2014 Golden Gopher prediction !!!!! 9-3 season?

froggopher

Reaction score
Howdy Gopher fans, I really feel that this fall is the big time for Golden Gopher Football!!! I predict a 9-3 season with an upset over Ohio State at TCF!!!!! We will also defeat Nebraska and Wisconsin on the road!! Go, Go, Gophers!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Howdy Gopher fans, I really feel that this fall is the big time for Golden Gopher Football!!! I predict a 9-3 season with an upset over Ohio State at TCF!!!!! We will also defeat Nebraska and Wisconsin on the road!! Go, Go, Gophers!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'll have whatever he's having! It'd be great, but I think our schedule is just too tough. We'll be much improved but probably win fewer games than in 2013.

I'll have whatever he's having! It'd be great, but I think our schedule is just too tough. We'll be much improved but probably win fewer games than in 2013.

The schedule isn't tougher and we won't lose fewer games, we will be one of the most improved teams in the big ten for a 3rd straight year and i would be disappointed with anything leas then 9 wins. A non biased website even predicted us to be in the top 25, 3rd in the Big Ten and ahead of Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin.

OSU next year will be equivalent to this years MSU, Wisconsin will be worse, Iowa, Nebraska and maybe Michigan will be the same as last year, We lose Penn State and Indiana to Illinois and Purdue both of which will be easier games. Northwestern will be better probably and TCU will probably be a little better but they only won 4 games and i would be disappointed with a loss at Fort Worth. They will be equivalent to last years SJSU who will pummeled. SJSU will be worse with the loss of Fales. The other 2 are guarantees. The schedule is not easier nor harder then last year.

to be honest i consider this a realistic goal, anything more then 10 would be unrealistic but so would anything less then 8 with the core of our roster coming back, the second most amount of returning starters among the big ten and the new recruits that we have coming in that will provide an influx of talent and explosiveness at the skill positions that we lacked last year. You probably predicted 3 wins in 2012 and 5 wins in 2013, Well guess what. We won 6 games in 2012, 3 more then the previous year, and 8 games this year, 2 more then the previous year. Zero reason to expect anything less then an improvement in win totals from last year to next year and a disappointment if otherwise.

Then who do we lose to?

I don't know but next year there isn't anybody on next years schedule where i say we have zero shot. Every game we have a chance. I haven't been able to say that in a very long time.

If the Gophers can escape key injuries this season, they are going to be rocking.

They've got the most team depth in a long time, a more experienced OL, a fleet of RBs, and the WR position has added a few promising players. Hopefully, some of them become play makers.

Defensively, we lost a lot of power in the middle. But, they'll play defense by committee to make up for that.

Getting two of three - the Pig, Jug, or the Axe back will be huge for the Gopher Nation psyche.

I am excited to finally see Nate Wozniak (Tall Timber!), Jonah Pirsig, and Berkley Edwards play not to mention Jeff Jones if he qualifies.

The schedule isn't tougher and we won't lose fewer games, we will be one of the most improved teams in the big ten for a 3rd straight year and i would be disappointed with anything leas then 9 wins. A non biased website even predicted us to be in the top 25, 3rd in the Big Ten and ahead of Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin.

OSU next year will be equivalent to this years MSU, Wisconsin will be worse, Iowa, Nebraska and maybe Michigan will be the same as last year, We lose Penn State and Indiana to Illinois and Purdue both of which will be easier games. Northwestern will be better probably and TCU will probably be a little better but they only won 4 games and i would be disappointed with a loss at Fort Worth. They will be equivalent to last years SJSU who will pummeled. SJSU will be worse with the loss of Fales. The other 2 are guarantees. The schedule is not easier nor harder then last year.

to be honest i consider this a realistic goal, anything more then 10 would be unrealistic but so would anything less then 8 with the core of our roster coming back, the second most amount of returning starters among the big ten and the new recruits that we have coming in that will provide an influx of talent and explosiveness at the skill positions that we lacked last year. You probably predicted 3 wins in 2012 and 5 wins in 2013, Well guess what. We won 6 games in 2012, 3 more then the previous year, and 8 games this year, 2 more then the previous year. Zero reason to expect anything less then an improvement in win totals from last year to next year and a disappointment if otherwise.

I disagree with a lot of what you say, but I truly hope you're right. 9-3 with this schedule will probably represent the greatest Gopher season of my life (I'm 33). The last three games are most certainly losses, so at 9-0 we will probably be ranked in the top 10 in the country. I just don't know if I see it...

I disagree with a lot of what you say, but I truly hope you're right. 9-3 with this schedule will probably represent the greatest Gopher season of my life (I'm 33). The last three games are most certainly losses, so at 9-0 we will probably be ranked in the top 10 in the country. I just don't know if I see it...

I would not say the last three games will be losses. We beat ourselves our last three games of the season this year. We will be better next year if we stay healthy. lets all just worry about Easter Illinois right now.

What is the problem with Easter in Illinois?

Maybe it's just the fallout of watching Gopher FB since the mid-60's, but I get nervous when I read people making (what I consider) wildly optimistic predictions.

When people starting talking about "guaranteed" wins, in my mind's eye I see the football Gods grumbling, "Gopher fans are getting pretty cocky - better knock them down a peg and send some bad luck the Gophers' way."

Call me a pessimist, or a realist, but my goal for Gopher FB is the same every year - win at least 6 games and make it to a bowl game. To ask, or expect more than that, amounts to tempting fate in my twisted view of reality.

Sure, I would be thrilled with a 9-win season, or a victory in a significant bowl game, but I will never predict that - it just goes against my grain as a Gopher fan of almost 5 decades.

To sum up - If you expect disaster, you will never be disappointed, and some years you will be pleasantly surprised. (Of course, this is my same approach to the Twins, Vikings, Wild, and Gopher Hoops......)

Maybe it's just the fallout of watching Gopher FB since the mid-60's, but I get nervous when I read people making (what I consider) wildly optimistic predictions.

When people starting talking about "guaranteed" wins, in my mind's eye I see the football Gods grumbling, "Gopher fans are getting pretty cocky - better knock them down a peg and send some bad luck the Gophers' way."

Call me a pessimist, or a realist, but my goal for Gopher FB is the same every year - win at least 6 games and make it to a bowl game. To ask, or expect more than that, amounts to tempting fate in my twisted view of reality.

Sure, I would be thrilled with a 9-win season, or a victory in a significant bowl game, but I will never predict that - it just goes against my grain as a Gopher fan of almost 5 decades.

To sum up - If you expect disaster, you will never be disappointed, and some years you will be pleasantly surprised. (Of course, this is my same approach to the Twins, Vikings, Wild, and Gopher Hoops......)

Does your dismal view include date certain for Ragnarok?

I'd be shocked if we don't win 10 games.

Tailgating before the UNLV game last year, I said the benchmark for a successful season was 8 wins. They hit it and damn near passed it. I think 9 regular seasons is a realistic expectation next fall.

The goal for the next two seasons should be winning the west. That will require going atleast 10-2 while winning 2 out of 3 against Wiscy, Iowa, and Nebraska. Tough, yes, but not unrealistic considering what they did last fall.

I'd be shocked if we don't win 10 games.

So I take it you're easily shocked.:rolleyes: Personally I am predicting that we are going to play 13 games this season. There are way too many things that can happen during a football season that impacts the win/loss record, but I do agree with Kill that the offense will be better. Other than that I am optimistic that I am going to enjoy this season.

Road schedule very tough. I'd be happy with eight wins, plus - finally - a bowl victory as the ninth.

There will be times that Hageman will be sorely missed this year. I hope the improvement/depth make up for his departure on the D-Line.

Ornery,

You've spent too much time in the cellar jail. Better get used to the new normal.

There will be times that Hageman will be sorely missed this year. I hope the improvement/depth make up for his departure on the D-Line.

This. We'll be slightly better on offense (I believe), about even on defense and play a much tougher schedule. That doesn't appear to mean more wins. Great if it does, but I'm with Ornery...a bowl game is all I want for Christmas. Anything more is cake...

This. We'll be slightly better on offense (I believe), about even on defense and play a much tougher schedule. That doesn't appear to mean more wins. Great if it does, but I'm with Ornery...a bowl game is all I want for Christmas. Anything more is cake...

The offense will be superior next to year then this year with 10 returning starters(If you count Liedner and Lauer starters), plenty of new guys at the skill positions that will provide more explosiveness(Berkley, JJ and Melvin Holland) and the D will be slightly more improved, losing Hageman, Manuel, Hill and Vereen is equivalent to losing Wilhite, Rallis, Cooper and Michael Carter and we also lost Stoudenmire so i would say we lose less this year then we did last year and our defense got better even with those losses of seniors, Kill has even said that we will be deeper so i will expect slight improvement on D. Lastly the schedule isn't harder, i already went over that.

He only played half the snaps. We will be fine there. 8 wins in the regular season would be great. I just hope we have fewer unwatchable games this year on O.

He only played half the snaps. We will be fine there. 8 wins in the regular season would be great. I just hope we have fewer unwatchable games this year on O.

I'm not predicting doom and gloom. However, the game begins in the trenches. We may be fine, but I'm not going to predict or expect a better season. We probably won a game or two we shouldn't have. We probably lost a game (Syracuse) that we shouldn't have. Hageman, while still raw and relatively underdeveloped, is the biggest menace we have seen on the d-line in many years, and I don't expect him to be replaced. Could more consistent play across the d-line and the LBs and secondary make up for it? Maybe. I do think our offense will be improved, but we still may have problems passing. We will have more playmakers on offense. We will have more depth on defense. Will we be able to get the ball to our playmakers through the air? Will the improved consistency across the defense make up for the loss of some key players? Maybe. Do we have the potential to be better than last year? Absolutely, but I'm not completely sold on it. Like others have said - I expect a bowl, but from there, I am willing to see how it all unfolds.

I kind of get what you are saying about tempting fate, but if you are at all ok (even making it a GOAL!) with winning 6 games a year and making a bowl game, why do you put yourself through rooting for the Gophers? I just don't understand the mindset that some people have of being at all ok with not being relevant in football.

I'd counter your line of thinking with expecting disaster has more often than not brought about disaster for most of the teams you root for. I guess if you set the bar low enough (minor bowl games and continued irrelevance), you'll rarely be disappointed? Do you set the bar at 8-8 for the Vikings and 81 wins for the Twins? NIT for Gopher BB? I don't think you are unique in the Minnesota sports fan base, but it doesn't seem like lowering the bar of expectations/hope has done much good for any of the local teams.

Tis the season for optimism.

I want the Gophers to be in a position to be contenders rather than pretenders come November. And be in the hunt for a BIG crown going into the last game. Both are very tall orders and lots of tough teams to face. But I like the direction Coach Kill is taking the team.

Being an old fart and experienced way too many disappointments, I tend to side with Ornery.

I kind of get what you are saying about tempting fate, but if you are at all ok (even making it a GOAL!) with winning 6 games a year and making a bowl game, why do you put yourself through rooting for the Gophers? I just don't understand the mindset that some people have of being at all ok with not being relevant in football.

I'd counter your line of thinking with expecting disaster has more often than not brought about disaster for most of the teams you root for. I guess if you set the bar low enough (minor bowl games and continued irrelevance), you'll rarely be disappointed? Do you set the bar at 8-8 for the Vikings and 81 wins for the Twins? NIT for Gopher BB? I don't think you are unique in the Minnesota sports fan base, but it doesn't seem like lowering the bar of expectations/hope has done much good for any of the local teams.

I expect us to contend for BIG titles every few years, but I don't want my hopes to hinge on one season. If Kill's pinnacle is 8-5, or 9-4, or even 10-3, then I will eventually want to see him go. For each individual season I will try to be realistic, and go along for whatever ride our Gophers take us.

Without going in and trying to project game by game I think a reasonable expectation for the regular season should be 8-4. I would say anything under 7 wins would be a massive disappointment and anything over 9 wins would be a huge step in the right direction.

I guess I'm not optimistic enough to go out on a limb and say we will have 9 wins but I think 7 is doable. That said I don't think 9 would be out of the question though. An upset or two is certainly possible. I'm just not sure I can expect an upset. If I did expect it then it wouldn't be much of an upset would it? The gophers have good depth and now we just need some playmakers to emerge.

vs. Eastern Illinois W
vs. Middle Tennessee State W
at TCU W
vs. San Jose State W
at Michigan L
vs. Northwestern W
vs. Purdue W
at Illinois W
vs. Iowa W
vs. Ohio State L
at Nebraska W
at Wisconsin L

9-3 (5-3)

I think that's a pretty realistic prediction. If not winning at Nebraska, maybe pulling an upset in one of those other 3 probable losses. Just win the games you should and good things will happen.

We may finally be able to use the screen pass and quick slants more effectively with Berkeley and JJ. I still firmly believe that D.Jones has elite talent and I expect that to start showing this year. Those things will both help our offense a lot - both in the pass and run game. Add in the experience we have on the OL and our offense has to be better - maybe a lot better. I believe that Clayes will adjust to the players we have like he always does and the D will be solid. He is a very good defensive coach. I also don't believe our schedule is much tougher this year. I fully expect us to win 10-games. Likely 9 in the regular season and hopefully a Bowl Game that doesn't get played in Houston.

Do you set the bar at 8-8 for the Vikings and 81 wins for the Twins?

You can't compare college and professional sports in this regard. Professional sports try to legislate as much parity into the game as possible. Major college sports are inherently almost entirely lacking parity (scholarship limits, practice hour limits, etc. being the few attempts to inject parity) and it's very tough to move up and down in the "caste system" in major college football due to the large roster sizes and the amount of recruiting/momentum/time needed to do so. Teams go from worst to first all the time in pro sports. That almost never happens in college.

Top Bottom