Wills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I think Wills was at times our best offensive lineman LAST year. He was absolutely terrible in moments, but a lot of the time he was the only player moving anyone off the line.

He certainly had bad moments, but his bad moments stick out because of his size and where he plays. If you get bored, go back and watch just him throughout a game, by the middle of the year he was our best offensive lineman.

Wills was okay last year - which was better than how the majority of the line played (at least run blocking; I actually thought they were decent pass blocking). The fact of the matter is, if there was ever a junior that needed to be redshirted, it was Wills last year. He was terribly weak, and terribly out of shape (who in the world is/was the strength coach at Lackawanna?). The fact that he wasn't redshirted speaks to the lack of options we had to play in his place, which is unfortunate.

Wills, and everyone else on the line, has to be better this year for the team to do anything. I think he will be, but I do wish he had one more year after this to perhaps be down to 335 or so and much, much stronger.

Wills started every game in a BCS conerence. He is not a joke.

Only a complete idiot, or someone who didn't watch the games with a critical eye, would say that Wills was a Joke.

He was actually pretty effective by the end of the year.

I'm quite happy to have him starting on this line for a second year.

Your opinion of someone's play is one thing. I take offense when someone like Wills who came here at 420 lbs, lost a lot of weight and has busted his ass and tried his best for the Gophers is called a JOKE...

only a true joke would call someone with that type of character a joke...

Ultimately, the bottom-line is "how much athleticism does Wills possess?" Let me put this in perspective, former Vikings DE Keneche Udeze played his best football at 255lbs (although listed close to 300lbs, he dropped some weight after consulting with former Giants DE Michael Strahan), however when he arrived at USC as an 18-year-old freshman he was 400lbs+. Sometimes, heart, and hard-work goes along way...let's wish the best for Wills and all our bigmen in 2010!

On a side note: Former Golden Gopher Offensive lineman Jake Kuppe played at a similar "listed weight" of 6'7'' 365 lbs, who's the better Right Tackle?

I agree. Wills started 13 games last year. The question to ask the "experts"--who are obviously all former D1 coaches--Who would have been better at RT, since Wills was never supplanted in 13 games?

The expectation, exceeded the results. Wills plays the right tackle position. He should be a mauler, the run game should be favoring him. His run blocking was fair, his pass blocking and penalties were less so. To see him as a premier right tackle in the Big 10 is a fantasy. All the hard work in the past year will not make it so. If less weight helps his quickness, and some gains in the weightroom help his explosion it will go a long way to improving the offensive line. But he will only be a servicable player on a what is still a questionable offensive line.

While you start with Wills, Caruefel was injured, and that should not be an excuse. He needs this season to show whether he was everything he was suppose to be. He of the Cretin power house, he of the top rate Minnesota players, Notre Dame recruit. Last year was less than all that. He needs to prove his rating. Burris is an over achiever. In the weight room, and the field. He was cursed off the field at Saint Johns, moved to Guard, And yet there he is, your starting center. Of the offensive line Burris is the only one who consistently can move the man in front of him. Mr. Bunders, again a fairly high recruit, he of the starting 5 is truely a mystery. He is good enough to be unnoticed. But not to be raved about. Then there is Alford of the five, the first one to be replaced. He cannot block in space, or pass protect. An awful combination at left tackle. If he starts the season he has either transformed himself, the coaches are deluding themselves, or neither Olson or Michel are ready.

Make no mistake, the offensive line will tell the tale of the season. They cannot be in third and long, they cannot afford dead ball fouls, and they must be able to control the ball and the clock. And that means all season. From MTSU through TOSU. They cannnot disappear and pin the hope on Weber finding ......... another question mark.

100% Support

I am 100% in support of Wills this year. While frustrating at the beginning of the year, I think he was one of the most improved players on the roster through the course of the year. Combined with his work ethic and not making excuses for his play, he seems like a character guy we can all get behind. I'm excited to see him continue to progress and have a great year!

Wills has had a year with Davis and to work on footwork and technique. So have the rest. The OL will be transformed and has some depth for a change. Wills "unconventional" body shape made him appear to be worse than he was. You have to look at the progress and the results, not the image (which was ugly). Burris calling the OL signals will improve the overall performance of the OL this year. Anyone determined to be negative about this group for 2010 should go ahead and get it done now. Once the season starts it will be too late.

I 100% support the Gophers wining, and just because Wills dad came on here last year to defend him doesn't mean we all need to kiss his butt now. Would I be out of line saying that MQG better of learned to hold on to the football this year? Our D has a chance to be sick next year, but also we need to hope that a d end comes out of no where. Is that too negative too, or is it too honest.

I'm 100% support the Gophers wining, and just because Wills dad came on here last year to defend him doesn't mean we all need to kiss his butt now. Would I be out of line saying that MQG better of learned to hold on to the football this year? Our D has a chance to be sick next year, but also we need to hope that a d end comes out of no where. Is that too negative too, or is it too honest.

If we were kissing his butt we would have said that he was a perfect o-lineman. I think everyone agrees that he needs improvement... but to call him a joke and to disregard the improvement he has made is out of line.

Calling him (Wills) a joke is not only out of line but also very very inmature. I believe our O line will play better this year, how much better ? Let's wait and see.

This entire thread is a joke, not Jeff Wills.

We are not talking about Jeff Wills and the Pips here, or Gladys Knight and the Pips. Jeff Wills is not the leader of the band, or the only person responsible for the success or failure of the offensive line last year and this year. He is simply one of the five Pips, they all have to play well together in harmony for the offensive line to be successful. To single him out for the sins of his brothers last year, is the real joke here. From all reports he has shown great improvement in spring football, lost a considerable amount of weight, and worked hard in the weight room and elsewhere. He is to be commended for his hard work, improvement, and dedication to Gopher football, not singled out for ridicule by someone who knows nothing about what it takes to be a successful offensive lineman in major college football.

Let us all hope that Adam Weber and his running backs will be given improved pass protection and run blocking by this year's version of the Pips, and that Jeff Wills will lead the way and silence his Know Nothing critics.

GO GOPHERS!

I 100% support the Gophers wining, and just because Wills dad came on here last year to defend him doesn't mean we all need to kiss his butt now. Would I be out of line saying that MQG better of learned to hold on to the football this year? Our D has a chance to be sick next year, but also we need to hope that a d end comes out of no where. Is that too negative too, or is it too honest.

The expectation, exceeded the results...

Thank you, John. The super-duper Gopher d!ck patrol is out tonight...

Thank you, John. The super-duper Gopher d!ck patrol is out tonight...

so you are a dick if you point out Wills was terrible last year? You wouldn't last one minute of being a fan in a large media market.

Everyone can have some initial questions answered by going to Play4Brew and watching some fall practice video. Check out #71. His body shape. His footwork. His technique. True it is only fall practice w/o pads, but...

You will be very pleasantly surprised.

Brew_recruit. Well,... there just aren't words. BTW, try getting his name right. It is Wills, not Willis.

If you want to critique QB play, start with Weber. Unless you skipped to the #2 QB to kiss Weber's butt. Marquis AND EVERY OTHER offensive player needs to get better. The DE critique will be hysterical in two months. The DL is going to be solid, even with subs in the mix. I could care less about a father defending his son. That is his job. I just think very few people understand what it is like to walk in Jeff's shoes. Thus, despite an underachieving season in 2009, he has earned the respect of his teammates on both sides of the ball, the coaches, and reasonable posters throughout GopherNation.

Let's face it. Every member of the OL must improve this year if the Gophers are going to improve. Wills included.

If you want to critique QB play, start with Weber. Unless you skipped to the #2 QB to kiss Weber's butt. Marquis AND EVERY OTHER offensive player needs to get better. The DE critique will be hysterical in two months. The DL is going to be solid, even with subs in the mix. I could care less about a father defending his son. That is his job. I just think very few people understand what it is like to walk in Jeff's shoes. Thus, despite an underachieving season in 2009, he has earned the respect of his teammates on both sides of the ball, the coaches, and reasonable posters throughout GopherNation.

Weber played terrible last year, but only a real cool-aid drinker can justify MQG fumbling every time someone breathed on him last year. The DL is very weak on paper this year unless again you are thinking they will be great based on pure optimism. But the worst starter on our team last year who seemed to get a free pass by fans on here after his dady came on a cried was Wills. I was just saying if you look at my original post is he better not get a free pass to the starting lineup this year.

Weber played terrible last year, but only a real cool-aid drinker can justify MQG fumbling every time someone breathed on him last year. The DL is very weak on paper this year unless again you are thinking they will be great based on pure optimism. But the worst starter on our team last year who seemed to get a free pass by fans on here after his dady came on a cried was Wills. I was just saying if you look at my original post is he better not get a free pass to the starting lineup this year.

Are you a moron? Do you not see the points people are trying to make? You can't call one of our players who tried his best, played every single snap, improved steadily, busted his ass to lose the weight we all complained about, and got in NO trouble off field a JOKE.

Also... I don't remember his dad crying - I remember him introducing himself to us, agreeing with many of the problems we had with Wills, and promising us that his son will try his best to turn our opinions around.

Check out #71. His body shape. His footwork. His .

I couldn't find the videos, but I found a picture of him standing next to Davis and he looks like a completely different person. Wow.

Weight Loss does not equal improved play

Guys, he may have lost a few pounds, but his strength is nowhere near where it needs to be for him to dominate folks... and besides his footwork is so slow he can't be trusted to play tackle."
It's embarrasing that the coaches keep putting him out there... when Brew talks about how it's great to have so much depth on the OL and DL, it's because last year he had no other option than Willis the other guys were probably at the same level of size/physicality and they put Willis out there just because his raw size allowed him to take up space.

I don't care what you weigh... it's how much force you can generate (move quickly, efficently, and leverage yourself against others), how aggressive you are (can you be a mean sob and finish each play), and how mentally strong you are (do you know your responsibilities, can you avoid taking penalties).

I think the rs freshman deserve the shot to supplant the upper classmen... it's obvious they didn't want it enough if you let them play after not putting in the effort, what kind of message are you sending to the younger players?

If we want to really critique our O-line play this year before the season starts then I suggest some of you to attend the scrimmage Aug 21st and get a first hand view for yourselves. Then you can get on here and debate who has the best/worst footwork is the best and who should start the Middle Tennessee game.

Go Gophers!

Thank you Brew_Recruit for your comments about jeff. Just two things I should correct you about:

1) Last year when I came on this site, it was not my intention to defend Jeff NOR was I crying! Not my style! I do NOT apologize for his play....he is a grown man, can speak for himself and he knows how to work harder and correct it! and

2) I am speaking directly to you because it seems that you have ALWAYS had such a "hard on" for him. I will be the first to tell you or anyone else that if there is another lineman on the team that plays better, is stronger, faster feet, more experienced AND gives our team a better shot of winning, then Jeffrey should sit, keep his head up and support the other lineman and go back into practice and compete harder to win his position back. All that matters is what the coaches think because it is their jobs and reputations on the line to win now. Until that time, lets just see what happens!

I and his family support Jeffrey in all his athletic and academic efforts 100%. Along with Mark Hill, Will Peoples and Tim Davis, I am extremely proud of the long hours of work they have invested into him (if nothing more than improving his health) and Jeffrey's ever present pride in becoming a better right offensive tackle for our GOPHERS. He takes tremendous pride in his school and team and for this reason, we all want to win big this year for him and our other seniors. However, if you think there is an option you have that has not been explored, I can personally set up a face to face with you and Jeffrey and you can personally voice your facts and/or displeasure with his play to him in person. I am sure you can factually back up everything you are saying on this thread, but hurry...he graduates in December.

Mike Wills (Jeff's Dad)
GO GOPHERS!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IUH3JQjcweM&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IUH3JQjcweM&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Seriously though, Mike.

I am very happy for Jeff, and I am proud to have him join me as an alumnus of thee University of Minnesota.

Go Gophers!

Mike,

your first defense of your kid was "hey...no matter how bad wills played today, he still gets a free ride in school while u guys complaining r filling out financial aid forms....who's laughing now." what kind of dick move is that? I hope, as much as anybody, that Wills improves tenfold, and this is no knock on him. But how do you rationalize lording his scholarship over all of us?

Mike,

your first defense of your kid was "hey...no matter how bad wills played today, he still gets a free ride in school while u guys complaining r filling out financial aid forms....who's laughing now." what kind of dick move is that? I hope, as much as anybody, that Wills improves tenfold, and this is no knock on him. But how do you rationalize lording his scholarship over all of us?

Is this a serious post? Lording his scholarship?

GoldenGopher comments like yours are not welcome! Give the kid credit for busting his butt and making the most of his talent unlike like some more gifted athletes that have squandered theirs. Give the kid credit for being a good student and a good kid even if he hasn't met your expectations as an athlete. I expect that he will be a minimum, a serviceable tackle and more likely a solid one, this year.

Is Jeff Wills going to Mordor? ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL!!! Sorry, the lording comment made me antsy.

Can we please see one Big Ten game before brew_recruit blows his load over offensive line play? I mean, this is just ridiculous. Hope Wills makes a biotch of opposing linemen.

Thank you Brew_Recruit for your comments about jeff. Just two things I should correct you about:

1) Last year when I came on this site, it was not my intention to defend Jeff NOR was I crying! Not my style! I do NOT apologize for his play....he is a grown man, can speak for himself and he knows how to work harder and correct it! and

2) I am speaking directly to you because it seems that you have such a "hard on" for Jeff. I will be the first to tell you or anyone else that if there is another lineman on the team that plays better, is stronger, faster feet, more experienced AND gives our team a better shot of winning, then Jeffrey should sit, support the other lineman and compete harder to win his position back. All that matters is what the coaches think because it is their jobs and reputations on the line. Until that time, lets just see what happens!

I and his family support Jeffrey and all his efforts 100%. I am extremely proud of the work he has put into himself (if nothing more than improving his health) and his ever present pride in becoming a better right offensive tackle for our GOPHERS. He takes tremendous pride in his school and team and for this reason, we all want to win this year for him and our other seniors. However, if you think there is an option you have that has not been explored, I can personally set up a face to face with you and Jeffrey and you can personally voice your facts and/or displeasure with his play to him in person. I am sure you can factually back up everything you are saying on your computer but hurry...he graduates in December.

Mike Wills (Jeff's Dad)
GO GOPHERS!

Mike
Your restraint is admirable. I'm proud to have Jeff on our team, and I'm amazed at his physical transformation and work ethic. Good luck to you and your family and let's hope Jeff has a great senior season and gets drafted!

Minnesota Golden Gophers
Player: Jeff Willis, OT
Mammoth tackle at 6-7, 365 pounds; needs to improve his pass protection skills.

Kiper is an interesting fellow--this is surprising. Wills may be an upstanding individual and will be a graduate soon, but I hope there's good competition this year for playing time. It'll make everyone better. Watching the camp videos the sports information department is throwing up, Olson looks like he wants it.

Bring on 8/21.

Wow, you would think that someone from Brooklyn would have thicker skin. But I have seen the type before. An overbearing dad that has to get in everyone's face has a kid who is passive aggressive, even though the kid is massive. Let him stand on his own for once please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom