Wow: Kirk Ciarrocca Takes OC Job at Rutgers

I was told that such a thing is absurd and Fleck would never have done that.

Is Burns saying anything yet, in regards to his (I assume G.I.) post?

I wonder if over on the G.I. board, they mock how far behind we GH posters are? Oh well, I'll never know because I ain't paying for that.

Maybe it was always a short-term deal?

Got KC out of being an analyst in West Virginia and back in the OC game.

Clearly he (KC) and his family want to be out east. That's where they're from.
I think the is as close to the truth as I have read on here. Also, this is the time for a new coordinator that can develop AK and shift from running to throwing a bit more. I think it’s exciting.

I think the is as close to the truth as I have read on here. Also, this is the time for a new coordinator that can develop AK and shift from running to throwing a bit more. I think it’s exciting.
The only reason I thought that assessment was off is because Ciarrocca just received a 3 year extension in like, mid-December?

I understand he hadn’t yet received the Rutgers offer. But why offer, and then accept, a 3-year extension of all things knowing it’s short term?

I understand he hadn’t yet received the Rutgers offer. But why offer, and then accept, a 3-year extension of all things knowing it’s short term?
Negotiating leverage for the next job? Or have it just in case the Rutgers thing falls through.

So much love for Simon, and based on what? Other than blind optimism that is
I would say part of it is his loyalty. Even after getting passed up for OC, he's stuck around. Having a new OC all the time is not good. Maybe he's someone that would stick around for awhile? I don't know.

What I am hearing:
Ciarrocca primary leaving for money and the move came as a surprise.
OC will be an internal hire due to lesson learned with Sanford and fear of losing Athan (he has NFL potential).
Other hires coming after coaches convention.
If true, Fleck can't be happy that his friend and mentor is poaching his coaches.

Just as the Portal has resulted in open door rosters, college coaches are mercenaries, looking for the next larger pay day. The winning programs will continue to collect the best coaches and players, and the programs like Minnesota with continue to be stepping stones to the next larger pay day. Overall, the program is doing pretty good.

Do we know how much he is getting at Rutgers? I thought he got a bump with PJ's extension up to $1M

Negotiating leverage for the next job? Or have it just in case the Rutgers thing falls through.
I’m not a businessman. I just know the contract was fully guaranteed. Is that no longer the case if he leaves on his own? Rutgers just pays the 300k buyout or what not?

If the 300k raise was primarily to earn him more money elsewhere, then that makes sense.

I’m not a businessman. I just know the contract was fully guaranteed. Is that no longer the case if he leaves on his own? Rutgers just pays the 300k buyout or what not?

If the 300k raise was primarily to earn him more money elsewhere, then that makes senseo

If the 300k raise was primarily to earn him more money elsewhere, then that makes sense.
I haven't seen KC's contract, but no, it isn't guranteed if he quits. If there is a buyout, Rutgers will have to pay it. Don't recall the speciifcs, but when KC came back the U was able to pay him below market rate because he was still being paid by PSU under his contract there. The raise this year was in part to get him back to "market rate."

I was told that such a thing is absurd and Fleck would never have done that.

Is Burns saying anything yet, in regards to his (I assume G.I.) post?

I wonder if over on the G.I. board, they mock how far behind we GH posters are? Oh well, I'll never know because I ain't paying for that.
I think Burns is on his Honeymoon and will have a lot to catch up on when he returns.

Offenses are changing and progressing, just like watching old people use computers, young bright coaches can do a great job with running an offense. Ciar is from the east coast, probably no connections here. He is like 59 years old and never was a QB, I think he was a corner. He is old school. Watch what Wisconsin does with their offense. Try to keep up in the big 10 in the future scoring 15 points in a game.

Last edited:

Coaches Convention is this weekend. Assume we will hear about a bunch of new hires pretty quickly in association with that.

My guess....he tolerates Fleck, but isn't a fan and would rather be elsewhere.
My guess?...Rutgers' most powerful and wealthy alumnus, Mr. Magoo, opened up his wallet (and fan closet) and lured Kirk Ciarrocca to New Jersey.

1673025198747.png

We could both be right...But then again we could both be just as wrong.

The part we don't know and tends to get overlooked is whether or not Simon actually wants to be an OC. It gets said that Fleck passed on him but I don't know that it was ever confirmed he was even a candidate.

Not every position coach wants to be a coordinator. Not every coordinator wants to be a head coach. I have no clue what Simon truly wants but none of us truly knows if he even wants to be the primary OC.
This line of thinking makes no sense. He's already been interim OC/Co-OC. The idea that he doesn't want the full-time gig is a bit ridiculous. Of course he does.

Why would PJ do that? Zero chance. None.

This is a poor look for KC. More money or not, east coast or not.

KC is now leaving a man (PJ) who gave him an OC job at WMU when KC couldn't get one literally anywhere else, then brought him into the Big Ten from WMU, then took him back after a total failure at PSU.

And now, KC has chosen to go to work for a man (Schiano) who fired him in 2010 at the very same program that still has very little upside.

And, doing it all just a few weeks after agreeing to a three-year extension at Minnesota for about $1m per year.
Total failure at PSU? Get your facts straight.

Kirk was gassed by Franklin when the guy Franklin wanted all along, Mike Yurcich, became available.

Oh and in that 1 season at PSU (the COVID year) they finished 2nd in the league at 430 yards per game.

Total failure…clearly.

Bateman seemed to do OK.

Jackson and Brockington seemed to do OK against Wisconsin.
And the rest of the games? You are pimping a guy over one game and ignoring the rest of the season.

This line of thinking makes no sense. He's already been interim OC/Co-OC. The idea that he doesn't want the full-time gig is a bit ridiculous. Of course he does.
Titles in college football are interesting and many times they are there more to give the staff person more money.

If someone asked you who the offensive coordinator last year was would you have mentioned both guys or just said KC? I bet the vast majority would only mention KC because he was the primary offensive coordinator even if Simon's title had OC in it. Just as they would only have mentioned Sanford before that.

Same is true on defense. We had a co-defensive coordinator but if you asked who the DC was people are going to say Rossi.

Simon may want the OC gig and maybe KC was only around to groom him more to take the full job in the near future (which may very well be now).

My main point was an assumption gets made that Simon was passed over for the OC job in the past and that might not be the case at all as he may not have felt ready to be the lead OC and was content to stay in his current role.

I haven't seen KC's contract, but no, it isn't guranteed if he quits. If there is a buyout, Rutgers will have to pay it.

Below is from an article about Kirk’s new contract.

If Coach terminates the agreement in year one of the contract, he will pay a termination fee of $275,000. If he terminates it in year two, the termination fee is $200,000 and $150,000 in year three. The fee is waived if Coach leaves for a Head Coach position at a Division I institution.”

For the record, Rossi’s year 1, 2, and 3 numbers are $330k, $250k, and $150k.

Total failure at PSU? Get your facts straight.

Kirk was gassed by Franklin when the guy Franklin wanted all along, Mike Yurcich, became available.

Oh and in that 1 season at PSU (the COVID year) they finished 2nd in the league at 430 yards per game.

Total failure…clearly.

A total failure in that he was fired. I wasn't referring to the on-field performance. Trust me, I know the situation and have those facts. I wasn't referring to them. You can see I was in that post referencing his employment history.

What I was referring to was KC left a good situation behind and got fired in 12 months at the new situation. To me, that is a total failure from an employment perspective. Bad enough that he was hired an as analyst the next year, not anywhere as a coordinator. And, then his next best thing was to come back to Minnesota two years later.

To me - employment wise - that move turned out to be a total failure.

Quibble if you want, maybe total failure was overstating it. Either way, he left behind a good situation and got terminated in a year at his new situation. Not ideal.

Remember, he almost left for West Virginia as an OC the year before he left for PSU.

Bottom line, PJ threw the man at least two life vests and he has now rejected them all.

I'd suggest there's a decent chance KC will be fired in two more seasons at Rutgers.

Titles in college football are interesting and many times they are there more to give the staff person more money.

If someone asked you who the offensive coordinator last year was would you have mentioned both guys or just said KC? I bet the vast majority would only mention KC because he was the primary offensive coordinator even if Simon's title had OC in it. Just as they would only have mentioned Sanford before that.

Same is true on defense. We had a co-defensive coordinator but if you asked who the DC was people are going to say Rossi.

Simon may want the OC gig and maybe KC was only around to groom him more to take the full job in the near future (which may very well be now).

My main point was an assumption gets made that Simon was passed over for the OC job in the past and that might not be the case at all as he may not have felt ready to be the lead OC and was content to stay in his current role.
Anything is possible, but it's very, very unlikely that he turned down a promotion to OC or doesn't want it currently.

Anything is possible, but it's very, very unlikely that he turned down a promotion to OC or doesn't want it currently.
Guess we will find out in the near future when we see what direction Fleck goes with the hire. If he hires external and Simon stays to me that says he is fine not being the coordinator.

But also won't be shocked to see him get the gig.

Top Bottom