Wisconsin targeting Luke Fickell

C’mon, Madison, give it up already. Dude is still wandering around trying get the knife out of his back.

Fluke Flickett isn’t a total moron. This is exactly what he has to tell you all.

I can’t see it happening but if you love the program enough you’re ok getting screwed over.

Fickell could just be doing Leonhard a solid by prepping him for his next job interview. He is a candidate for the Cincinnati HC gig.

Fickell could just be doing Leonhard a solid by prepping him for his next job interview. He is a candidate for the Cincinnati HC gig.

Yeah, I think going through the motions here is the adult way for both of them to handle it.

If Leonhard doesn't get a HC job next year, I'd bet a lot of money that he'll be Green Bay's DC next year.

Leonhard bleeds Badger red. Maybe he will hang with Fickell and stay in Madtown. Guessing Badger fans would be ecstatic.

I wouldn't bet either way, but I wouldn't be that surprised if Leonhard stayed at Wisconsin for at least a season or two. Even though he's only 40, he may not want to become a football gypsy in the way many assistant coaches become. The problem, as some have pointed out, is that if Fickell starts slow, there will be clamoring from the fan base (which we have already seen a bit of).

As for a possible Green Bay job, the defensive coordinator job will likely be open. That said, I'm a Packer fan and that place is on the verge of a mess and Leonhard want to avoid that place for a while. Plus, the pros are a different animal. Leonhard strikes me as a college guy.

That is almost word for word what he said when Chryst was dumped. What is gained by acting like …’even I didn’t see this coming’. Again, WI just own it.

I just can't picture Jimmy staying on as DC after all that has happened. I was surprised Fickell even had that conversation with him.
Loyalty. Extremely powerful emotion that can be used against a good person.

Marcus Freeman is the DC that Fickell originally hired. Last two years have been Dick Tressel (Jim's nephew, and son of Dick, a long time coach at Hamline -- did not know that!). No idea how he feels about Tressel and if he would ask him to come to Wisc.

I just don’t pay attention to the coaches I guess. I know Cincy had a nice run in 21 but I couldn’t name one player on the team or the coach apparently...
Ummmm ... From that Cincinnati team of 2021, nine players were taken in the following NFL draft of April, 2022.
Luke Fickell has recruited and developed some talent.

Gophs may as well just give up...Ficky the Badger is putting up a WALL of RECRUITING in a 300-mile radius around Madison! How will we ever compete with Ficky the Badger??!!

Average salary of 7.9M x7 years = 55.3M total- annual salary just outside the top ten in all the land - wow. Chryst was making 5.25M.

Ummmm ... From that Cincinnati team of 2021, nine players were taken in the following NFL draft of April, 2022.
Luke Fickell has recruited and developed some talent.
Wow. I have been reading up what I can on him the last few days and sounds like he can turn out some players. I’m really not into watching the draft at all so I usually couldn’t tell you who is who. 9 guys off one team is impressive though.

Wow. I have been reading up what I can on him the last few days and sounds like he can turn out some players. I’m really not into watching the draft at all so I usually couldn’t tell you who is who. 9 guys off one team is impressive though.
Their stud QB Desmond Ridderlead then to the CFB playoffs and was a 2 star recruit out of HS

In another thread on 11-21 I opened that Minnesota should back up a Brinks truck to Fickels house IF they were serious about replacing Fleck. Nobody thought it was feasible. Now Wisc and Nebraska have coaches who have developed BCS contenders at schools with more challenges than Minnesota. Fickel is a great recruiter who is hooked into the fertile football areas of Ohio. Look for him to be successful as well as Rhule with his Texas connections.

In another thread on 11-21 I opened that Minnesota should back up a Brinks truck to Fickels house IF they were serious about replacing Fleck. Nobody thought it was feasible. Now Wisc and Nebraska have coaches who have developed BCS contenders at schools with more challenges than Minnesota. Fickel is a great recruiter who is hooked into the fertile football areas of Ohio. Look for him to be successful as well as Rhule with his Texas connections.
Nobody knows if either of these guys will make it. Plenty of coaches left a program where they were great and flopped. On paper they look like home runs but I thought the same of Frost, Brohm (he’s been ok) and Rich Rodriguez.

I like Rhule and think he's a good coach, but he never built a BCS contender at Baylor. They were ranked 7th a couple weeks and never threatened to make the playoffs. Hell, we were ranked 8th in the CFP two separate times that year.

Also, he's from the Northeast and spent practically his entire coaching career there. If he has any pipeline at all, it would be the NJ/NY/PA area.

Coaching at Baylor I’m sure he made some contacts in Texas. He built that team from a bottom dweller to a big 12 contender with Texas talent. Fickel made the championship 4 as a non power school. Only time that has happened . The Big 10 west got a little harder with those 2 coming in. Add Riley at USC and Kelly at UCLA and things get interesting

I like Rhule and think he's a good coach, but he never built a BCS contender at Baylor. They were ranked 7th a couple weeks and never threatened to make the playoffs. Hell, we were ranked 8th in the CFP two separate times that year.
Indeed!

What a loser, that he couldn't build them up from how Briles left them into a CFP contender in three years.

I think Fickel is a great hire, but look at the season Cincinnati went to the CFP.....their schedule was as soft as tissue paper. They beat an ALWAYS overrated Notre Dame team and Houston in their conference championship game. Just sayin......not as easy in the B10

I really wish Wisconsin had hired Jimmy......looked like he had the same bland offensive philosophy as Chryst. Can't imagine he sticks around to be DC. From what I've heard, he and the staff were pretty blind-sided by not getting the job. Their were certain "promises" made that if he stuck around at the end of last season instead of heading to the NFL (Packers DC) that he would get the job when Chryst was ready to be done.

Ah good point. Nothing happened when Briles left.

He just decided to hang it up and call it a career, for no reason. They still had exactly the same talent there.

And there was nothing about the kinds of people that Briles was recruiting that might have contributed to his success, either.

Yep, nothing at all to see there. Good point

Anyway!

I have no idea how Rhule is going to do at Nebraska. Possibly, he'll just leave again in 3/4 years. Would fit the trend.

Possibly, no one -- Saban included -- can ever make Neb football perform at the level that the fans dream of, ever again.

Who knows

Lol first of all Baylor finished ranked lower than Minnesota in Rhule’s best season.
Secondly, it is much easier to win at Baylor than Minnesota and that’s why the last 3 coaches there have all won at a high level.

Top Bottom