Worst loss in Tubby's tenure (Rant)

UK has never failed to win NC with 3 first round NBA picks in its starting lineup.

1978 - Givens, Robey, Macy all 1st rounders = NCAA title.

1996 - Delk, McCarty, Anderson, Walker all 1st rounders = NCAA title.

1998 - only 2 (Mohammed, Padgett) 1st rounders but NCAA title anyway.

No I did not expect us to finish 33-0. I expected our losses to come from decent teams, not some crappy WCC team. Stop trying to justify this as a loss to a good team, Portland is TERRIBLE. They're not good. What do you expect one of their tool fans to come in here and say? He really only came over to pound his chest, and you're all too blind to see this? The WCC sucks and is totally a 1 team league, has been forever. So while 33-0 is totally unreasonable, it's not out of the bounds of reality to expect us to roll teams like this if we are going to be a tournament team.

What did I say after the Butler game? I said we beat a team that shouldn't be ranked anywhere near the top 25, and it turns out I was right. VERY talented? My dear god you people are even more off the deep end than you are claiming me to be. Good/Average teams still have a chance to win at the end playing like crap and lose, great teams win.

Dear chest-thumping Portland fan,
Go back to your terrible conference and have fun rolling a bunch of undersized unathletic scrubs on your way to an NIT bid. Maybe we will meet again there.

You sure about that? You must be looking into an interesting mirror in the morning.

"No I am not a troll or a Gopher hater"

Perhaps so, but your posts smell like both.

1978 - Givens, Robey, Macy all 1st rounders = NCAA title.

1996 - Delk, McCarty, Anderson, Walker all 1st rounders = NCAA title.

1998 - only 2 (Mohammed, Padgett) 1st rounders but NCAA title anyway.

This isn't the place for this discussion but you damn well know the difference between those teams and this one Tom.

I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to orgasm because Minnesota got upset by Portland and you didn't get the Tubby vs. Huggins matchup that would have made you cream your jeans.

Dear chest-thumping Portland fan,
Go back to your terrible conference and have fun rolling a bunch of undersized unathletic scrubs on your way to an NIT bid. Maybe we will meet again there.
Good lord, grow up. We get it that you're passionate and seemingly can't hold in your emotions immediately after a loss or a win: it's the best of times or the worst of times.

But the Portland fan came on here and hardly thumped his chest. His post was pretty classy ... unlike yours when we beat Butler. The smack talk gets really boring and tiresome.

Good lord, grow up. We get it that you're passionate and seemingly can't hold in your emotions immediately after a loss or a win: it's the best of times or the worst of times.

But the Portland fan came on here and hardly thumped his chest. His post was pretty classy ... unlike yours when we beat Butler. The smack talk gets really boring and tiresome.

Rick Mons: Ya think? You are absolutely correct.

Studman...I can NOT believe you said what you did to Rick Mons. You have more class than that, at least I thought you did.

This isn't the place for this discussion but you damn well know the difference between those teams and this one Tom.

I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to orgasm because Minnesota got upset by Portland and you didn't get the Tubby vs. Huggins matchup that would have made you cream your jeans.

I don't know you so I don't see how you can call me by someone's first name.

No difference - the current UK has several (probable) 1st round draft picks. Similar UK talented teams have won NC or at least (1984) made FF. This team should be expected to do nothing less.

What assinine comments in your second paragraph. Typical Kentucky trash.

There isn't much to say other than Portland played well. And if we make our free throws we steal a victory.

I am not defending TubbytownUSA...he is just venting his frustrations after a watching a game we should have won. We played terrible, period!!

I think we all love our Gopher's Basketball and he is expressing his opinion...some of us may not agree but take it for what it is.

I myself have no words that can describe how I feel about this loss other than what I wrote above.

Bump...

People still think I'm crazy? Same s**t different day. If anyone wants to change your mind and can finally see what I've been seeing, go right on ahead....

I will continue to support the Gophers and go to the games and hope for the best, but it pains me to have my rant justified. This team is not going to be much more than an NIT team from what I've seen. Still can't shoot free throws, especially when they count the most. Still give up a ton of open 3s. Still don't have a go to scorer....so depressing

SKOL VIKINGS!

Bump...

People still think I'm crazy? Same s**t different day. If anyone wants to change your mind and can finally see what I've been seeing, go right on ahead....

I will continue to support the Gophers and go to the games and hope for the best, but it pains me to have my rant justified. This team is not going to be much more than an NIT team from what I've seen. Still can't shoot free throws, especially when they count the most. Still give up a ton of open 3s. Still don't have a go to scorer....so depressing

SKOL VIKINGS!

1. Yes (or least, probable) :p.

2. The way you were talking yesterday, I seriously doubt that.

3. On that one, I completely agree with you. This game was a true case where Texas A&M tried to GIVE us the game our guys did everything they could to make sure the Aggies still won. It was definitely another pathetic performance.

1. Yes (or least, probable) :p.

2. The way you were talking yesterday, I seriously doubt that.

3. On that one, I completely agree with you. This game was a true case where Texas A&M tried to GIVE us the game our guys did everything they could to make sure the Aggies still won. It was definitely another pathetic performance.

1. Doubtful

2. You clearly don't know me. Never said I hoped our team did poorly, just said we aren't very good and I have significantly lowered expectations

3. They shot free throws even worse than us down the stretch and we still lost. That is bad news.

1. Doubtful

2. You clearly don't know me. Never said I hoped our team did poorly, just said we aren't very good and I have significantly lowered expectations

3. They shot free throws even worse than us down the stretch and we still lost. That is bad news.

2. Having witnessed the personal cheap-shot fest that went on yesterday, you'll understand if I have my doubts. Also, I noticed that you were pimping the Vikings in your post. Please, keep it out of a Gopher basketball forum could you? I'm glad the Vikings are doing well, but if you want to ride the Vikings bandwagon, take it somewhere else.

2. Having witnessed the personal cheap-shot fest that went on yesterday, you'll understand if I have my doubts. Also, I noticed that you were pimping the Vikings in your post. Please, keep it out of a Gopher basketball forum could you? I'm glad the Vikings are doing well, but if you want to ride the Vikings bandwagon, take it somewhere else.

Well Portland got railed tonight....

Everything I'm saying coming even more true....they are a terrible basketball team, so can we finally stop saying they are good to justify our own shortcomings?

I don't think Portland is that good and they exposed us. In fact we were more rested yet still lost. If we can't beat Portland or Texas A&M with a fully healthy team, what happens when we lose players to injuries. Unless Royce and Trevor join the team, we will be hard pressed to get back to the NCAA tournament.

So, to recap, coming into this tournament, it was billed as a strong field with ranked teams in WVU, Butler, Clemson and Minnesota as well as solid teams in Portland and Texas A&M not to mention UCLA, no matter how down.

Now, as decreed by the GH-manics, Butler sucks, Clemson sucks (they lost to A&M and nearly to Butler so they must) Minnesota sucks, Texas A&M sucks and Portland sucks. Only WVU is any good because they won. No one else in this field will sniff the NCAA's.

The rest of us might conclude it was indeed a strong field and some teams had to lose twice. I'm diappointed that the Gophers were one of them, but I know we're still a solid, but not perfect, team. The GH manics may as well take a break. Who wants to follow a team that's NIT at-best?

So, to recap, coming into this tournament, it was billed as a strong field with ranked teams in WVU, Butler, Clemson and Minnesota as well as solid teams in Portland and Texas A&M not to mention UCLA, no matter how down.

Now, as decreed by the GH-manics, Butler sucks, Clemson sucks (they lost to A&M and nearly to Butler so they must) Minnesota sucks, Texas A&M sucks and Portland sucks. Only WVU is any good because they won. No one else in this field will sniff the NCAA's.

The rest of us might conclude it was indeed a strong field and some teams had to lose twice. I'm diappointed that the Gophers were one of them, but I know we're still a solid, but not perfect, team. The GH manics may as well take a break. Who wants to follow a team that's NIT at-best?

No one else will sniff the NCAAs? I'll give Butler a spot since the Horizon league sucks. I'll give Clemson one because they only lost once and looked decent. But yes, as decreed by the reasonable people who are willing to take off the maroon and gold glasses, Butler does suck and is overrated, and people who think Portland is any good are total jokes. Portland finally played a real team and they got absolutely shelled. A&M might sneak in because of some decent non conference showings, but we really shot ourselves in the foot.

I love how you're trying to call UCLA a good team to justify it being a strong field. CLASSIC! Same with Portland and A&M. The only team who came out of this tournament showing that they deserved being ranked was WVU, and they won the thing easily.

No one else will sniff the NCAAs? I'll give Butler a spot since the Horizon league sucks. I'll give Clemson one because they only lost once and looked decent. But yes, as decreed by the reasonable people who are willing to take off the maroon and gold glasses, Butler does suck and is overrated, and people who think Portland is any good are total jokes. Portland finally played a real team and they got absolutely shelled. A&M might sneak in because of some decent non conference showings, but we really shot ourselves in the foot.

I love how you're trying to call UCLA a good team to justify it being a strong field. CLASSIC! Same with Portland and A&M. The only team who came out of this tournament showing that they deserved being ranked was WVU, and they won the thing easily.

Butler does not suck and you sound moronic saying so. Are they over-rated? Yes. Do they 'suck'? Hell no. How was Clemson's week-end that much better then ours? They lost to A&M and beat Butler, same as us. The only difference is they beat Long Beach and we lost to Portland. Big whoop. And they struggled a lot more with 'sucky' Butler then we did.

Portland may not be top 25 material, but again they do not 'suck' just because they got beat by a top 8 team in the nation. Yeah A&M might 'snteak in' or they may be one of the top 4 teams in a solid Big 12. Time will tell. I wouldn't be shocked if they have significant votes in the Top 25 this week.

Finally, I was not saying UCLA was good. I was merely pointing out that any pre-season tournament where they are the 7th best team is an awfully deep field.

Bump...

SKOL VIKINGS!

I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to change my mind about and "see" what you've been seeing. It doesn't take a genius to see that the gophers are struggling right now to find an identity on the offensive end. I agree that free throws hurt, especially against Portland. I agree that they will need to find a go-to scorer.

But I refuse to accept your Eyore mentality as something to be desired. There is nothing justifiable about being a fair-weather fan. Yeah, teams struggle, yeah, they lose sometimes, yeah, things don't always go your way. It doesn't justify giving up on your team. I enjoy second guessing the coach and players, that's part of the fun of watching sports, but that's different than crying about the sky falling over two early games. I don't think this will change your mind but i wanted to be very clear that you weren't changing mine.

Everything I'm saying coming even more true....they are a terrible basketball team, so can we finally stop saying they are good to justify our own shortcomings?

Keep patting yourself on the back and lecturing everybody, I'm sure they'll listen to you from now on. And for the record, it's not the viewpoint that's the problem, it's your approach to making your point that has everybody ticked off.

Also, I never said that Portland was a good team. In fact, I said on that game day that I thought we were better, but that we let them off the hook by playing absolutely horribly. I will agree with you that the team is really struggling right now however.

Wow, congrats, you predicted that the 7th ranked team would kill Portland. Have you not noticed that teams lose to teams that aren't as good as them all the time in sports? You sound idiotic saying that we're nothing more than an NIT team. I wonder what you'll say at the end of the season when we're in the NCAA tournament.

Wow, congrats, you predicted that the 7th ranked team would kill Portland. Have you not noticed that teams lose to teams that aren't as good as them all the time in sports? You sound idiotic saying that we're nothing more than an NIT team. I wonder what you'll say at the end of the season when we're in the NCAA tournament.

I'll eat my words if that is true. What are you going to say if we are in the NIT?

West Virgina is long and athletic with maybe 3 or even 4 NBA prospects on their team. They're the kind of team built to destroy a Portland if they're not hitting from the perimeter. Portland didn't have their legs under them and the lack of depth showed up in the end.

I wouldn't judge Minnesota by this tournament either. Wait till the December Break when the 20 hour rule goes out the window and the squad will be running two or three a day's. That's when the improvements will show.

I will do the same. I wouldn't plan on that though.

You can just eat your words now if you want to.

Look at all the problems I posted about on the first page. So many of you said it was a 1 game problem, easy things to fix. And that I was crazy for projecting these problems on to the rest of our games. Seems as if being realistic every now and then is a little more accurate than drinking the kool aid 24/7.

Same problems as Anaheim, same outlook on the season for me. This team has NIT talent, and the coaching has been awful thus far.

Top Bottom