Winning brings better arguments

RodentRampage

Reaction score
I remember in 2007 we were arguing about which was worse, the 2007 team or the 1983 team. This year, we argue about which was better, the 2019 team of the 2003 team. That kind of argument is a lot more fun.

This season seemed more fun. Probably because the losses didn't occur until the last three games.

This year's team went 1 for 3 vs ranked teams. 2003 went 0 for 3.
The win vs PSU at home and the national credibility it brought including Game Day was unmatched.
2003 was great in that they beat an unranked Wiscy for the axe.
Both seasons ended in disappointing fashion in bad losses vs. a rival.
The 2003 team was followed by a disappointing 5 loss season in 2004. I hope that doesn't happen.

This season seemed more fun. Probably because the losses didn't occur until the last three games.

The win vs PSU at home and the national credibility it brought including Game Day was unmatched.
The 2003 team was followed by a disappointing 5 loss season in 2004. I hope that doesn't happen.

At the time, we didn't know just how big the 2003 Michigan game really was. Had the Gophers beaten Michigan, the Gophers would have tied for the conference title and gone to the Rose Bowl, but we only knew that in retrospect.

I'm going to continue to keep score on the Big Ten Wins vs the Big Ten losses. Coach Fleck is at 12 Big Ten wins and 15 Big Ten losses in his 3 seasons for a .444 Big Ten winning percentage. I will most certainly be anxious to see if he can climb into the .500 Big Ten winning percentage level when the 9 Big Ten games he will coach in the 2020 Big Ten season will be combined with his first three season results to provide a larger sample size of Big Ten wins vs losses. Good luck and add to those Big Ten wins next year! You had a great 2019 season Coach. And so did your players!

I only will focus on Coach Fleck and the 2020 Big Ten season. I know how all the previous coaches have done and what their Big Ten winning percentages stack up. Coach Fleck is the one who still has the chance to improve or decline as the U of M head football coach in 2020 at the present time. The numbers at the end of next season will help present a better picture of just where Coach Fleck will stand in the grand scheme of Golden Gopher Big Ten Football Coaches.

It is going to be very interesting!

Last edited:

The other great thing this season did was really cut down the amount of old staff vs. new staff bickering on this board. There are still a couple of holdouts that take every opportunity to rip on Fleck but there are far fewer of those people posting these days.

Has been fun to see the talk shift to the actual team itself as opposed to the back and forth BS about coaches.

The other great thing this season did was really cut down the amount of old staff vs. new staff bickering on this board. There are still a couple of holdouts that take every opportunity to rip on Fleck but there are far fewer of those people posting these days.

Has been fun to see the talk shift to the actual team itself as opposed to the back and forth BS about coaches.
Progress.

I'm going to continue to keep score on the Big Ten Wins vs the Big Ten losses. Coach Fleck is at 12 Big Ten wins and 15 Big Ten losses in his 3 seasons for a .444 Big Ten winning percentage. I will most certainly be anxious to see if he can climb into the .500 Big Ten winning percentage level when the 9 Big Ten games he will coach in the 2020 Big Ten season will be combined with his first three season results to provide a larger sample size of Big Ten wins vs losses. Good luck and add to those Big Ten wins next year! You had a great 2019 season Coach. And so did your players!

I only will focus on Coach Fleck and the 2020 Big Ten season. I know how all the previous coaches have done and what their Big Ten winning percentages stack up. Coach Fleck is the one who still has the chance to improve or decline as the U of M head football coach in 2020 at the present time. The numbers at the end of next season will help present a better picture of just where Coach Fleck will stand in the grand scheme of Golden Gopher Big Ten Football Coaches.

It is going to be very interesting!

Wren,
We all know how difficult it is to post a winning record in the BT. A lot of fans want the Gophers to get to the level of Wisky or the Hogeyes. Alvarez started slow going 5-19 then tied for the Big and won the Rose Bowl in year 4. His overall BT record was barely over .500 at 65-60-3.

Kirk went 7-17 and then 8-0 and the Orange Bowl in year 4. His BIG record is better at 97-75. Thus far Fleck is doing much better than Mase and Kill who managed to win about 40% of their BT games.

Both Alvarez and Kirk had up and down BT seasons after they became established. And JoePa did the same at PSU when he went 26-30 during a seven year stretch and at one time was 16-24. Even Fitz bit the dust this season after going 26-9 the previous four BT seasons.

No question this year was a great season and gives the fans some hope for the future. Elevating the Gophers to a top level BT squad is no easy task. And the schedule gets more demanding the next couple of seasons which will make it more difficult for Fleck. Plus we will find out if his recruits are truly an upgrade from the norm.

We had a chance in a lifetime for the Gophers to go 12-0 but it didn't happend. Who knows if we will see that again? Time is running short Wren for us old duffers.

The Wren is the newest version of past versions on the Hole so time is running out for him too.

As we all know, they are not gone, they only lurk and wait their chance to jump back into "fire Fleck" mode at the drop of a hat. One of the main reasons I never slip into believing there are any such things as a quality Gopher loss. The Iowa and Badger trolls are legion in this state and they are legitimately and rationally afraid of Fleck and they will never be happy until they get him out of here. Just my view.

Last edited:

Hey man remember when PJ totally insulted Jerry Kill!!?!?!?

/s

The Wren is the newest version of past versions on the Hole so time is running out for him too.

How many years do you think you have left? How many do you actually have left? That is, how many hours do you actually have left compared to any other human?

To be fair, there are still a lot of people who randomly bring up Claeys, Kill, sometimes Brewster or Mason, out of nowhere as total non sequiturs to rip on. It's bizarre. Because, you know, one can't be supportive of the current staff without hating previous staffs and giving zero credit for any of their accomplishments.

I am happy we got rid of Mason.

But yes, most fun season I’ve had watching games. Man, I really wish he would have had more aggressive game plans defensively against Iowa and offensively against Wisconsin. Just win one of those....

I am happy we got rid of Mason.

qbXfLGo.gif

I think it was a mistake to fire Cal Stoll and hire Joe Salem. But that's done.

How many years do you think you have left? How many do you actually have left? That is, how many hours do you actually have left compared to any other human?
?????

Don't think for a moment that those pesky knife wielding polar bears will not hesitate to draw their knifes when a perceived weakness in this current version Gopher Football coaching prsent itself.

They're just lurking and licking their chops.

Yes, I hear that tolling bell.
My ears have been ringing for a long time too.
And some where out there Plato
someone rings a bell for you.

So, don't ask me to ignore
that PJ's bell rings each BT game he wins
and merely clanks on his BT losses.
His peeling bell this year greatly enhanced his BT chances

I don't follow recruiting ratings.
I only use the the Big Ten standings.
I think that PJ set himself up quite well
to possibly ring a lot of bells here or somewhere else.

It won't be long til my bell tolls
As sad, old Plato wisely cracks
wren's journey through this GOPHER HOLE
was like being banned forever to the GONG SHOW.

I've seen 'em come
and seen them go
some too fast
and some too slow.

.444 Big Ten winning percentage
3 years into the P J Fleck tenure
With 9 more games in year 4
will it be less...or will it be more?

Good luck and keep the Big Ten wins coming P J

Last edited:

We are the only Big Ten team that has a winning record against Bama because of 04, though. ;)

We are the only Big Ten team that has a winning record against Bama because of 04, though. ;)
I was there for that game and I'll be there for it again if MN plays them this year! Bring it on!

Do bowl wins matter, or only Big Ten wins?

Big Ten wins are wins against Big Ten teams.
Non-conference wins are usually SOS wreckers.
Not all bowl pairings are equal matches.
All Big Ten members are recurrent competitors.

Is playing So Dak State playing Bamma Or tOSU?
Is playing Fresno State playing Oregon in the SUN?
Is playing Illinois State in August playing Iowa ever?
Is beating Ohio winning or losing in the big house?
Is playing a MAC team playing in State College PA?

Big Ten Conference members have equal B1G $$$.

I compare BT teams to BT teams You can do what ever you darn well please.

So you don’t count SEC wins?
Or Power 5 wins?
[/QUOTE

It all depends on your meaning of count, I suppose.
however, for the purpose of rating Big Ten football coaches from the U of M in Minneapolis I only count every coach against Big Ten competition.

By using ONLY BT competition my data is not inflated with competition from high school teams south by northwest pay for play competition just to tune up on and other factors that may or may not dilute the essence of Big Ten competition.
The Big Ten brand of football has been and will be a recognizable brand and level of college football. From top to bottom the conference has sustained a solid level of football competition and is the ultimate challenge to help rate and evaluate Big Ten football coaches.

You should use what ever you use to rate BT coaches at the U.
Good luck and best wishes to PJ Fleck and each and every one of you.
As of this point in time Coach Fleck has achieved a BT winning rating of .444 as a BT football coach at the U of M after completing 3 seasons and coaching 27 total BT games. He has won 12 BT games and he has lost 15 BT games. I agree that he deserves a contract and increased salary and bonus considerations. I applaud his staff and very much admire his players.

Coach Fleck IS a Big Ten Football coach and I can give no higher endorsement or compliment than that at this point in time.

what, may I ask does your rating system say about the good coach?

Top Bottom