to plying at home

Good to know! I was assuming they would try Kozicky at SS next year with Vavra gone.

That certainly remains a possibility, although in that case they would need confidence in having a 3rd outfielder to pair with Mezzenga and Riley Smith next season.

So here's a scenario: Oregon State is an incredible team. Intuition says if we get to a game 3 we have no chance at beating them throwing Stevenson/Lackney. So... why not start Max Meyer in game 3 if the season is on the line?? He has experience going 50+ pitches and would give Oregon State all they could handle if it came down to a single game with a trip to Omaha on the line.
All depends if you have used him in game 1 and/or 2 or not. If he is fresh for game 3 I'd be absolutely shocked if they didn't start Max or at least have him ready very early for an extended outing.

I saw Drew Hmielewski playing catch with the right fielder between innings. I know this year’s team is full of seniors but I am assuming he will get his shot next year.
He has a chance. Gophers will probably only have Ben Mezzenga returning as an outfielder next year. Jordan Kozicky plays out there this year and is obviously very capable but I'd expect him to play short or 3rd next year. Gonna be a lot of competition for the open spots next year. You have Riley Smith who has been solid when he has gotten time in the outfield. You have Eddie Estrada who really hasn't played at the level he is capable of hopefully he can play to his potential in his SR season. You also have a couple guys who got a little time as freshmen this year in Jacob Hitz and Easton Bertrand. As for incoming recruits only 1 guy plays outfield right now and that is Otto Grimm of Bemidji. He has loads of talent but is a little raw kinda like Alex Boxwell when he came in and he might see a redshirt year. Could potentially also see another guy move to the outfield as they often take high school shortstops and transition them.

FWIW, Gopher commit Andrew Wilhite is hitting .417 with 11 HR and 54 RBI this spring with his high school team in Illinois. At one point this season, he went yard in FIVE consecutive at bats. Those are unbelievably good power numbers coming from a high school prospect. He will likely be a day 1 starter on the left side of the infield next year as either Coffey or Vavra's successor.
He has had a very good year not exactly sure on the level of competition he is facing during the high school season but know he has performed well in a solid summer program to go with it. I do think Jordan Kozicky will get the opportunity at either SS or 3rd at the beginning of next year but it is also nice to have the versatility he provides that if you have a few incoming infielders come in and earn a job you can shift him to the outfield. If you have some outfielders step up and take a spot Kozicky can play infield. I do expect at least a couple of freshmen to challenge for playing time right away.

Is it a bad sign that Oregon St just had 2 players selected in the first 20 players of the first round of the MLB draft? Twins just picked up Trevor Larnach OF from Oregon St at #20.

I'd be a big fan if they could get him signed by Friday and down to the rookie league...

So, two more top seeded teams bit the dust today.

No. 4 Ole Miss gone thanks to Tennessee Tech.

No. 8 Georgia gone thanks to Duke.

And No. 1 Florida was defeated by Florida Atlantic in the first game today, so now they have to play a winner-take-all game seven in Gainesville.

Add it all up and national seeds 2, 4, 7, 8, 10, 12, 15 and 16 all failed to make it to supers. And Florida is down early against FAU in their decider.

Pretty amazing.

So, two more top seeded teams bit the dust today.

No. 4 Ole Miss gone thanks to Tennessee Tech.

No. 8 Georgia gone thanks to Duke.

And No. 1 Florida was defeated by Florida Atlantic in the first game today, so now they have to play a winner-take-all game seven in Gainesville.

Add it all up and national seeds 2, 4, 7, 8, 10, 12, 15 and 16 all failed to make it to supers. And Florida is down early against FAU in their decider.

Pretty amazing.

So my question is this - with all the upsets would it not be more fair for the NCAA to re-seed all of the teams going into the super regionals? The unseeded teams that made it through would have to be seeded for the super regionals below all of the remaining seeded teams. If this were done the Gophers would be hosting this weekend.

Is it a bad sign that Oregon St just had 2 players selected in the first 20 players of the first round of the MLB draft? Twins just picked up Trevor Larnach OF from Oregon St at #20.

I'd be a big fan if they could get him signed by Friday and down to the rookie league...[/QUOT

The Beaver SS also went in the 1st round at #37.

He has had a very good year not exactly sure on the level of competition he is facing during the high school season but know he has performed well in a solid summer program to go with it. I do think Jordan Kozicky will get the opportunity at either SS or 3rd at the beginning of next year but it is also nice to have the versatility he provides that if you have a few incoming infielders come in and earn a job you can shift him to the outfield. If you have some outfielders step up and take a spot Kozicky can play infield. I do expect at least a couple of freshmen to challenge for playing time right away.

Wilhite's combination of power at the plate and his strong arm lead me to believe he'll start at 3rd base and Kozicky will shift back to shortstop, although that's a ways out so I guess we'll have fun watching all that matriculate next season.

So my question is this - with all the upsets would it not be more fair for the NCAA to re-seed all of the teams going into the super regionals? The unseeded teams that made it through would have to be seeded for the super regionals below all of the remaining seeded teams. If this were done the Gophers would be hosting this weekend.

The match ups for the super regionals are preset based on seeds. The winner of the Corvalis regional was to play the winner of the Minneapolis regional regardless of who won the two regionals.

This is a year where it would have been a huge benefit to the Gophers if they would reseed after the regional. So many high seeds went down that I think we would have been a host.

Super Regional Schedule (all times Central):

Friday, June 8
4:00pm, ESPN2

Saturday, June 9
8:30pm, ESPN2

Sunday, June 10 (if necessary)
8:00pm, ESPN2

The following four super regionals will be played Friday, June 8, Saturday, June 9, and Sunday, June 10 (if necessary). The national seed is indicated before the team name, while updated records through the regionals are in parenthesis.

Games begin Friday, June 8 - All times are Eastern

*Game times and ESPN Network subject to change

No. 14 Minnesota (44-13) at No. 3 Oregon St. (47-10-1)

5 p.m. (ESPN2), 9:30 p.m. (ESPN2), *9 p.m. (ESPN2)

Not sure if this is correct but 4pm Friday start? Or is the above post correct?

The following four super regionals will be played Friday, June 8, Saturday, June 9, and Sunday, June 10 (if necessary). The national seed is indicated before the team name, while updated records through the regionals are in parenthesis.

Games begin Friday, June 8 - All times are Eastern

*Game times and ESPN Network subject to change

No. 14 Minnesota (44-13) at No. 3 Oregon St. (47-10-1)

5 p.m. (ESPN2), 9:30 p.m. (ESPN2), *9 p.m. (ESPN2)

Not sure if this is correct but 4pm Friday start? Or is the above post correct?

Sorry, I edited my post. 4pm central is the right time for the Friday start.

This is a year where it would have been a huge benefit to the Gophers if they would reseed after the regional. So many high seeds went down that I think we would have been a host.

Agreed.

I saw Drew Hmielewski playing catch with the right fielder between innings. I know this year’s team is full of seniors but I am assuming he will get his shot next year.

I don't know about his glove or his hitting, but boy has that kid got wheels. He can sure cover a lot of ground in the outfield.

Terrin Vavra selected in the 3rd round (96th overall) by the Colorado Rockies. He can probably expect a signing bonus in the $500k range.

Vavra will be reunited with last years Friday night starter Lucas Gilbreath.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anyone else live in the metro and have Comcast? ESPN2 has been showing up in SD only since yesterday. Really hoping it's resolved by Friday with all the games on ESPN2

...and yes, I know my first issue is that I have Comcast... ;)

I'm hoping that the Gophers victories in the BTT and NCCA regionals this year will spur on new interest from the local media. It has never seemed to me like they have gotten the coverage that they deserve. In particular, I would like to see a radio broadcast next year. I'm not sure how long it's been, but I miss listening to Gopher Baseball on Saturday afternoons.

I'm hoping that the Gophers victories in the BTT and NCCA regionals this year will spur on new interest from the local media. It has never seemed to me like they have gotten the coverage that they deserve. In particular, I would like to see a radio broadcast next year. I'm not sure how long it's been, but I miss listening to Gopher Baseball on Saturday afternoons.
They use to have radio for everygame at least through the internet until I think the 2013 season. Then they went a few years with just doing select series and then this year they didn't do any radio broadcasts. I'm sure with 90% of the games being available to watch online they don't feel there is as much need for radio.

I agree. This year a team that was a #3 seed in their regional is hosting a super. Meanwhile two #1 seeds have to go on the road.

Preview of the Beavers:
CWS champs in 06 and 07
CWS appearances in 05,06,07, 13, and 17. #1 overall seeds in 14 and 17.
Pat Casey is as good a coach as there is in any college sport. He has built a powerhouse in the rainy northwest. He is an absolute perfectionist. His teams simply don’t make the mistakes most college squads do. The play fabulous fundamental baseball. This is a different squad than he normally has.
Usually his teams are built around three great starting pitchers. This year it about a great hitting lineup. My take on the starters by order.
CF Steven Kwan. He has turned into a prototype lead off guy. Can really work a pitcher for walks. Great speed and is a great defensive player. This is an advantage defensively in favor of Oregon State. Average arm but he takes good angles and runs down everything.
SS Caydn Grenier. Regarded as the best defensive SS in CBB. #1 MLB pick. Bat finally came around this year. Vavra is a better hitter, but this kid is better with the glove and makes spectacular plays look routine. Cannon for an arm.
2B Nick Madrigal. #4 overall pick in the MLB draft. This kid is a once in a generation talent. The bummer is he broke a bone in his hand in the beginning of the season and missed 26 games. Casey allows him to call the D. He has been in a “slump” and is still hitting 406. He is 5’8” 160 and looks like a little kid playing tee ball in his stance. Does everything effortlessly and has off the charts instincts. Every announcer pretty much says you could plop him in a MLB game tomorrow and he would hold his own. I am am going to miss watching this kid play!
RF Trevor Larnach. Twins liked him, obviously. Was brought in as a pitcher, originally. Power jumped up this year with a new approach. Can hit to all fields with serious power. Very strong arm despite what they said in the paper. Very good with the glove and covers a lot of ground with very long legs.
Catcher: Adley Rutschman. Switch hitting, with power and high average. Fantastic behind the plate.
Big arm that threw 94 as a HS pitcher. Talk that he could potentially be the #1 overall pick next year.
Kicked a 63 yard FG in HS and leveled Christan McCafferty on a kickoff while playing on the football team as a frosh against Stanford.
3B Michael Gretler. The glue of the team. Great with the glove and is the guy that always seems to get the clutch hit.
LF: Alternates between two seniors. Nobach has had the better bat this year. Anderson usually comes in as a defensive replacement or if they want another lefty bat.
DH: Tyler Malone. Good lefty power.
1B: Zac Taylor. Very good defensively, but probably the weakest hitter.
1-6 is a nightmare for pitchers when they are on. The whole lineup has very good plate discipline.
There is not an easy out in the line up and everybody can bunt. The funny thing is that physically, they have a lot of pretty small guys. If they are on a roll with the bats, they will be tough to beat.

Nice preview, Beavergopher. Are you gonna post a similar report on the Gophers? Some of us are just getting to know this team.

Congratulations to Max and Patrick. Those two are going to be fun to watch the next couple years.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom