Why Is Everyone So Excited?

Hope springs eternal during the offseason for many sports.

I am disappointed Claeys was fired as I felt the program was heading in the right direction. That being said, PJ Fleck will be able to recruit based on the press conference. Very captivating for young people.

The GopherHole has abhorred Kill/Claeys recruiting because they signed many kids that only had MAC offers. We flip 6+ kids committed to a MAC school and everyone is elated. Help me understand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because we all saw how well Tim Brewster did with this same approach and we are all eager to reach those high levels again.

Because we all saw how well Tim Brewster did with this same approach and we are all eager to reach those high levels again.

What? How is this the same approach as Brewster?

Because it's not about X's and O's it's about Johnnies and Joes. Rowin' the boat with a cup of hot chili.

Count me in as not understanding why everyone is so excited. We are coming off a 9 win season. Best in a decade. Now we hire a coach who has had 1 better season as a HC in a lower conference and he is flipping some of his recruits and everyone is pitching their tents we like hired Urban Meyer and he is flipping his recruits from OSU. Wake up people. We just hired a DC who's defense was 74th last year. That's not even a downward trend that is falling off the cliff from us being 20th last year.

Fleck may just work out to be a great coach. No one knows. Call me cautiously optimistic he can coach and he isn't just Brewster.

Count me in as not understanding why everyone is so excited. We are coming off a 9 win season. Best in a decade. Now we hire a coach who has had 1 better season as a HC in a lower conference and he is flipping some of his recruits and everyone is pitching their tents we like hired Urban Meyer and he is flipping his recruits from OSU. Wake up people. We just hired a DC who's defense was 74th last year. That's not even a downward trend that is falling off the cliff from us being 20th last year.

Fleck may just work out to be a great coach. No one knows. Call me cautiously optimistic he can coach and he isn't just Brewster.

And quick Google search will clearly show he's not Brewster.

And quick Google search will clearly show he's not Brewster.

Time will tell.

In reality he is way more qualified than Brewster was and it's a slightly ridiculous comparison. But the comparison can be made since he is a cocky, big talker, flashy, recruiter. Just saying he hasn't done anything to get my chili hot yet. If he can at a minimum keep the program from taking a step back I'll be happy. But so far looking at the numbers that may be tough to do.

I am disappointed Claeys was fired as I felt the program was heading in the right direction. That being said, PJ Fleck will be able to recruit based on the press conference. Very captivating for young people.

The GopherHole has abhorred Kill/Claeys recruiting because they signed many kids that only had MAC offers. We flip 6+ kids committed to a MAC school and everyone is elated. Help me understand?

Because Western Michigan's recruiting class was markedly better on paper vs the U (Which should never happen). The type of MAC recruits Tracy was after are a lot different compared to Fleck's MAC commits. Comparing Claeys MAC recruits to Fleck's is like comparing Rutgers B1G recruits to Ohio States B1G recruits.

Instead of having a sumo wrestler for a head coach, we now have a coach who's nearly as fit as Soupcan!

Instead of having a sumo wrestler for a head coach, we now have a coach who's nearly as fit as Soupcan!

Didn't like that he looked like an organ monkey grinder tossing plates at the basketball game last night at halftime. You don't always have to be on a stage or providing "3 second poses". The poses like Sean William Scott or the "Steve Stiffler" character from American Pie and the two thumbs up can go away.

Basement Brewster was in shape like Soupcan too, doesn't speak to much. So far this guy spews as many cliche's as basement Brewster. He may be a confident guy, but I hope he doesn't make the same mistakes as Brewster.
Basement Brew cleaned house with the whole coaching staff and didn't retain anybody, didn't help recruiting and he didn't help recruit the existing squad doing that.

Basement Brew also spent a bunch of time remodeling the offices, buying new TV's, artwork and such for the football offices when he first got here, not exactly the first thing a new coach should prioritize.

People are beatdown with Gopher football and conditioned to expect big promises with little results. Can't help that a few people are skeptical of the big sayings and high energy stuff. Especially since this new coach indicated like Brewster that he isn't much of the X's and O's type, he is the CEO and expects everyone else to strategize and know the X's and O's.

Because Western Michigan's recruiting class was markedly better on paper vs the U (Which should never happen). The type of MAC recruits Tracy was after are a lot different compared to Fleck's MAC commits. Comparing Claeys MAC recruits to Fleck's is like comparing Rutgers B1G recruits to Ohio States B1G recruits.

Markedly better? I know that going by star rankings or dots isn't the whole story, but the WMU recruits that have flipped to MN are nice pick ups, but they are not markedly better than the ones who were verbally committed here. Our Ave. star rating would be going way up if they were markedly better.

Didn't like that he looked like an organ monkey grinder tossing plates at the basketball game last night at halftime. You don't always have to be on a stage or providing "3 second poses". The poses like Sean William Scott or the "Steve Stiffler" character from American Pie and the two thumbs up can go away.

Basement Brewster was in shape like Soupcan too, doesn't speak to much. So far this guy spews as many cliche's as basement Brewster. He may be a confident guy, but I hope he doesn't make the same mistakes as Brewster.
Basement Brew cleaned house with the whole coaching staff and didn't retain anybody, didn't help recruiting and he didn't help recruit the existing squad doing that.

Basement Brew also spent a bunch of time remodeling the offices, buying new TV's, artwork and such for the football offices when he first got here, not exactly the first thing a new coach should prioritize.

People are beatdown with Gopher football and conditioned to expect big promises with little results. Can't help that a few people are skeptical of the big sayings and high energy stuff. Especially since this new coach indicated like Brewster that he isn't much of the X's and O's type, he is the CEO and expects everyone else to strategize and know the X's and O's.

Didn't like the way he looked tossing plates. That's a new one.

Fleck may fail miserably here at Minnesota still doesn't and won't make him Basement Brew 2.0

People need to move on from that comparison. Fleck has been a HC at a FBS school. Something Brewster did not have any experience as before getting the Minnesota job.

Fleck may fail miserably here at Minnesota still doesn't and won't make him Basement Brew 2.0

People need to move on from that comparison. Fleck has been a HC at a FBS school. Something Brewster did not have any experience as before getting the Minnesota job.

That's only 1 difference. People have laid out multiple similarities...

I watched the replay of the basketball game, when they asked him how he was doing PJ Fleck responded he is doing "Elite". Kind of a strange response.

The point wasn't so much the plates and being part of the halftime entertainment, it is that he should be a little more guarded and not put himself out there so much. You don't always have to be on display or an entertainer.

Reusse and some media are already calling him a lunatic and that he spews more BS than a fire hydrant.

and people still need to move on regardless.

and you don't have to come here and read what people are posting. Good luck getting people to move on. Until Fleck stops acting like a WWE performer, or is wildly successful i think this comparison will stick for a while.

I watched the replay of the basketball game, when they asked him how he was doing PJ Fleck responded he is doing "Elite". Kind of a strange response.

The point wasn't so much the plates and being part of the halftime entertainment, it is that he should be a little more guarded and not put himself out there so much. You don't always have to be on display or an entertainer.

Reusse and some media are already calling him a lunatic and that he spews more BS than a fire hydrant.

Why should he have to be guarded. Fleck has already said this is who he is. Yes - it's going to put some people off. Too many people acting like he will be failure because they don't like the way he looks tossing plates, puts himself out there.

He is going to be here for the foreseeable future. If PJ Fleck bothers you that much you would better off just ignoring him and his team all together. It sounds like when watching a game this fall you probably won't like how he acts on the sidelines either.

Why should he have to be guarded. Fleck has already said this is who he is. Yes - it's going to put some people off. Too many people acting like he will be failure because they don't like the way he looks tossing plates, puts himself out there and on display.

He is going to be here for the foreseeable future. If PJ Fleck bothers you that much you would better off just ignoring him and his team all together. It sounds like when watching a game this fall you probably won't like how he acts on the sidelines either.
The reason I said be more guarded is because others will use some of that stuff against the coach even if he doesn't see it that way.
I care less about his antics, and sayings and more about the hires and how they recruit(future) and keep some of the current players. I was excited about the hiring, still think he can sell the players, but I already know a lot of people that dislike his schtick, one's that I was hoping would go back in on season tickets. Can't blame them if they are skeptics, we saw the same sizzle without the steak under Brewster.

Time will tell.

In reality he is way more qualified than Brewster was and it's a slightly ridiculous comparison. But the comparison can be made since he is a cocky, big talker, flashy, recruiter. Just saying he hasn't done anything to get my chili hot yet. If he can at a minimum keep the program from taking a step back I'll be happy. But so far looking at the numbers that may be tough to do.

Sounds like Bert. Wouldn't call him flashy tho...:p Maybe trashy? I love that PJ took his DC...if he has a great year we can hammer Bert even more. Priceless...

Not true. WMU had roughly twice as many recruits, which completed skewed that ranking. WMU is now ranked 85th with 16 recruits. PJ basically flipped the top 3 star WMU recruits.

Sounds like you listened to Common today...

His job isn't to please the media. If recruits and players love him, I really don't care what he does at halftime of a basketball game. He is who he is and should continue to be that person. In the end it is all about results on the field. He's the new coach, he needs to be "out there" as much as possible. The program needs excitement right now.

Reusse would have something bad to say no matter who was hired. It's his thing. And people continue to fall for it.

I hear you. I am a substance over style guy myself. Claeys and Kill were both substance over style. Right now Fleck is style over substance and it is one cliche after another. He had to stop himself from sounding exactly like Brew and saying gopher nation. He at least has some substance to him though and has proven he can coach so he will get a pass for now but if he cant produce here then his style will become even more irritating to me.

#coacheslivesmatter

Yeah, right now Fleck is cringe worthy with his lightweight comments that are all sizzle and no substance. It doesn't help that his bosses are so openly evil.
That being said, I am giving him the opportunity to show what he's made of by putting a competitive team on the field next fall. With the talent he has coming back, there is no way anyone should accept a 1-11 start like he had at Kalamazoo. He has to make a bowl game at minimum and the kids have to show that they want to compete against the big dogs.

Yeah, right now Fleck is cringe worthy with his lightweight comments that are all sizzle and no substance.
It's been four days with no practices and no games. What type of substance were you hoping for?

It's been four days with no practices and no games. What type of substance were you hoping for?

Apparently some of these posters are drooling at saying he hasn't done anything and that they can keep saying it until the season starts about 8 months from now....

Apparently some of these posters are drooling at saying he hasn't done anything and that they can keep saying it until the season starts about 8 months from now....

Basically like kids pouting. Some of these folks are literally going to split in half next year hoping that they can say, "I told you," and getting a chance to continue ragging on Coyle while at the same time wanting the Gophers to win.

Great point! I believe some of will do just that because apparently they have no employment and no life in general! Quite sad.

Top Bottom