Yho Committee

Penn State beat Ohio State head to head. Penn State in The Big 10 Eastern Champ. And is the Big 10 Champion how is Ohio State in?

Because unlike how conferences determine champions, the non conference schedule is factored in by the committee and when you factor that in, OSU has a better resume than PSU with a W at OU as opposed to a loss to Pitt. If PSU went 0-3 in the non conference but then went on to beat OSU and win the Big Ten, surely you wouldn't say they are more deserving than OSU, correct? Because if that did happen, OSU would still have the better overall resume even though they lost the head to head to PSU and didn't win the conference or division. Many people like both myself and the committee see it that way.

Because unlike how conferences determine champions, the non conference schedule is factored in by the committee and when you factor that in, OSU has a better resume than PSU with a W at OU as opposed to a loss to Pitt. If PSU went 0-3 in the non conference but then went on to beat OSU and win the Big Ten, surely you wouldn't say they are more deserving than OSU, correct? Because if that did happen, OSU would still have the better overall resume even though they lost the head to head to PSU and didn't win the conference or division. Many people like both myself and the committee see it that way.

Yeah but PSU didn't go 0-3 in the non conference so that part of your argument doesn't make any sense.

Remember Washington gave up 13 more points to Rutgers than PSU, OSU,& Michigan combined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but PSU didn't go 0-3 in the non conference so that part of your argument doesn't make any sense.

What don't you understand? It's the same situation, just not as extreme. PSU went 2-1 with a loss to Pitt and OSU went 3-0 with a very convincing win at Oklahoma and as a result, OSU has a better overall record and resume than PSU despite PSU winning the head to head and conference and as a result, OSU will and should make the playoff.

Penn State beat Ohio State head to head. Penn State in The Big 10 Eastern Champ. And is the Big 10 Champion how is Ohio State in?

Agreed. What happened early in the season has to be given less weight than their head to head later in the season. Some are arguing that the Big 12 is worthless yet OU is a quality win (?). The narratives get tough to follow at times. news flash, teams get better as the season goes on. I love this McSorley kid. Their skill players are tremendous. Their defense has improved from their early injury woes.

That, plus same Big Ten record. PSU absolutely deserves and should be the representative.

If OSU gets in they better run the table, and I don't think they will.

What don't you understand? It's the same situation, just not as extreme. PSU went 2-1 with a loss to Pitt and OSU went 3-0 with a very convincing win at Oklahoma and as a result, OSU has a better overall record and resume than PSU despite PSU winning the head to head and conference and as a result, OSU will and should make the playoff.

No point in throwing out extreme hypotheticals when the season is over. I get the argument for OSU. But PSU took care of business when they needed to. They already beat a likely playoff team and won the best conference this year. Why should they be left out? Because they lost to a team 3 months ago that also beat another likely playoff team?

No point in throwing out extreme hypotheticals when the season is over. I get the argument for OSU. But PSU took care of business when they needed to. They already beat a likely playoff team and won the best conference this year. Why should they be left out? Because they lost to a team 3 months ago that also beat another likely playoff team?

Because it was in addition to a 49-10 drubbing by Michigan. Of course if that was their only mishap, I would be fine putting them in.

Because it was in addition to a 49-10 drubbing by Michigan. Of course if that was their only mishap, I would be fine putting them in.

Penn State was in shambles at that time due to injuries. We played them when they were at their weakest, as did Michigan. If I recall every single linebacker from the preseason two deep was hurt. Or close to it. They were playing third stringers and safeties.

What about PSU beating Iowa 41-10? The same Iowa team that beat Michigan?

I was curious and wanted to find a simple way to compare the teams competing for the playoff. I assigned points for each win: 0 for beating a FCS team, 1 for beating a team with less than 6 wins, 2 for beating a team with 6-8 wins, and 3 for beating a team with 9 or more wins. The higher the point total, the better.

Ohio State: 24
Clemson: 25
Michigan: 20
Washington: 18
Penn St: 21

If it were up to me, I'd take Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson, and Penn St.

Agreed. What happened early in the season has to be given less weight than their head to head later in the season. Some are arguing that the Big 12 is worthless yet OU is a quality win (?). The narratives get tough to follow at times. news flash, teams get better as the season goes on. I love this McSorley kid. Their skill players are tremendous. Their defense has improved from their early injury woes.

That, plus same Big Ten record. PSU absolutely deserves and should be the representative.

If OSU gets in they better run the table, and I don't think they will.

That would send the message that out of conference doesn't matter that much. Head to head only comes into play when there is the same amount of losses in my opinion.

I think Penn St and Michigan are better than Clemson too but I don't think Clemson gets left out.

Just as suggested last night.......flip flop 2 and 3 and leave same.

Well, the die has been set. I'm not sure the best teams made it but it will be interesting to watch.

Well, the die has been set. I'm not sure the best teams made it but it will be interesting to watch.

We will never know because football is a game of matchups. I agree with you that tOSU has squeaked by in games. I just haven't been impressed with Barrett this year. It feels like Tebow with tons of talent around him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I laugh because almost everyone on here was so against a playoff because nobody would watch and ratings wouldn't get better. That was the best thing they have ever done in college football. And when they go to 8 teams that will be the next best thing they have ever done.

I laugh because almost everyone on here was so against a playoff because nobody would watch and ratings wouldn't get better. That was the best thing they have ever done in college football. And when they go to 8 teams that will be the next best thing they have ever done.

Says the gopher "hoops" guy. ;)

"Yeah, the quicker they take all meaning out of the regular season they better! Yeah!"

So give them a season achievement trophy. There aren't enough data points in a football season to know with certainty who the best teams are.

So give them a season achievement trophy. There aren't enough data points in a football season to know with certainty who the best teams are.

That was the point for what? 50, 60, years. And it still holds true so quit stamping your feet about it.

That was the point for what? 50, 60, years. And it still holds true so quit stamping your feet about it.

I'm not the one stamping my feet and insulting people. Sure are a lot of grumps today.

Top Bottom