Wisconsin made a bold move, do we have the nerve to do the same?

Simple question. Do you think Iowa or Wisconsin would tolerate the same results. Sorry the question rankles you so much that you resort to name calling.

You act as if answering this question provides a definitive solution to the question of whether or not we should get a different coach. It doesn't so stop asking it. I have alternative solutions. If anyone wants to live in an Iowa or Wisconsin environment, let them move to one of those places. If anyone would prefer to be an Iowa or Wisconsin football fan, then simply turn the television to one of their games on Saturday instead of the Gopher game.

Minnesota is not at the level of Wisconsin or Iowa in football. Minnesota is more like Indiana in football. Every 10 years we get a team that makes us excited. After that season we sink back down. It's no different now than it was with Glen Mason. We simply don't have the ingredients to make that next jump. No NIL money to compete with the top dogs and no natural incentives to bring in the 4 and 5 star players.

Fleck has had one great year with maybe three or four of his players making a difference the rest he inherited. He had a good year last year otherwise he’s been mediocre at best and the games are many times like watching paint dry even when we win.
So what you are saying all of the losses in Flecks first 3 years don’t count against him? Those are on Kill/Clayes because only 3 or 4 of the players were Flecks.

Minnesota is not at the level of Wisconsin or Iowa in football. Minnesota is more like Indiana in football. Every 10 years we get a team that makes us excited. After that season we sink back down. It's no different now than it was with Glen Mason. We simply don't have the ingredients to make that next jump. No NIL money to compete with the top dogs and no natural incentives to bring in the 4 and 5 star players.

Minnesota clearly is better than Indiana. I started watching Gopher football seriously in the 2013 season. Since then, Indiana has had two winning seasons and one of those was a 6-2 record in the short pandemic year. They have been to four bowls in that time span and lost all of them. Minnesota has had 7 winning completed seasons during that time span and will make it 8 this year. Minnesota will go to its 8th bowl this season and has won 5 of the 7 completed ones during that period. Maybe we don't have a lot of teams in the Big Ten that would aspire to our level of success but Indiana likely is one of them. (Parenthetically we would be one of the Big Ten teams that would aspire to their level of basketball success).

Obviously we are not at Iowa's level (0-8 in the last 8 attempts speaks for itself) but Iowa doesn't have a lot of 4 star players and I don't think they have a single 5 star one who is playing right now. We have been below Wisconsin during my time as a fan but whether we are at Wisconsin's level this season or the years in the immediate future remains to be seen.

So what you are saying all of the losses in Flecks first 3 years don’t count against him? Those are on Kill/Clayes because only 3 or 4 of the players were Flecks.

Good job! People who make that argument rarely think it through to the symmetry.

I understand the frustration, but we aren't firing Fleck. That's just a nonsense conversation.

Problem is, next season looks even worse, so after that season I could see it, unless we overachieve.
Another thing is: Chryst was Bert's guy. Not sure if he was really ever Barry's guy?

I don't know the politics or anything over there, but tough for me to believe Barry doesn't have his fingers in every pot and still an important opinion on every major decision.

My point is -- Fleck is 1000% Coyle's guy. Coyle thinks he's some special finder of diamonds on the beach, when it comes to coaches. Look no further than BJ for proof of that.

Coyle will go down with the ship, to the bitter end.

100% this. Since Fleck has taken over, we've enjoyed the most sustained success in twenty years. And dopes are mad? Goldfish memory.

Mods should make a bold move and suspend this moron. Let him come back after he's thought about how stupid he's been.
Exactly. Not an elite coach job yesterday on a few plays but also players made crucial errors at the worst possible times. It’s just an emotional response to a loss. After the first 4 games everyone was on kc and pj’s jock and they were the best ever and this was different this year. Fact is the big ten is good and everyone is competitive.

100% this. Since Fleck has taken over, we've enjoyed the most sustained success in twenty years. And dopes are mad?
Fleck is more successful than Mason?

I'm not sure if I would agree with that -- it's almost impossible to compare the era's.

Fleck has gotten to play in the considerably weaker West.

But I would say this:

(no point looking earlier than Mason, it's so different now)
Mason - is what it was, couldn't get over the hump, but pretty damn good until the very end
Brew - just awful hire, with the new stadium, killed any momentum we would've had
Kill - got things back to respectable, got the Athlete's Village done

Fleck - the right guy to raise the bar, and he has done that. No question. Fans are disappointing at the prospect of going 8-4 with the Axe! --- BECAUSE it easily could have been 10-2 with the Pig and Axe!

The point is: OK Fleck did raise the bar. Good, agree. Is he still the right guy to take us over that bar?????? I don't know.

Agree, and we are not getting anyone better here. Bo Pelini is a good example that many bring up. How about Texas A&M fans? They go all in on big name Jimbo Fischer. Now there are folks asking if it’s feasible to find $84 million to buy him out. Florida fires Dan Mullen who looked like a can’t miss option after his stint with Mississippi State. Many Gator fans are pissed off they lost to Vanderbilt today and wonder if they should have stayed with Mullen. How about the Miami Hurricane coaching carousel?
exactly. Who in the world do we think we are going to get who is better?

Fleck is more successful than Mason?

I'm not sure if I would agree with that -- it's almost impossible to compare the era's.

But I would say this:

(no point looking earlier than Mason, it's so different now)
Mason - is what it was, couldn't get over the hump, but pretty damn good until the very end
Brew - just awful hire, with the new stadium, killed any momentum we would've had
Kill - got things back to respectable, got the Athlete's Village done

Fleck - the right guy to raise the bar, and he has done that. No question. Fans are disappointing at the prospect of going 8-4 with the Axe! --- BECAUSE it easily could have been 10-2 with the Pig and Axe!

The point is: OK Fleck did raise the bar. Good, agree. Is he still the right guy to take us over that bar?????? I don't know.
I just don’t think anyone will get the program over that bar. If the Gophers are a consistent 8 win team, I think that is a lot better than the more typical alternative.

Unless someone is put there ready to put up NFL level NIL money to start bringing in some 5 stars….and who would that be?

I just don’t think anyone will get the program over that bar. If the Gophers are a consistent 8 win team, I think that is a lot better than the more typical alternative.

Unless someone is put there ready to put up NFL level NIL money to start bringing in some 5 stars….and who would that be?
Then why can Wisconsin do it??

I'm not saying win the conference and go to the CFP.

Why was Wisconsin able to have their run of success?? Anything they can do, Minnesota can do!!!

Well, we didn't have a "West" in Mason's time so it's kind of hard to compare the two. Mason did have the advantage of one less conference game (8 instead of 9) so that had to help the overall record a bit.

Well, we didn't have a "West" in Mason's time so it's kind of hard to compare the two. Mason did have the advantage of one less conference game (8 instead of 9) so that had to help the overall record a bit.
Literally the line above that that you omitted says almost impossible to compare the era's.

That was his first miss inside 35 yards all year. Go to church today and pray for some perspective.

It’s a game and it’s entertainment. If it effects you more than that, maybe you need to reprioritize your life?
I was pretty hard on him on that miss, as it was a huge back breaker and game changer. That said, I watched the replay from the straight on angle and man, the wind really took that one sideways. And of course the wind didn’t affect Iowa’s final kick quite the same…that one snuck in (of course it did). Sometimes you have to chalk this stuff up to luck. Iowa football has it. MN SPORTS does not. Then again, Iowa sucks balls outside of Iowa football. Unless, of course, you enjoy the constant smell of pig shit. Can we just give them this? They need this.

Here's what I'm worried about:

TCU and Gary Patterson. (You all remember Kill's best man, right??)

2014 they have an incredible year 11-1, finish ranked #5 in the (first ever) final CFP rankings. Win a NY6 bowl to ultimately finish 12-1. Had a couple very good years after that, as well.

But Patterson was fired after last year after 8 games.

Q8yHRXW.png

They hire a new coach this year -- BOOM -- sitting at 11-0.

Point is simply: they waited wayyyyy too long, excrutiatingly too long, to fire Patterson.

Is that how it's going to end up with Fleck???

I was pretty hard on him on that miss, as it was a huge back breaker and game changer. That said, I watched the replay from the straight on angle and man, the wind really took that one sideways. And of course the wind didn’t affect Iowa’s final kick quite the same…that one snuck in (of course it did). Sometimes you have to chalk this stuff up to luck. Iowa football has it. MN SPORTS does not. Then again, Iowa sucks balls outside of Iowa football. Unless, of course, you enjoy the constant smell of pig shit. Can we just give them this? They need this.
1000000% that missed kick was being s__t on by the football gods. It was going in. Curves out last second.

We don't know how the game is played after that if it's made, but would've been nice to have.

Then why can Wisconsin do it??

I'm not saying win the conference and go to the CFP.

Why was Wisconsin able to have their run of success?? Anything they can do, Minnesota can do!!!
because they have evolved into a tradition. We could. Fleck could be that guy. We could waste a few more decades taking chances on trying to find a miracle….someone in mind? The one opportunity to take things higher, IMO, would be to being in a stud alum who would stick around no matter what. Dungy passed on this. And Nebraska got Frosted, so this doesn’t always work either.

I really think Fleck needs to learn from his mistakes in game plans for big games….a win over Purdue and over Iowa instead of losses and the whole outlook here is different.

Here's what I'm worried about:

TCU and Gary Patterson. (You all remember Kill's best man, right??)

2014 they have an incredible year 11-1, finish ranked #5 in the (first ever) final CFP rankings. Win a NY6 bowl to ultimately finish 12-1. Had a couple very good years after that, as well.

But Patterson was fired after last year after 8 games.

Q8yHRXW.png

They hire a new coach this year -- BOOM -- sitting at 11-0.

Point is simply: they waited wayyyyy too long, excrutiatingly too long, to fire Patterson.

Is that how it's going to end up with Fleck???

What are you even saying?
Is it going to end with him getting fired?
Maybe

Should we fire him now to avoid firing him later?
Do you think we are in a better spot next year with a new coach? I don’t.

What are you even saying?
Is it going to end with him getting fired?
Maybe

Should we fire him now to avoid firing him later?
Do you think we are in a better spot next year with a new coach? I don’t.
I'm saying:

- this year will end up on a range from 7-6 not terrible, to 9-4 still a pretty damn nice year
- next year is a brutal schedule, no Mo, who knows what we have to work with, could see a ceiling of 7-6 with low bowl win to being not bowl eligible. That to me is like TCU's 2018 year.

Do we drag it out? Or do we make the right call after next year?

good, funny post and when this happens it will only be that much sweeter -

I'm saying:

- this year will end up on a range from 7-6 not terrible, to 9-4 still a pretty damn nice year
- next year is a brutal schedule, no Mo, who knows what we have to work with, could see a ceiling of 7-6 with low bowl win to being not bowl eligible. That to me is like TCU's 2018 year.

Do we drag it out? Or do we make the right call after next year?
You make the call when you know.
Yeah if you’re terrible next year and you know you make the call. What’s the point in talking about that now?

What if we go 6-6 for 23 years in a row? What should we do then.
What if we go 9-3 next year but 3-9 the year after that? What then?
What if we go 7-6 then 8-5? What then?

I’m thankful the AD is in charge and not some of the chicken littles in this board

Top Bottom