Wisconsin targeting Luke Fickell

I don’t know why he would pick Wisconsin. Ohio state might be open at the end of next year. Cinci going to big 12. If Fickell takes it it means he doesn’t think you can win bigger than that at Cincinnati in the big 12

Which is a red flag to me.

Hot take, Fickell is overrated.
Only guy I’ve ever seen not win at Ohio state.
Won 2 conference titles in 5 years at a school where Brian Kelly had them unbeaten. Butch Jones won enough to get TN job, Tommy Tuberville retirement tour won 9 games twice.

I think it’s really easy to win at cincinatti. Medium fish in a little pond. Now they’re going to be a medium fish in a much bigger pond. Fickell might want to leave now because he knows that.
If the p5 was deeper last year an Fickell lost the fiesta bowl instead of losing the playoff game, is his name as hot?
You don't think Cincinnati can win the Big 12? The big two are leaving and that conference was barely a step up from the AAC with them!

You don't think Cincinnati can win the Big 12? The big two are leaving and that conference was barely a step up from the AAC with them!
I certainly think they can some years.

I don’t think they can contend every year. They aren’t in the American championship this year. The highs can be just as high. The lows will be lower

I certainly think they can some years.

I don’t think they can contend every year. They aren’t in the American championship this year. The highs can be just as high. The lows will be lower
You make it sound like the Bearcats would never be able to win the Big 12.With Fickell as their HC, they would contend for the Big 12 title quite often.

You make it sound like the Bearcats would never be able to win the Big 12.With Fickell as their HC, they would contend for the Big 12 title quite often.
They aren’t in the American conference title game every year under Fickell.
I certainly think a 7-5 season is much more likely for them in the big 12 than the American

Not sure they walk in an finish top 4 every year in a league with TCU, Baylor, K State, UCF, BYU, etc

People are touchy. Saying cincinatti isn’t going to win 9 games every year in the big 12 isn’t a very large insult.

Maybe he realized that he wasn't going to be able to keep winning at that level without Desmond Ridder and decided to get paid before the magic of last season wears off.

Not the first coaching hire to join the B1G on the back of an explosive season. Frost didn't work. No guarantees with Fickell either.

They aren’t in the American conference title game every year under Fickell.
I certainly think a 7-5 season is much more likely for them in the big 12 than the American

Not sure they walk in an finish top 4 every year in a league with TCU, Baylor, K State, UCF, BYU, etc

People are touchy. Saying cincinatti isn’t going to win 9 games every year in the big 12 isn’t a very large insult.
I think Fickell would win 8+ games regularly in the Big 12 where most teams believe defense is optional! Just one man's opinion though!

I think Fickell would win 8+ games regularly in the Big 12 where most teams believe defense is optional! Just one man's opinion though!
Winning 8 games every year would be a significant reduction in what he has been doing and makes my point. He hasn’t won less than 9 since year 1 at cinci

Fickell was NE's first choic and some of their fans are pouting.

Winning 8 games every year would be a significant reduction in what he has been doing and makes my point. He hasn’t won less than 9 since year 1 at cinci
True! But he's also a good enough coach and recruiter to win Big 12 titles and have a TCU like season. You are aware that they came from MWC right!

I think fickell is a good coach, but I don't think he turns WI into this unstoppable powerhouse. They will continue to win 7-10 games a year but never be up there with OSU/MICH.

I am personally VERY happy neither NEB or WI got Leipold from KU. I think that guy is a star.

True! But he's also a good enough coach and recruiter to win Big 12 titles and have a TCU like season. You are aware that they came from MWC right!
yeah I don’t disagree with that. It just wouldn’t be every year contention like it is in the American. That’s what I’ve said. I don’t think we disagree

I think fickell is a good coach, but I don't think he turns WI into this unstoppable powerhouse. They will continue to win 7-10 games a year but never be up there with OSU/MICH.

I am personally VERY happy neither NEB or WI got Leipold from KU. I think that guy is a star.
Agreed Leipold would have brought Wisconsin back to Bielema and Alvarez level excellence. I don't think Fickell will.

Wisky is obviously a better, more prestigious job than Cincy. But I’m surprised Fickell would take this option. Seems like he had a better shot than almost anyone at the big boys.

Then again, I think people were surprised Fleck took this job.

This should take the sting out of yesterday’s loss for our Badger friends.

It's a solid hire but not some lock to elevate them into a top 10 team. I assume there is no chance Leonard stays as DC now, so their D could take a step back.

It's a solid hire but not some lock to elevate them into a top 10 team. I assume there is no chance Leonard stays as DC now, so their D could take a step back.
I think he is just as good or better DC than Leonard but there is going to be a personnel transition especially when it comes to depth.

yeah I don’t disagree with that. It just wouldn’t be every year contention like it is in the American. That’s what I’ve said. I don’t think we disagree
Fair enough! But Cincinnati joining the Big 12 isn't on Fickell's list of reasons why he would leave imo.

Fair enough! But Cincinnati joining the Big 12 isn't on Fickell's list of reasons why he would leave imo.
I would guess his leaving has to do with the fact he doesn’t want to be at cinci in 5 years and he feels this is the best chance to jump rather than waiting around for an Ohio state team that already spurned him once

Wisky is obviously a better, more prestigious job than Cincy. But I’m surprised Fickell would take this option. Seems like he had a better shot than almost anyone at the big boys.

Then again, I think people were surprised Fleck took this job.

This should take the sting out of yesterday’s loss for our Badger friends.
The reactions have been mixed. You had a new AD take over for a legend. That new AD fires mid season a homegrown coach. The replacement appears, even internally, to be another homegrown guy but now they’re bringing someone in from the outside instead. I think a lot of people are pissed off at what’s happened. But over time I think that will slowly fade if Fickell wins.

FWIW - saw a couple of comments about Volleyball.

You do realize that Wisconsin is the defending NCAA D1 Volleyball Champs?

I think that makes them a "volleyball school." For all of the Gophers' success under McCutcheon, they haven't won an NCAA VB title.

on Fickell - look, you either rise to meet the competition or you don't. If Fickell makes WI a stronger program, then Fleck will either have to make MN stronger, or live with the consequences.

I see this as a very solid hire. This will spice things up in Madison and Fickell matches a very accomplished coaching resume with solid Midwest and B1G experience.

I personally would have him a lot higher on my wish list than Matt Ruhl. Which reminds me, it was discussed back when WI/NB fired their coaches, which is the more desirable job. No question for me it is Wisconsin, and perhaps this proves that point.

ESPN seems to be reporting same thing. Looks like Fickell is Wisky next head coach.
Makes sense. They need a head coach who can recruit and develop players. B1G not getting any easier with USC & UCLA joining.

Top Bottom