2016 college basketball coaching firings/changes thread

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Figured Drew would be a top candidate now that his season is done. My guess is he will get one of the two jobs.

I'm a little surprised to see Scott Nagy is leaving South Dakota St. for Wright St. He coached SDSU for 21 years.

I'm a little surprised to see Scott Nagy is leaving South Dakota St. for Wright St. He coached SDSU for 21 years.

Dang, first I've heard of that. Article I looked up said it was reported by Jeff Goodman, which makes me a tad skeptical. He's a bit of a dweeb.

Most SDSU fans are scratching their heads as well. It's at best a lateral move (and it could be argued it's a step down) in everything but $. But money talks, and going from $250,000 to $450,000 is nothing to sneeze at.

Most SDSU fans are scratching their heads as well. It's at best a lateral move (and it could be argued it's a step down) in everything but $. But money talks, and going from $250,000 to $450,000 is nothing to sneeze at.

Moving from Brookings to Dayton a head scratcher?
Don't get me wrong, I love the Brookings area for hunting and fishing, but my hunch is that Nagy is looking for something better. Nearly doubling your salary is another good reason. Wright State is a nice school.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Brookings area for hunting and fishing, but my hunch is that Nagy is looking for something better. Nearly doubling your salary is another good reason. Wright State is a nice school.

Still Wright State is not really a step up. Hard to believe he hasn't turned down better offers in recent years. Why now? Why there?

Agree. My wife attended SDSU when Nagy started. He had young kids at the time. Now likely an empty nester and 5yrs after the jump to D1 with a winning track record. Time to move up. Better city. Better pay. Better access to players. probably not a ton of pressure to win right away. If he does well, he will make a jump to bigger and better at age 55 and really cash in. Seems like a decent move for Nagy.

Still Wright State is not really a step up. Hard to believe he hasn't turned down better offers in recent years. Why now? Why there?
At face value, the two schools along with 150 others are about the same to us casual observers of non Major Conference college basketball. But Wright State, it's in Dayton right?, probably has a bigger urban community, his salary goes up 200K and for Nagy he might feel that he has more to work with their than in Brookings in terms of program budget, facilities, recruiting backyard, Nagy may view it as he may be able to accomplish more at Wright State with more resources than he can at SDSU

Agree. My wife attended SDSU when Nagy started. He had young kids at the time. Now likely an empty nester and 5yrs after the jump to D1 with a winning track record. Time to move up. Better city. Better pay. Better access to players. probably not a ton of pressure to win right away. If he does well, he will make a jump to bigger and better at age 55 and really cash in. Seems like a decent move for Nagy.

Not an empty nester- has a 16 and two 13 year-olds.

Dang, first I've heard of that. Article I looked up said it was reported by Jeff Goodman, which makes me a tad skeptical. He's a bit of a dweeb.

I have an inside source on the team, I should have beat Goodman to it. ;)

Conference wise this is a pretty lateral move. After 21 years it's possible Nagy wanted a change and nearly doubling his salary helps. SDSU also loses 3 Senior starters and next year's team likely will not be as good. He's just striking while the iron is hot.

At face value, the two schools along with 150 others are about the same to us casual observers of non Major Conference college basketball. But Wright State, it's in Dayton right?, probably has a bigger urban community, his salary goes up 200K and for Nagy he might feel that he has more to work with their than in Brookings in terms of program budget, facilities, recruiting backyard, Nagy may view it as he may be able to accomplish more at Wright State with more resources than he can at SDSU

Tim Miles went from NDSU to Colorado State. That made obvious sense. This, not so much. Bigger city? Yes, though probably the 3rd most popular program in that city (at best). Better facilities/support? Debatable, I'd go with SDSU.

Tim Miles went from NDSU to Colorado State. That made obvious sense. This, not so much. Bigger city? Yes, though probably the 3rd most popular program in that city (at best). Better facilities/support? Debatable, I'd go with SDSU.

450K>250K. Also like I said at face value they seem to be the same, and SDSU definitely has it's advantages too, clearly Nagy thought this was a better option for his personal reasons. People make jumps that seem like lateral moves all the time. On a much bigger scale ole golly gee wiz Roy went from Kansas to UNC Cuonzo Martin (sp) went from Tennessee to Cal. Vandy's coach just went to PITT. PITT's former coach took a step down IMO to coach TCU. Huggie bear went from KSU to West Virginia. You might think SDSU is better because of what Nagy did with it, if he does the same thing at Wright state and the rabbits take a step down, than the narrative changes and he has deeper pockets

per SI:

Vanderbilt is expected to hire Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew, with a source close to the situation saying a deal will likely be in place in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Drew has gone 125-49 in the past five years at Valparaiso, including two NCAA Tournament appearances. This season Drew coached the Crusaders to a 30-7 record and an appearance in the NIT championship game, where they fell to George Washington.

He’ll replace Kevin Stallings, who left the program for Pittsburgh late last month.

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...erbilt-valparaiso-commodores-basketball-coach

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Having been on both campuses and in both cities, it's not even a debate. Dayton is a great city, an hour from Cincinnati and Columbus. A great place for a family.....especially one with kids nearing college age. Lots more college options close to home in that area!

450K>250K. Also like I said at face value they seem to be the same, and SDSU definitely has it's advantages too, clearly Nagy thought this was a better option for his personal reasons. People make jumps that seem like lateral moves all the time. On a much bigger scale ole golly gee wiz Roy went from Kansas to UNC Cuonzo Martin (sp) went from Tennessee to Cal. Vandy's coach just went to PITT. PITT's former coach took a step down IMO to coach TCU. Huggie bear went from KSU to West Virginia. You might think SDSU is better because of what Nagy did with it, if he does the same thing at Wright state and the rabbits take a step down, than the narrative changes and he has deeper pockets

People make lateral moves, but usually there's a reason. Huggins, Ol Roy and Jamie Wright from your above examples all went to coach for their Alma Mater. Cuanzo Martin was (undeservedly) disliked at Tennessee and bolted. The only part of this that makes sense is $$, but I tend to think SDSU could have shook T Denny's couch cushions and and come up with that if given the chance.

Having been on both campuses and in both cities, it's not even a debate. Dayton is a great city, an hour from Cincinnati and Columbus. A great place for a family.....especially one with kids nearing college age. Lots more college options close to home in that area!

Fair enough. As with some of the other moves like Stollings, it's not so much that he left SDSU, it's that he's probably turned down better offers than Wright State in the past 21 years.

People make lateral moves, but usually there's a reason. Huggins, Ol Roy and Jamie Wright from your above examples all went to coach for their Alma Mater. Cuanzo Martin was (undeservedly) disliked at Tennessee and bolted. The only part of this that makes sense is $$, but I tend to think SDSU could have shook T Denny's couch cushions and and come up with that if given the chance.

Maybe they had the chance, you don't think after 20 plus years of loyalty Nagy didn't give them a chance to counter offer? Other coaches have had their agents use other jobs to get their clients a bigger salary, pretty sure Hoiberg did that in Ames when our job was open. Maybe Nagy just wanted a change of scenery, or there were somethings that made the job an upgrade his eyes, doesn't mean someone else wouldn't view SDSU in a more favorable light. When things seem like a lateral move it can come down to individual preferences, of course nearly doubling your salary helps too. FWIW I see your point, I thought he would hold out for a bigger mid major, maybe when Archie leaves he can take over Dayton if Wright state has immediate success

Wow - can't even make this up. UNLV may lose their coach after a week or two:

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

That would not make any sense.

I'll say Beard is a flop at either school. But can't say I blame the guy for capitalizing on Purdue's meltdown that handed his UALR squad a gift 1st-round win.

Go Gophers!!

Uh oh. We might have to fire up the Pitino rumor mill thread if that happens...

Top Bottom