12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pulley champions the attitude that, if you choose to attend Minnesota, you're "settling." I wonder how many athletes he's steered away from the U.

He better get his ego in check because it doesn't look like Pitino and his staff will pander to it. It has already been established that the emphasis is to recruit nationally and if we get one or two recruits in-state, then so be it. Pulley has rode Tyus for the past 3 years and it ends after this summer. The majority of the instate talent will be on the 15U and 16U D1 Minnesota Adidas teams (both nationally ranked by fivestar). Wouldn't be surprised if Jarvis Johnson went back to D1 after this summer.

He better get his ego in check because it doesn't look like Pitino and his staff will pander to it. It has already been established that the emphasis is to recruit nationally and if we get one or two recruits in-state, then so be it. Pulley has rode Tyus for the past 3 years and it ends after this summer. The majority of the instate talent will be on the 15U and 16U D1 Minnesota Adidas teams (both nationally ranked by fivestar). Wouldn't be surprised if Jarvis Johnson went back to D1 after this summer.
More likely the the opposite happens.

Pulley champions the attitude that, if you choose to attend Minnesota, you're "settling." I wonder how many athletes he's steered away from the U.

All the more reason for HS coaches and parents to steer elite athletes to his competition (D1). Good for Rashad that he didn't get sucked into the ol' boy's club.

http://www.minnesotapumpnrun.com/
5th Annual D1 Summer Classic (NCAA CERTIFIED)
When: July 18-21, 2013
Where: Bloomington, MN
Ages: 14U-17U

Do any of you even know Rene Pulley, or what he says to kids? Honestly, Rene has done a great deal of good in promoting his program and elevating the status and exposure for kids in AAU basketball in this state than most. He just really likes doing it, and the bottom-line is that his efforts have helped a lot of kids get opportunities to go to college when they otherwise wouldn't. He doesn't steer kids away from the U, he tells them to get the best possible opportunity they can. Why should he steer kids to the U? His motivation is to help the kids get the best opportunity, not to cater to Tubby, Pitino, or anyone else.

It's incredibly hard to compete with Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. for the best kids. That's why it will be a real coup if Jones or Vaughn choose the U; we can all hope, and think it will work out, but it's really, really hard to compete with that. It has nothing to do with Rene Pulley, it's a fact of college basketball; the best programs get the best kids.

Why would you say he steered anyone away from there?

I'm sure he wants as many players as possible to leave the state for high profile programs, it only adds to his relevance helps him to build his profile. He can tout that he develops players for the blue chip programs and there is always the fallback of the Gophers. I'm sure that is what he tells kids, or at least some form of that pitch.

I'm sure he wants as many players as possible to leave the state for high profile programs, it only adds to his relevance helps him to build his profile. He can tout that he develops players for the blue chip programs and there is always the fallback of the Gophers. I'm sure that is what he tells kids, or at least some form of that pitch.

Even if that's true that's good for his program but it comes down to the kids decision not the program he plays for.

Fortunately the kids aren't impressionable or easily influenced.

LOL +1

I get very unhappy when I see anyone influential in the MN basketball community making any negative inference about the Gopher program. Sure they don't have to "steer all of their players" to the U, but ... I think that they should hold the U out as a top tier opportunity. And it's certainly reasonable to do that right now. For Pulley to say the U is "down on talent" is asinine.

I read Pulley's remarks as kind of sour grapes toward Vaughn ... knowing that Vaughn is realistically considering the U and Pulley taking a shot at him.

LOL +1

I get very unhappy when I see anyone influential in the MN basketball community making any negative inference about the Gopher program. Sure they don't have to "steer all of their players" to the U, but ... I think that they should hold the U out as a top tier opportunity. And it's certainly reasonable to do that right now. For Pulley to say the U is "down on talent" is asinine.

I read Pulley's remarks as kind of sour grapes toward Vaughn ... knowing that Vaughn is realistically considering the U and Pulley taking a shot at him.

Agreed. What round of the NCAA did North Carolina make this year? How about Baylor? Ok, great, neither of them made it further than us (and Baylor didn't even make the tourney)....

Agreed. What round of the NCAA did North Carolina make this year? How about Baylor? Ok, great, neither of them made it further than us (and Baylor didn't even make the tourney)....

Did the Gophers not lose 3 starters?

He is almost 18 not 5.

Your point?

You don't think 16-18 year olds are impressionable?

Of course they are easily influenced. It's why the military likes kids fresh out of HS, it's why a good coach can turn a troubled kids life around.

I don't know much about Rene Pulley personally, but I know enough people who know him to be a bit skeptical. I don't think he's dirty or doing anything that bad, but he's looking out for #1. Pulley kids going to the U is a given, his "stock" grows if he sends more players to schools out of state. It's really not that complicated. It's why grad schools prefer kids from different states (it makes them appear to cast a wider net).

You think Pulley would ever say," well you know Carolina had a bad year"? He wouldn't dare dis those programs in any way. The Gophers he will take shots at whenever he gets the chance. His latest is no Minnesota players at the U after Coleman left even though three started last season. In his world Pulley could send "his" top players to the elite and the mid major guys to the U.

Maybe this was what Tubby was talking about when he remarked that RP didn't know what he was getting into when he took the job. I haven't lived other places in the country, so I don't know how common it is for a local mover and shaker like Pulley to be working so contrary to the interests of the local Division 1 program.

Bad Gopher;719003[B said:
]Maybe this was what Tubby was talking about when he remarked that RP didn't know what he was getting into when he took the job.[/B] I haven't lived other places in the country, so I don't know how common it is for a local mover and shaker like Pulley to be working so contrary to the interests of the local Division 1 program.

I must have missed that. When was it?

Maybe this was what Tubby was talking about when he remarked that RP didn't know what he was getting into when he took the job. I haven't lived other places in the country, so I don't know how common it is for a local mover and shaker like Pulley to be working so contrary to the interests of the local Division 1 program.

This is one of the more ridiculous threads I have read, specifically regarding Rene Pulley. If I recall correctly, both Rodney and Royce White were Pulley guys, and they both went to the U. Rene Pulley does not owe the U anything, and he also doesn't speak poorly of the program. He wants to send his players to the best possible opportunities. If that is at the U, then he would be more than happy to send them there. Unfortunately, under Tubby the opportunity wasn't that good for his players, so why wouldn't he advise them to go elsewhere? He is trying to get kids scholarships at places where they will be successful on the court and in the classroom. If he has a good relationship with a kid, and doesn't think it would be a good fit at the U, why would he tell a kid to go there?

If that is at the U, then he would be more than happy to send them there.

Send them there?

Not saying this specifically about RP, but makes me sick how AAU guys pimp out their players and strongly influence their decisions.

RP looks for the very best situation for any of his guys.from the high end guys to D3. Just like a college student that has options for all over the country,so do athletes,even more so. I for one was elated when our kids picked schools out of state. I really think kids benefit a great deal when they get the chance to go away from home for school.

This is one of the more ridiculous threads I have read, specifically regarding Rene Pulley. If I recall correctly, both Rodney and Royce White were Pulley guys, and they both went to the U. Rene Pulley does not owe the U anything, and he also doesn't speak poorly of the program. He wants to send his players to the best possible opportunities. If that is at the U, then he would be more than happy to send them there. Unfortunately, under Tubby the opportunity wasn't that good for his players, so why wouldn't he advise them to go elsewhere? He is trying to get kids scholarships at places where they will be successful on the court and in the classroom. If he has a good relationship with a kid, and doesn't think it would be a good fit at the U, why would he tell a kid to go there?

Didn't every high major player from their go to the U besides Barnes under Tubby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom