Wisconsin expected to hire Minnesota co-DC, cornerbacks coach Paul Haynes

Seriously, the Gophers ought to go after Jim Leonhard. He is a great dline coach. And, who knows, he may be motivated to come to Minnesota - wisconsin did not do him any favors.

Rossi will have his work cut out for him in the west next year. I’m sure both coaches we are losing know the schemes and concepts we run very well so it will be tough to be able to fool them with anything.
Rossi has been in the conference for multiple years so there is no mystery in what he likes to run on defense at this point as teams have years of film to look at.

Seriously, the Gophers ought to go after Jim Leonhard. He is a great dline coach. And, who knows, he may be motivated to come to Minnesota - wisconsin did not do him any favors.
Going to go out on a limb and say that Leonhard probably has his sights set on something bigger than a D-Line job in college.

The fact that he hasn't gone anywhere yet makes me think he will probably end up in the NFL but has to wait till after their season ends before the coaching carousel gets going at that level.

Going to go out on a limb and say that Leonhard probably has his sights set on something bigger than a D-Line job in college.

The fact that he hasn't gone anywhere yet makes me think he will probably end up in the NFL but has to wait till after their season ends before the coaching carousel gets going at that level.
I would like to see Leonhard on the Vikes staff next season. Seems like a perfect fit.

Perhaps it's as simple as PJ says, "he's not for everyone." Even if you like the results he's brought, how many of you could actually work for/with him 24/7/365? I know I couldn't.
Everyone has bosses they don't like working for. Some personalities don't mesh. But who knows if that's the reason here. Didn't Haynes have an old connection to the new Wisky guy?

Just because you don't like PJ doesn't mean other people wouldn't like to work for him.

I would like to see Leonhard on the Vikes staff next season. Seems like a perfect fit.
I would like to see any improvement on the Vikes defense. Anything, please.

Everyone has bosses they don't like working for. Some personalities don't mesh. But who knows if that's the reason here. Didn't Haynes have an old connection to the new Wisky guy?

Just because you don't like PJ doesn't mean other people wouldn't like to work for him.
Hence the word, "perhaps."

If KOC wants to stick with the 3-4, trade/release Hunter (too expensive for a scheme he is not built for), and rebuild, then yeah it could make a lot of sense!

If KOC wants to stick with the 3-4, trade/release Hunter (too expensive for a scheme he is not built for), and rebuild, then yeah it could make a lot of sense!
They play a ton a mix 3/4 and 4/3 so it will be interesting to see if he settles on a scheme.

They play a ton a mix 3/4 and 4/3 so it will be interesting to see if he settles on a scheme.
I think they go from a 3-4 to a 2-4-5, is what they really do.

You see us often in defacto a 40 front, but it's only 2 technically DL, and then Hunter/Z/Wonnum who are now technically OLB's.

Lot of hand waiving to a degree, no doubt.

All according to plan…
mr-burns-vingan%C3%A7a.gif

My issue isn't an assistant coach leaving (though going to a chief rival sucks). It happens all the time. My issue is how easy the current portal situation heightens the potential for tampering and scooping players recruited by him.

Plus he's Wisconsin through and through. I don't think he'd ever come to MN regardless of the opportunity.

Plus he's Wisconsin through and through. I don't think he'd ever come to MN regardless of the opportunity.
Probably true of the Gophers although I am not 100% sold that he wouldn't come here for the right opportunity. Bielema has an Iowa tattoo on his leg yet has managed to put that aside to coach at both Wisconsin and Illinois.

I don't think the same would apply to the Vikings in Leonhard's case.

My issue isn't an assistant coach leaving (though going to a chief rival sucks). It happens all the time. My issue is how easy the current portal situation heightens the potential for tampering and scooping players recruited by him.
Yep.

We lost Bucky and Avante Dickerson to Oregon because Rod Chance went there.

I forgot about Dickerson. For being such a highly ranked recruit, I see he's barely seen the field in two seasons there.
These days, that tends to mean a transfer out! Oregon must've upped their NIL offer ;)

I forgot about Dickerson. For being such a highly ranked recruit, I see he's barely seen the field in two seasons there.
Did we have him and Walley committed at the same time, or was Walley a fill in after Dickerson split?

He was making as much as NFL DCs at Wisc, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Rossi will have his work cut out for him in the west next year. I’m sure both coaches we are losing know the schemes and concepts we run very well so it will be tough to be able to fool them with anything.
Brick's recruiting left alot to be desired IMO. Wilt was much better. Fleck has a lot of former assistants who became co coordinators at other stops. He's shown ability to load and reload with his staff. Haynes will be missed but so was MO and coach Chance, they'll be others.

If Wisconsin is poaching coaches (and maybe players) from the Golden Gophers football team, I think we can say the Great Debate over whether Minnesota has finally caught up to Wisconsin as a football program can be put to rest.

They wish they were us.
That's cetainly one way of looking at it...

Did we have him and Walley committed at the same time, or was Walley a fill in after Dickerson split?
We had both at the same time. Dickerson has the flashy rating and a spot on the bench while Walley has been starting for 2 years.

Walley was the class prior....no? At one point....we did have both Dickerson and Steven Ortiz committed. Two highly rated players.....neither of which ended up doing anything (yet).

Top Bottom