Wisconsin targeting Luke Fickell

I never understood why they would promote a DC with no HC experience.

This would be a huge for WI if they could land him. But I would think he’d have to be the second highest paid coach in the league.
I don’t know why he would pick Wisconsin. Ohio state might be open at the end of next year. Cinci going to big 12. If Fickell takes it it means he doesn’t think you can win bigger than that at Cincinnati in the big 12

Which is a red flag to me.

Hot take, Fickell is overrated.
Only guy I’ve ever seen not win at Ohio state.
Won 2 conference titles in 5 years at a school where Brian Kelly had them unbeaten. Butch Jones won enough to get TN job, Tommy Tuberville retirement tour won 9 games twice.

I think it’s really easy to win at cincinatti. Medium fish in a little pond. Now they’re going to be a medium fish in a much bigger pond. Fickell might want to leave now because he knows that.
If the p5 was deeper last year an Fickell lost the fiesta bowl instead of losing the playoff game, is his name as hot?

I don't see it happening. The only other jobs Fickell would be interested in would be Notre Dame or Ohio State. He's making five million at Cincinnati, an Ohio kid, relaxed academic standards, lives in a recruiting hot bed, and they are going to the Big 12. Wisconsin's draconian hiring procedures, academics and lack of funds for assistant coaches would make it a hard sell.

Who's paying for what it would cost???

Fickell is making $5M/year and locked in through 2028. Whomever wants him, will have to pay that buyout too.

Really think Fickell wants to wait for Ohio State to fire Day.

I don't see it happening. The only other jobs Fickell would be interested in would be Notre Dame or Ohio State. He's making five million at Cincinnati, an Ohio kid, relaxed academic standards, lives in a recruiting hot bed, and they are going to the Big 12. Wisconsin's draconian hiring procedures, academics and lack of funds for assistant coaches would make it a hard sell.
I think there are a lot of reasons to leave before the program hits the big 12
See Gary Patterson at TCU once they left a mid major to become a major.

Hot take, Fickell is overrated.
Only guy I’ve ever seen not win at Ohio state.
In the other thread you say Wisc was good in 2010 and 2011 because OSU was on sanctions.

Here, you then blame Fickell for not winning out of one year ..... in 2011 when they were on sanctions .....

In the other thread you say Wisc was good in 2010 and 2011 because OSU was on sanctions.

Here, you then blame Fickell for not winning out of one year ..... in 2011 when they were on sanctions .....
The sanctions I was talking about was tressel getting a show cause penalty and a post season ban. Not the 3 scholarships lost

Wisconsin literally won the big ten while getting 3rd in the division but the top two both banned

The sanctions I was talking about was tressel getting a show cause penalty and a post season ban. Not the 3 scholarships lost

Wisconsin literally won the big ten while getting 3rd in the division but the top two both banned
That was 2012.

In the other thread I was talking about Wisc's 2010 and 2011 seasons.

So I probably agree with you about Fickell's 2011 season, unless they lost a ton of players due to players leaving (whether early for the NFL or transferring out) knowing that the poop was hitting the fan.

But that invalidates what you said about Wisc, since I was not talking about the 2012 season.

Wow $5M @ WKRP

That was 2012.

In the other thread I was talking about Wisc's 2010 and 2011 seasons.

So I probably agree with you about Fickell's 2011 season, unless they lost a ton of players due to players leaving (whether early for the NFL or transferring out) knowing that the poop was hitting the fan.

But that invalidates what you said about Wisc, since I was not talking about the 2012 season.
Nothing you said invalidates anything I said.
Wisconsin won legit titles multiple times, I never claimed otherwise.
What helped them win 3 in a row was the implosion of Ohio state and penn state in the same two years.
2011 - penn state falls apart when scandal breaks while Ohio state goes 6-6 with Fickell.
2012 - Wisconsin gets third in division when 12-0 Ohio state under Meyer and 2nd place penn State are banned.

...... 2010?
They won the big ten title?

I don’t understand your point.
My point was that Wisconsin is seen as a perennial big ten title contender because they happen to have a nice up cycle while in a division with the top two programs imploding while Michigan also happened to be down. They won 3 in 3 years. One of them they were 7-5. Michigan state had a ton of success at this time as well.

In reality, without that perfect storm they’re more of an Iowa and Michigan state level program. That is, a really good program who is an occasional contender not a perennial contender. They’ve now come back down to that.

They won the big ten title?
Yep, they sure did.

Hence why I referenced that in the Wisc thread, and how their team this year looks nothing like the 2010 team.

OK good, we're on the same page. And you brought up a very valid point about 2011, and then also 2012.

Yep, they sure did.

Hence why I referenced that in the Wisc thread, and how their team this year looks nothing like the 2010 team.

OK good, we're on the same page. And you brought up a very valid point about 2011, and then also 2012.
I added to my last post

I added to my last post
Your additional points seem correct too. We should talk about them in that other thread.

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell for Wisc to land Fickell, unless there is some massive donor or donor group that emerges and is ready to spend the level of money that has never been spent before on Wisc football. Ohio State/Michigan level money.

As far as I know/remember, Fleck, Ferentz, and Chryst were all making roughly about the same?

It‘s an interesting story whether they land him or not, because their AD is obviously shopping around hard, despite what they’ve been telling everybody about how “it’s Jim Leonard‘s job if he wants it.”

Huge bluff on the AD’s part; the Wisky media got played.

Your additional points seem correct too. We should talk about them in that other thread.

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell for Wisc to land Fickell, unless there is some massive donor or donor group that emerges and is ready to spend the level of money that has never been spent before on Wisc football. Ohio State/Michigan level money.

As far as I know/remember, Fleck, Ferentz, and Chryst were all making roughly about the same?
I think Ferentz makes way more than the other two but I could be wrong

I think Ferentz makes way more than the other two but I could be wrong
What I could quickly find from Google search:

Ferentz:
Jan 14, 2022 — It includes a $500,000 base, $5.5 million in supplemental compensation and a $1 million longevity bonus. The contract expires on Jan. 31, 2030.

Fleck:
Nov 3, 2021 — The new contract raises Fleck's annual salary from $4.65 million to $5.1 million. His buyout if he leaves Minnesota is $10 million before Dec.

Chryst:
Oct 3, 2022 — UW officials last October gave Chryst a new contract which included a raise of about $900,000 and a total compensation package of $5.25 million ...

What I could quickly find from Google search:

Ferentz:
Jan 14, 2022 — It includes a $500,000 base, $5.5 million in supplemental compensation and a $1 million longevity bonus. The contract expires on Jan. 31, 2030.

Fleck:
Nov 3, 2021 — The new contract raises Fleck's annual salary from $4.65 million to $5.1 million. His buyout if he leaves Minnesota is $10 million before Dec.

Chryst:
Oct 3, 2022 — UW officials last October gave Chryst a new contract which included a raise of about $900,000 and a total compensation package of $5.25 million ...
I think Ferentz is guaranteed way more though. Like a full contract buyout. Is what I was referencing. He has the contract everyone wants

So marginally more 15%ish but I think the bigger deal is the no buyout at all other than the full deal

I would welcome Luke Fickell to Wisconsin. I think it would be a mistake for them to pass up Leonard. Although I’m guessing Leonard would stay, for one season.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Let's say Bucky is not able to land Fickell. In that case, do they go back to Leonhard and say "well, we couldn't get the guy we really wanted, so do you want the job?"

Because - when WI goes after Fickell, they are sending a message that they want someone "better" than Leonhard.

and how do the fans and boosters handle this? Leonhard has a lot of support among the die-hards. this could lead to some hurt feelings.

throw some popcorn in the microwave and settle down to watch the fun.

Top Bottom