You know the drill, Dienhart ranked MN DBs 10th in conference

10 definitely seems low for this unit but if you read his full story he basically likes every secondary in the conference with the exception of the last couple. It will make for a nice piece to post in the DB room but I think the motivation angle gets overplayed. Doubt the guys are sitting there in the locker room planning to play extra hard in order to prove a hack like Dienhart wrong.

I need to find out how to become an "expert" and essentially do no research. That's the job for me.

Be careful what you wish for just remember an "Expert' is nothing more then a little drip under pressure.

This is the best group of DBs that I can ever remember having. And the most depth.

The 1999 defense had five future NFL players in the secondary:

Tyrone Carter
Jimmy Wyrick
Jack Brewer
Mike Lehan
Willie Middlebrooks

Tyrone Carter
Jimmy Wyrick
Jack Brewer
Mike Lehan
Willie Middlebrooks

Unfortunately the memory has faded in light of some of the atrocious pass defenses we've had since...

Tyrone Carter
Jimmy Wyrick
Jack Brewer
Mike Lehan
Willie Middlebrooks

Murray - NFL
Wells - injuries may prevent, if healthy yes
Travis - definite potential, coaches raving
Thompson - not sure, fringe
BBC - NFL look
Myrick - no idea, but getting PT as a true frosh on a deep backfield.
AJ - would guess no, big hitter, but probably lacks measurables

Not hard to imagine we have 5 nflers on this team, didn't even list duke.

Murray - NFL
Wells - injuries may prevent, if healthy yes
Travis - definite potential, coaches raving
Thompson - not sure, fringe
BBC - NFL look
Myrick - no idea, but getting PT as a true frosh on a deep backfield.
AJ - would guess no, big hitter, but probably lacks measurables

Not hard to imagine we have 5 nflers on this team, didn't even list duke.

It's an interesting discussion point to be sure, and something we'd have to revisit in five years or so, but I'd be surprised if anyone out of the current secondary ever plays in the NFL besides Murray, who is almost a lock at this point barring major injury. You touched on it in your post, but most/all of the rest lack the measurables to play in the NFL.

It's an interesting discussion point to be sure, and something we'd have to revisit in five years or so, but I'd be surprised if anyone out of the current secondary ever plays in the NFL besides Murray, who is almost a lock at this point barring major injury. You touched on it in your post, but most/all of the rest lack the measurables to play in the NFL.

Agree that it is tough to call at this point but Murray also looks like the only one that is a pretty sure bet to at least get a look. A pretty small percentage of guys make it to begin with. That being said you never really know because I would not have projected Jimmy Wyrick as an NFL player and he had a pretty long career at the next level.

As much as we all like Wells I don't think he has the size or durability to play at the next level.

Agree that it is tough to call at this point but Murray also looks like the only one that is a pretty sure bet to at least get a look. A pretty small percentage of guys make it to begin with. That being said you never really know because I would not have projected Jimmy Wyrick as an NFL player and he had a pretty long career at the next level.

As much as we all like Wells I don't think he has the size or durability to play at the next level.

Wells was incredibly active until he cut open his leg in 2012, then the shoulder, likely other injuries we didn't hear about. He was beat up early and often last year.
If he regains that early 2012 form this year I'd be surprised if he didn't get a look at the next level.
I'm concerned with the coaches talking about using Travis at corner, that would mean that neither Wells or BBC have recovered fully out of fall camp IMO. Something to watch I'd think. Clarity in the CB depth chart would be a good sign out of the gate.

The safeties certainly could breakout this year and see a similar rise like Vereen did.

Myrick is on the Wells/Murray path of special teamer to contributor, we'll know more about him by the end of the year though.

I never would have thought Vereen would have been a fourth rounder going into last year, actually right before the combine.

10 definitely seems low for this unit but if you read his full story he basically likes every secondary in the conference with the exception of the last couple. It will make for a nice piece to post in the DB room but I think the motivation angle gets overplayed. Doubt the guys are sitting there in the locker room planning to play extra hard in order to prove a hack like Dienhart wrong.

It is not possible for me to disagree more with your motivation point.

I don't know your athletic background but I have had instances of beating my personal bests (lifting) by a fairly wide margin if "angry" enough or perhaps on adrenaline. Theres no question in my mind that the mental aspect plays into physical abilities and output. This isn't considering the hunger to learn the game and increase one's " football IQ".

There is a reason why teams like USC, Florida, FSU (in past) have had down games and seasons despite having all the talent in the world. They're not motivated, lazy, etc etc etc.

If the MN D can play like they did at times last year, eg Nebraska game, this team can beat anyone with a little help for our developing offense.

Get angry!

I just can't see this defense being that bad...I can't. They've shown too much over the past two seasons for me to think that. Now if we're talking offense....lol.

Dienhart's 2003 RB ranking write-up.

9. Minnesota: Despite returning 1,000 yard rusher Terry Jackson and Thomas Tapeh, the Gophers have a lot of depth questions with Marion Barber III having missed 2002 and an unknown factor in freshman Laurence Maroney.

:)

LOL, best post in the thread.

I'm concerned with the coaches talking about using Travis at corner, that would mean that neither Wells or BBC have recovered fully out of fall camp IMO. Something to watch I'd think. Clarity in the CB depth chart would be a good sign out of the gate.

Or it means that Travis is as good as they say he is and is such an athletic freak he can play corner as well. Claeys said he would be starting if he maintains how he played during spring practice, so it might be that our 4 best DBs are Murrary, Travis, Johnson, and Thompson.

Agree, it's not so much a knock of minnesota rather than an indication of the quality throughout the conference. I'd say there's very little separation between #2 and #10

I would put the over under at 3. I disagree with you on the measurables, BBC wells Travis easily fit the mold.

I would put the over under at 3. I disagree with you on the measurables, BBC wells Travis easily fit the mold.

I would take the under all day on that one. We can have a defensive backfield filled with good/great college players and still not get 3 of them to the NFL.

I would take the under all day on that one. We can have a defensive backfield filled with good/great college players and still not get 3 of them to the NFL.

At the time, I didn't think much of wyrick, jack, etc. middlebrooks had great combine numbers, and TC everyone thought was too small (a 5-7 safety?).
We have a good team and by far our best position group is DB. Given that we have three DBs we don't know about as frosh/Rs, it's a group of eight with one NFL lock. You think only one more of the seven for sure? I think 3 is a very safe bet, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them surpass the 1999 group.

Dienhart's 2003 RB ranking write-up.

9. Minnesota: Despite returning 1,000 yard rusher Terry Jackson and Thomas Tapeh, the Gophers have a lot of depth questions with Marion Barber III having missed 2002 and an unknown factor in freshman Laurence Maroney.

:)

Is this real? If so, it should probably be framed somewhere. If not, it's probably accurate of what he would have written.

Top Bottom