Will Coyle do anything to help enhance home crowd advantage?

It is what it is, but the on field performance is the issue. We stub our toe at home every year to a team we should beat. Kills momentum and build up. We'll see what the 3 win streak has and playing Iowa. We saw what 2019 was going into Penn State and Wisconsin home games.

Many of you may disagree, but the following are my thoughts on this post:

1. If installing a new app on your phone is a problem worthy of not attending a game, I don't know what to tell you. I can't even imagine the 30 seconds this takes being a problem. Ever.
2. Have never sat in traffic on the way to a Gophers game long enough to make me think twice about it being a problem.
3. I've never had an issue here, although I've read on here about people who have.
4. College football games take forever regardless of how you watch. Enjoy the atmosphere.
5. Stick around the area. A lot of folks do. It's fun. But also, I've never once thought that dealing with people leaving the stadium was a problem.

I have to say that I don't view any of these as a "major pain in the ass". I love watching on tv, but mainly because I live 400+ miles from the stadium. When I go to a game, not a single one of these five points plays into my gameday experience. Not one.

Again, one fans opinion.
100% agree. I've got a big TV and a comfy recliner, but I never even consider staying home. I've never really experienced any of those issues either, but if I did, (for me) it wouldn't come close to negating how much I enjoy tailgating and being at the game live with my friends. Not trying to shame people for how they personally enjoy the games, but if you have not been out to the stadium, I'd encourage you to grab a friend or two and give it a shot.

Many of you may disagree, but the following are my thoughts on this post:

1. If installing a new app on your phone is a problem worthy of not attending a game, I don't know what to tell you. I can't even imagine the 30 seconds this takes being a problem. Ever.
2. Have never sat in traffic on the way to a Gophers game long enough to make me think twice about it being a problem.
3. I've never had an issue here, although I've read on here about people who have.
4. College football games take forever regardless of how you watch. Enjoy the atmosphere.
5. Stick around the area. A lot of folks do. It's fun. But also, I've never once thought that dealing with people leaving the stadium was a problem.

I have to say that I don't view any of these as a "major pain in the ass". I love watching on tv, but mainly because I live 400+ miles from the stadium. When I go to a game, not a single one of these five points plays into my gameday experience. Not one.

Again, one fans opinion.
I think willingness to put up with hassles really is a measure of your level of interest in the team.

For me, I probably wouldn't go to a Timberwolves game even if given free tickets. I don't enjoy the NBA that much so it's just not worth the hassle.

I haven't been to a Vikings game in forever because for me the hassle (and ticket price) aren't worth it. Would rather just watch from home.

I would love to go to more Wild or MN United games but from where I live it's a 40 minute to over 1-hour drive depending on traffic. Makes it harder to convince myself to go, but I usually make it to 1 or 2 games a year for each.

But I have Twins and Gopher football season tickets. Twins games are much easier to get in and out of though! Also get to a few Gopher hockey games too.

With 5 pro sports teams and Big Ten football, basketball, and hockey though I'm not shocked people aren't jumping at spending $300 a ticket on Gopher football (see also my previous post that our football tickets are way more expensive than Wisconsin's or Iowa's for comparison). There's just so many sports events to spend your money on.

Last edited:

Sometimes I read Goherhole impressions of game day and I wonder if I'm reading about another team entirely... facebook ... Next Door where almost anything is declared as a fact no matter how absurd.

I go to every home game and some folks impressions are alien to me. Here's my list of claims, some specific, some not, that at times seem like they come out of left field.
  • The heating were coils removed.
  • Nobody attended <insert game/>.
  • Students won't show up (general statement, or specific game).
  • The crowd not being into a game / loud.
  • People won't go to games / we never sell out.
  • People won't dress for the stripe out.
  • The stripe out looked terrible.
  • Some sort of other measurement of engagement measured vs a cold ass game vs a ONE WIN TEAM.
  • The cart on the field is some sort of emergency response vehicle required to attend to critically injured athletes and nobody will know what to do if it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Sometimes I read Goherhole impressions of game day and I wonder if I'm reading about another team entirely... facebook ... Next Door where almost anything is declared as a fact no matter how absurd.

I go to every home game and some folks impressions are alien to me. Here's my list of claims, some specific, some not, that at times seem like they come out of left field.
  • The heating were coils removed.
  • Nobody attended <insert game/>.
  • Students won't show up (general statement, or specific game).
  • The crowd not being into a game / loud.
  • People won't go to games / we never sell out.
  • People won't dress for the stripe out.
  • The stripe out looked terrible.
  • Some sort of other measurement of engagement measured vs a cold ass game vs a ONE WIN TEAM.
I'm not on Facebook or Nextdoor, but with the guys I hang out with that are more casual fans, I find myself correcting a lot of misconceptions or mistruths about Gopher football. I guess maybe they read it on Facebook or Twitter and are just repeating it.

I think willingness to put up with hassles really is a measure of your level of interest in the team.

For me, I probably wouldn't go to a Timberwolves game even if given free tickets. I don't enjoy the NBA that much so it's just not worth the hassle.

I haven't been to a Vikings game in forever because for me the hassle (and ticket price) aren't worth it. Would rather just watch from home.

I would love to go to more Wild or MN United games but from where I live it's a 40 minute to over 1-hour drive depending on traffic. Makes it harder to convince myself to go, but I usually make it to 1 or 2 games a year for each.

But I have Twins and Gopher football season tickets. Twins games are much easier to get in and out of though! Also get to a few Gopher hockey games too.

With 5 pro sports teams and Big Ten football, basketball, and hockey though I'm not shocked people aren't jumping at spending $300 a ticket on Gopher football (see also my previous post that our football tickets are way more expensive than Wisconsin's or Iowa's for comparison). There's just so many sports events to spend your money on.
I'm going to assume you live on the west side of the Twin Cities? I live about 12 miles west of downtown and it's super easy for us to go to events at Target Field and Target Center. In and out of the ramps to 394 and home in 10 minutes. I agree that I find myself going to fewer events at the Xcel or Allianz than I'd like because it's a hassle.

I'm going to assume you live on the west side of the Twin Cities? I live about 12 miles west of downtown and it's super easy for us to go to events at Target Field and Target Center. In and out of the ramps to 394 and home in 10 minutes. I agree that I find myself going to fewer events at the Xcel or Allianz than I'd like because it's a hassle.
Guessing we are neighbors lol

I'm not on Facebook or Nextdoor, but with the guys I hang out with that are more casual fans, I find myself correcting a lot of misconceptions or mistruths about Gopher football. I guess maybe they read it on Facebook or Twitter and are just repeating it.
Yeah folks from work always asks me a bout the game. Once in a while we get the weird "I heard.." and I'm all "Uh ... no I think I would have noticed that."

It's weird.

I'm on the west/NW side of the metro so yes, similar experience.

Purdue has less than 3,000 tickets left for home game against Northwestern this week. Projected 32 degree day in West Lafayette. Stadium holds 61,000. We'll see what it looks like on TV

Purdue has less than 3,000 tickets left for home game against Northwestern this week. Projected 32 degree day in West Lafayette. Stadium holds 61,000. We'll see what it looks like on TV
And I posted last week that you could get lower deck tickets for as low as $14 for that game.

I sit right next to the student section. They absolutely get into it.
I'm a student my friend, they really don't. Levels is a great song don't get me wrong, but we can do better than "do the gopher", it's corny now. Personally, I think the "let me clear my throat" bit at the end is wayyy better. The call and response is awesome.

I'm a student my friend, they really don't. Levels is a great song don't get me wrong, but we can do better than "do the gopher", it's corny now. Personally, I think the "let me clear my throat" bit at the end is wayyy better. The call and response is awesome.
I've been at every home game in that stadium. That it is indeed corny is the whole bit. Are you a long term student? The section has a good 25 % turnover every year so maybe some of the seniors in the section might find it getting stale. As a group, a majority are doing it every game.

I've been at every home game in that stadium. That it is indeed corny is the whole bit. Are you a long term student? The section has a good 25 % turnover every year so maybe some of the seniors in the section might find it getting stale. As a group, a majority are doing it every game.
I'm a junior, but I've been a fan my whole life (3rd gen student) and could count on one hand the number of games I've missed at TCF bank. I agree with your point about student turnover and a majority of people still do the dance. However, I still think the media team should dig deeper and find a better fourth-quarter song. They have made great strides in other areas I will say. The pre-kickoff song is awesome. The swaying before the team runs out is my favorite (wish the whole stadium did it). And this version of the ski u mah chant is much better than the one they used to do during the pregame with the flags.

For all my bitching about ticket prices (note, I'm generally not a cheap person, but I think prices here are too high compared to other B1G schools) there are REALLY cheap tickets for the basketball game tomorrow. I got three tickets, 20 rows up or so at center court for $12 each (that includes service fees). For reference, our high school tickets are $7.00 in Wayzata.

I'm a junior, but I've been a fan my whole life (3rd gen student) and could count on one hand the number of games I've missed at TCF bank. I agree with your point about student turnover and a majority of people still do the dance. However, I still think the media team should dig deeper and find a better fourth-quarter song. They have made great strides in other areas I will say. The pre-kickoff song is awesome. The swaying before the team runs out is my favorite (wish the whole stadium did it). And this version of the ski u mah chant is much better than the one they used to do during the pregame with the flags.
YES! Why can't the stadium do the swaying? WHY doesn't the band do the swaying? Honestly - they can do it and still be ready to play the Rouser. I think the end of third quarter is not as good this year. I love the Queen call and response. That's awesome. Thanks for your dedication DDD!

So, did he do anything?

Cheap tix today??
not on the gophersports page at least

I don't know the logistics behind why we don't. Is it because people would just wait last minute to get the cheapest price? Because as of right now I feel as thought they're just wasting potential profit.

Tickets on stubhub have dropped significantly. Upper deck seats (before fees) as low as $27. I suspect the weather has a lot to do with it.

Walking back to our car from Williams arena last night, they were clearing snow at the stadium.

Tickets on stubhub have dropped significantly. Upper deck seats (before fees) as low as $27. I suspect the weather has a lot to do with it.

Walking back to our car from Williams arena last night, they were clearing snow at the stadium.
How much would you pay for a 50/50 chance of being attacked by a Wampa…?

YES! Why can't the stadium do the swaying? WHY doesn't the band do the swaying? Honestly - they can do it and still be ready to play the Rouser. I think the end of third quarter is not as good this year. I love the Queen call and response. That's awesome. Thanks for your dedication DDD!
I actually like that it is a student section only thing.

I actually like that it is a student section only thing.
There are too many things that are students only IMO. Imagine a whole stadium swaying before the team runs out...goosebumps.

Tauntauns are what keep me up at night. Are they carnivores?
Not sure, but based on what their insides look like, I'm not so sure I want to know what they eat.

Top Bottom