Wisconsin expected to hire Minnesota co-DC, cornerbacks coach Paul Haynes

Walley was the class prior....no? At one point....we did have both Dickerson and Steven Ortiz committed. Two highly rated players.....neither of which ended up doing anything (yet).
Walley and Ortiz were both part of the 2021 class. Dickerson was the highest rated (.94 or something like that), Ortiz was second (.90) and Walley was a distant 3rd in the .86 range.....

Dickerson has barely played in his first 2 years at Oregon
Ortiz is off to try his hand at UMASS
Walley is in his second season of locking down one side of the field for the Gophers

He was making as much as NFL DCs at Wisc, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up.
He was offered the Packers DC job last year, but they seem to be pretty good at the spot now. He's been back in WI for 7 years. Through some web surfing, he is married to a UW grad and has 3 sons. Wife is native of Georgia.

Someone else....if true
You want to be a little less vague perhaps? Or are you worried about risking your source? Bigger fish than a position coach is a small list...Rossi, Kirk, and PJ himself...

Edit: I guess you could maybe put Simon in there as well, but I'm not sure who else I would put as bigger fish given that Burns has already left.

You want to be a little less vague perhaps? Or are you worried about risking your source? Bigger fish than a position coach is a small list...Rossi, Kirk, and PJ himself...

Edit: I guess you could maybe put Simon in there as well, but I'm not sure who else I would put as bigger fish given that Burns has already left.
Yes.....not PJ, thankfully i love me PJ. It will give the board plenty to talk about especially certain groups :sneaky:

I think we may have bigger fish that will be out the door soon.....
I mean damn! Really?!?! You’re killing me Smalls.

Please, please, please don’t be Rossi. I mean, I do expect him to get a head job one day and leave, but I sure don’t want him leaving right now.

If it is KC, oh well. I think PJ actually needs an OC with a little more creativity and imagination, perhaps with some NFL experience a la Monken at Georgia. We need to open up the offense to compete at an elite level.

So, I’ll say it again, please don’t be Rossi!!

I mean damn! Really?!?! You’re killing me Smalls.

Please, please, please don’t be Rossi. I mean, I do expect him to get a head job one day and leave, but I sure don’t want him leaving right now.

If it is KC, oh well. I think PJ actually needs an OC with a little more creativity and imagination, perhaps with some NFL experience a la Monken at Georgia. We need to open up the offense to compete at an elite level.

So, I’ll say it again, please don’t be Rossi!!
Not Rossi, agree that would be bad. I'm really curious what went down. Situation sounds weird. Take it for what is worth, I would think if what happened happened we would hear soon.

Maybe Simon to Kent State as OC? Did Kenny announce the retention of the OC at Kent State? Limegrover was name CO-OC so I would think it's not Simon.

Maybe Simon to Kent State as OC? Did Kenny announce the retention of the OC at Kent State? Limegrover was name CO-OC so I would think it's not Simon.
Now I don't know if this is true cause it would be weird buuuut this is one of the guys I heard about today

Rossi is on borrowed time likely...unless we bring in some more $$$
Agree but I sense he wants to be here to be part of something big to happen. His resume just keeps getting better.

Now I don't know if this is true cause it would be weird buuuut this is one of the guys I heard about today
Hmmm, what makes you think this poster is credible? If that's the case, I'm good with Simon taking over.

Hmmm, what makes you think this poster is credible? If that's the case, I'm good with Simon taking over.
Yeah I'm not saying that tweet is credible. The name just matches with who I heard about today.

I wouldn't be mad if Simon did take over either irregardless of the he hasn't produced any WR crowd

Kirk wants to be on the East coast, it's one of the reasons he left for Penn State. It would kinda strike me as odd to leave after a single year, but maybe that was part of the discussion when he came back "If the right job opens up on the east coast again, I'm gonna take it, are you sure you still want me back".

Still, would be quite odd...

Yeah I'm not saying that tweet is credible. The name just matches with who I heard about today.

I wouldn't be mad if Simon did take over either irregardless of the he hasn't produced any WR crowd

I assume this is what you were hinting about earlier.

Is there anything more that you can share now that the story has broken?

you clearly have some credible sources if you knew about this before it was made public.

I assume this is what you were hinting about earlier.

Is there anything more that you can share now that the story has broken?

you clearly have some credible sources if you knew about this before it was made public.
It doesn't sound like they were too happy with this move.

The other odd thing was it sounded like there could be additional coaches to Kirk leaving. Don't see Rossi or Simon going anywhere so not sure who that could be. Could be nothing but we'll see.

The other odd thing was it sounded like there could be additional coaches to Kirk leaving. Don't see Rossi or Simon going anywhere so not sure who that could be. Could be nothing but we'll see.
I would actually find it a little unusual if at least one lower level position coach or analyst didn’t go with Burns.

It would be pretty incredible if KC were to leave for a second time.....again to another Big Ten school.

In PJ's head right now: Shit. I'll be spending the rest of January interviewing.

In my experience, employees jumping ship has never been a total surprise. Ever. There are always signs. Plus, in college football, assistant coaches turn every year. I'm guessing PJ already has thoughts on all the replacements. The next month will be interesting.

If we have Fleck, Rossi, and Simon rowing, we’ll find good guys, like Winston, to fill in the rest.

I mean, if Rob Wenger wanted to take an offer elsewhere … but guessing not.

I guess Callahan and Harbaugh would be the other "hot" names on staff? I really hope KC is the last to leave though. Regardless of reasons for each departure, it's just not a good look.

As was said in another thread: we lost OC and three assistants after 2021 season, as well. (Granted, we fired Sanford)

We'll be fine, bad look or not.

I guess Callahan and Harbaugh would be the other "hot" names on staff? I really hope KC is the last to leave though. Regardless of reasons for each departure, it's just not a good look.
KC is the coaching equivalent of the inventory accounting protocol LIFO.

Last edited:

one concern - this is happening at a time when there is a current open window in the transfer portal.

might make it harder to get portal players to commit if the Gophers can't tell them who their position coach would be.

the remaining coaches are going to have to be very persuasive.

one concern - this is happening at a time when there is a current open window in the transfer portal.

might make it harder to get portal players to commit if the Gophers can't tell them who their position coach would be.

the remaining coaches are going to have to be very persuasive.
Coaches clinic is this weekend. Open spots will be filled in the next couple of days. Guarantee we aren't the only team dealing with a lot of coaching turnover right now, always gets nuts this time of year with assistant coaches moving around.

Top Bottom