2016 college basketball coaching firings/changes thread

per CBS:

Grant McCasland. Arkansas State has hired McCasland, a Baylor assistant, as its next head basketball coach, sources told CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein. An official announcement is expected soon. McCasland has spent the past few seasons with the Bears under Scott Drew and has been an integral part of Baylor's perennial success in the Big 12. Arkansas State finished 11-20 this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-ucf-coach-donnie-jones-out-after-six-seasons

Go Gophers!!

Considering academics were a big part of his decision to go there, I would be surprised if he transfered. Stanford has enough to sell, where they can probably lure a pretty solid coach as well. If he does transfer, I would definitely take him.

Trent Johnson is available. He voluntarily went from Stanford to LSU to TCU. Who thinks that's a logical career path?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Didn't they just bring in a really good recruiting class or two? What the heck happened there?

He proved to be a very average coach and Stanford likely feels they can do better. Eight seasons at Stanford with a 66-78 conference record and only two conference seasons above .500. More importantly, only one NCAA tourney appearance. Another flop from the Coach K coaching tree.

He proved to be a very average coach and Stanford likely feels they can do better. Eight seasons at Stanford with a 66-78 conference record and only two conference seasons above .500. More importantly, only one NCAA tourney appearance. Another flop from the Coach K coaching tree.
It seems similar to Tubby Smith at Minnesota.

Rob Jeter officially out at UW-Milwaukee. He would be an interesting veteran coach to add to Pitino's staff...experienced as a head coach yet still young enough, and experienced in the Midwest.

It seems similar to Tubby Smith at Minnesota.

Other than he only made the Tournament once (Sweet Sixteen, to his credit, though I'm sure he had a gift of a draw with disinterested opponents), was at or below .500 overall 3 times, and was given 8 seasons instead of 6 (despite following a far more accomplished predecessor than Monson)...yes, it was very similar.

Other than he only made the Tournament once (Sweet Sixteen, to his credit, though I'm sure he had a gift of a draw with disinterested opponents), was at or below .500 overall 3 times, and was given 8 seasons instead of 6 (despite following a far more accomplished predecessor than Monson)...yes, it was very similar.

Other than Tubby never finishing above .500 in the conference and never having a player drafted. Yes, it was very similar.

Other than Tubby never finishing above .500 in the conference and never having a player drafted. Yes, it was very similar.

Colton Iverson and Royce White wer both drafted, unless we're giving 100% of the credit to the other coaches they played for. Mbakwe could maybe have in the NBA as well, I think he's doing quite well in Europe.

Colton Iverson and Royce White wer both drafted, unless we're giving 100% of the credit to the other coaches they played for. Mbakwe could maybe have in the NBA as well, I think he's doing quite well in Europe.

ahh, if you saw colton here and colton with the csu staff, then yes, you know where that credit deserves. just ask colton, he was quite vocal about it.

a ton of guys "could" have gotten drafted, but didn't.

I really don't want to get involved in this conversation but to suggest that Royce White's draft into the NBA has anything to do with Tubby Smith is kinda funny.

Per Jeff Borzello:

Delaware has parted ways with head coach Monte Ross, sources told ESPN.

I think you could give most of the credit to CSU for Iverson as he really improved as a senior. He was not in line to get drafted after his junior season. Whatever it was (just a change of scenery, better system for him, coaching staff, etc), it clicked for him there.

I think you could give most of the credit to CSU for Iverson as he really improved as a senior. He was not in line to get drafted after his junior season. Whatever it was (just a change of scenery, better system for him, coaching staff, etc), it clicked for him there.

He also was not a marked man by the refs at CSU. After that altercation with an MSU player (I think), Colton was labeled a thug in the B1G and never had the freedom to play. I'm sure the platooning with Ralph didn't help him either. It was not hard to see that he had pro potential early on with his size and work ethic, though. Is he on an NBA roster, now? He has that classic build of a ten minute a game guy for 12 years, which could earn him a pretty good living.

He also was not a marked man by the refs at CSU. After that altercation with an MSU player (I think), Colton was labeled a thug in the B1G and never had the freedom to play. I'm sure the platooning with Ralph didn't help him either. It was not hard to see that he had pro potential early on with his size and work ethic, though. Is he on an NBA roster, now? He has that classic build of a ten minute a game guy for 12 years, which could earn him a pretty good living.

Looks like his first three years have been all in Europe:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/colton-iverson-1.html

Go Gophers!!

This won't make Memphis fans happy at all:

Go Gophers!!

Must be someone from badgermaniac:

Go Gophers!!

Er, Jamie Dixon to TCU? Did not see that coming.

It's his Alma Mater right? Otherwise it's obviously a huge step down program-wise

It is his alma mater and given the unrest among Pitt fans (fair or not) this gives Dixon a clean start at a program where he'll have a heroes welcome.

Go Gophers!!

It is his alma mater and given the unrest among Pitt fans (fair or not) this gives Dixon a clean start at a program where he'll have a heroes welcome.

Go Gophers!!
Seems like he's struggled a bit since the move to the ACC relative to his own previous success, but wow he's had a better career than I imagined: Only 2 losing conference seasons at Pitt in 13 years (though both occurred in the past 5 years), only missed the tournament TWICE in 13 years, 2 conference championships and 3 2nd place finishes.

Excellent coach and by all accounts an excellent human being. He did well without marquee talent in most of his time at Pitt. There must be something personal there. If he thought the ACC was tough, it will seem like a cakewalk compared to the Big XII. There ain't no Boston College's in the Big XII.

Is this really true or is it speculation? There is not a link to a news source in the thread.

Excellent coach and by all accounts an excellent human being. He did well without marquee talent in most of his time at Pitt. There must be something personal there. If he thought the ACC was tough, it will seem like a cakewalk compared to the Big XII. There ain't no Boston College's in the Big XII.

Is this really true or is it speculation? There is not a link to a news source in the thread.

There are pictures on the interwebs of him giving the horned frog sign with his family and the athletic director with the tag "look whose coming home"

Seems like he's struggled a bit since the move to the ACC relative to his own previous success, but wow he's had a better career than I imagined: Only 2 losing conference seasons at Pitt in 13 years (though both occurred in the past 5 years), only missed the tournament TWICE in 13 years, 2 conference championships and 3 2nd place finishes.

he was not going to be able to win anything above top 3 in the ACC.

This would be a good hire for UNLV:

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom