Your Thoughts on the 4-1 Call

Thought he made the first. Announcers even thought so right until the 1st Down was overruled. ;)

As for punting rather than going for it? Gopher Defense held them to a single field goal after the 4:18 mark of the 1st Quarter.

It was a good call.

If the Gophers had crossed midfield to say the Cornhusker 45 yd line, then I think that changes the thinking enough to go for the kill right there. A punt is much more likely to go in the end zone there, so may only be netting 20-30 yds.

Where the ball was, how the defense was playing...smart decision was punt.

Imo, you always sneak it under center. PJ would have had AK in the shotgun which would have been stupid. I'm ok with the punt.

Gophers have gone for it twice on 4th & 1 so far this year and they've looked... not great. Obviously, we could try a different play... but, if this is the best we've got, punting was obviously the right call.

(5:12) Kramer runs for no gain vs Purdue

(20:14) Kaliakmanis ~bobbles snap~ and scampers 4 yds for a 1st down

Go for it. Stud runningback and 4th and inches. If ever there was a time to go for it that was it.

Yes we won but if we lost everyone on Gopherhole would have been "Fire PJ Fleck B**CHFEST" over not going for it on 4th and inches to WIN the game.

R-FR QB...easy call today. Athan starts next 3 games and wins then come bowl time that is a different call.

Should have run the ole' Fumble-rooski!!

Here's what you do. put the strongest guy on the team in the backfield. ball is snapped to the QB, and the strong guy picks up the QB and throws him over the line for the 1st down.

a Gopher version of the "fastball special." (X-Men fans will get it.....)

Bielema just now went for it on fourth and one.

Result: Michigan State gets the ball in Illinois territory.
If Illinois is 2-4 on 4th instead of 4/4 against Mn we are probably west champions

I like Mo's chances in that spot. He wasn't going to be stopped there. That said i was OK with and agreed with punt.

I would have been fine with it either way. I was not concerned about Nebraska moving the ball down the field, so the punt felt like a safe call. I honestly was more worried about the snap and kick more than anything.

Last edited:

Gophers have gone for it twice on 4th & 1 so far this year and they've looked... not great. Obviously, we could try a different play... but, if this is the best we've got, punting was obviously the right call.

(5:12) Kramer runs for no gain vs Purdue

(20:14) Kaliakmanis ~bobbles snap~ and scampers 4 yds for a 1st down
2nd TD against Rutgers was 4th & 1. Fortunately, Mo broke the plane.

I didn’t like the call. If you have one of the best RBs in the Country and all you need is 1/2 yard to end the game, I don’t think you punt. It worked out - great. Odds are it would have the other way too. We’ll never know. Next time you can put the game away by having Mo gain 1/2 yard, I hope they do it.

In general, and in this particular, I think you should punt from your own 30. (I saw a lot of Warmath games - punting and field position were a key ingredient in every game.)

Mo should be benched for defying PJ. Well actually if he were a 2nd or 3rd stringer he could have been assured they wouldn't be getting any playing time.

Go for it. Stud runningback and 4th and inches. If ever there was a time to go for it that was it.

Yes we won but if we lost everyone on Gopherhole would have been "Fire PJ Fleck B**CHFEST" over not going for it on 4th and inches to WIN the game.
Stud running back, in the shotgun, doesn’t start at the LOS. He starts 5-6 yards deep in the backfield. Every player on defense knows stud running back is getting the ball. They are jumping gaps and bull rushing (cause they fear no other play). As often as not in this situation—telegraphed play— stud running back doesn’t even make it back to the LOS much less gain the needed yard. This was not the time to go for it with an super extremely predictable play that requires the RB to move forward 6 to 7 yards to gain 1/2 yard beyond the LOS. Especially against a defense that already had 7 or 8 TFLs on running plays in the game already. PJ won the game by doing exactly what the odds and reason dictated. Some people are angry because PJ didn’t take the lower odds, which have the downside risk of a turnover at midfield?????? This is an insane thread.

I wanted them to go for it, but punting was probably the right call. Especially so when it turned out to be a pretty decent punt.

Mo should be benched for defying PJ. Well actually if he were a 2nd or 3rd stringer he could have been assured they wouldn't be getting any playing time.
Pretty silly take

Top Bottom