Wiscy Game Canceled

I say the teams meet up in some park somewhere.

I'll bring water and chairs.

I say the teams meet up in some park somewhere.

I'll bring water and chairs.

You know, I like the idea. If the Big Ten and the NCAA won't let the game be played in the Spring, the players could have their own game. Can't stop a bunch of players from playing a game in a park right? Maybe in May, the players from both teams get together and have a a pickup game.

Predicting or even hoping when the game will be played in the midst of a pandemic going through the states of WI and MN is folly.
Why should someone like Bateman risk an NFL career in what has turned out to be the cluster that rational people predicted?
Give tOSU the title and send them to the final four to have AL kick their ass, cancel all games after this weekend while the rest of us start to watch college BB which starts tomorrow.
And on Friday gloat while IA takes apart NE whose players for reasons known only to them sued to get to be embarrassed.

Don't think I've posted that. Just that it's too early to make that decision now. That and nearly anything that we've came-up with on here has looked like it's just designed to get a MN/WI game played regardless of any other situation or schools involved.

You couldn't understand that huh?

Strange.

I understood perfectly.

Don't think I've posted that. Just that it's too early to make that decision now. That and nearly anything that we've came-up with on here has looked like it's just designed to get a MN/WI game played regardless of any other situation or schools involved.

You couldn't understand that huh?

Strange.
They shouldn't do it just for MN/WI. If there are no more cancellations in the next 3 weeks, great. But in the far more likely event that doesn't happen, scrap all/most of the cross-over games no one give a %^^ about and re-schedule as many lost division rivalries as possible.

This cancellation eliminated Wisconsin from potentially winning the West by them not playing 6 games.

Silver Lining to this cloud.

Now just have to beat nebby and our crossover to be bowl eligible. Sounds good to me.

The Gophers could end up missing Wisconsin and NW and be back healthy for Nebraska? We could go .500!!!

Not saying that I want us to miss more games.

They shouldn't do it just for MN/WI. If there are no more cancellations in the next 3 weeks, great. But in the far more likely event that doesn't happen, scrap all/most of the cross-over games no one give a %^^ about and re-schedule as many lost division rivalries as possible.
Why shouldn’t they do it just for MN/WI?

if Michigan Ohio state got canceled you don’t think the league would bend over backwards for it?
MN and WI should tell the conference they are playing whether the conference likes it or not so they may as well plan around it

if Michigan Ohio state got canceled you don’t think the league would bend over backwards for it?
MN and WI should tell the conference they are playing whether the conference likes it or not so they may as well plan around it

They certainly could reschedule it there. We just don't know yet how many other games will be cancelled in the Conference before then. And in the mania here to get this done people seem to be ignoring the potentially biggest obstacle to playing it even then.

Either the Badgers or Gophers won't be able to play it. Big Ten should wait as long as the can before the schedule any games after the season is done. Better chance they could be played.

Wisconsin and Minnesota are part of the current wave of COVID19 resurgence. People forget that back in September the Badgers had a big out break of positive tests.

They've already had to cancel two games. If the season started on time the Badgers maybe on their 4 or 5th cancellation.

Badgers REALLY want to play it. They are having visions of a 59-0 thrashing. Here it's a Gopher Football Board. Most want to see the game for a chance to bring the Axe back home and have a record of 2-1 against the hated team to the East.

Oh you're saying the record wouldn't be 2-1? It sure would be. Much like all the Badger fans don't count anything before 1993, not going count the 0-14 streak before '18.

Last edited:

They certainly could reschedule it there. We just don't know yet how many other games will be cancelled in the Conference before then. And in the mania here to get this done people seem to be ignoring the potentially biggest obstacle to playing it even then.

Either the Badgers or Gophers won't be able to play it. Big Ten should wait as long as the can before the schedule any games after the season is done. Better chance they could be played.

Wisconsin and Minnesota are part of the current wave of COVID19 resurgence. People forget that back in September the Badgers had a big out break of positive tests.

They've already had to cancel two games. If the season started on time the Badgers maybe on their 4 or 5th cancellation.

Badgers REALLY want to play it. They are having visions of a 59-0 thrashing. Here it's a Gopher Football Board. Most want to see the game for a chance to bring the Axe back home and have a record of 2-1 against the hated team to the East.

Oh you're saying the record wouldn't be 2-1? It sure would be. Much like all the Badger fans don't count anything before 1993, not going count the 0-14 streak before '18.
I’m not sure what you’re even talking about in your last two paragraphs. I think most on this board assume Wisconsin would win handily and want the game to be played for the sake of being a part of the longest consecutive played rivalry. That’s what I’ve seen people saying. Probably less than 20% of posters on here thought the gophers would win. I’m not sure the gophers would lose 69-0 as I don’t think Wisconsin’s offense is that good and I don’t think Minnesota’s offense is that bad. I would project something around 40-20...which is why the Vegas line was like 22 or something.

Of course you don’t know if it could be played. It would be really easy to schedule.
There will be no games scheduled in between the conference title games and the bowl games (if they happen) IMO. I think the only way a game happens is on crossover weekend. 0% chance it happens any other weekend....

still not sure the big ten brass think the season should even be happening. They aren’t going to schedule exhibitions on Christmas

What would have to be repeats?
I would assume they don’t want repeat games.
The suggested I gave have zero repeat games.

I am not understanding what you’re saying is wrong with the match ups I proposed:

1 northwestern vs 1 Ohio state
3 Iowa vs 2 Indiana
2 Wisconsin vs 5 Minnesota
3 Maryland vs 6 Michigan state
4 Purdue vs 4 Michigan
6 Rutgers vs 7
7 penn state vs 6 Illinois

None of those are repeat games. The following division games will still be not played this year in that scenario:
Purdue vs Wisconsin
Maryland vs Ohio state (can’t happen due to Ohio state in championship)
Wisconsin vs Nebraska
I think this a great plan. For whatever reason you left out 7 Nebraska, the worst team in the West (music to my ears).

"Badgers REALLY want to play it. They are having visions of a 59-0 thrashing. Here it's a Gopher Football Board. Most want to see the game for a chance to bring the Axe back home and have a record of 2-1 against the hated team to the East.

Oh you're saying the record wouldn't be 2-1? It sure would be. Much like all the Badger fans don't count anything before 1993, not going count the 0-14 streak before '18."

I’m not sure what you’re even talking about in your last two paragraphs.

That's okay

Last edited:

"Badgers REALLY want to play it. They are having visions of a 59-0 thrashing. Here it's a Gopher Football Board. Most want to see the game for a chance to bring the Axe back home and have a record of 2-1 against the hated team to the East.

Oh you're saying the record wouldn't be 2-1? It sure would be. Much like all the Badger fans don't count anything before 1993, not going count the 0-14 streak before '18."

That's okay
Were you saying you think it is a win for the gophers? It might be. I wouldn’t bet on it but it might be.

I don’t think who probably wins the game has anything to do with the possibility of it getting scheduled.

We obviously won't know much of anything about future games for a week or so, but I highly doubt the NW game will be played if this "outbreak" took off over the weekend. I'm even wondering if the Nebraska game is in jeopardy given the 21-day timeline wouldn't end for brand new positives until after the Neb game is scheduled. If that includes multiple OL as insinuated in this thread, that would put MN in a pretty tight spot.

We obviously won't know much of anything about future games for a week or so, but I highly doubt the NW game will be played if this "outbreak" took off over the weekend. I'm even wondering if the Nebraska game is in jeopardy given the 21-day timeline wouldn't end for brand new positives until after the Neb game is scheduled. If that includes multiple OL as insinuated in this thread, that would put MN in a pretty tight spot.
Wisconsin was able to play the 3rd game, and the game before was a Friday night game, like our Purdue game.

Being able to play the Nebraska game will probably depend on how similar our situation is to what they dealt with and if we can get ours under control fast enough, as they were. I do believe they quarantined all players in a hotel. Wonder if we're doing the same.

Wisconsin didn't want the smoke. We were about to lay a beat down on them.......... lol

I'm not complaining if they do. And yes they would do it for Michigan OSU.

They really need to revise the 21 day guideline. I hope they do for basketball at least. It is excessive especially for people that don't develop symptoms.

They really need to revise the 21 day guideline. I hope they do for basketball at least. It is excessive especially for people that don't develop symptoms.
I think it is to test for heart conditions during that third week.
I have no idea if that’s good science or not. I don’t see them changing it though.

I still don't see this happening unless the B1G decides to scrap the "cross-over" concept for week #9 and uses that week to make up games lost due to covid.

if the B1G scraps the cross-over, then MN-WI could happen.

But I don't see it happening as an exception if other teams are playing cross-over games.

The B1G made it clear with Neb that the same rules apply to all the teams in the conference.

if the B1G says "no exceptions" to Neb, but then allows an exception for MN, the Neb fans, coaches and AD will go absolutely bat-bleep crazy. and the B1G knows it.

so, if the cross-over concept remains, MN will be playing a team from the East division.
if the cross-over is dropped, then maybe they play WI.

But, as noted, it all depends on covid. Shoot, for all we know, the Gophers may have played their last game of the season.

Now just have to beat nebby and our crossover to be bowl eligible. Sounds good to me.
Bowl eligibility will be a whole different deal this year. It'll be interesting to see how many bowl games are actually played.

I still don't see this happening unless the B1G decides to scrap the "cross-over" concept for week #9 and uses that week to make up games lost due to covid.

But I don't see it happening as an exception if other teams are playing cross-over games.

The B1G made it clear with Neb that the same rules apply to all the teams in the conference.

if the B1G says "no exceptions" to Neb, but then allows an exception for MN, the Neb fans, coaches and AD will go absolutely bat-bleep crazy. and the B1G knows it.

so, if the cross-over concept remains, MN will be playing a team from the East division.

But, as noted, it all depends on covid. Shoot, for all we know, the Gophers may have played their last game of the season.
Nebraska wanted to schedule a non-conference opponent though, and a cupcake at that.

This is making up a conference game that is a rivalry.

So you don’t think it will happen unless is happens?
Did I get that right?

If the conference cares at all about the players and coaches, their health needs to come before rivalry games. Forget about crossover games and enjoy the Northwestern/tOSU game if those teams are healthy.

Top Bottom