Why is the issue of alcohol sales at TCF so difficult to figure out?

norman dale

Lord, grant me one Rose Bowl
Reaction score
Nick Coleman's takes the side of the a scorned season ticket holder and accuses the U of pandering to the elite of alcohol sales are not sold equally to everyone.

http://www.startribune.com/local/35638639.html?elr=KArks:DCiU1PciUoaEYY_4PcUU

Now a physician's group want to further study of the issue of alcohol sales at the stadium on the basis it is huge public health issue.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/35866684.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX

WTF is wrong people !!!!!!!!!

Yes, alcohol use may be a public health issue, especially on college campuses, but this is taking itself way too far IMHO. This is not the forum with which to solve this issue.

If you pay the big donation money or are the benefactor of a corporation's hospitality you should be allowed the perk of having alcohol available. This is typically how is it done at other Division I football stadiums that have suites.

There wasn't this outcry when the Barn lofts were introduced and alcohol was allowed, was there?

Jeez, it's not like people are gonna drink so much that there will be orgies in the bathrooms!

Seriously!?

Why is this such a shock to people? Would I like to be able to drink in the new stadium? Yes. Did I ever think that was an option in the new stadium (without forking over the big bucks? No.

For 55 years, Don Sonsalla and his wife, Verna, have watched hundreds of Minnesota Gophers football games, cheering for old Ski U Mah in the wind and rain and snow at Memorial Stadium during the glory days and -- after the Gophers abandoned the brickyard for the Metrodome -- enduring 25 years of endless mediocrity....So "Doctor Don," who is 77 and lives in White Bear Lake, recently sent an e-mail to Bob Bruininks, the president of the university, and told him it's over. The Sonsallas will not be renewing their season tickets.

After 25 years of having season tickets, you are going to not renew them because you can't have a beer in the new stadium? I don't want to pull the - "what kind of fan are you card?", but seriously? We finally get this beautiful, on-campus stadium, and you'd rather be drinking a $7 beer in the Dome? Guess what? Life isn't fair. Rich people get more advantages and special treatment. As much as I would love, in an ideal world, for people who have season tickets for 25 years to get MORE privileges than people that give hundreds of thousands of dollars...it doesn't work that way. The big donors and people that are buying the expensive seats, are the ones paying for stadium. You don't have to like it, but you have to accept it. Trust me, I'm not happy about tailgating spots being $2500, but let's face it - there's nothing any of us can do about it. The only thing we can do is continue supporting the team we love, regardless of choices that have been made (and there are a lot of them I haven't approved of). As of now, I can't think of anything that the U could do to make me not get season tickets.

They make flasks for a reason ;)

In all seriousness, if the reason people aren't going to go to the game is alcohol sales, good. That makes your ticket available to me.

I am not on the "public health issue" band wagon regarding alcohol at the new Gopher Statium. However, I agree totally with Nick Coleman. Either they sell beer to everybody, or nobody. I could not care less what other college stadiums do. I didn't know that is what they do at the Barn, and I don't like it one bit. Selling beer only to Gopher fans and supporters who can afford the private suites is incredibly elitist and patently unfair. It may not make other Gopher fans feel like a second class citizen, but I sure feel that way. The U of M and Gopher Stadium are public institutions - not a private county club. It is the principle that is important here.

UpnorthGo4, quick question

At how many, Division 1, on-campus football stadia is beer / wine / liquor available in their general concession areas?

Agree Up North

All or none.

Is that so hard to understand?

Does not matter what Miami or MI Ohion does. We are in MN.

Elitist is on target.

No Good Compromise

Goes unassailed. And as usual the assault come based on a lack of knowledge and halve truths.

The solution to be able to provide alcohol in the new stadium is just that a compromise. It is not based on class but on division of where alchohol can be served and controlled. The U as we all know has two choices: Serve no alcohol to no one anywhere; or fine a way to control the sales of alcohol in a well defined and confined area.

In coming up with what seems to have been a well thought out compromise, the U set it self up to be assailed by anyone with an agenda. In this case that person is Nick Coleman - he'd do anything to cast the stadium in a bad light.

The principal in this may think he was being principled in having his case spelled out in the press, but unfortunately he has been made to look foolish. To suggest a solution that all should be allowed to drink beer, when it is widely known that the NCAA does not provide that as an option is farsical. This man may be wise and respected in other matters, but in this one Coleman played him like a pawn.

Normandale, as I stated above, it doesn't matter to me what they do in other college football statiums. Unless the NCAA governs this issue it only should matter what we do in Minnesota. I say again, either everyone of legal drinking age should be allowed the privilege of buying a beer, or nobody should. Reasonable people can disagree on this issue. I come down on the side of equality, fairness, and my desire to have a beer at Gopher football games just like I have ever since they moved to the Dome.

Nick Coleman is gayer than the volleyball scene from Top Gun, and this state would be better off not having to read his garbage, nor should we have look at the picture of him in that turtle neck his boyfriend bought him for xmas when we decide to read the Strib once a month.

Everybody has the right

To go out and earn whatever living they desire to achieve access to whatever comforts they desire. There is no protected group of individuals being harmed by this policy. It is a good and fair policy that is accessible to anyone with the FINANCIAL means to get there. There is no discrimination that violates a law or really any sense of fairness. You wanta beer go get the means to get the greens to get that tasty beverage.

Normandale's point is that in order to get any alcohol service at a stadium, the NCAA has very specific requirements. The answer to his question is none offer beer, wine or liquor sales in general consessions area.

The NCAA DOES GOVERN this issue; The University of Minnesota is attempting to offer a compromise based on the rules set forth by the NCAA. The choice here has never been all or nothing. Alcohol service to all was never part of the equation. Nothing is always an option, and the only other choice is limited service in areas that have restricted physical access.

Normandale, as I stated above, it doesn't matter to me what they do in other college football statiums. Unless the NCAA governs this issue it only should matter what we do in Minnesota. I say again, either everyone of legal drinking age should be allowed the privilege of buying a beer, or nobody should. Reasonable people can disagree on this issue. I come down on the side of equality, fairness, and my desire to have a beer at Gopher football games just like I have ever since they moved to the Dome.

I am not on the "public health issue" band wagon regarding alcohol at the new Gopher Statium. However, I agree totally with Nick Coleman. Either they sell beer to everybody, or nobody. I could not care less what other college stadiums do. I didn't know that is what they do at the Barn, and I don't like it one bit. Selling beer only to Gopher fans and supporters who can afford the private suites is incredibly elitist and patently unfair. It may not make other Gopher fans feel like a second class citizen, but I sure feel that way. The U of M and Gopher Stadium are public institutions - not a private county club. It is the principle that is important here.

It looks like there are public and private/business aspects to this desision. If the U is not a private country club why would they built private boxes at their new stadium? Perhaps because people have paid for that privacy and privilege?? Should fans feel like secondhand citizens (the huddled masses) and think that its unfair looking up at those in the private suites sitting in spacious seats. I once heard, in response to a classmate's comment that, "that's not fair to the poor!" an economics professor say, "nothing is fair to the poor(er)." Thats life, its not just and its not fair, but it can still be a lot of fun.

But McGopherFan, are you saying that by being born in this country I am not entitled to the same benefits as everyone else??? Man, that is unfair!!! I mean, if I didn't want to put forth the time and effort to be more successful than the average person, I should still get rewarded as if I did!!!! Life is so unfair!! Hopefully the government will step in here and provide free liquor for everyone.

A good test for someone in deciding in how to manage their thoughts would be to read whatever Nick Coleman writes, and just think the opposite, before you start believing anything he writes and turning our great country into some extension of Europe.

brother

I want to sit on the fifty and I want...... Nicky is a communist.

There is no protected group of individuals being harmed by this policy. It is a good and fair policy that is accessible to anyone with the FINANCIAL means to get there.

Agreed. Nobody is being discriminated against. The NCAA recommends "to prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages during all preseason, regular season, conference and postseason intercollegiate athletic events. Alcoholic beverages should not be sold or otherwise made available for public consumption in the athletics facility during intercollegiate athletics events." The compromise is making it available in a not-so-public location, i.e. private seating.

If people want to complain and not renew their tickets, fine. I'll laugh and move my way up the priority list.

The U of M had to go to the state legislature to get special permission to serve alcohol in the suites at Williams Arena, Mariucci Arena, Northrup Auditorium and The Campus Club in Coffman Memorial Union. It is otherwise not permitted to sell alcohol on campus. The Metrodome being off campus was not subject to this rule. However, being back on campus the new stadium is subject to this rule.

The U of M campaigned for allowing it on these sites because they had to compete with other stadiums and arena's in the twin cities for events and for suite sales. Not having beer and wine put them at a disadvantage against for competing for corporate dollars where certainly in my industry (Investment Banking) it is the norm to have alcoholic beverages at client entertainment. The legislature allowed it because the University of Minnesota could keep it constrained.

Sarcasm noted

But, no life is actually a lot more fair than people think. Work hard = get the benies. Take the common path = pick from what everybody who does that gets to pick from. Do nothing = get what others are generous enough to give. Have tough time - get help, better yourself and pick again which result you want - benies, a common life, or leftovers.

In other words by being born in this country you are entitled to a right to choose which path you take. That is guaranteed. That is fair. The results of those choices are not guaranteed. The results are what they are fair or unfair. If you are doing something you love, that is your benefit. Not everybody loves what they do. There is no guarantee that what you love will get you to the stadium suite.

I love what I do. It gets me $275 tickets, and that is all I need. Sometimes I get to have popcorn and sometimes I have to split a coke at the game. Fair enough.

But McGopherFan, are you saying that by being born in this country I am not entitled to the same benefits as everyone else??? Man, that is unfair!!! I mean, if I didn't want to put forth the time and effort to be more successful than the average person, I should still get rewarded as if I did!!!! Life is so unfair!! Hopefully the government will step in here and provide free liquor for everyone.

A good test for someone in deciding in how to manage their thoughts would be to read whatever Nick Coleman writes, and just think the opposite, before you start believing anything he writes and turning our great country into some extension of Europe.

The answer to "why" here is simple, it's to keep more demand for the premium seating. These seats are going to be a huge part of the U's financial gain by moving into the new stadium, so by allowing alcohol in these sections they're keeping the demand higher and ensuring financial security. For those who feel this is unfair, are you also upset that you won't have a heater blowing warm air on to your feet, and a TV built into the seat in front of you? Because the rich people in the suites will get climate control and TV's too. Where is the outrage there?

"The Sonsallas will not be renewing their season tickets."

Great! Maybe I'll get their seats!!!!!!

I just want to watch football

From a chair with a back to rest against. Is there anything wrong with that?

The answer to "why" here is simple, it's to keep more demand for the premium seating. These seats are going to be a huge part of the U's financial gain by moving into the new stadium, so by allowing alcohol in these sections they're keeping the demand higher and ensuring financial security. For those who feel this is unfair, are you also upset that you won't have a heater blowing warm air on to your feet, and a TV built into the seat in front of you? Because the rich people in the suites will get climate control and TV's too. Where is the outrage there?

Shouldn't someone who spends $500 for a ticket have advantages over someone who spends $50? I don't get what the complaint is.

why is this an issue now

it has been like this at Williams and at Marriucci for years - Nick wants to pontificate on this now? why? just to raise a ruckus? what an A hole - sorry but this is just not an issue - the folks who dropped thieir tix over this seem to me to be looking for an excuse as to why they did not renew and wanted to blame someone - good riddance - we all just moved up two spots on the season ticket ranking - as a matter of fact I'm headed to web site right now to confirm I moved up and to see if my projected seats changed! - Oh and for you Nick - stay over in St. Paul where you belong! We don't seem to have any of these issues coming from the Pioneer Press

You can serve beer

The NCAA only "recommends" no beer sales but they don't require it. Syracuse sells beer in an on-campus area to all fans for football and basketball so don't say it is an NCAA "rule" or limited to "private seating".

If the U doesn't want to make six figures selling beer each year, fine. Just don't come to me for extra donations if short on money. I'll just bring in a flask and be happy to be outside watching Gopher football with a buzz.

I am so sick of people thinking they are always treated unfairly. I would expect those premium seats to get things that I will not paying $275 per seat. I won't get access to the DQ Club room, should I complain saying it's unfair to poor little me?? :rolleyes: What about the bench seats I might get vs the seatback chairs? How unfair that I pay the same, but have no backs on my seats?? :rolleyes:

I'm so sick of people thinking they are "entitled" to get everything for nothing. Move to Europe if you like that!

I've never thought is was a big deal that beer was sold in Mariucci in the club level when I am sitting in section 17. I'm too busy watching the game and had enough beer already at Sallys.

Re: Nick Coleman

How far along is Nick in the sex change process, anyway?

When I was at the U in 1979

We would sneak our alcohol in via a wineskin.

Look, if you want alcohol, there are ways to get it into the stadium.

Being lectured to by a half-wit like Nick Coleman is laughable. The dweeb is so far out of touch
with reality his only chance at holding a job would be at the Strib. They're about right for each
other. The U needs to make money and liquor sales to those willing to pay the big bucks is part
of the big picture. He didn't say anything about our 30 years in the Dump where we were raped
by the Stadium Commission, the queen and the Twins. We are playing catch up.

Nick Coleman's takes the side of the a scorned season ticket holder and accuses the U of pandering to the elite of alcohol sales are not sold equally to everyone.

http://www.startribune.com/local/35638639.html?elr=KArks:DCiU1PciUoaEYY_4PcUU

Now a physician's group want to further study of the issue of alcohol sales at the stadium on the basis it is huge public health issue.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/35866684.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX

WTF is wrong people !!!!!!!!!

Yes, alcohol use may be a public health issue, especially on college campuses, but this is taking itself way too far IMHO. This is not the forum with which to solve this issue.

If you pay the big donation money or are the benefactor of a corporation's hospitality you should be allowed the perk of having alcohol available. This is typically how is it done at other Division I football stadiums that have suites.

There wasn't this outcry when the Barn lofts were introduced and alcohol was allowed, was there?

Jeez, it's not like people are gonna drink so much that there will be orgies in the bathrooms!

word on the street is this physician's group who is complaining about alcohol sales are a bunch of becky grads! :rolleyes:

switch it up

Make everyone who wants to enter the stadium bong 3-free-beers. You can buy your way out for $1,000 per beer.

Just an idea

Question: "Shouldn't someone who spends $500 for a ticket have advantages over someone who spends $50? I don't get what the complaint is."

The answer is NO. My tax dollars, tuition dollars, and season tickets go to support the U of M and their athletic facilities. I want to be treated like everyone else that uses those facilities. There absolutely should be no class system or caste system at The Brick based on ticket prices or anything else. This is the Unitied States of America. There should be equal access to public faciities. They only do it because people let them get away with it. If Harvey McKay can have a f*cking beer at Gopher football games, I want one too. If they are not going to let me have one, then screw everyone in the private suites! This is a pile of B.S. and I will never agree that it is the right thing to do.

Top Bottom