Wisconsin targeting Luke Fickell

I think Ferentz is guaranteed way more though. Like a full contract buyout. Is what I was referencing. He has the contract everyone wants

So marginally more 15%ish but I think the bigger deal is the no buyout at all other than the full deal
Agree that is huge.

Basically Iowa told him "YOU decide when you're done, we're along for the ride".

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Let's say Bucky is not able to land Fickell. In that case, do they go back to Leonhard and say "well, we couldn't get the guy we really wanted, so do you want the job?"

Because - when WI goes after Fickell, they are sending a message that they want someone "better" than Leonhard.

and how do the fans and boosters handle this? Leonhard has a lot of support among the die-hards. this could lead to some hurt feelings.

throw some popcorn in the microwave and settle down to watch the fun.
Leonhard knows that losing to Minnesota at home is going to piss the fanbase off.

They ran off Chryst to keep Leonhard.

I wonder if Fickell's agent isn't trying to play a game here. Make Ohio State think that he really is interested in coming to Wisc, as a way to provoke them into firing Day and hiring Fickell?

Leonhard knows that losing to Minnesota at home is going to piss the fanbase off.

They ran off Chryst to keep Leonhard.

I wonder if Fickell's agent isn't trying to play a game here. Make Ohio State think that he really is interested in coming to Wisc, as a way to provoke them into firing Day and hiring Fickell?
Jim Leonhard already informed he's not getting the job, deal is done absent the contract signing.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There&#39;s a few steps remaining for this deal to come together, per sources. It&#39;s expected to be finalized within the next 24 hours. All candidates, including interim coach Jim Leonhard, have been told they&#39;re not getting the job. <a href="https://t.co/FGSR7ibVgZ">https://t.co/FGSR7ibVgZ</a></p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="">November 27, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh well, I was hoping they would stay with Leonard but no guarantees Fickell is successful there.

Any Big Ten team is going to be able to hire a coach who has had success somewhere. The West has been filled with coaches who have had undefeated seasons, won big at lower levels, took NFL teams to the Super Bowl, etc.

It's our Axe, Luke. Come try and take it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There&#39;s a few steps remaining for this deal to come together, per sources. It&#39;s expected to be finalized within the next 24 hours. All candidates, including interim coach Jim Leonhard, have been told they&#39;re not getting the job. <a href="https://t.co/FGSR7ibVgZ">https://t.co/FGSR7ibVgZ</a></p>&mdash; Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) <a href="">November 27, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Damn that sucks. I stand corrected.

Would this mean a big change in style of play?

Whoa. Have to say I did NOT see this coming. Blowing up the Alvarez line of succession for a guy that could conceivably bolt for Ohio State down the road or otherwise fail in the Big Ten seems risky at best. Not to mention their DC Leonhard feeling spurned which could lead to bigger problems on that side of the ball. He does have a deeper track record than Leonhard. Risky move by McIntosh…

I’m flabbergasted.

Whoa. Have to say I did NOT see this coming. Blowing up the Alvarez line of succession for a guy that could conceivably bolt for Ohio State down the road or otherwise fail in the Big Ten seems risky at best. Not to mention their DC Leonhard feeling spurned which could lead to bigger problems on that side of the ball. He does have a deeper track record than Leonhard. Risky move by McIntosh…

I’m flabbergasted.
I bet you Leonhard stays on as DC.

They'll invoke undying loyalty to Wisconsin, etc. He'll say he wants to stay close to home, family, etc.

Would this mean a big change in style of play?
I hope so.
They’re almost all gun. (But he runs the defense)
They run a different scheme up front on defense 4-2-5

Will be interesting

I bet you Leonhard stays on as DC.

They'll invoke undying loyalty to Wisconsin, etc. He'll say he wants to stay close to home, family, etc.

Have to think Leonhard will be gone as HC at another program or as NFL coordinator.

This is shocking news. Bold move by McIntosh.

Last edited:

No way. Fickell is bringing all of his own people. And probably a lot of Cincy transfers.
It’s going to be a total reset in Madison.
Often one of the coaches will stay on to take over the leaving program.

You could be right, we'll see. But say if the DC stays on to become the next Cincy head coach.

Make it easier for us to recruit OL or no?
I’m not sure. Gopher fans like to think spread means not physical but they’re cinci pretty physical.

Would be awesome if they went all gun

It‘s an interesting story whether they land him or not, because their AD is obviously shopping around hard, despite what they’ve been telling everybody about how “it’s Jim Leonard‘s job if he wants it.”

Huge bluff on the AD’s part; the Wisky media got played.
Yeah, some of the Wisconsin people who post here seemed to think it was a done deal and Leonhard would be the guy. The fact that they are shopping around is interesting and now if they go back to Leonhard eventually it kind of puts him in an awkward spot that they clearly wanted someone else but couldn't get them.

This is a very good hire for the Skunks. Very very good. Fickell is a good coach and great recruiter.

No way to spin this positvely.

I’m guessing Chryst was fired knowing that fickle was on board with moving to uw. It makes sense now. Maybe, slight favor to Leonard that uw gave him HC role for resume. Win win for all involved.

Top Bottom