Worst loss in Tubby's tenure (Rant)

TT, whether they deserve it or not, Portland will likely be in the Top 25 THEMSELVES this week since most people will vote prior to thier game on Sunday. They mentioned in several times on the telecast. They already beat Oregon, they already beat UCLA and they already beat Minnesota. The 'terrible' team we lost to will likely be ranked this week. Will they stay there? Probably not. But you are acting like we just lost to Chaminade.

In fairness, you did put a 'disclaimer' but I'm sorry if I don't buy those as a general rule. If you know what you're writing is being done completely in anger and you're irrational, then don't waste the space.

You made some valid points about this particular game, but took it to a ridiculous level by writing off the season in one broad stroke.

I also love how everyone is now calling Butler a 'bad' team and completely discounting how we 'barely' beat them. Were they over-rated at #10? Probably so. Are they still a top 25 team? Probably so. I've seen numerous stories about whether they're a legit final 4 contender, but because we beat them (and we're below average Big 10 slop appearantly) well then Butler must suck.

I knew what I was writing was in anger and some points were irrational, but I do feel like I made some very good points about our teams weaknesses and that the coaching staff is not above criticism. You're right that it was extreme to write off the entire season, but based on what I saw today I find it incredibly different to have any expectations above the NIT, is that fair? The mistakes we made were not things that an NCAA team would do. We surely could fix some of the problems I saw, but it's not easy and not terribly likely that we do things such as randomly learn to shoot free throws, or find a go-to guy.

Butler is really not a good team at all. They have 1, maybe 2 good players, both who were in foul trouble. Incredibly overrated at 10 and probably not a top 25 team, they prove it every year in the tourney. They get a good ranking based on their terrible Horizon league schedule, but never can keep up with talented athletic teams. Anyone who honestly pegged Butler as a Final 4 team needs some SERIOUS help.

I knew what I was writing was in anger and some points were irrational, but I do feel like I made some very good points about our teams weaknesses and that the coaching staff is not above criticism. You're right that it was extreme to write off the entire season, but based on what I saw today I find it incredibly different to have any expectations above the NIT, is that fair? The mistakes we made were not things that an NCAA team would do. We surely could fix some of the problems I saw, but it's not easy and not terribly likely that we do things such as randomly learn to shoot free throws, or find a go-to guy.

Butler is really not a good team at all. They have 1, maybe 2 good players, both who were in foul trouble. Incredibly overrated at 10 and probably not a top 25 team, they prove it every year in the tourney. They get a good ranking based on their terrible Horizon league schedule, but never can keep up with talented athletic teams. Anyone who honestly pegged Butler as a Final 4 team needs some SERIOUS help.

No, saying we shouldn't have any expectations above the NIT is not fair. We looked bad on offense for much of the game. That will still be the case at times throughout the season. We run our offense off of our defense which even tonight was very good at times. When forced consistantly into half-court it will be ugly sometimes. Right out of the half we charged back to tie it up. Tubby made some good adjustments there. Others he seemed to wait until it was too late. Was it his finest hour as a coach? No. Was it the worst coached game I've seen today much less this year? No. Bottom line is we played a decent team, shot like crap, and missed way too many FT's. The last of those grates me the most, and it's the most fixable.

Tubbytown, you sound like a middle school kid who posts to the extreme either way.

Unfortunately, I think many of your points on the con list were spot on. I am not sure about the double down, which helped open up a lot of three's for them. However, the defense was also very solid at times.

Offensively, that was one of the worst shooting nights I have seen from the Gophers and the free throw shooting was even worse.

I felt there were times when Nolen would beat his guy off the dribble and drive, shoot or dish that our offense looked more efficient. They did a nice job bouncing between zone and man to man. They played good defense on us, but if we even shoot average from the floor or the line, we win this game easily.

Like i said earlier, I do not post to the extreme either way. I just don't like to be all 100 percent we are going to be fine, all the time. The Butler win was nice, but not huge and I was willing to point that out yesterday. If I was so extreme, I would've been totally ecstatic right? But I just called it as I saw it, just like today. I could very well be wrong and so could you if you think we are a legit decent NCAA team right now. You don't see me calling you extreme do you?

Unfortunately I'm right? I'm glad it pains you to agree with me. How can you argue against the double down? Were we watching the same game? Countless times our guards went down, and the post had no trouble kicking it out for an open three. If our guards did try to come back out and contest the three, they fell for the shot fake EVERY SINGLE TIME. It was unreal how undisciplined we were defensively.

We do win this game easily if we shoot well from the line. Whose fault is it that we can't make a free throw? I'm going to have to blame the coaches on this one to some extent. We have been troubled with this for way too long. Good teams make their free throws, and there really aren't many exceptions. Do we not practice them enough? Are Tubby and his staff unable to teach correct form on a free throw? Seriously, junior high teams shoot a higher percentage than we do.

I will give you Nolen. I have been rather down on him this year, but I thought he was our best offensive weapon today. He was getting to the line at will, and was the one guy I felt moderately confident in at the line. I'd like to see him do that a little more offensively, he did a phenomenal job drawing fouls in the late part of the game.

No, saying we shouldn't have any expectations above the NIT is not fair. We looked bad on offense for much of the game. That will still be the case at times throughout the season. We run our offense off of our defense which even tonight was very good at times. When forced consistantly into half-court it will be ugly sometimes. Right out of the half we charged back to tie it up. Tubby made some good adjustments there. Others he seemed to wait until it was too late. Was it his finest hour as a coach? No. Was it the worst coached game I've seen today much less this year? No. Bottom line is we played a decent team, shot like crap, and missed way too many FT's. The last of those grates me the most, and it's the most fixable.

For how long have we been saying that the free throws are fixable? Year 3 with Tubby and we still get plagued by the free throw bug. I BLAME SPENCER TOLLACKSON.

give portland credit

they made their three point shots - the made their three throws - and those big guys down low were damn good tonight - quite frankly Portland played a better game tonight and deserved to win - they executed and they played a tough zone - our shooting was poor and that killed us but Portland played an excellent game I thought - we were luckey to have that possesion at then end any way

they made their three point shots - the made their three throws - and those big guys down low were damn good tonight - quite frankly Portland played a better game tonight and deserved to win - they executed and they played a tough zone - our shooting was poor and that killed us but Portland played an excellent game I thought - we were luckey to have that possesion at then end any way

We didn't make our three point shots - we didn't make our free throws - our big guys down low were not damn good tonight - quite frankly we didn't play a better game tonight and didn't deserve to win - we didn't execute against the zone - we shot poor and did not play an excellent game - the possession at the end was meaningless.

My point is, it's what we did wrong that bothers me so much more than some things they apparently did right, all of which aren't even true. The big problem isn't that they did those things right, it's what we DIDN'T do right.

It looks like a bad loss now, but portland played well. they are a veteran team that have played together for awhile. Later in the year come march, Portland is going to be in the field of 64, possibly be ranked. I still believe Minnesota would beat the Pilots 7 out of every 10 games but they are definitely no slouch. This game really showed to me how much we really need Mbakwe and White, for the reason that we can't rebound and our bigs dont know how to put the ball in the bucket!!

Should we have won? Yes. But we lost, get over it. It means nothing about the B10 season. It changes nothing for us. One game means that much to you, really? Wow...

sorry - Portland was the better team

all around better is all facets of the game - I was impressed with that team - they crushed UCLA last night by almost 30 points - those two big guys down low dominated and I don't see anyone of our guys who could play with those two - their guard play was excellent. I thought they would tire but they did not - we got beat by a better team - that is the bottom line

all around better is all facets of the game - I was impressed with that team - they crushed UCLA last night by almost 30 points - those two big guys down low dominated and I don't see anyone of our guys who could play with those two - their guard play was excellent. I thought they would tire but they did not - we got beat by a better team - that is the bottom line

If you think that we are worse than Portland, then how in the world can you have any hope for this season? Portland is an average team in the WCC.

They crushed the worst UCLA team in history? WOW IM AMAZED. Isn't that the same UCLA team that lost to Cal State Fullerton or some garbage team like that? You're a joke, stop thinking their win against UCLA means something just because of the UCLA name.

None of our guys could play with their bigs down low? I think the big guys are far from the reason we lost the game. Their guard play was excellent? Yeah it sure must have been hard to make 32 percent of your uncontested 3s right? And difficult to watch the Gophers just pass the ball around the perimeter.

I do not think we are a top 25 team right now and I don't think we sit in the top half of the Big 10 right now, but I do think we are much better than Portland. And if by the end of the season we are not, we will be looking at an NIT or CBI postseason.

Should we have won? Yes. But we lost, get over it. It means nothing about the B10 season. It changes nothing for us. One game means that much to you, really? Wow...

It changes nothing? You've got to be kidding me...

Lets see what it changes....

Bad loss? Check
Lost opportunity to play another top 10 team? Check
Weaknesses exposed? Check

We are going to have to win an extra game or two in the Big 10 to make up for this, and believe it or not the way we played today IS an indicator of potential future problems. While losing this game doesn't mean we won't win another game the rest of the year, it does point our some glaring weaknesses in our team that really DOES mean something about the Big 10 season.

So to sum things up, yes, one game means an incredible amount to me, as will it to the selection committee. They look at every single game. It's also no good for a team's confidence to lose a WCC team not named Gonzaga. It's no good that our opponents will zone us all year if they watched this game. It's no good that we don't have a go-to guy to score down the stretch. It's no good that we can't make a free throw. It's no good we give up so many uncontested threes. Shall I keep going?

While I think we should have beaten Portland, they're not a bunch of cupcakes nor is their coach "some scrub." Portland's coach was WCC Coach of the Year last year and has turned around a program that was floundering. Portland also returned all 5 of its starters after a 19-13 season and 3rd place in the WCC.

Very few teams go through a season without a bad game or two. I think this was one of ours ... but I doubt we'll be plagued by them throughout the season.

"they're not a bunch of cupcakes"

Well, none of them were recruited by major conference schools. I think that almost all of them are one or zero star recruits according to Rivals. The guy that torched us is listed as 5 foot 9.

its obviously not the only reason, but the lack of production from the bigs what i see as the biggest reason. They couldnt pull down a borad, they just got out hustled plain and simple in the phase. when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, the terrible shooting from beyond the arc is partially on the bigs also. When Iverson and Sampson cant make a bucket, the D doesnt have to even consider coming to double down. Production from the our bigs creates open looks for the guards. You cant expect them to hit shots when they got a man in their face the whole game.

the can of whoop ass is in your fridge Tubbby

If you can"t spot an ass whooping you"re a fool - top 25 team? - who are you kidding - maybe they'll do better against Upper Utah when they get back in the Barn - and after that whose next? Middle Somebody State I am sure - its a long season - thak God Iowa sucks - that should be two wins - maybe Hoffharbers prayers will drop in the third place game - maybe a few more non conference wins will get your confidence back up - they got beat tonight - they got beat and that's the bottom line - the way they played the did not deserve to win - the other team was better

its obviously not the only reason, but the lack of production from the bigs what i see as the biggest reason. They couldnt pull down a borad, they just got out hustled plain and simple in the phase. when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, the terrible shooting from beyond the arc is partially on the bigs also. When Iverson and Sampson cant make a bucket, the D doesnt have to even consider coming to double down. Production from the our bigs creates open looks for the guards. You cant expect them to hit shots when they got a man in their face the whole game.

Ralph and Colt didn't get a chance to really produce much offensively. I thought they did a fine job on the rare occasions that we actually got them the ball. I didn't enjoy watching our guards pass the ball around the perimeter the entire time, with the occasional ineffective swing pass. The terrible shooting is hardly the blame of the posts. I'd lend that much more to poor shot selection, which includes taking shots 5 feet behind the line with 10 seconds left on the shot clock. If we watched the same game, I hardly think our guys had a hand in their face the whole game. Besides, did a pump fake ever hurt anyone? A pass down to the post and a kick back out to get a more open look?

"they're not a bunch of cupcakes"

Well, none of them were recruited by major conference schools. I think that almost all of them are one or zero star recruits according to Rivals. The guy that torched us is listed as 5 foot 9.
Somebody forgot to tell 'em that they shouldn't show up for any games against teams that have one or more 3-star players ... or "major conference schools" that didn't recruit 'em. And if you're 5'9" or shorter, you really have no business on a Div I basketball court, I guess.

This passes for logic in California?

Have you forgotten how many teams make the NCAA? Have you forgotten that we made the tournament last year and that we're obviously a better team this year? The mistakes we made were not mistakes that an NCAA team would do? Haha, wow. I guess any team that makes the tournament never has a horrible game. I guess an NCAA team never loses to a team that isn't ranked as high as them. We must be a horrible team because we lost to them.

I still refuse to believe that they are a better team. We barely lost, and we were horrible in basically every category. We had a good game from a single player, we couldn't rebound, and we were horrendous from 3 and on FTs. Even if we played a really bad game, but not an awful game, we would've won. Though it never looked like we would win, we were in the game the entire time in what was the worst game the team has played in a very very long time. If you had to pick, would you really bet on them beating us in a series of best of 7?

best of 7 - good question

I still refuse to believe that they are a better team. We barely lost, and we were horrible in basically every category. We had a good game from a single player, we couldn't rebound, and we were horrendous from 3 and on FTs. Even if we played a really bad game, but not an awful game, we would've won. Though it never looked like we would win, we were in the game the entire time in what was the worst game the team has played in a very very long time. If you had to pick, would you really bet on them beating us in a series of best of 7?

tonight they were clearly the better team - best of seven - I'd like to see game two first - I just don"t think you can discoust that team though - those two blond guys donw low were tough and I don"t think that was a fluke - plus the"ve got some good shooting guards -

Sad To Read Some Of This Garbage

GopherHole has mostly good fans BUT it has some of the WORST fans I've ever seen.

Do you overreact to everything? 7-11? I can't tell if you're being serious with that ridiculous of a statement.

I thought Portland was a pretty good club. Very solid defensively and they moved the ball well on offense. They will likely get into the tournament. Likewise, I thought the gophers played well, doing everything but put the ball in the basket. The shots were there and the effort was there, but there are nights like that. I'm not concerned.

I'm no basketball wiz, but it seems like we're somehow simultaneously *deep* and yet lacking in a true point guard, post presence, and go-to guy. How is that possible? Curiouser and curiouser. It's like we have ten players who are all 2-3-4 guys. Or am I an idiot? (Don't answer that...)

I feel like I'm reading Catspause.

We should have beat this team. We didn't. No one feels worse than the players.

Let's move on and root for the guys tomorrow.

I'm no basketball wiz, but it seems like we're somehow simultaneously *deep* and yet lacking in a true point guard, post presence, and go-to guy. How is that possible? Curiouser and curiouser. It's like we have ten players who are all 2-3-4 guys. Or am I an idiot? (Don't answer that...)

For being a non-basketball head you kind off hit it on the head. Al is a poor-shooting yet effective defensive point. Sampson and Iverson show flashes but still have a lot of work to do. The rest of the team is full of tweeners. Many can play the 3 and 4. If the team eliminated the 5 they would have a team that sort of resembles to great Illinois teams of the late 80's where no player was taller than 6'7. I would like them to play a smaller lineup especially when or if Trevor returns.

TubbyTown you are about as embarrassing of a fan as I can find in all of Gopher Nation. Quit being a short-sighted middle school jackass and extrapolating one game's worth of data into the entire season. Watch what happens in the next two or three games and see if any adjustments are made. I guarantee you FT shooting will go up and Tubby will practice going specifically against the 2-3 zone.

If you can"t spot an ass whooping you"re a fool - top 25 team? - who are you kidding - maybe they'll do better against Upper Utah when they get back in the Barn - and after that whose next? Middle Somebody State I am sure - its a long season - thak God Iowa sucks - that should be two wins - maybe Hoffharbers prayers will drop in the third place game - maybe a few more non conference wins will get your confidence back up - they got beat tonight - they got beat and that's the bottom line - the way they played the did not deserve to win - the other team was better

I remember when I had my first beer.

LOL

This is the kind of thread other team's fans point to, laughing their butts off.

Geez, we lost by 5 to a pretty good team.

I am rather surprised at some of the bedwetting going on here after 1 loss. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Top Bottom