12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaughn will be taking an unofficial to the U soon.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Big day yesterday for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> unofficial visits with Tyus Jones, Henry Ellenson and Reid Travis. Rashad Vaughn will be there this week, too</p>— PiPress Gophers Now (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/367755290709471232">August 14, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Per his summer coach Pete Kaffey, Rashad Vaughn will take an unofficial visit to Minnesota on Friday. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> getting some big visits here</p>— Eric Bossi (@ebosshoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/statuses/367794523448946688">August 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Rashad Vaughn's plan: Prep school, one year of college, NBA

Pitino and his staff are making Vaughn their top priority of the state's three highly touted Class of 2014 prospects, which includes Apple Valley's Tyus Jones and DeLaSalle's Reid Travis.

"He says, 'We need you to turn this around,' " Vaughn said of Pitino. "I think they have a shot just because my family is here. I'm going to be gone this year, so I think (my parents) would love for me to play here. I've just got a good relationship with coach Pitino and (assistant) coach Kimani (Young). ... So they have a chance."

Vaughn understands there's a lot of pressure for him to stay home. Moving away "makes it easier to deal with," he said.

But his plan is to get to the NBA as fast as he can.

"My dream has always been to go to the league," Vaughn said. "The quicker I can do it is how I want to do it. Going one-and-done, that's really what I want to do. But it's really the time you put into it."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23873568/rashad-vaughns-plan-prep-school-one-year-college

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Rashad Vaughn's plan: Prep school, one year of college, NBA

Pitino and his staff are making Vaughn their top priority of the state's three highly touted Class of 2014 prospects, which includes Apple Valley's Tyus Jones and DeLaSalle's Reid Travis.

"He says, 'We need you to turn this around,' " Vaughn said of Pitino. "I think they have a shot just because my family is here. I'm going to be gone this year, so I think (my parents) would love for me to play here. I've just got a good relationship with coach Pitino and (assistant) coach Kimani (Young). ... So they have a chance."

Vaughn understands there's a lot of pressure for him to stay home. Moving away "makes it easier to deal with," he said.

But his plan is to get to the NBA as fast as he can.

"My dream has always been to go to the league," Vaughn said. "The quicker I can do it is how I want to do it. Going one-and-done, that's really what I want to do. But it's really the time you put into it."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23873568/rashad-vaughns-plan-prep-school-one-year-college

Go Gophers!!

Kentucky bound.

Kentucky bound.

Hopefully he's smart enough to know that Calipari putting players in the NBA is a complete myth. Anyone who is willing to spend more than 5 seconds thinking about it realizes that Kentucky produces one-and-done players so frequently because they get so much talent. If these guys went to other schools, they would still be one and done. Calipari isn't bringing in 3-stars and magically turning them into lottery picks. Andrew Wiggins (I know he's going to Kansas) would be a lottery pick after one year even if he chose to go to Winona State. Point is, if you have the talent to play in the NBA, you'll play in the NBA.

Think about this Rashad... Shabazz Muhammed Top Ten player outta high school goes to UCLA get drafted 16th... C.J McCollum commits to Lehigh a school lower than MN and gets picked 9th..

Think about this Rashad... Shabazz Muhammed Top Ten player outta high school goes to UCLA get drafted 16th... C.J McCollum commits to Lehigh a school lower than MN and gets picked 9th..

And Damian Lillard, the NBA Rookie of the year and #6 pick in the draft, went to a school that the casual fan A) Can't pronounce and B) Probably has never even heard of.

Interesting how he mentions that moving away makes it easier to deal with. Let's be realistic...He's not coming back here.

Interesting how he mentions that moving away makes it easier to deal with. Let's be realistic...He's not coming back here.

I had no idea that was your opinion. He also mentions after being away, his parents will probably want him to come back. Let's be realistic...We don't know where he's going yet.

I had no idea that was your opinion. He also mentions after being away, his parents will probably want him to come back. Let's be realistic...We don't know where he's going yet.

I could see him want to come back home near his family for a year before he goes to the league. Plus he knows he'll be the man here which will help him showcase his talent for one year. I don't think we are out of it yet.

It would be fun to see Rashad play for the Gophers, but it always disappoints me when High School kids are more focused on the NBA than College basketball. It happens a lot these days. Two years ago Shabazz Muhammed was considered the number one player in his class. After one year at UCLA he got drafted by the Timberwolves, has already been sent home from the NBA intro program and his GM has indicated he may be playing in the NBADL this season. These young men need to realize that they need to continue to develop their game and mature before they are ready for the NBA. Setting a timetable up 2 years ahead will set many up for disappointment.

It would be fun to see Rashad play for the Gophers, but it always disappoints me when High School kids are more focused on the NBA than College basketball. It happens a lot these days. Two years ago Shabazz Muhammed was considered the number one player in his class. After one year at UCLA he got drafted by the Timberwolves, has already been sent home from the NBA intro program and his GM has indicated he may be playing in the NBADL this season. These young men need to realize that they need to continue to develop their game and mature before they are ready for the NBA. Setting a timetable up 2 years ahead will set many up for disappointment.

It's a bummer for college hoops fans, but unfortunately for the top players, getting to the NBA as quickly as possible is and imo should be priority #1. Playing in college would be an amazing experience, but how many of us would focus on staying in college when there are multi-million dollar contracts waiting to be signed? I wouldn't. Rashad is just being honest and not giving a canned answer.

Also, looking at Shabazz, I think it was the right decision for him to leave early. Sure, he didn't get drafted all that high, but he's still making almost 2 million dollars this year. Staying at UCLA could mean a career ending injury, getting furthur exposed and losing the stock he did have, etc.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Heard last night that Iowa State feels good about getting Macura for an official Sept. 14 weekend and Vaughn Nov. 17 weekend. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23cyclones&src=hash">#cyclones</a></p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/368357633012400128">August 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Iowa State will be hosting Michigan on November 17 fyi.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Heard last night that Iowa State feels good about getting Macura for an official Sept. 14 weekend and Vaughn Nov. 17 weekend. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23cyclones&src=hash">#cyclones</a></p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/368357633012400128">August 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!
Oh Boy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Vaughn's camp hopes <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> would be able to surround him with talent if he stayed home. That makes early signing period huge for Pitino.</p>— PiPress Gophers Now (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/368894642076401664">August 18, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Look, I know he's local, and he's a great player - but I have to admit I get turned off when I hear kids announcing that they want to be a 1-and-done player.

Is it worth it to spend all the time and effort recruiting a kid to have him for 1 year? I would think that, if you have a young coach like Pitino who wants to build a program, he would prefer to have kids for at least 2 or 3 years to build some continuity.

I don't want the Gophers to turn into Kentucky north, with a new crop of mercenaries coming in every year.

Look, I know he's local, and he's a great player - but I have to admit I get turned off when I hear kids announcing that they want to be a 1-and-done player.

Is it worth it to spend all the time and effort recruiting a kid to have him for 1 year? I would think that, if you have a young coach like Pitino who wants to build a program, he would prefer to have kids for at least 2 or 3 years to build some continuity.

I don't want the Gophers to turn into Kentucky north, with a new crop of mercenaries coming in every year.

I really don't think you have to worry about that. Certainly not anytime soon. If a player is good enough to lead a team to a great season, that just makes recruiting easier the next year. A one and done player every now and then is a good thing IMO. If we happen to get a commitment from Whitehead, Vaughn probably won't want to come here anyway. Would love to be wrong about that though.

would you be okay with being Kansas where you get maybe 1 1-and-done/yr or every other yr.? That is pretty much the recruiting classes you get when you bring in top 100 guys. Kentucky is Kentucky because they bring in pretty much exclusively top 20 talent.

I really don't think you have to worry about that. Certainly not anytime soon. If a player is good enough to lead a team to a great season, that just makes recruiting easier the next year. A one and done player every now and then is a good thing IMO. If we happen to get a commitment from Whitehead, Vaughn probably won't want to come here anyway. Would love to be wrong about that though.

I tend to think this way as well but you never know. It is reported that Vaughn wants to wait and see what kind of talent Minnesota can surround him with. I do think that it would be possible for Whitehead and Vaughn to coexist, especially with the uptempo offense we will have. If Vaughn's listed height of 6'6" is legit, I don't see why he couldn't play SF. The bigger problem would probably be with bringing in a PG as Dre wouldn't be able to slide over to the two. Would someone like Nairn be willing to come of the bench for a year? Obviously these would be very exciting problems to have.

disclaimer: I am in no way saying that I think that we'll be able to reel in Whitehead, Vaughn and Nairn anyway. It would seem we have a pretty darn good shot at any of the three so I wouldn't say it is impossible either. Just to be able to discuss it and not have it be a complete over the moon fairy tail is very exciting. And before I get someone on my back, I realize it all means very little unless some of these guys ultimately sign on NSD.

would you be okay with being Kansas where you get maybe 1 1-and-done/yr or every other yr.? That is pretty much the recruiting classes you get when you bring in top 100 guys. Kentucky is Kentucky because they bring in pretty much exclusively top 20 talent.

I know what he's getting at but for someone to say that they don't want to be like Kentucky is kind of laughable. We are talking about the program that won a national title two years ago and are considered by most to be the favorites again this year right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom