Youth Football

golden

Reaction score
Football was a BIG part of my youth, and high school days. Some of my favorite memories are on the football field....but I'm torn on letting my son play. I feel as if I'm going to make a big mistake either way if I let him play or don't let him play. Not letting him play, at least I won't have as bad of regret than if I do let him play and it has a lasting effect on his brain.

http://bringmethenews.com/2015/12/0...-link-between-youth-sports-and-brain-disease/

My thoughts- Pee wee football likely won't leave any affect on his brain. At least let him play that. Then see how he likes it.

I don't think you need to worry until the high school level. Thats when the discrepancy between body types has the biggest effect and injury probabilities rise.

I played from 4th grade up until my sophomore year of high school and before any serious injury, thank god. I lost a lot of interest because football practice is the absolute WORST.
My point is, you never want to be the one to say no, cause the kids will resent you, but to let them discover their tastes for or against themselves.

(I don't have kids yet so take that FWIW)

Other options vailable

My kids and I have been involved in our local FCA flag football league for the past 3 years and they really enjoy it. It helps them learn all aspects of the game without the hard contact (there still is some contact). I think it's a great starter program for youth football and can be played through 6th grade.

My nephew played 6th grade tackle this past year and went to the emergency room twice in 3 weeks and was diagnosed with concussions on both occasions. The doctor turned to the parents and said they should not let him play football anymore, but he does play hockey. And he is a larger boy for his age.

My thoughts- Pee wee football likely won't leave any affect on his brain. At least let him play that. Then see how he likes it.

I think there's just too much evidence of injury out there now. I have a 16 year old that plays and I've left it up to him. But I also have a 4 year old that I'll never have play. Plenty of other sports for kids to play out there. Hopefully they can make some advances in the equipment, or change the way the game is played without losing the excitement of it. I love watching and playing football. But it's just not worth the risk for the kids anymore.

Also on the pee-wee age they play with helmets that are full sized helmets its just the padding inside that is designed to fit their heads. A major concern is helmet size and weight for neck strength and stability. Thoughts are that pee-wee players don't have the neck strength or stability to handle the weight of a full sized helmet much less the impact of a head on hit.

I didn't let my son play tackle football. He loves sports and liked playing flag football in his early grade school years, but when tackle started when he was 10 we pulled him out. He is still pissed about it, so it's a tough situation. What changed my mind was hearing Ben Utecht's story when he said he got his first concussion when he was something like 10. My son isn't terribly athletic and may not have lasted until high school anyway, so we just didn't feel like it was worth the risk in our situation.

On the flip side, I don't feel like this is an "emerging problem". It's already here, and what we are dealing with right now should be somewhere around the peak. Precautions are being taken now and I think this will lessen the impact in the long run. Also, my 24-year old cousin has gotten 5 concussions in her life and suffers from headaches and a little bit of short term memory loss, and none of the concussions were from athletics. So concussions are still going to happen. Playing football will increase your chances yes, but you also increase your chances riding a bike. Each family needs to find that balance and make the best decision for themselves.

My son just finished his senior year of football. None of us will ever regret it. The lessons learned, the sacrifices made, etc. etc. all were well worth the potential dangers. My wife and I wouldn't think twice about doing it again. There a so many things to worry about in keeping a kid safe these days. Playing football is well down my list, especially considering all the benefits gained from what my college coach described as "the greatest man-building sport in the world."

Oh, and my son did have one concussion... playing basketball in 9th grade. Perhaps not the norm, but he was concussion-free in football, despite playing linebacker.

But hey, don't take it from me. This guy says it better than I could:

http://footballmatters.org/eastern-...s-powerful-letter-to-potential-football-moms/

Football was a BIG part of my youth, and high school days. Some of my favorite memories are on the football field....but I'm torn on letting my son play. I feel as if I'm going to make a big mistake either way if I let him play or don't let him play. Not letting him play, at least I won't have as bad of regret than if I do let him play and it has a lasting effect on his brain.

http://bringmethenews.com/2015/12/0...-link-between-youth-sports-and-brain-disease/

Do you have brain damage from your playing days? I played, had 2 concussions, and have no ill effects. I work in scientific research. I use my brain everyday regardless of what my posting history on gopherhole suggests.
The story is not written on this research. It's just not. Alot of the alarm that's being portrayed as a crisis is media driven.
It may end up being as damaging as some think it is, but likely through careful research there will not only be better tools for understanding how the brain is injured from concussions, but also how to recover from them, and how to repair that damage later on if necessary.

It's not an all or nothing issue as most things are not in this world.

Football is in my opinion the greatest team game ever conceived. It teaches so many important life lessons other sports just cannot replicate.

Ultimately this is a free country and whatever decision you make is your to make, but I'd be careful counting upon alot of the headlines you see as unbiased fact.

Even this most recent finding from the Mayo discussed the need for further research into genetic markers that seem to correlate with the CTE damage they were specifically looking for.
In addition most samples(45 of the 66) of athletes came back negative for CTE.
Here's a good diagram describing the research, and a link to the paper.401_2015_1502_Fig1_HTML.jpg
http://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00401-015-1502-4/fulltext.html
A few notes not necessarily discounting this research, but more illustrating the difficulty in quickly researching this issue.

The brain bank is one of neurological diseases, with a small number of control brains. Makes sense since they do research on brain diseases, but it does bias the overall population as being intrinsically "brain diseased". They mention at the end of this paper that it is imperative to screen other brain banks for controls.

I also find some issue with the fact that 65 of the 66 brains were caucasian, this is not a great representation of the overall population, it's what they have on hand, they need more brains!

It's also somewhat disingenuous of the headlines to characterize this as amateur athlete brains since these are mostly old men who donated their brains after the onset of a neurological disease in their old age. I would also wonder what the concussion protocols most recently adopted are doing to the athletes. In a 78 year old man he would have played in the 50's or 60's, when a concussion protocol was to have a cigarette and a cup of coffee on the sidelines and get back out there.

I really look forward to the research becoming complete on this issue, I almost see it as a space race into the brain that could unlock all sorts of potential discoveries not the least of which could be cures for some awful diseases. In the mean time let the kid play peewee if he wants to and make a decision on his future when he hits high school and possibly when the research is more complete.

Agree with some of you that the science and research isn't there yet to specifically directly link a lot of it to football, but for me there's enough. I also have to disagree that no other sport can teach life lessons like football can. Especially looking at the behavioral issues with football players in college and the pro's, compared to hockey and even basketball. Come to think of it, there are quite a few teammates from my high school football team that turned into total a$$ hats and failures. And that was after being coached by "old school" coaches that supposedly taught men to be real men!

Again for me the risk isn't worth it when there are other options like hockey and lacrosse. Which will probably both be linked to CTE in the near future too and I'll have to figure out how to pay for golf lessons! :)

I never played football but my brother did. My mom wasn't gonna sign the permission slip until my brother said he would "Rather die trying then not to play football". My parents explained the risks to him and then signed it.

My thing is fairly simple: The vast majority of concussion issues we see are with guys playing high level college and pro ball. Meaning they're playing for longer and against bigger and stronger athletes. Seriously if youth and HS football was so dangerous shouldn't the general male population be considerably brain damaged right now? Seriously? In addition at this point we're far more aware and cautious of head injuries so kids now are far more protected than they've ever been and having far less contact even in practice than ever before. I coached my sons team and if a kid even has a headache he's not allowed back to practice until a doctor fully clears him. That said, football is a sport where for the most part, you can start playing in 8th grade and be just fine if you're athletic enough. Its not a 'skill' sport like basketball where if you don't start until middle school you're behind the curve. My son started playing flag at 4 and tackle when he was 6 and played for 3 years until not playing the last 2 just due to time commitments and the fact that I want him to do different things and not just play FB (he played soccer this past year) and get burned out. I'm less worried about him because he's truly gifted athletically and would go games where he'd only be actually tackled once or twice and he was usually the one laying the wood. I have a 5 year old I may hold back a few more years even though he wants to play because I don't think he's quite as athletic or as ready for contact as his brother was at his age

There is risk in not taking risk, ladies.

I never played football but my brother did. My mom wasn't gonna sign the permission slip until my brother said he would "Rather die trying then not to play football". My parents explained the risks to him and then signed it.

I was involved in 5 concussions playing high school soccer. Three were collisions with goalies and defensemen, 2 were when I punched guys out for attacking a teammate and kicking me in the head.

If your kid is strong and aggressive, let him play.

Mine has never shown any interest in playing, and I haven't encouraged it either.

Agree with some of you that the science and research isn't there yet to specifically directly link a lot of it to football, but for me there's enough. I also have to disagree that no other sport can teach life lessons like football can. Especially looking at the behavioral issues with football players in college and the pro's, compared to hockey and even basketball. Come to think of it, there are quite a few teammates from my high school football team that turned into total a$$ hats and failures. And that was after being coached by "old school" coaches that supposedly taught men to be real men!

Again for me the risk isn't worth it when there are other options like hockey and lacrosse. Which will probably both be linked to CTE in the near future too and I'll have to figure out how to pay for golf lessons! :)

There are behavioral issues with humans in general. A$$hats and failure are just that: A$$hats and failures. There are plenty of wonderful and successful people that played football who would credit football for some part of their upbringing.

FWIW this study is taking into account other sports including hockey, basketball, baseball, boxing, wrestling, and rodeo. I have to think a critical step in this research will be studying the affects of all this in other sports. If for no other reason than a strong control to the contact sports. It's possible you'd find corollary effects or even possibly regenerative effects of multi sport athletes, it's my opinion that guys who played several sports stayed healthier.

I'm planning to let my kids play at least until they get their first concussion. After that we'll reassess. I'm probably biased because I played until my sophomore year of college with no concussions, but I don't think the risk is all that high in pee-wees. I understand wanting to protect your kids, but you have to let them experience things too. There's a short window for most people being able to play organized sports like football, and like Schnauzer said I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

My son is four. If he wants to play, I'm fine with that. Of course who knows what the state of the game will be at that point.

While I'm not trying to make light of the situation- it kind of reminds me of car seats for kids. In the not so distant past- I'm 41- kids rode home on their mom's laps in cars. Now- you are not allowed to take a baby home from the hospital without a car seat that has been inspected- deemed to not be 'out of date' and properly secured in the vehicle. If anyone ever considered not using a car seat they would be demonized and charged with child neglect.

It feels like the same thing is happening to football. I played it 5th grade through Senior in high school and never had a concussion or even thought about long term injuries. My son is begging me to let him play on a 'tackling' team next year when he will be 7 and I actually have had to think about it- risks and rewards. I know many folks will have their opinions on it- but there is risk with any sport. All sports have a threat of injury and concussion. Right now- he wants to play football. I would rather he got out and did something active than sit in the house playing video games which he would do if we let him. It kind of seems to me like the bigger problem is that we don't let kids be kids. I live in an area (NW metro) where the time commitment for almost any sport is insane and I'm talking about elementary age kids. It's like we are trying to groom our kids to be pros instead of letting them just have fun playing. Too many adults trying to live their dreams through their kids. More time in practice and more games = more injuries and kids get burned out. Not sure when things changed and there is no going back now.

While I'm not trying to make light of the situation- it kind of reminds me of car seats for kids. In the not so distant past- I'm 41- kids rode home on their mom's laps in cars. Now- you are not allowed to take a baby home from the hospital without a car seat that has been inspected- deemed to not be 'out of date' and properly secured in the vehicle. If anyone ever considered not using a car seat they would be demonized and charged with child neglect.

It feels like the same thing is happening to football. I played it 5th grade through Senior in high school and never had a concussion or even thought about long term injuries. My son is begging me to let him play on a 'tackling' team next year when he will be 7 and I actually have had to think about it- risks and rewards. I know many folks will have their opinions on it- but there is risk with any sport. All sports have a threat of injury and concussion. Right now- he wants to play football. I would rather he got out and did something active than sit in the house playing video games which he would do if we let him. It kind of seems to me like the bigger problem is that we don't let kids be kids. I live in an area (NW metro) where the time commitment for almost any sport is insane and I'm talking about elementary age kids. It's like we are trying to groom our kids to be pros instead of letting them just have fun playing. Too many adults trying to live their dreams through their kids. More time in practice and more games = more injuries and kids get burned out. Not sure when things changed and there is no going back now.

Thing with FB is to play tackle with any sort of quality, even in elementary school, is that you need at LEAST 2 practices a week. Where I live they took it far too seriously and we'd have 3 practices plus a walk through and then games so it was 4 days a week. Personally I think we could've got by with 2 efficient practices. I'd also say that if your kid is still somewhat uncoordinated like most 7 yr olds are, let him play flag for a few years. I coached the A team so we only took the kids that were both athletic AND aggressive but most of the other 50 kids in the program lacked one or the other at that age and don't benefit a ton from playing tackle. Of course they're also playing against other B and C teams so its not a big deal

Thing with FB is to play tackle with any sort of quality, even in elementary school, is that you need at LEAST 2 practices a week. Where I live they took it far too seriously and we'd have 3 practices plus a walk through and then games so it was 4 days a week. Personally I think we could've got by with 2 efficient practices. I'd also say that if your kid is still somewhat uncoordinated like most 7 yr olds are, let him play flag for a few years. I coached the A team so we only took the kids that were both athletic AND aggressive but most of the other 50 kids in the program lacked one or the other at that age and don't benefit a ton from playing tackle. Of course they're also playing against other B and C teams so its not a big deal

I agree with 2 practices for football. There really is no other sport like it- with each position's assignments so different. We have done 2 years of flag and he finds it very frustrating that its is so hard to get the flags off- that's why he's begging to play tackle. We will see where he's at when sign up starts- he may change his mind by then.

I agree with 2 practices for football. There really is no other sport like it- with each position's assignments so different. We have done 2 years of flag and he finds it very frustrating that its is so hard to get the flags off- that's why he's begging to play tackle. We will see where he's at when sign up starts- he may change his mind by then.

Yea. The other thing that is hard for a lot of kids (and really the parents) is positions. I've dealt with a few situations where parents thought their kids were really athletic only to have them playing OL or TE and never touching the ball. After playing flag or sometimes after being an RB on a B team, kids can get frustrated if they're not carrying the ball. Good coaches make the OL fun and exciting and also make defense fun too but it's something to consider. Also a kid may not be guaranteed a lot of PT either.

I agree with what most have said. Youth football can't do that much damage and once they get to high school it will be their decision anyways, much like it would be their decision to smoke cigarettes or chew tobacco.

I started playing in the 7th grade and don't see any reason to play tackle football at any younger age. Maybe make it 6th grade for school purposes and having school teams. Anything younger should be flag and teaching skills prior to all the equipment and hitting. Football just isn't the skill sport at most positions that you need to play at young ages. I always tell my son he will be better skilled playing catch with me in the back yard than playing on a youth football team. Play skill sports and then choose football at a later date.

There are behavioral issues with humans in general. A$$hats and failure are just that: A$$hats and failures. There are plenty of wonderful and successful people that played football who would credit football for some part of their upbringing.

FWIW this study is taking into account other sports including hockey, basketball, baseball, boxing, wrestling, and rodeo. I have to think a critical step in this research will be studying the affects of all this in other sports. If for no other reason than a strong control to the contact sports. It's possible you'd find corollary effects or even possibly regenerative effects of multi sport athletes, it's my opinion that guys who played several sports stayed healthier.

Agreed! I guess my point was, for me, the life lessons from football aren't worth the risk and that there are other opportunities for that type of experience.

Not letting my kid play.

I have several friends and family members that were starters on Nat'l champ teams in DIII. All of them have various lingering issues they don't think were worth it and now that the concussion evidence is mounting there's no way they're going to let their kids play.

Football is a tough sport in this day in age.

** First time a parent sees their kid not touching the ball.
** Lots of fear that their kid will be brain dead by playing.

If you continue to believe that sports can teach valuable lessons, then I think the lessons taught on the first point are invaluable for both the kid and the parent. If that lesson is taught at the youth level then they might continue to play sports beyond age 13 (National Alliance of Sports claims 70% drop by 13). Most of the research around concussion stuff I have read is at the high school level. I have told parents when the kids get bigger, faster and stronger then I'll be more concerned with potential concussions. In elementary school I would say the normal risks of playing a collision or contact sport are in affect.

I think FB is getting singled out on the concussion issue, when the risk of concussion is just as high in other sports. I've seen kids get concussions playing volleyball, hockey and basketball. Watch a basketball game, and see how many times kids' heads hit the court - and that's a bare head hitting a hardwood court. I knew a girl who drew a charge, hit the court and got a concussion mid-way through her sophomore year - and she never played another game. And yet, I don't see any hysterical articles crying out to do away with basketball.

I did joke during soccer games with "that is why my kid is going to just play football".

** Goalie gets kicked in the head
** Heads bounce off each other trying to go for a header.
** Ball gets kicked into another kids head.

Not letting my kid play.

I have several friends and family members that were starters on Nat'l champ teams in DIII. All of them have various lingering issues they don't think were worth it and now that the concussion evidence is mounting there's no way they're going to let their kids play.

So they all had an additional 4-5 years playing FB at a high level in an era where nobody cared about concussions. That's my point. I don't personally know or recall hearing about anyone with concussion issues stemming from playing FB through high school.

Top Bottom