Your Thoughts on the 4-1 Call

Watching the game replay, if you want to talk about calls to debate.

Neb down 10, 6:44 left in the game. 3rd and 11 …. they run the ball for a 1 yard gain.

Ouch that call.

So Fleck said that the offensive staff discussed it, but they were considering two different play calls to go for the 1st down and they couldn't decide which play to call.

That was apparently why Fleck made the call to punt, because the staff could not agree on which play to run.

leaving me wondering - what were the two play calls that were being debated?

options:
QB sneak (with QB under center)
Run Mo (inside zone or outside zone)
QB run to one side or another (out of pistol)
pass play

it's a moot point, but I would still be interested to know what they were considering - just to get a better handle on how the staff would approach a situation like that in a future game.

You must have seen a different replay than I did.
When I saw the play, I thought MI made the First. But the first time I saw the replay, I said it was going to be overturned. MI's butt was clearly on the turf before the ball crossed the line. Now, I don't doubt that the spot was favorable to NE, but I have no way to judge that. Anyway, glad UM got the win. I know the arguments about "getting the call right" but I'm still cynical about instant replay. As we are discussing, even the replays don't settle things without controversy. Be well.

So Fleck said that the offensive staff discussed it, but they were considering two different play calls to go for the 1st down and they couldn't decide which play to call.

That was apparently why Fleck made the call to punt, because the staff could not agree on which play to run.

options:
pass play

it's a moot point, but I would still be interested to know what they were considering - just to get a better handle on how the staff would approach a situation like that in a future game.
I liked the Vikings short yardage play today where they handed it to JJ as he came in motion.

options:
pass play

If not a sneak, better to punt it. I forget these guys aren’t pros but the short yardage stuff continues to make me tear my eyeballs out.

I wonder what the conversation was…anyone lobbying for Kramer out of the shotgun can see themselves out. 🤫

options:
pass play

Triple reverse.

We can disagree about what we saw, but I can't argue with the new TV set suggestion. Be well.
I saw the replay in a situation where I had no sound, so i don't know what the announcers were discussing, but after I saw the view from the side, I felt almost 100% sure it was going to be overturned and be fourth down. I saw what you did, he was down and had not yet reached the like to gain.

The one I thought screwed us was a few play later when we hit a guy and stopped his progress in bounds, and then drove him back and out, and they kept the clock moving.

Top Bottom