Wisconsin expected to hire Minnesota co-DC, cornerbacks coach Paul Haynes

Joe Rossi is the most important piece of the defensive coaching staff.

It is something to see dude make a lateral move to our biggest rival though....less than a year after being promoted to co-DC. Now we'll have to wait and see if the pricks try to poach players too.

Joe Rossi is the most important piece of the defensive coaching staff.

It is something to see dude make a lateral move to our biggest rival though....less than a year after being promoted to co-DC. Now we'll have to wait and see if the pricks try to poach players too.

If Wisconsin is poaching coaches (and maybe players) from the Golden Gophers football team, I think we can say the Great Debate over whether Minnesota has finally caught up to Wisconsin as a football program can be put to rest.

They wish they were us.

The Gophers defense is really good. PJ has a way of getting more from his players. Of course others would want to poach excellence.

Now's let's add to that with a stronger passing game this next season too.

Bolstered WR, check. 4-star prospect QB in the driver's seat, check.

If Wisconsin is poaching coaches (and maybe players) from the Golden Gophers football team, I think we can say the Great Debate over whether Minnesota has finally caught up to Wisconsin as a football program can be put to rest.

They wish they were us.
This may be the dumbest comment I have ever read in a fan forum. Now, I don’t peruse the boards a lot, but…wowza!

Frustrating to see coaches make lateral moves but both have history with the new coaches at Wisconsin and Purdue so it makes sense from that standpoint.

Assistant coach turnover is very common in college football. Kill had one of the very rare staffs where nobody ever left.

I think this is the history here:

2017 Mo Linguist
2018 Jahmil Addae
2019 Rod Chance
2020, 21, 22 Paul Haynes

Will be fifth cb coach in 7 years?

Haynes it seemed was a good recruiter, coach, presence.

This may be the dumbest comment I have ever read in a fan forum. Now, I don’t peruse the boards a lot, but…wowza!

Oh, and by the way...

Come on over (when you get a chance) and visit the Axe. We keep it in a very special place in our trophy case.

What appears to be somewhat lateral moves where the $$ are unlikely to be the motivation are interesting.
The coaches may have just grown weary of rowing the boat.

What appears to be somewhat lateral moves where the $$ are unlikely to be the motivation are interesting.
The coaches may have just grown weary of rowing the boat.
Possible... I know we all grow weary of your Wisconsin love....and yet you keep on lurking here for whatever reason.

Haley knew with Rossi here that he would never be "The Guy" for the defense.

Did they hire a D-Coordinator yet? Would be a promotion if that's what the offer is.
Wonder if Leonhardt is reconsidered, now that the Packers are doing well and probably won't be that DC opening for him to take as was assumed?

I get career advancement and having no loyalty but going to the key rival is just wrong.
I get it.

But this guy has been an FBS coach since 1994 ... and only just got to the Gophers in 2020.

Was at Ohio State 2005-2011, all with Fickell. So ....

I like Haynes a lot, he’s a good coach and has HC experience, and good track record with DBs. But I heard a lot of lamenting when Mo Linguist left the same position, so I trust they’ll find another good db coach.
Yep.

Rod Chance after Linguist and before Haynes, and now at Oregon. Probably is the one who stole Bucky over there and another high profile recruit (guy from Nebraska? can't remember)

First Fickells staff tried to poach one of our recruits via texts, now this. Fickell demonstrated what a stiff he is with lame halftime rouser during MN/WI game. Not sure what the attraction to go work for this guy would be as PJ has more charisma in his pinky finger. This rivalry is about to get even more intense, can’t wait for next year
Is the charisma of the head coach a top factor in why a recruit chooses a football program?

I would hope not ...

Give me a guy who runs a solid, fair, clean program and makes great in-game decisions.

I get career advancement and having no loyalty but going to the key rival is just wrong.
I thought the same thing but then found out that Haynes and Fickell went to High School together, or the same high school - I don't know the details/timing, and coached together at Ohio State.

They hired Mike Tressel as their DC yesterday. That’s why Haynes going to WI is so odd.
Perhaps it's as simple as PJ says, "he's not for everyone." Even if you like the results he's brought, how many of you could actually work for/with him 24/7/365? I know I couldn't.

Perhaps it's as simple as PJ says, "he's not for everyone." Even if you like the results he's brought, how many of you could actually work for/with him 24/7/365? I know I couldn't.
“PJ, bro, it’s 6am… I know I just… let me have my coffee. I’m not ready for you yet.”

When I was in college I’m not sure I could handle 5 minutes of PJ. Now, I like his rah rah style/ think I understand it a bit better than I would have then.

Rossi will have his work cut out for him in the west next year. I’m sure both coaches we are losing know the schemes and concepts we run very well so it will be tough to be able to fool them with anything.

Rossi will have his work cut out for him in the west next year. I’m sure both coaches we are losing know the schemes and concepts we run very well so it will be tough to be able to fool them with anything.
Every coach in the West knows our schemes. We don't do anything crazy/special on defense. Just solid base formations most of the time.

Knowledge of our existing personnel, for trying to find and exploit good matchups/mismatches, are the valuable bits.

Top Bottom