Why Is Everyone So Excited?

But we may simply have to agree to disagree, because I doubt either of us has the time or desire to do the research needed to prove our side. My guess though, is that there is a good article out there somewhere laying out the evidence of what I'm saying.

Here is my research. He is 0-0 as a P5 coach and 2-7 vs the B1G as a head coach. Now what proof do you have that he is successful at our level? There really isn't anything else out there.

Here is my research. He is 0-0 as a P5 coach and 2-7 vs the B1G as a head coach. Now what proof do you have that he is successful at our level? There really isn't anything else out there.

I think you've made your point, now are you done being a Richard about it?

What did Nick Saban prove before being hired at Michigan State. Your point is stupid because he hasn't coached a game yet and you're trying to criticize him by comparing him to Brewster because of it.

What did Nick Saban prove before being hired at Michigan State. Your point is stupid because he hasn't coached a game yet and you're trying to criticize him by comparing him to Brewster because of it.

You are the one who said he has already proven he can coach at this level. This is all because of you.

You are the one who said he has already proven he can coach at this level. This is all because of you.

He has he went 13-0 at a MAC school beating two big ten teams after taking over a mediocre program.

He has he went 13-0 at a MAC school beating two big ten teams after taking over a mediocre program.

Key words. How has he proven to be successful at our level? Or are you just wanting to say the Gophers are at the MAC level?

giphy.gif

I am disappointed Claeys was fired as I felt the program was heading in the right direction. That being said, PJ Fleck will be able to recruit based on the press conference. Very captivating for young people.

The GopherHole has abhorred Kill/Claeys recruiting because they signed many kids that only had MAC offers. We flip 6+ kids committed to a MAC school and everyone is elated. Help me understand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because it is not about us baby boomers anymore. Its about jacking the hell out of young people with hope and flipping recruits with stars. Stars that are awarded by people who watch high school highlights. If it works then Coyle is a god and Fleck is a great coach. If it goes south, an excuse will be found and everyone is fired and the next model of coach will be hired. Brewster was a great recruiter and if people want to look back, Kill and his staff/Cleays did a good job as well. Its all about saying the right things and getting those stars, period. Hope it all works out.

PJ isn't Brewster.

But PJ is still a just a successful MAC coach as far as his resume goes.

Let's talk about something more fun - like bunions, or religion, or the smell of septic tanks.

Let's talk about something more fun - like bunions, or religion, or the smell of septic tanks.

You don't have to read or contribute to this thread. This thread is about not being excited.

You don't have to read or contribute to this thread. This thread is about not being excited.

And you have proven to a dpodoll level that you not excited about Fleck. You have made your case, and you are right, nobody can prove you wrong until Fleck actually has a chance to start coaching games so congrats I guess....you win?

And you have proven to a dpodoll level that you not excited about Fleck. You have made your case, and you are right, nobody can prove you wrong until Fleck actually has a chance to start coaching games so congrats I guess....you win?

I wasn't debating this with you, but I appreciate your gratitude.

And for the record it's not that I'm not excited about Fleck, I'm just disappointed in the whole situation and how Claeys was let go. By all accounts Fleck was the best coach out there and we got him. That is pretty exciting. But I will not jump on the he is the greatest coach wagon until he actually starts proving himself. In the end I'll still support this program no matter what as I bleed maroon and gold. Even wearing my Ski-U-Mah shirt at work as I type.

Can tell how this already might go for some.

team wins 6 or less games next season - Fleck can't succeed at a P5 school

teams wins 7 or more games next season - doesn't prove Fleck can succeed at a P5 school because it was with players from the previous regime

My expectation is 8 regular season wins, and I could care less whose players win the games. If the Gophs don't get 8, I'll just be disappointed, unless they totally regress, which isn't going to happen.

I'll admit I'm in the boat, but listening to the back and for if Fleck is Brewster or Meyer I was just curious to look at the results Fleck had with WMU vs Wisconsin and how the Gophers compared this year. Apples to apples comparison. I was actually really surprised that the game stats are almost identical. The total yds for each game had WI have 362 identical in both games and WMU and the Gophers were only 5 yds apart (280 for wmu and 286 for MN). the scores; 16 to 24 vs 17 to 31 are close enough to say pretty equal. The 2 distinguishing factors were for the WMU game wisconsin was converting 7 of the 11 third down attempts and crazy averging 12.7 yds per pass( Fumagalli playing out of this world) and for MN 4 interceptions (Liedner island sinking). I think if you change either of those stats for WMU (defending 3rd down) or MN (Liedner being average QB) the final results could have been a W for each.
That said, all the neigh sayers comment that Fleck is recruiting MAC athletes. I think the final stretch of commits may refute that; but even so, WMU with good MAC recruits was able to play Wisconsin even with what was supposed to be our best class/ team in 4 years. I think that says a lot about Fleck. Added to that, after the Holiday Bowl i was curious where we were in recruiting. i think Scout, but could have been Rivals, had U of MN at 75th. I don't think that was going to go up under TC like it has here in the home stretch. Combining on field performance and recruiting from the coaching staff, and more important for the first time in my life in MN the admin actually ponying up resources, I think there is reason to be excited.

I'll admit I'm in the boat, but listening to the back and for if Fleck is Brewster or Meyer I was just curious to look at the results Fleck had with WMU vs Wisconsin and how the Gophers compared this year. Apples to apples comparison. I was actually really surprised that the game stats are almost identical. The total yds for each game had WI have 362 identical in both games and WMU and the Gophers were only 5 yds apart (280 for wmu and 286 for MN). the scores; 16 to 24 vs 17 to 31 are close enough to say pretty equal. The 2 distinguishing factors were for the WMU game wisconsin was converting 7 of the 11 third down attempts and crazy averging 12.7 yds per pass( Fumagalli playing out of this world) and for MN 4 interceptions (Liedner island sinking). I think if you change either of those stats for WMU (defending 3rd down) or MN (Liedner being average QB) the final results could have been a W for each.
That said, all the neigh sayers comment that Fleck is recruiting MAC athletes. I think the final stretch of commits may refute that; but even so, WMU with good MAC recruits was able to play Wisconsin even with what was supposed to be our best class/ team in 4 years. I think that says a lot about Fleck. Added to that, after the Holiday Bowl i was curious where we were in recruiting. i think Scout, but could have been Rivals, had U of MN at 75th. I don't think that was going to go up under TC like it has here in the home stretch. Combining on field performance and recruiting from the coaching staff, and more important for the first time in my life in MN the admin actually ponying up resources, I think there is reason to be excited.

You lost me here...

sorry they were 6 yds apart WMU had 280 yds offense, Gophers had 286 yds of total offense. Sorry to if that was confusing.

Boy, do I really feel foolish now. Clearly didn't quite understand that a 1 yd discrepancy in total yds, or 0.35%, really throws off the greater understanding of the stats. My gratitude for helping to clarify that for those who got lost there on that finer point. On reflection see it makes all the difference now, deeply in your debt Kisarazu to really drive that home for me. Can't say how thankful I am about that.

Boy, do I really feel foolish now. Clearly didn't quite understand that a 1 yd discrepancy in total yds, or 0.35%, really throws off the greater understanding of the stats. My gratitude for helping to clarify that for those who got lost there on that finer point. On reflection see it makes all the difference now, deeply in your debt Kisarazu to really drive that home for me. Can't say how thankful I am about that.

You're welcome. In all seriousness I was going to stop reading your post around that point anyways so no worries about the mistake.

Top Bottom