World Cup Qualifiers

As far as Canada goes, they've already played the U.S and Mexico,
We haven't even finished the first half yet. Canada plays Mexico again in Nov and the USA in January. Any injuries or card accumulation is going to cause them a lot of issues. I'm hoping they do come in third, but they'll need some luck on the injury front (not getting injured) to make that happen.

Pepi is the man. He's our best striker, and he's young.

We have a lot of talented midfielders.

This should be a fun team to follow for the next 5 years.

It hasn't been fun to follow for the last 5 years.
I'm guessing Zardes will see a lot of action in tomorrow's game, which is good. Going three games in a row is too much for Pepi. Plus I think Zardes matches up well in this game, a more physical presence on the field.

After a poor showing in Panama, U.S gets a much needed three points at home against Costa Rica. Was hoping for seven points in this window, but will settle for six. Mexico getting all nine points makes that showdown a must win at home if we want to win the Table. Canada putting the beat down on Panama I think solidifies them as a top three team, as they also went and got results in Mexico and the U.S Speaking of Panama, getting all three points vs the U.S was big for them, I think they will have the inside track for the fourth spot. Jamaica going into Honduras and winning and getting a draw vs Canada finally showed some signs of life.

GP GD Pts
Mexico 6 +7 14
USA 6 +5 11
Canada 6 +6 10
Panama 6 0 8
Costa Rica 6 -1 6
Jamaica 6 -4 5
El Salvador 6 -5 5
Honduras 6 -8 3

We haven't even finished the first half yet. Canada plays Mexico again in Nov and the USA in January. Any injuries or card accumulation is going to cause them a lot of issues. I'm hoping they do come in third, but they'll need some luck on the injury front (not getting injured) to make that happen.
They do, but they get both those teams at home the second time around, as anyone knows at this stage, it's a lot more difficult to get results on the road and Canada went into the two toughest countries in the group and got draws. The way to look at it is Mexico will have to go to both Columbus and Toronto in November, it would be like making LSU come to Minnesota for a November game. I agree they need to stay healthy, but the advantage Canada has is they've gotten the two road games with the US and Mexico out of the way and came away with points in both.

Bring it on, USA versus MX tomorrow night. This is a game where the ref certainly earns whatever they're paying him...

Bring it on, USA versus MX tomorrow night. This is a game where the ref certainly earns whatever they're paying him...

The game is still in Ohio, but in Cincinnati instead of the traditional Columbus location. Once again far from a large Mexican community. I would think about 20K of the 26K should be rooting for the red, white & blue.

Berhalter has announced Zack Steffen in goal. The Athletic has a good deep dive into the projected lineup.

The Athletic Preview

Big one tonight, if Mexico gets it we can probably kiss first in the Table good bye, if we win then we are evened up, sounds like we are missing some guys, but we did win the Gold Cup with mostly reserves

It was nice to see what this team can do after playing together for a few games with an actual A lineup out there to start the game.

Energy was high the whole game. First half wasn't perfect, but USMNT seemed to be younger, quicker, and seemed to "want it more" which helped cover the early mistakes.

Second half they played really well. Great to see strong play from so many players. Also great to see the ability to compete without your best player(s) starting. Very sound, very young talent.

It was nice to see what this team can do after playing together for a few games with an actual A lineup out there to start the game.

Energy was high the whole game. First half wasn't perfect, but USMNT seemed to be younger, quicker, and seemed to "want it more" which helped cover the early mistakes.

Second half they played really well. Great to see strong play from so many players. Also great to see the ability to compete without your best player(s) starting. Very sound, very young talent.
They're growing and improving. This is the most talented group we have ever had. Hopefully they will field the best results.

Reactions: MRJ

Most fun I’ve had at a sporting event probably since taking down #1 Indiana. Pure euphoria when the whole stadium is chanting dos a cero while beating Mexico for the 3rd time this year.

the match definitely got chippy. hope the yellows and the one red card don't come back to bite the USA in the next round. can't afford to be missing players.

The questions for the game against the Reggae Boys:

Who will start for McKennie & Robinson? Will there be any other changes?

Big win on Friday, move into first in the standings. If Canada can take Mexico down in Edmonton (they got a draw at Azteca) great opportunity to move into first. Will be a little short at Jamaica due to health and the cards vs Mexico, but it's certainly a winnable Match

I know very little of this obviously, but was surprised to see that Canada had to even qualify for this round of the WC qualifiers. In other words, not even a top five FIFA ranked team in CONCACAF.

Seems crazy for the second wealthiest nation in North America, as opposed to Central American and Carribean countries.

I know very little of this obviously, but was surprised to see that Canada had to even qualify for this round of the WC qualifiers. In other words, not even a top five FIFA ranked team in CONCACAF.

Seems crazy for the second wealthiest nation in North America, as opposed to Central American and Carribean countries.
Soccer is not a big sport in Canada, never has been. Immigration is changing that a bit.

That said, this team is easily Canada's best ever and Alphonso Davies is already Canada's best player ever.

Canada has started to join the gamesmanship inherent to CONCACAF as well. Tomorrow's game against Mexico is in Edmonton where the temperature will be -10 celsius (14 Fahrenheit) with 8 inches of snow tonight. Add in over 50 000 people and it will be a very different game for Mexico that they usually get in Canada.

The US plays in Canada January 30, I assume Edmnoton is too cold to schedule but who knows?

Soccer is not a big sport in Canada, never has been. Immigration is changing that a bit.

That said, this team is easily Canada's best ever and Alphonso Davies is already Canada's best player ever.

Canada has started to join the gamesmanship inherent to CONCACAF as well. Tomorrow's game against Mexico is in Edmonton where the temperature will be -10 celsius (14 Fahrenheit) with 8 inches of snow tonight. Add in over 50 000 people and it will be a very different game for Mexico that they usually get in Canada.

The US plays in Canada January 30, I assume Edmnoton is too cold to schedule but who knows?
Thank you for that explanation. It makes sense to me!

FIFA dictates things like natural grass, right?

Do they have any requirements/rules about weather? Temperature, residual snow from removal efforts, etc?

Saying something like "sorry but your grass is in unacceptable condition, due to cold, snow, etc."?

I really hope I'm in a good mood after our game for this Canada-Mexico game on Hoth. Has the potential to be a classic with the weather.

The US is more frustrating than a Gopher basketball team on the road. 2 shots on goal against a midfield and defense made up of 2 MLS players, 2 USL players, a guy playing for a bottom table Egyptian team, another dude warming the bench in the Jamaican Premier League, and finally a guy that plays in the English Championship. Woof.

When does this crop of talent stop getting away with the excuse that CONCACAF road games are hard and the grass is bumpy? Jamaica had like 3000 fans in the stands tonight. 2 shots on goal against a bunch of scrubs in the most peaceful environment you'll see in CONCACAF.

Defensively we played decent (minus Robinson). Jamaica has talent up top, and Antonio's goal was world class, but offensively we didn't have it.

Last edited:

Canada up 2-0 on Mexico, playing literally on frozen turf up in Edmonton. Way to go Canuks!!! If the result stays, they'll be on top of the standings after 8 games.

As bad as yesterday sounded U.S still got the point. I've been a big fan of Canada but I never thought they would top the table. U.S has three home games left with Panama, El Salvador and Honduras that should all be wins, but road games in Costa Rica, Canada and Mexico, get the nine points at home and figure out away to get five points on the road and that should be enough to win the table. U.S has a friendly vs Bosnia in December and the next window of qualifying we are home vs El Salvador, @ Canada, home vs Honduras

GP GD Pts
Canada 8 +8 16
USA 8 +7 15
Mexico 8 +4 14
Panama 8 +2 14
Costa Rica 8 -1 9
Jamaica 8 -4 7
El Salvador 8 -6 6
Honduras 8 -10 3

The "Behind the Crest" videos put out by U. S. Soccer are pretty good. A lot of 'em take you inside the locker rooms during pre-game, half-time and post-game talks.

The "Behind the Crest" videos put out by U. S. Soccer are pretty good. A lot of 'em take you inside the locker rooms during pre-game, half-time and post-game talks.

Ballsy to make a Travis Scott joke there, Gregg.

Well, we have our first international superstar to be sitting home next December.

Erling Haaland and Norway is out.

Depending on how the draw goes on November 26, one other big name team may be out.

Unless the seeded draw goes in an order like this: Portugal, Scotland, Italy, Russia, Sweden, Wales; there is a chance that Portugal, Italy & Sweden might meet the other for one of the 3 spots left in Europe. Me, I'm rooting for the Welsh to make it to Qatar.

Top Bottom