You know the drill, Dienhart ranked MN DBs 10th in conference

die hard gopher

Reaction score
http://btn.com/2014/07/08/db-rankings-spartans-no-fly-zone-tops-b1g/

This group lacks experience, but there’s talent for what was one of the most underrated units in the Big Ten in 2013. S Brock Vereen will be missed. First up to replace him: Antonio Thompson. Cedric Thompson is back to play the other safety slot after leading the team with 79 tackles. Eric Murray is the team’s top corner who broke up 10 passes in 2013. Ex-safety Derrick Wells should lineup opposite Murray

Top 5 in conference passing yards allowed for two consecutive years and losing only one starter. We are probably 8, maybe 9 deep in the secondary next year, inexplicable.

Love these tweets by Coach Sawvel...

Jay Sawvel ‏@JaySawvel ·3 hrs
Thank you to @BTNTomDienhart for thinking we will suck on defense this year - we have a surprise for you - should start with a tour of TCF

Jay Sawvel ‏@JaySawvel ·2 hrs
@TyroneCarter954 I agree - it's fun and gives us something to use - but I think this is the most experienced secondary I have ever coached.

I also like this one by Tyrone Carter

“@TyroneCarter954: @JaySawvel @BTNTomDienhart I never cared about what people say because it's just words but action speaks louder to me!! Let's Show them!!!”

This one is insulting. I could stomach, almost agree to an extent with the other two.

We have a top 6 secondary next year, no ifs ands or buts.

I also enjoyed Coach Sawvel's other tweet that asks MV (from Daily Gopher) who the hell Antonio Thompson is.

Bulletin board material for the unit, if they even needed it. Kill's squads don't seem to be short on motivation.

I agree this one is way off the mark. Only one thing to do, shove it right up their arses.

Its funny how he says we were one of the most underrated units last year yet he himself ranks us only 10th this year. Ironic.

How so? Because it wasn't a literary device in this instance?

Its stupidity or ignorance....

Irony is like rain on your wedding day or a free ride when you've already paid.... It's like good advice that you just didn't take....

Eric murray will be top 2 or 3 in the conference and our D line will be better than last year. We will be in the top 5 by seasons end.

Irony is like rain on your wedding day or a free ride when you've already paid.... It's like good advice that you just didn't take....

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife...

lmfao. this is just getting funnier and funnier

Just so I have this correct, 12th defensive line, 12th line backers, and he throws in a 10th in the secondary. We will be closer to those ratings nationally. Than to his opinion of the Big 10. I would love to be in Chicago when Tom sidles up to Coach Kill for an interview. And when they travel to Minnesota for the Preview show, will he address these defensive opinions directly with Coach Claeys?

If we assume that all ratings are weighted equally, and that there is no interplay between defensive groups worth noting, we are expected to be the 11th best defense in the Big Ten -- better than only Rutgers, Illinois, and Purdue. I think the most shocking thing is that these commentators think that Indiana will be better than anyone in the league.

Rank: School - Average Rating (Linebackers, D Line, D Backs)
1: MSU - 1.67 (2, 2, 1)
2: Nebraska - 3 (1, 4, 4)
3: OSU - 3.33 (3, 1, 6)
4: Michigan - 3.67 (4, 5, 2)
5: Penn State - 5 (5, 7, 3)
6: Iowa - 5.67 (7, 3, 7)
7: Wisconsin - 6.67 (6, 6, 8)
T-8: Maryland - 8.33 (8, 8, 9)
T-8: Northwestern - 8.33 (9, 11, 5)
10: Indiana - 10.67 (11, 10, 11)
11: Minnesota - 11.33 (12, 12, 10)
12: Rutgers - 11.67 (13, 9, 13)
13: Illinois - 12.67 (10, 14, 14)
14: Purdue - 13 (14, 13, 12)

If we assume that all ratings are weighted equally, and that there is no interplay between defensive groups worth noting, we are expected to be the 11th best defense in the Big Ten -- better than only Rutgers, Illinois, and Purdue. I think the most shocking thing is that these commentators think that Indiana will be better than anyone in the league.

Who would've thought? It figures...

Two returning starters (Thompson and Murray), three others with good experience (Wells, Johnson, and Travis), and another who played a lot before he got hurt last year (Boddy-Calhoun). If this group lacks experience, then pretty much everyone else does as well.

I need to find out how to become an "expert" and essentially do no research. That's the job for me.

Two returning starters (Thompson and Murray), three others with good experience (Wells, Johnson, and Travis), and another who played a lot before he got hurt last year (Boddy-Calhoun). If this group lacks experience, then pretty much everyone else does as well.

I need to find out how to become an "expert" and essentially do no research. That's the job for me.

I think you mean Wells, THOMPSON, and Travis. His name is Antonio Thompson, didn't you know that?

Im not shocked by anything from Dienhart these days...or ever, but honestly, we have one of the best secondaries in the conference.
Some 'experts' were even saying Eric Murray could be the next Dennard. Nothing but a tall, physical lock down corner. As one poster
pointed out, we were shut down all season last year and only lost Vareen, (who was a very good player) but I think Murray, C Thompson
and even possibly Wells, were/are better players, and word on the street, is that Antonio hits like he has an anvil in his shoulder pads.
Im very excited for this group this coming season, and best of all.... we have depth, too.

Ranked 10th? Yes, bulletin board material.

Wasn't Dienhart waaaay down on the Gophers last year too or maybe that was in basketball?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>They just don't know that made our defense more hungry! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/motivation?src=hash">#motivation</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/family?src=hash">#family</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GuerillaWarfare?src=hash">#GuerillaWarfare</a> haha</p>— KJ Maye (@kjmaye_4) <a href="https://twitter.com/kjmaye_4/statuses/486678291827269632">July 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Anything opposite of the expected outcome can be considered irony. Oh well.

Unbelievable. Thanks for putting that together.

I love Sawvel. I don't know the wisdom of getting in a Twitter pissing contest with someone beneath you but you have to love his spirit. If this kind of bull**** doesn't motivate the team I don't know what will.

I guess there's only one thing left to do

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d-hDl6OALv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How so? Because it wasn't a literary device in this instance?

No, because even in the loosest interpretations of any form of irony it doesn't stack up and is frequently one of the most thrown around words by internet commentators when they are merely pointing out coincidence or contradictions. A contradiction does not equal irony.

Dienhart's 2003 RB ranking write-up.

9. Minnesota: Despite returning 1,000 yard rusher Terry Jackson and Thomas Tapeh, the Gophers have a lot of depth questions with Marion Barber III having missed 2002 and an unknown factor in freshman Laurence Maroney.

:)

One of the most frustrating things for me over the years as a Gopher football fan has been just having a defense that is able to get off the field on third downs. Opponents 3rd down efficiency the last five years:
2009: 44%
2010: 47%
2011: 44%
2012: 42%
2013: 37%

Things certainly seem to be getting better in that aspect. The defense was more than adequate last year and they're going to be better this year.

This is the best group of DBs that I can ever remember having. And the most depth.

Top Bottom