Why Is Everyone So Excited?

Apparently some of these posters are drooling at saying he hasn't done anything and that they can keep saying it until the season starts about 8 months from now....

It is simply that the over the top stuff is a little too much for some that dont think it is totally necessary. Sorry you love anyone that is exciting but some of us are going to wait and see if he can field a good team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

Count me in as not understanding why everyone is so excited. We are coming off a 9 win season. Best in a decade. Now we hire a coach who has had 1 better season as a HC in a lower conference and he is flipping some of his recruits and everyone is pitching their tents we like hired Urban Meyer and he is flipping his recruits from OSU. Wake up people. We just hired a DC who's defense was 74th last year. That's not even a downward trend that is falling off the cliff from us being 20th last year.

Fleck may just work out to be a great coach. No one knows. Call me cautiously optimistic he can coach and he isn't just Brewster.

You should stop posting on the subject, you sound remarkably ignorant. Sawvel has had ONE season as a DC against a very weak schedule. Smith has had 2 years of top 10 defenses yet you only look at last year when comparing the two. Unbelievable.

I watched the replay of the basketball game, when they asked him how he was doing PJ Fleck responded he is doing "Elite". Kind of a strange response.

The point wasn't so much the plates and being part of the halftime entertainment, it is that he should be a little more guarded and not put himself out there so much. You don't always have to be on display or an entertainer.

Reusse and some media are already calling him a lunatic and that he spews more BS than a fire hydrant.

I like put himself out there.

Is anything going to get accomplished by him burying his head in the sand.

Follow Trumps lead, make Minnesota Elite again

I hear you. I am a substance over style guy myself. Claeys and Kill were both substance over style. Right now Fleck is style over substance and it is one cliche after another. He had to stop himself from sounding exactly like Brew and saying gopher nation. He at least has some substance to him though and has proven he can coach so he will get a pass for now but if he cant produce here then his style will become even more irritating to me.

I disagree that Kill was substance over style. In fact, quite the opposite. He was much more about his folksy style and "succeed against all odds" outlook than Xs and Os. His unique style sold the program in his own way...a good quality as a head coach. Claeys, on the other hand, was all substance over style as a successful defensive coordinator. It was yet to be proven whether he had any lasting substance as a head coach, however, given the lackluster recruiting (he was coaching mainly Kill's players this year) and lack of public relations. Who knows how it would have ended up?

Yeah, right now Fleck is cringe worthy with his lightweight comments that are all sizzle and no substance. It doesn't help that his bosses are so openly evil.
That being said, I am giving him the opportunity to show what he's made of by putting a competitive team on the field next fall. With the talent he has coming back, there is no way anyone should accept a 1-11 start like he had at Kalamazoo. He has to make a bowl game at minimum and the kids have to show that they want to compete against the big dogs.

What? Lightweight comments with no substance? His record proves out the substance. So, if we just hired an introvert that went 13-0 in the regular season, versus an extrovert, would you be OK with that? Jeez.

What? Lightweight comments with no substance? His record proves out the substance. So, if we just hired an introvert that went 13-0 in the regular season, versus an extrovert, would you be OK with that? Jeez.
His record? He was barely .500 for 3 out of 4 years at Kalamazoo...in the MAC. He had one good year and he bolts for greener pasture.
We'll see whether he does the same thing here.
I'll evaluate him next fall. Until then, he's the coach, no more, no less.

His record? He was barely .500 for 3 out of 4 years at Kalamazoo...in the MAC. He had one good year and he bolts for greener pasture.

Barely .500? The last 3 years Fleck was 6-2, 6-2, and 8-0 with a conference championship in the MAC. Jerry Kill went 5-3, 5-3, 8-0 with no conference championship. Which would you rather have?

OK Tracy

This is a bad post.

Kill and Mason were both well under .500 if you exclude the top 25% of their seasons like you are in your argument. So that would make Fleck a better coach using your logic. Sorry, but this "glass is half empty" thought process gets old for me personally (as does an outgoing aggressive personality also does for you too I suppose).

Kill and Mason were both well under .500 if you exclude the top 25% of their seasons like you are in your argument. So that would make Fleck a better coach using your logic. Sorry, but this "glass is half empty" thought process gets old for me personally (as does an outgoing aggressive personality also does for you too I suppose).
It's neither half empty nor half full. The liquid hasn't even been poured.

LOL, no, Timmy B., I just need to see results at UMN before I kiss the little Flecker's @$$ like ya'll are doing.

There is a middle ground between ripping every move Fleck makes and kissing his ass.

Barely .500? The last 3 years Fleck was 6-2, 6-2, and 8-0 with a conference championship in the MAC. Jerry Kill went 5-3, 5-3, 8-0 with no conference championship. Which would you rather have?

Is your point that PJF's records are much better or virtually the same? Can't tell.

LOL, no, Timmy B., I just need to see results at UMN before I kiss the little Flecker's @$$ like ya'll are doing.

OK Les... I'd be mad I didn't get an interview too....

I wanted TC to stay. PJF was not my first choice. His press conferences & interviews make me throw up in my mouth at times. However, comparisons to Brewster are lazy at best. He clearly has respect from players, fans, and coaches and that speaks volumes. He may fizzle, but I'm willing to give him a shot before declaring that. On on the boat with an oar in hand - for now.

Because Western Michigan's recruiting class was markedly better on paper vs the U.

Other than the fact this is untrue, good point.

Comparing building a football program in the MAC vs one in the B1G is nuts. Especially at a time when the B1G has been progressing into the top NCAA conference.

But whatever. Dif styles between Fleck and Claeys. Claeys is a solid coach, Fleck is a holler monkey who "inspires". I guess we'll see

Comparing building a football program in the MAC vs one in the B1G is nuts. Especially at a time when the B1G has been progressing into the top NCAA conference.

But whatever. Dif styles between Fleck and Claeys. Claeys is a solid coach, Fleck is a holler monkey who "inspires". I guess we'll see

Claeys wouldn't have had the success at WMU that PJ had if he had been the coach there....

I wanted TC to stay. PJF was not my first choice. His press conferences & interviews make me throw up in my mouth at times. However, comparisons to Brewster are lazy at best. He clearly has respect from players, fans, and coaches and that speaks volumes. He may fizzle, but I'm willing to give him a shot before declaring that. On on the boat with an oar in hand - for now.

I agree. I started this thread because I am not nearly as optimistic as most.

Nevertheless, I was at the basketball game where Brewster was introduced and he spoke at halftime and my gut feel immediately was fraud. I bumped into him at the Downtime bar below the Dinkydome a few weeks later and he was drunk with a monstrous chew in his mouth and accidentally spit all over my face as he was extolling the virtues of our returning defense that was garbage. I remember thinking this guy is in way over his head.

I do not get that feeling with Fleck. I actually feel inspired when he speaks (press conference and OSU halftime).

Claeys wouldn't have had the success at WMU that PJ had if he had been the coach there....

Huh? How the hell would you know? This statement is like a Cardinal fan proclaiming to "play the game the right way". And the right way is whatever they make up

You want to throw up in your mouth?

Huh? How the hell would you know? This statement is like a Cardinal fan proclaiming to "play the game the right way". And the right way is whatever they make up

I got in my time machine and went back and made it happen. Then I went back again and fixed it again. I'm not surprised you don't remember it.

I agree. I started this thread because I am not nearly as optimistic as most.

Nevertheless, I was at the basketball game where Brewster was introduced and he spoke at halftime and my gut feel immediately was fraud. I bumped into him at the Downtime bar below the Dinkydome a few weeks later and he was drunk with a monstrous chew in his mouth and accidentally spit all over my face as he was extolling the virtues of our returning defense that was garbage. I remember thinking this guy is in way over his head.

I do not get that feeling with Fleck. I actually feel inspired when he speaks (press conference and OSU halftime).

Probably not funny when it occurred, but sure got me laughing.

There is a middle ground between ripping every move Fleck makes and kissing his ass.
Which is what I am taking. Fleck hasn't done anything yet. I give him next season to show what he can do at UMN.

I don't think he would have success here next year. I would be there as usual probably surrounded by only 20,000 Gopher fans. The rest of the seats would be empty or filled with opposing fans. It still could be that way. Cynicism and apathy are the trademark of Minnesota fans.

Row the Boat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much debate about recruiting.

We can debate that come next year when we get to see what PJ & Co. can do with time to recruit.

I am for the Fleck move. I just don't get how we can state how great of a head coach Claeys was.

The staff he didn't hire he inherited. Expect for the offense this year which got worse. Most of the players as well. His one recruiting class was also worse.

Claeys is a good to great coordinator that is all I can say.

Basically it all comes down to what you want in a head coach. I want a face of the program and leave the Xs and Os to the coordinators.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom