Will Coyle do anything to help enhance home crowd advantage?

Why should he have to do anything. The whole atmosphere has changed since they moved back to campus. I am looking forward to the weather on Saturday. I hated going to the Metrodome. I want the weather to be a factor in the game.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$82...$7 service fee.
I don't understand why secondary market tickets are so expensive here.

A quick check for the NW at Purdue game next weekend shows lower deck seats as low as $14.
Penn State at Rutgers - $40
Illinois at Michigan - $54
Wisconsin at Nebraska - $14

MSU at Penn State on the 26th (Thanksgiving could be an issue here) $14
Minnesota at Wisconsin on the 26th - $18

You can get seats for almost any NW game for around 10 bucks.

Looking at basketball tickets here last year, it was the same thing. Compared to other B1G markets, Gopher tickets were extremely expensive.

I don't understand why secondary market tickets are so expensive here.

A quick check for the NW at Purdue game next weekend shows lower deck seats as low as $14.
Penn State at Rutgers - $40
Illinois at Michigan - $54
Wisconsin at Nebraska - $14

MSU at Penn State on the 26th (Thanksgiving could be an issue here) $14
Minnesota at Wisconsin on the 26th - $18

You can get seats for almost any NW game for around 10 bucks.

Looking at basketball tickets here last year, it was the same thing. Compared to other B1G markets, Gopher tickets were extremely expensive.
It's because season tickets and single game tickets are really expensive here.

It's because season tickets and single game tickets are really expensive here.
Is there a price floor on the secondary market though? If you know you aren't going to a game, and you can at least get something back, wouldn't you?

Are tickets really that much cheaper at other schools, and if so, why?

no one wants to go to a cold meaningless game, Iowa should be a good crowd if not thats when i would be concerned

Warm family vacation giveaways.

Can they put a temporary bubble over the stadium?
I think TCF (sorry, that's its name) was very well done and is just about perfect for what Gophers football is and likely will be.

Except for November games. Because, damn it is cold. Diehards will come out, but tough to get most people other than that.

So, while I sure as hell wouldn't trade away TCF for this ..... it still would have been interesting, in light of how many light years better USBS is vs the Humpty-dome, what it would've been like if the Gophers had never left playing in the Vikings stadium.

We played 1-8 Northwestern. Next week will be different atmosphere. The winner is still alive to win division.
Agree wholeheartedly GGR. Students also did not show yesterday for the first time, which to this point they have done better than the rest of the stadium.

Unfortunately it gets cold in I-O-W-A City too so the Hawks should be fine just like our men. Do agree that "too cold" should not be an excuse for not attending, especially with a 3 PM start to boot.

My hunch is that it's just people aren't willing to take a big loss so they won't drop their tickets below a certain price. Maybe at a point people would rather just give them away?

I haven't checked in a while but last time I did I remember we had some of the most expensive tickets in the Big Ten.
Is there a price floor on the secondary market though? If you know you aren't going to a game, and you can at least get something back, wouldn't you?

Are tickets really that much cheaper at other schools, and if so, why?

Our fans are what they are...there is about 30k people who care enough to go on a regular basis. Hopefully the cultivating a solid student section every year will add to that but I highly doubt it. Hockey has the same problem. (and it was a problem prior to the Big Ten no matter what people say...I was at the U when we won 2 National Titles and Mariucci was never full except against NoDak and maybe WI or a Minnesota school if they were good. When I had SRO season tickets one year we could pick any section that wasn't the students and find the needed 4-5 seats together anywhere in the arena)
Was at the Friday game v. Penn State.

Students show up for hockey - rest of the arena, not so much.

Weird thing - capacity at Mariucci is 10,000, crowd was announced as 8,900+, but it sure didn't look like it.

There must be, what, 1,000 people milling around in the concourse pretty much the entire game.

It may be having the open concourse ISN'T good for "putting fannies in seats."

There was a recent push by the U to hire off-duty Mpls cops to have extra patrols in Dinkytown, so maybe they are there?
Majority of those trying to get traffic moving in Dinkytown are the Cities Traffic Control Agents if you look closely its about a 50/50 split on off duty UMPD and Traffic Control Agents trying to get the traffic moving. If there was a way to sync the lights from 15 AV all the way to 35W on University and get everyone flowing for 3-4 min straight that would get a lot of cars moved out too.

Winning games and competing at a high level will make up for the weather. I had a couple buddies tell me they didn't want to go to the game because of the cold. Just dress warm and people will be fine. Hell....there was a kid who couldn't have been older than ten in the lower bowl wearing a t-shirt with snow pants over the top. Didn't seem to be fazed at all by the cold. Take note....Gopher fans!

Was at the Friday game v. Penn State.

Students show up for hockey - rest of the arena, not so much.

Weird thing - capacity at Mariucci is 10,000, crowd was announced as 8,900+, but it sure didn't look like it.

There must be, what, 1,000 people milling around in the concourse pretty much the entire game.

It may be having the open concourse ISN'T good for "putting fannies in seats."
There are a ton of corporate season tickets at hockey that go unused.

My row had 2 people there yesterday, me and my son. I don't get the no shows for cold games. The most fun I've had at games are the cold games. Just bundle up and have a good time with your fellow die hard. The only thing cold yesterday was my toes. BilldGopher did stop over to say hi. A true die hard....and he's from Georgia!!!

Embrace your culture, Minnesota

Why should he have to do anything. The whole atmosphere has changed since they moved back to campus. I am looking forward to the weather on Saturday. I hated going to the Metrodome. I want the weather to be a factor in the game.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed. Would be cool if it snowed. The dome sucked for everything but monster trucks.

There are a ton of corporate season tickets at hockey that go unused.
The issues with hockey have been discussed at length. As much as people say "get over the whole B1G conference" there is no question it really damaged interest in Gopher Hockey. One need only look at the disaster that was the attendance of the B1G hockey tournament as opposed to the old Final Five.

no one wants to go to a cold meaningless game, Iowa should be a good crowd if not thats when i would be concerned
That doesn't explain the prices for basketball though, which are also very high compared to other schools.

I feel like you glossed over my second, third, and fourth sentences. Gophs have everything they need from a facilities standpoint to surplant WI and IA in the division. They also went after, got, and paid for the HC the AD wanted. Gophers need to grow the core fanbase. In this town (seriously compete for other sports and entertainment $$ options), that means winning consistently, winning the big games, and winning your division and making the conference championship game a few times in a decade.

I didn't gloss over it, I just want really arguing against any of that just feel that's is more to it. I agree with you.

Maybe it's me, but I think with the quality of watching on TV, it's going to get harder to attract new people to the stadium on a consistent basis. For example, for me, I've been to a handful of football games in my entire life. I think one Gopher game in the dome as a kid, two at the dome in college, and one viking game at the dome.

So since I have almost no experience going to games, tailgating, atmosphere, etc. maybe I don't know what I'm missing? But then I consider what I'd have to do to even go to a game:

1. Get an electronic ticket, right? No more paper ones? So I'd have to install some app on my phone?

2. Leave my place well before kickoff, even though I'm only a few miles from campus. So either give up the pre-game show or some other game currently being played, so I can sit in traffic and find a place to park, then walk to the stadium.

3. Put up with the security to get in? I hear people complaining about that all the time. Makes me want no part of it. I like the spring game where I can just walk right in and sit down. Anything more than that is just a new hassle I haven't experienced and don't want to.

4. What to do between plays? All my life, minus the 4 games I listed above, I'd watch football on TV and see replays and stat graphics and all kinds of stuff in between plays. What can I do at the stadium except look at my phone?

5. Deal with a crowd when leaving.

So 1-5 are all new to me. My last game was the viking's opener in 2001. Now if 1-5 are commonplace for some, that might be why it's so easy for them to go. But you'd have to do an AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL lot to get me to put up with 1-5 just to see the game in person. Not even free tickets would do it. A free ticket plus unlimited beer and food and I'd consider showing up. Use the new TV revenue to fund unlimited beer.

But that's just how I view it. A major pain in the a#$ versus staying home and switching to another game if the gophers are losing.

You mean the every game indoor tailgate they offer adjacent to the stadium? Or are you just going to ignore that the stuff you want may already exist?
I have a buddy who may want to go this route.

Can you link the information about the event?

TIA

Maybe it's me, but I think with the quality of watching on TV, it's going to get harder to attract new people to the stadium on a consistent basis. For example, for me, I've been to a handful of football games in my entire life. I think one Gopher game in the dome as a kid, two at the dome in college, and one viking game at the dome.

So since I have almost no experience going to games, tailgating, atmosphere, etc. maybe I don't know what I'm missing? But then I consider what I'd have to do to even go to a game:

1. Get an electronic ticket, right? No more paper ones? So I'd have to install some app on my phone?

2. Leave my place well before kickoff, even though I'm only a few miles from campus. So either give up the pre-game show or some other game currently being played, so I can sit in traffic and find a place to park, then walk to the stadium.

3. Put up with the security to get in? I hear people complaining about that all the time. Makes me want no part of it. I like the spring game where I can just walk right in and sit down. Anything more than that is just a new hassle I haven't experienced and don't want to.

4. What to do between plays? All my life, minus the 4 games I listed above, I'd watch football on TV and see replays and stat graphics and all kinds of stuff in between plays. What can I do at the stadium except look at my phone?

So 1-5 are all new to me. My last game was the viking's opener in 2001. Now if 1-5 are commonplace for some, that might be why it's so easy for them to go. But you'd have to do an AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL lot to get me to put up with 1-5 just to see the game in person. Not even free tickets would do it. A free ticket plus unlimited beer and food and I'd consider showing up. Use the new TV revenue to fund unlimited beer.

But that's just how I view it. A major pain in the a#$ versus staying home and switching to another game if the gophers are losing.
You do you, but this post tells me everything I need to know to be sure that you and I aren't going to be friends.

I have a buddy who may want to go this route.

Can you link the information about the event?

TIA
It’s been discussed in this thread. I have never gone but its literally across from BWW and kitty corner to the stadium. No idea what that building is because as the university told me when I applied to be a student “you’re clearly not very smart and are barely literate”

True fan right here.

Top Bottom