2016 college basketball coaching firings/changes thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
UNLV is first out of the gate:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

UNLV...

Saw that & very surprised they made the change at this time with great recruiting class coming in...

Saw that & very surprised they made the change at this time with great recruiting class coming in...

Well, unlike many of us, their administration and fans don't see a very good recruiting class as something so precious that it's only likely to happen once a decade. They've been getting very good recruiting classes for some time now (Findlay Prep helps some) but their coach hadn't achieved enough success with them. We might have the same problem with the less stellar talent we recruit.

Well, unlike many of us, their administration and fans don't see a very good recruiting class as something so precious that it's only likely to happen once a decade. They've been getting very good recruiting classes for some time now (Findlay Prep helps some) but their coach hadn't achieved enough success with them. We might have the same problem with the less stellar talent we recruit.
True, but they gave Rice the opportunity to coach all of that talent. I think Pitino should get that same opportunity and if he fails then move on.

Go Gophers!!

If Minnesota fired Rick and Wisconsin didn't hire Gard would you want Gard?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

If Minnesota fired Rick and Wisconsin didn't hire Gard would you want Gard?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

He certainly could be on the short list.

I think we'll see Bryce Drew get a big-time job soon. Have to think he'd be ready to leave Valpo.

Pastner may be one of the most overrated coaches ever.

If he gets fired, he won't be out of a job long. Some big program would hire him as an assistant in a heartbeat. The guy can recruit, he just sucks with X's and O's.

per ESPN:

Rex Walters told ESPN on Wednesday that he has been fired as head men's basketball coach at the University of San Francisco.

Walters, 45, is a former Kansas standout who has been the head coach of the Dons for the past eight seasons. Walters took USF to the CollegeInsider.com tournament in 2011, the College Basketball Invitational in 2012 and the NIT in 2014.

In 2014-15, the Dons were 14-18 overall and 7-11 in West Coast Conference play, while they finished this past season with a 15-15 overall mark and an 8-10 league record.

Walters spent two seasons as the head coach at Florida Atlantic before taking the reins at San Francisco.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...x-walters-fired-head-coach-san-francisco-dons

Go Gophers!!

Per @GaryParrishCBS

Eddie Jordan will not return as Rutgers' head coach, a source told @CBSSports. Story coming.

Per @GaryParrishCBS

Eddie Jordan will not return as Rutgers' head coach, a source told @CBSSports. Story coming.

Not shocked, Jordan seemed like he was on auto pilot, need someone with energy that won't smack the kids around at Rutgers

Go Gophers!!

TCU fires Trent Johnson:

Following a meeting Monday morning with Johnson and his basketball team, Del Conte officially announced that Johnson has been dismissed as head coach.

“Trent Johnson is a man of unbelievable integrity,” Del Conte said in a statement posted on the TCU website. “It’s hard to find a better person than Trent, and I have the highest level of respect for him. However, we believe change is needed in the leadership of our men’s basketball program.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/gil-lebreton/article65899977.html

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like Rob Jeter is on borrowed time at UW-Milwaukee.

"In reality, we underperformed this year," AD Amanda Braun said. "We finished fifth in the conference. We also played the 292nd-weakest schedule in the nation. That's not a season I think merits a postseason.""Our expectation is third place or better," she said. "We fund the program at the highest level in our league. We didn't achieve what I think rewarded the merit of a quote-unquote postseason."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pant...ts-at-bigger-story-b99686477z1-371896421.html

This is a big firing:

If a coach is fired, what is the policy on guys transferring out? Can they play right away? Do they have to sit a year like any other non-grad transfer? Is it a case by case thing? The whole transfer situation confuses me because I can't seem to identify any consistency.

Yikes. Wonder how Reid Travis feels about this one. Hopefully he is enjoying the school enough it wouldn't be a big deal.

Considering academics were a big part of his decision to go there, I would be surprised if he transfered. Stanford has enough to sell, where they can probably lure a pretty solid coach as well. If he does transfer, I would definitely take him.

Should we bring back the Reid Travis Thread?

If a coach is fired, what is the policy on guys transferring out? Can they play right away? Do they have to sit a year like any other non-grad transfer? Is it a case by case thing? The whole transfer situation confuses me because I can't seem to identify any consistency.

He would be an asset if healthy?

They changed the rule so now every transfer, has to sit a year, unless they are graduating.

They changed the rule so now every transfer, has to sit a year, unless they are graduating.

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

He could use his redshirt like Lynch and Fitz did, giving him 2 seasons of play somewhere.

Top Bottom