Worst loss in Tubby's tenure (Rant)

Apparently someone missed a few Illinois games two years ago, or maybe the Maryland game that year.

Portland is not an "average" team. Portland is a very good basketball team, well coached with some skilled size (not just a couple of big oafs they run out there like some mid and low majors do) who can shoot. You're discouraged and upset because it says "Portland" on the jersey. You consider them inferior because they play in the WCC and you've never heard of them. That doesn't make them a bad or average basketball team.

Wow some of you people have never watched a NCAA tournament, there are upsets all the time, mid-majors beat majors on a consistent basis. Does that make Portland better than the other us? No, we played poorly and lost, it happens and I am sure it is not going to be our last poorly played game.

Bottomline this was a upset, they shot better, made their free-throws, and they got the vast majority of loose balls.

It's way too early to give-up on the season and if you do how can you really call yourself a fan?

Portland is not an "average" team. Portland is a very good basketball team, well coached with some skilled size (not just a couple of big oafs they run out there like some mid and low majors do) who can shoot. You're discouraged and upset because it says "Portland" on the jersey. You consider them inferior because they play in the WCC and you've never heard of them. That doesn't make them a bad or average basketball team.

i disagree. portland is an average team that played a very good game. minny lacks a legit scorer! we really dont have a "go to" player. we need royce badly! with our supporting class, if we had an evan turner type player, we would have beaten portland by 20. and playing in the wcc does make you very average! you can give gonzaga all the love you want but i still dont respect the wcc, we would and should have the talent to win that conference easily on a yearly basis

Portland has a very good chance of making the NCAA Tourney this year and I expect them to play WVU tough as well. I was frustrated after the loss last night but considering that the game went all the way until the end even though we couldn't hit a free throw, rebound, or make an open three, I was less disappointed. Nothing fell last night. The offense was stagnant for most of the night and didn't make any adjustments until there was 3 minutes left in the game. They pretty much sat around the perimeter and just passed it around til there was 5 seconds left on the shot clock. Everybody was stationary and there were very few cuts to the basket. Thought we could've used our athleticism and speed to a greater advantage if we would've cut to the basket more often and had more dribble drives (we had success when we did but seemed content by merely passing the ball around for 30 seconds). Also would've been nice to have seen more passes to Iverson/Sampson down low and for them to utilize their strength. Iverson had some nice plays last night and a couple easy baskets but we never went down to him in the 2nd half. Our guys can drive to the hole and then either dish it out for the 3 or drop it off to one of the bigs. Simple pick-and-rolls, screens, and backdoor cuts. Really hoping for some better offensive flow and movement tomorrow instead of the pass-pass-pass-jack up a shot offense we used yesterday. Defense was great though we did get a little overaggressive and allow for a lot of open 3-point shots.

Hey guys... Portland fan here. Obviously, I am thrilled with the win last night and hope we can pull the miracle against West Virginia on Sunday.

Anyway, I realize most of this is just hand-wringing after a tough loss, but I will try and cheer you up a bit by assuring you that Portland actually is a pretty good team and this likely won't turn out to be an awful loss.

The WCC is generally a two-bid conference (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and Pepperdine have all earned at-larges this decade, and San Diego has gotten in twice thanks to winning the WCC tournament). A few years ago, it got three teams in. It has it's ups and downs like any conference, but for the most part it is one of the strongest mid-major conferences. So for Portland to get picked #2 in the WCC (and a close #2 to Gonzaga at that), that pretty much means that the other WCC coaches think Portland is a March Madness team.

Portland was #2 in the country in three-point shooting last year and returned its top 12 scorers from a 19-win team. Our coach is in his fourth year now, has all of his own guys, and his staff has all been together the whole time too. Add that to a team with five seniors and four juniors... they are experienced, tough, and savvy.

I know it's too early for them to be super accurate, but if you buy into any of the rating systems (Pomeroy, RealTimeRPI, Massey, etc.), Portland acquits itself very well... Top 20 in some, Top 50 in all. And with the pasting of UCLA and the win over the Gophers on ESPN, now the country has seen us play... good chance we will pick up some votes in the polls, if not push our way into the Top 25 (which probably won't happen, but is fun to think about).

Anyway, it's a long season and there is still a lot of ball to be played, but really... at this point, I can confidently say that barring injury or a huge meltdown, Portland will be a 20+ win team and in the bubble conversation all year. Not terrible to lose to a team like that on a neutral floor.

As for the Gophers... I was really impressed with the defense. Obviously an off shooting night, but you held us to our worst shooting performance this season and last. You forced a ton of turnovers and really made us work for all our points... a team that plays defense like that is definitely going to win plenty of games. Good luck the rest of the way - I will definitely be rooting for you guys, even if it is only out of self-interest! :)

all I can say about this thread while shaking my head in disbelief is wow!

This is way too negative for one bad game this early in the season. The swing it around the perimeter and jack up a bad 3 was NOT a regular occurance in this game, it happened a few times in the last 8 minutes or so of the game. The Gophers missed a ton of shots from inside the arc and, perhaps more importantly, believed that offensive rebounding was not allowed in this particular game.

I don't see why, based on this one poor performance, you would make sweeping negative predictions about the outcome of the entire season. The Gophers played an awful game, yet barely lost to a team that destroyed UCLA and beat Oregon this season.

I see gophermanic has posted in this thread, how fitting. I thought (maybe just hoped?) he was just a football board poster.

+1 Thank God it isn't the FB program.

Hey guys... Portland fan here. Obviously, I am thrilled with the win last night and hope we can pull the miracle against West Virginia on Sunday.

Anyway, I realize most of this is just hand-wringing after a tough loss, but I will try and cheer you up a bit by assuring you that Portland actually is a pretty good team and this likely won't turn out to be an awful loss.

The WCC is generally a two-bid conference (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and Pepperdine have all earned at-larges this decade, and San Diego has gotten in twice thanks to winning the WCC tournament). A few years ago, it got three teams in. It has it's ups and downs like any conference, but for the most part it is one of the strongest mid-major conferences. So for Portland to get picked #2 in the WCC (and a close #2 to Gonzaga at that), that pretty much means that the other WCC coaches think Portland is a March Madness team.

Portland was #2 in the country in three-point shooting last year and returned its top 12 scorers from a 19-win team. Our coach is in his fourth year now, has all of his own guys, and his staff has all been together the whole time too. Add that to a team with five seniors and four juniors... they are experienced, tough, and savvy.

I know it's too early for them to be super accurate, but if you buy into any of the rating systems (Pomeroy, RealTimeRPI, Massey, etc.), Portland acquits itself very well... Top 20 in some, Top 50 in all. And with the pasting of UCLA and the win over the Gophers on ESPN, now the country has seen us play... good chance we will pick up some votes in the polls, if not push our way into the Top 25 (which probably won't happen, but is fun to think about).

Anyway, it's a long season and there is still a lot of ball to be played, but really... at this point, I can confidently say that barring injury or a huge meltdown, Portland will be a 20+ win team and in the bubble conversation all year. Not terrible to lose to a team like that on a neutral floor.

As for the Gophers... I was really impressed with the defense. Obviously an off shooting night, but you held us to our worst shooting performance this season and last. You forced a ton of turnovers and really made us work for all our points... a team that plays defense like that is definitely going to win plenty of games. Good luck the rest of the way - I will definitely be rooting for you guys, even if it is only out of self-interest! :)

Congrats on a nice W for the Pilots, along with other nice W over Oregon and UCLA. Good luck the rest of the season.

Great post, stonehouse. Hopefully this will calm down and cheer up Gopher fans (myself included) with your sensible comments.

Good luck to your Pilots!

and playing in the wcc does make you very average! you can give gonzaga all the love you want but i still dont respect the wcc, we would and should have the talent to win that conference easily on a yearly basis

I dislike the Zags as much as any other fan of a WCC school, but come on now... they have been to 10 straight tournaments, gone to the Sweet 16 five times, been consistently ranked in the Top 25, has produced several draft picks... Gonzaga is legit.

As for the rest of the WCC, yeah, of course there are always bottom-feeders (Portland was one of those for a loooooong time), but what is happening this year really isn't an exception - it is a darn good basktball conference all things considered.

Gonzaga is 5-1, won the Maui Invitatonal with wins over Wisconsin and Cincinatti on neutral floors, and took Michigan State to the brink in East Lansing.

Portland is 5-0 with wins over Oregon, UCLA, and Minnesota - the last two on neutral floors.

San Diego is 4-1 with wins over Stanford and Oklahoma, and just beat Houston to reach the final of the Great Alaska Shootout.

Saint Mary's is 4-0 with wins over tough teams in New Mexico State and San Diego State.

Heck, even lowly Loyola Marymount beat USC on the road.

If Portland somehow beats WVU and San Diego beats Washington State, that would give the WCC wins in three major non-conference tournaments: the Maui Invitational, the 76 Classic, and the Great Alaska Shootout.

Not bad for a terrible mid-major conference, right? :)

Stonehouse

Best of luck to your team. They were the best team on the floor and deserved to win. I hope they win 25 games!

I would love a rematch next March.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! If nothing else, you now have heard of the Portland Pilots, which is more than most people in this country can say. :)

If you are interested, our message board can be found here:

http://www.pilotnation.net/

Nowhere near as many posters as here, and pretty much it is full of us using a lot of exclamation points and saying how excited we are. We have been bad for so long... beating ranked teams in a tournament like this is uncharted territory for us, so it's really fun.

There will be plenty of more games like this this year. We're the Gophers, afterall. Other teams don't point to this thread and laugh because of the fans. They laugh because these games happen to our programs all the time. We're Minnesota, and according to many here, especially in this thread, we all need to be positive at all times, only show passionate support, and be satisfied with results, lest you be branded an idiot, dumbass, middle school kid, or a bedwetter.

We have great academics! Go Gophers!

Stonehouse,

Thanks for the sentiments. How we went from a really good team with high NCAA Tournament hopes to all the of the sudden a team that will be lucky to win 15 and play in the NIT in one night I'll never know. :p

From my perspective, while I still think the Gophers should have won that game and would have had they been able to hit any shot whether it be a two, a three or a free throw, I'm pretty sure that Portland will be a very good team in their conference.

They definitely were the better team last night and deserved to win. Our guys were lax and lazy for the most part. Portland meanwhile played hard, smart and did what they needed to do. Our guys, needless to say, did not.

I think most of us realize we're still a pretty good team and that if we were at full strength (having all of our players), we would be really good. But people always engage in hyperbole after a bad loss. Just the way it goes. :eek:

(Warning, angry rant...No I am not a troll or a Gopher hater, I just love our team too much to not be incredibly pissed off right now)

That was EMBARRASSING!!!

Are you kidding me?!?! I love Tubby but that was one of the most poorly coached games I have ever seen from him. Swing the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds, then jack up a terrible 3 from NBA range. And how hard is it to make a free throw?

Portland is not a good team and we shouldn't say that just to make ourselves feel better. They were horrible. Hell, I could sit and make open 3s if you give them to me all day. I could also defend the Gophers if they're going to just swing it around the whole game.

Pros:

We can now significantly lower our expectations, and maybe be as good as last year to squeak into the NCAA tournament, but likely end up in the NIT.

Cons:

Free Throws - Laughable. I don't know if that's coaching or what, but that's unreal. It's utterly ridiculous. I'm way too pissed to check out a box score right now to see what percentage we shot, but I'm going to guess about 50.

Offense - We might have the worst half court offense in the Big 10, especially against the zone defense. First, we have NO go-to scorer. I was hoping that someone would step into that role, but we honestly have no one.

Coaching - Tubby was brutally outcoached by some scrub. What team wouldn't play zone against us now? Our offensive set against the zone is disgusting. I can draw up something better than that, come on tubby.

Intensity - We played with intensity for about 30 seconds and we actually tried to make it a game. Other than that, we looked like we didn't care and thought that we deserved to win this game. Well look what happens Gophers, when you don't come to play you lose to a horrible WCC team.

Defense - Someone please tell me why we are doubling down on their posts when our post defender has a significant height advantage? Really you think we would figure out that every time we helped down, they kicked it out and nailed a three. Even I figured that out after about 10 possessions. Sampson and Iverson didn't need the help, but sure enough we kept doing it and kept getting burned.

In bounds plays - I've never seen a team run worse in bounds plays. All we do is lob the ball up in the air way in the back court and hope we get it. Never set ourselves up to score, never anything creative, and not even that safe.

Plays out of timeouts - How come we can never draw up an awesome play out of a timeout? Execution maybe? I have no idea but we can never seem to come out of a timeout with a good plan, whereas other teams do a phenomenal job doing so.

My solution....

Each player will sit in the gym every day after practice until he makes 20 free throws in a row. I don't care if you have to stay there all night. If you make 20 free throws straight, you can go home.

We will watch game film of other teams who actually know how to play against the zone. Some ideas might be to actually get the ball to the guy at the free throw line every now and then, maybe even set up a high low sometimes.

Any player who jacks a fadeaway NBA three-pointer will ride pine until their ass is so splintered that they can't sit down anymore.

Any player who can't shoot 50 percent from the line will not see the court ever.

I don't even know what to say any more, I am so frustrated. I'm sure some of the people with the maroon glasses on will be angry at this post for calling out Tubby, but he's not above all criticism. It was a poorly coached and poorly played game. We deserve to drop out of the rankings, we need a wake up call big time.

The odds of us beating A&M tomorrow probably are pretty slim, they played 2 great teams tough, and we beat an overrated mid-major and lost to a terrible WCC team. I'm just as sad as everyone else, but right now I don't see this team being much more than last year, or maybe more like an NIT team.

I don't think you should ever be able to watch another Gophers game in your life. Was Minnesota really going to finish 33-0 this season? I agree with the struggles they had, but take a chill-pill man! What did you say after the Butler game when the Gophs thoroughly out-played a team in the top 15? Portland is a VERY talented squad and Minnesota simply laid an egg.
Oh, by the way, the Gophers had a chance to tie it with 13 seconds left. Good teams play like crap and still have a chance to win.

Rodney Williams

Yikes. He looked completely lost in the half court offense. How about jacking up a fade-away 3-pointer with 21 seconds on the shot clock. I think we need to temper our expectations a little bit here. It's also clear that Tubby does not trust him in crunch time. I wonder what that mock draft looks like now.;)

I don't think you should ever be able to watch another Gophers game in your life. Was Minnesota really going to finish 33-0 this season? I agree with the struggles they had, but take a chill-pill man! What did you say after the Butler game when the Gophs thoroughly out-played a team in the top 15? Portland is a VERY talented squad and Minnesota simply laid an egg.
Oh, by the way, the Gophers had a chance to tie it with 13 seconds left. Good teams play like crap and still have a chance to win.

No I did not expect us to finish 33-0. I expected our losses to come from decent teams, not some crappy WCC team. Stop trying to justify this as a loss to a good team, Portland is TERRIBLE. They're not good. What do you expect one of their tool fans to come in here and say? He really only came over to pound his chest, and you're all too blind to see this? The WCC sucks and is totally a 1 team league, has been forever. So while 33-0 is totally unreasonable, it's not out of the bounds of reality to expect us to roll teams like this if we are going to be a tournament team.

What did I say after the Butler game? I said we beat a team that shouldn't be ranked anywhere near the top 25, and it turns out I was right. VERY talented? My dear god you people are even more off the deep end than you are claiming me to be. Good/Average teams still have a chance to win at the end playing like crap and lose, great teams win.

Dear chest-thumping Portland fan,
Go back to your terrible conference and have fun rolling a bunch of undersized unathletic scrubs on your way to an NIT bid. Maybe we will meet again there.

Yikes. He looked completely lost in the half court offense. How about jacking up a fade-away 3-pointer with 21 seconds on the shot clock. I think we need to temper our expectations a little bit here. It's also clear that Tubby does not trust him in crunch time. I wonder what that mock draft looks like now.;)

Mock draft is all based on potential, which he has loads of. I hope Rodney ends up being a stud, but I think he would've been much better suited out west in the Pac 10 or something, he's going to need to put on some serious bulk to play every night here.

There will be plenty of more games like this this year. We're the Gophers, afterall. Other teams don't point to this thread and laugh because of the fans. They laugh because these games happen to our programs all the time. We're Minnesota, and according to many here, especially in this thread, we all need to be positive at all times, only show passionate support, and be satisfied with results, lest you be branded an idiot, dumbass, middle school kid, or a bedwetter.

We have great academics! Go Gophers!

Hit the nail on the head here. If you're not blindly having ridiculous expectations and can't find the positives in every terrible performance, you're branded an immature idiot apparently. I enjoy the people here who are actually realistic and can see how terrible we were yesterday. Anyone who says "it's just one game" is technically correct, but the argument is incredibly flawed, as these problems with our team are HUGE. We aren't going to find a point guard out of nowhere. We aren't going to find a go to scorer in this roster. We won't learn to rebound overnight. Our guys aren't going to start shooting 20 percent better from the line with a snap of Tubby's fingers.

Thank god for the Vikings or else I'd lose all faith in Minnesota sports as a whole. Lots of season left for the Gophers, just don't see much need to be all rah rah positive after the most embarrassing loss in the past 3 years.

I wonder what that mock draft looks like now.

Speaking of which - There was a comment made either by Katz or one of the local scribes that indicated there are upwards of a dozen NBA scouts at these games. The guys were probably trying a bit too hard at times. Although, I believe more times than not we would beat Portland if we played them, last night was just their night. As far as the rebounding goes, if I'm not mistaken most of the balance towards their side was probably long rebounds off missed threes and all of those went their way, they were positioned for them, we weren't. On the bright side the Gophers only turned it over 10 times last night. I have to agree with the sentiments though that Al is showing he hasn't grown from last year. Other than driving, throwing up a prayer, and trying to draw a foul, we need a point guard that's at least a legimate scoring threat. The free throw shooting was inexcusable last night.

A and M is tough. They will need to regroup. I hope their Disneyland trip didn't get cancelled.

TubbyTown you are about as embarrassing of a fan as I can find in all of Gopher Nation. Quit being a short-sighted middle school jackass and extrapolating one game's worth of data into the entire season. Watch what happens in the next two or three games and see if any adjustments are made. I guarantee you FT shooting will go up and Tubby will practice going specifically against the 2-3 zone.

Yes you're right I'm a huge embarrassment for actually looking at what's wrong with our team instead of making excuses and trying to pump Portland up as some kind of decent team :rolleyes:

Guarantee me that FT shooting will go up? What makes you say that? The way it has gone up the past 2 years right? Oh wait....that hasn't happened

Will practice against a 2-3 zone? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! Tubby has been here how long with mostly the same players? We still don't know how to beat a 2-3 zone? You'd think he might try to practice against it yesterday before playing Portland, because you knew they'd play that against us since we don't have a single shooter. The point is, Tubby better get a new plan against zone defenses because his offense is totally unacceptable.

With John Wall number 1 to the Nets, Patrick Patterson at 12 to the Raptors and Demarcus Cousins to the Bucks at 23 or 24.
:) Sorry couldn't resist.

Why do you have almost 500 posts on a Gopher message board?

Yes you're right I'm a huge embarrassment for actually looking at what's wrong with our team instead of making excuses and trying to pump Portland up as some kind of decent team :rolleyes:

Guarantee me that FT shooting will go up? What makes you say that? The way it has gone up the past 2 years right? Oh wait....that hasn't happened

Will practice against a 2-3 zone? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! Tubby has been here how long with mostly the same players? We still don't know how to beat a 2-3 zone? You'd think he might try to practice against it yesterday before playing Portland, because you knew they'd play that against us since we don't have a single shooter. The point is, Tubby better get a new plan against zone defenses because his offense is totally unacceptable.

I guarantee you will will shoot better than 60% from the line on the season, and it improved from 2008 to last season.

With John Wall number 1 to the Nets, Patrick Patterson at 12 to the Raptors and Demarcus Cousins to the Bucks at 23 or 24.
:) Sorry couldn't resist.

3 first round NBA draft picks ought to bring UK an NCAA title in 2010. No excuses if not. UK has rarely had 3 first rounders in its starting lineup.

No I did not expect us to finish 33-0. I expected our losses to come from decent teams, not some crappy WCC team. Stop trying to justify this as a loss to a good team, Portland is TERRIBLE. They're not good. What do you expect one of their tool fans to come in here and say? He really only came over to pound his chest, and you're all too blind to see this? The WCC sucks and is totally a 1 team league, has been forever. So while 33-0 is totally unreasonable, it's not out of the bounds of reality to expect us to roll teams like this if we are going to be a tournament team.

What did I say after the Butler game? I said we beat a team that shouldn't be ranked anywhere near the top 25, and it turns out I was right. VERY talented? My dear god you people are even more off the deep end than you are claiming me to be. Good/Average teams still have a chance to win at the end playing like crap and lose, great teams win.

Go back to your terrible conference and have fun rolling a bunch of undersized unathletic scrubs on your way to an NIT bid. Maybe we will meet again there.

Whatever you do, don't ever let facts get in the way of your arguments. Just keep yelling at everybody until it's true. JFC, you are a whiny little b!tch.

In your world, if a team isn't from a major conference and has multiple white guys contributing, they are unathletic and terrible.

Just give it up and come back to reality.

Hmm. I guess I don't know where to start. I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Portland and the WCC. Have you seen the teams the WCC has defeated this season? San Diego is in the championship game of the Great Alaska Shootout, defeating Oklahoma and Houston. Gonzaga won the Maui Invitational and took down Wisconsin pretty easy. Portland also handled Oregon. Honestly, how can you come across saying Portand was TERRIBLE? That just blows my mind. It's like you are blind to what is right in front of your face. I agree, Minnesota played horribly, but so did Michigan State, Illinois and Michigan. They all lost to decent teams, just like the Gophers.
I can tell that you know nothing about college basketball aside from the basics. Just because it says PORTLAND on their jerseys doesn't mean they are bad. Come on here and rant if Minnesota falls to Iowa or Indiana.
You are right, Minnesota is not a great team. They are a good team.

Top Bottom