Winning brings better arguments

To be fair, there are still a lot of people who randomly bring up Claeys, Kill, sometimes Brewster or Mason, out of nowhere as total non sequiturs to rip on. It's bizarre. Because, you know, one can't be supportive of the current staff without hating previous staffs and giving zero credit for any of their accomplishments.
They deserve some credit but you must admit there were not a ton of accomplishments when i go year by year.

What happens when the Gophers win the next two Big Ten titles and there's no more room to put the 2021 because the play clock is in the way?

They deserve some credit but you must admit there were not a ton of accomplishments when i go year by year.
My question to those that were fine with Mason and Kill, and wanted to keep Claeys is this: how many 7-9 win seasons, separated by a 4-6 win season here and there, would they be content with until they expect one of those coaches to achieve higher? Yes, Mason had a 10-3 season, I know. But after that one, 9 was our peak. Once. A couple 8 win seasons under Kill. There was a 7 win season in there somewhere. But did anyone really see us going further than 9 wins under those coaches? I never really got that feeling that we would.

My question to those that were fine with Mason and Kill, and wanted to keep Claeys is this: how many 7-9 win seasons, separated by a 4-6 win season here and there, would they be content with until they expect one of those coaches to achieve higher? Yes, Mason had a 10-3 season, I know. But after that one, 9 was our peak. Once. A couple 8 win seasons under Kill. There was a 7 win season in there somewhere. But did anyone really see us going further than 9 wins under those coaches? I never really got that feeling that we would.

When 2015 started and we had that Kent St. game ... it felt very real that Kill & Co. maybe peaked in 2014 and that was as far as we could ever expect from them.

Kill was going to live (and often die) with that offense...

Nice thing is that college football is truly a multi-year build project. (as opposed to the "win now" pro sports approach).

It's not as much about assembling individual players. It's about building a top-line culture and sustaining it (see PJ's references to Iowa/Wisconsin sustained culture).

2018 and 2019 were steps in the right direction. 2020 can be as good as 2019 if not better.

Top Bottom