World Cup Qualifiers

MplsGopher

Reaction score
FIFA is weird. And corrupt as hell. As corrupt as the IOC.

Anyway!

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score
Well, we have our first international superstar to be sitting home next December.

Erling Haaland and Norway is out.

Depending on how the draw goes on November 26, one other big name team may be out.

Unless the seeded draw goes in an order like this: Portugal, Scotland, Italy, Russia, Sweden, Wales; there is a chance that Portugal, Italy & Sweden might meet the other for one of the 3 spots left in Europe. Me, I'm rooting for the Welsh to make it to Qatar.
Okay, first we've got to qualify, but there's a chance we could be seeded in the World Cup drawings. We're currently ranked 12th in the world, with Italy and Portugal ahead of us. If they don't make the World Cup, then in terms of seeding we're then in the 10th spot, meaning we just have to move up three spots to be seeded in the World Cup drawings. If we do a solid showing in our final four games there's a really good chance we would indeed move up those three slots. A lot would have to break our way, but it could happen.

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score
The USA vs El Salvador game, which will be played on Jan 27th, is either going to be held at Allianz or in Ohio. Decision coming soon. Playing in sub-zero conditions versus El Salvador would be some home-court advantage.

1637343343317.png

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland are all separate in FIFA's eyes.
d8ea28ccf862658a444b3ad877cff53fd195157c.gifv

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
The USA vs El Salvador game, which will be played on Jan 27th, is either going to be held at Allianz or in Ohio. Decision coming soon. Playing in sub-zero conditions versus El Salvador would be some home-court advantage.

View attachment 15424
If it is Allianz, I will be there (just have to start stocking up on more layers).

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score

View attachment 15424
And it's now official, we get Honduras instead of El Salvador. Game on at Allianz !!! Here's the schedule.
  • Jan 27: El Salvador in Columb
  • Jan 30: Canada in Hamilton, Ontario
  • Feb 2: Honduras in St Paul
Imagine you're Honduras.. you have 3 points from 7 games, you sit in last place in the Octagon, and now you have to travel to Minnesota in February for a game. Sucks to be them...

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Were we getting a game no matter what, and essentially as a "reward" for building a new soccer-specific stadium?

Or is it really because of weather? Also wonder how much having the great crowd for the Carli Lloyd send off helped?

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Canada and the United States have a huge advantage for winter home games. How many other countries enjoy such an advantage?

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Curious to see what the ticket prices will be for a February game at Allianz.

I mean, I think I'll probably go, but that's cold for American players let alone Honduras.

Does Allianz field have heating Coyles?
They took them from TCF when the MNUFC quit playing their home games at TCF, correct?

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score

I mean, I think I'll probably go, but that's cold for American players let alone Honduras.

They took them from TCF when the MNUFC quit playing their home games at TCF, correct?

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score

Probably the same as Columbus against Costa Rica. Expect the cheap seats to be around $85. Possibly a little cheaper since the game is being played in the arctic, but don’t count on it and be pleasantly surprised if tickets are cheaper.

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
Were we getting a game no matter what, and essentially as a "reward" for building a new soccer-specific stadium?

Or is it really because of weather? Also wonder how much having the great crowd for the Carli Lloyd send off helped?
Before WCQ qualifying started, many people thought Allianz would get a game because of the cooler weather and favorable demographics. Granted, people were pegging us for a fall game, not the most brutal part of winter.

I think many wrote St. Paul off when the Costa Rica game went to Columbus in October. The USWNT game felt like it was given to Allianz as an apology for being passed over for WCQ. Nobody predicted they’d play this many games in the Midwest, and nobody expected the US to go to Minnesota in freaking February.

After Allianz didn’t get the Costa Rica game, people figured that this upcoming window would be played out East and the March window would be played down south. So this comes as a major surprise at the moment since nobody actually thought we would willingly come play a game in February in St. Paul.

I think all these Midwest games are a direct result of missing the last World Cup. Last cycle we went and got our butts kicked in New Jersey by Costa Rica in a game that was heavily attended by Costa Rica fans, then we started this cycle playing in a half empty NFL stadium in Nashville and dropped points to Canada. I think Gregg is doing everything in his power to not drop anymore points at home, even if it pisses off some fans that more than half of our home qualifiers get played in Ohio and Minnesota.

Last edited:

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Before WCQ qualifying started, many people thought Allianz would get a game because of the cooler weather and favorable demographics. Granted, people were pegging us for a fall game, not the most brutal part of winter.

I think many wrote St. Paul off when the Costa Rica game went to Columbus in October. The USWNT game felt like it was given to Allianz as an apology for being passed over for WCQ. Nobody predicted they’d play this many games in the Midwest, and nobody expected the US to go to Minnesota in freaking February.

After Allianz didn’t get the Costa Rica game, people figured that this upcoming window would be played out East and the March window would be played down south. So this comes as a major surprise at the moment since nobody actually thought we would willingly come play a game in February in St. Paul.

I think all these Midwest games are a direct result of missing the last World Cup. Last cycle we went and got our butts kicked in New Jersey by Costa Rica in a game that was heavily attended by Costa Rica fans, then we started this cycle playing in a half empty NFL stadium in Nashville and dropped points to Canada. I think Gregg is doing everything in his power to not drop anymore points at home, even if it pisses off some fans that more than half of our home qualifiers get played in Ohio and Minnesota.

The last WCQ was shocking how much of a road game that Costa Rica game was.

I'm shocked they picked MN for February, but our road game out of that camp is Canada, so they are going to play a cold one anyway, and this will shorten the travel I assume between games.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
The last WCQ was shocking how much of a road game that Costa Rica game was.

I'm shocked they picked MN for February, but our road game out of that camp is Canada, so they are going to play a cold one anyway, and this will shorten the travel I assume between games.
Less travel and preparation for the cold.

Top Bottom