Will Notre Dame QB Dayne Crist end up at UW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a big fan of the rule as most don't do it for the education part. There are a bunch of kids who have done everything right but because they didn't redshirt, didn't get this opportunity. Either allow all players who have graduated or are on track to graduate after three years of playing transfer without having to sit out a year or don't allow anyone. Many times it's not the decision of the athlete to redshirt or not.

Crist is no where near the player Wilson is so I don't think he makes that big of an impact wherever he goes.

I'm not a big fan of the rule as most don't do it for the education part. There are a bunch of kids who have done everything right but because they didn't redshirt, didn't get this opportunity. Either allow all players who have graduated or are on track to graduate after three years of playing without having to sit out a year or don't allow anyone. Many times it's not the decision of the athlete to redshirt or not.
This is a good point that I hadn't thought about.

I think this year they said with a nod and a wink to Russel Wilson that he'd have to compete for the job. I'm not sure they could say the same with Crist because he is not as good a player as RW. I think that Crist will want to go somewhere where he receives the same non-assurance assurance.

You guys were pretty concerned for us last summer. "Could Wilson learn the playbook? What will this do to chemistry? He's only faced ACC defenses." Playbook....check. Chemistry....check (named a captain after 6 weeks in Madison). Big Ten Defenses? Check (consensus All Big Ten).

Good to see the concern for us again. I like that. When you guys predict the downfall of Wisconsin, good things seem to happen.

How will this do with development/recruitment of QBs? This move might be necessary. The UW didn't bring in a scholarship QB this past year. Next year's senior scholarship QB is Curt Phillips....recovering from his third ACL tear. Next year's junior scholarship QB is Jon Budmyer.....recovering from major elbow surgery of a reoccurring injury. Next year's Sophomore scholarship QB is Joey Brennan. We'll know what the coaches think of him if they press for Dayne Crist. As of now....if they aren't counting on Budmyer and Phillips, the UW will have two scholarship QBs (Brennan and Bart Houston) and a walk-on in RS Frosh Joel Stave.

Dayne Crist isn't Russell Wilson. But he could be a John Stocco or even a Kurt Cousins. He's a misfit in the ND offense. Does anyone doubt that given Spring ball and all summer, Paul Chryst could make him a pretty good QB? When he played significant snaps (sophomore year) he put up good numbers. We'll see what the UW does. Their hand might be forced if they don't think they have those two upperclassmen.

Who is in line to be the Badger QB? I know they have a commitment from a highly-ranked pro-style kid out of California, but would they throw him right in there?

Depth chart to open Fall came would probably be:

Joe Brennan - RS Soph
Joel Stave - RS Frosh (walk on)
Bart Houston - True Frosh - he's the kid who you are asking about. Elite 11 QB who shined out there at the Elite 11 camp.

PS--Sheesh. Looks like I've got to go to an exorcist because it appears I have a mind-meld with a d*ckhead Badgerfan. Here we are having a nice conversation--and civil no less--and here comes the chucklehead to sh*t in the punchbowl.

He's not....

Depth chart to open Fall came would probably be:

Joe Brennan - RS Soph
Joel Stave - RS Frosh (walk on)
Bart Houston - True Frosh - he's the kid who you are asking about. Elite 11 QB who shined out there at the Elite 11 camp.

elite anymore. He has been downgraded by Rivals

Elite 11 is a camp for the top 11 QBs in the country to go through drills, etc., with top notch coaching. He was at that camp. Coaches raved about him. So he'll always be an Elite 11 QB.

I'll let you know the next time I worry about what Rivals ranks a player. Rivals job is to sell subscriptions. While you are at it, go see where Rivals ranked Russell Wilson. And Marquis Gray. Then look who was the Big Ten's QB of the year and which didn't even get mentioned.

And while we are talking Ruppert....why not go back an look at how big of a shot you took at Consensus First Team All Big Ten LB Chris Borland after the UW's first game. The thread got locked, but I could find it if you'd like. More dum dum from you though.

If it has merit under the APR guidelines, I hope the NCAA factors the grad school Wilson type transfers data into the formula and also each schools graduation rates.

One other thing not mentioned is the Wilsons of CFB would probably choose not to use their remaining elgibility if they were forced to sit out a year. I doubt many of them would hang on for two years to play one. Being able to play right away does award them for their choice to graduate early.

I agree with Bob and am on the fence with this issue.

I wonder if this would begin to hurt their QB recruiting. Seems like they are less interested in developing QB talent than they are with getting quick fixes with 1 and done transfers.

So, kinda like the CFB version of the Vikings, albeit bringing in non-retread QBs....

Elite 11 is a camp for the top 11 QBs in the country to go through drills, etc., with top notch coaching. He was at that camp. Coaches raved about him. So he'll always be an Elite 11 QB.

I'll let you know the next time I worry about what Rivals ranks a player. Rivals job is to sell subscriptions. While you are at it, go see where Rivals ranked Russell Wilson. And Marquis Gray. Then look who was the Big Ten's QB of the year and which didn't even get mentioned.

He certainly didn't show it on the field ( www.rivals.com) He was downgraded 6 spots and went from a 4**** PQB to a 3***
while Gopher recruit Nelson moved up based on his performance. This was Gray's first year at QB. If he had 6 years like Wilson who knows how could he would be. Also junior I would suggest you look at total offense by player and then take away the seniors on the grid and look going into next year and then remind that de-horn Myles Long that said Gray would be either a academic casuality or leave early and enter the draft as a WR. That was according too Myles "inside" source. SPARTY ON junior.

He certainly didn't show it on the field ( www.rivals.com) He was downgraded 6 spots and went from a 4**** PQB to a 3***
while Gopher recruit Nelson moved up based on his performance. This was Gray's first year at QB. If he had 6 years like Wilson who knows how could he would be. Also junior I would suggest you look at total offense by player and then take away the seniors on the grid and look going into next year and then remind that de-horn Myles Long that said Gray would be either a academic casuality or leave early and enter the draft as a WR. That was according too Myles "inside" source. SPARTY ON junior.

According to who? Oh yeah. Rivals. Back to my original point on that one. Let's just hope he's not a flameout like Gray.

Sweet. A pissing match between the Gopher fan who trolls the Wisky board and the Wisky fan trolling the Gopher board. Can you two just exchange e-mails or phone numbers and bicker like an old married couple out of sight?

I would be shocked if the Badgers took Crist, but I have been wrong before. The Badgers take one QB a year and the two oldest QB's in the cycle are hurt and their futures are not clear. That would be the only reason they would consider it. I still don't think they are going to do it.

The Wilson situation was a perfect match, I can't see that set of circumstances working again. I find all the hand wringing about Wilson to be funny. This summer, according to this board he was not that good, too short, and going to be a non factor. Now, he is the only reason the Badgers had a good year and some people are bitter about the rule. That is generally the way it works.

As much as some of you hate the rule, if it benefits the Gophers one year, you will be fine with it.

Good discussion.

This summer, according to this board he was not that good, too short, and going to be a non factor. Now, he is the only reason the Badgers had a good year and some people are bitter about the rule. That is generally the way it works.
Actually, most folks thought he'd be ok to pretty good but that the "Heisman" talk was crazy based on his track record. His play this season is well beyond what any impartial observer expected and he's definitely deserving of the praise and awards he is getting.

I'll go on record as someone who thought Wilson would be very good...which he was. I also said that if the Badgers don't win the national title, it was a waste...which it was.

LMAO!!!!! Yeah, not worth it one bit! At least, it wasn't for Gopher fans.

Wisconsin glory hole:

lW3rQ.jpg

I'll never understand why so many Badger fans are registered users on Gopherhole. I just assume you have no life if you are a rival to Minnesota and contribute (troll) here on a regular basis. I barely have enough time to browse these forums and Minnesota is my alma mater. That isn't just directed at non-gopher fans on Gopherhole, but also to Gopher fans that go to rivals boards and contribute (troll) on a regular basis.

I see some good and bad in the transfer rule. I like that it finally gives the players some power and acknowledges that this major college sports are a business for the players just as it is for the coaches and the school. The players are tyring to put themselves in the best position to either get paid to play professional football or make a big enough name for themselves at the college level that it helps lead them to employment opportunities in other areas. That said, I don't like that a current player on the roster can go through a year thinking he's next in line...only to be leapfrogged by a transfer he didn't see coming. For that player, his decision to stick around the prior year might have been different if he knew about player X coming on board. I just have a huge problem with acting like major college sports are not big business and to pretend that these transfers have anything to do with academics is laughable (in Football/Basketball, obviously different scenario with non revenue sports). Look at Masoli last year and the ability to find some grad program at Ole Miss that wasn't available at Oregon.

I'll never understand why so many Badger fans are registered users on Gopherhole. I just assume you have no life if you are a rival to Minnesota and contribute (troll) here on a regular basis. I barely have enough time to browse these forums and Minnesota is my alma mater. That isn't just directed at non-gopher fans on Gopherhole, but also to Gopher fans that go to rivals boards and contribute (troll) on a regular basis.

This one is easy, Madtown. I like to talk UW football. I go where people like to talk UW football. I happen to find that a lot of people here, like to talk UW football. So this is one of a few places I like to see if people are talking UW football, and then join into the discussion. As you'll notice, there are often times numerous topics started by Gopher fans about UW football. So it's a good place to get a football fix.

I don't really care to talk about Minnesota football, which is why you will rarely see me post in topics that don't have anything to do with UW football.

This one is easy, Madtown. I like to talk UW football. I go where people like to talk UW football. I happen to find that a lot of people here, like to talk UW football. So this is one of a few places I like to see if people are talking UW football, and then join into the discussion. As you'll notice, there are often times numerous topics started by Gopher fans about UW football. So it's a good place to get a football fix.

I don't really care to talk about Minnesota football, which is why you will rarely see me post in topics that don't have anything to do with UW football.
Do you sign up on the board of every single team the Badgers play. I'm sure they talk about the Badgers in the week leading up to the game.

Some of them. But this place has UW football 24/7/365. If others wanted to talk UW football as much as you guys do, I'm sure I'd find my way there.

Would Crist put the Badgers over Bielema's salary cap? Would he have to cut players?

Lulz. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of Badger messageboards on the interwebz, why can't you go talk about Badger football there? Instead you have to come troll your rivals board, defending every little comment that a random Gopher fan may say about the Badgers. Seems pretty lame, you should go outside every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom