Why did Wisconsin get Las Vegas over us???

Sorry, but unless it's the Rose Bowl I can't get that indignant about where we go. Matter of fact, Phoenix or Vegas; I give a rat's ass. people are acting like it's the ultimate insult or Coyle committed A.D. malfeasance. I get to watch my favorite football team one more time and I get to decide if I want to make the trip to someplace warm at the end of December. Most people will be fine if seniors opt out, and 99% of the population won't be able to tell you who plays who in a bowl game other than the CFP. It's basically an exhibition game put on by the boosters of a particular city.

Win a 9th game and we’re not in this situation.
What would be the situation, in that case? Are you saying Penn State would not have been allowed to go to the Outback, over 9-3 Gophers?

I doubt you can back that up. But if you can, kudos, and I will just be that much more sad.

We
What would be the situation, in that case? Are you saying Penn State would not have been allowed to go to the Outback, over 9-3 Gophers?

I doubt you can back that up. But if you can, kudos, and I will just be that much more sad.
I do believe a team can’t jump a team 2 wins better. Unless that was dropped with the new process introduced in 2015 or whatever.

We were out there for that game too. Listened to a local sports talk station on drive from Luxor to South Point the next morning. Caller after caller complained about Gopher Fans. "The cheapest people ever! They were looking for $2 tables. They were horrible tippers if they tipped at all! I'm a valet. Was lucky to get $2 when I brought their car!"

Most said to never have the Gophers come out to play here again!

Odd thing was a couple of them said the only people who were as bad as tippers were Badger fans. ;)
4455FF2F-5187-4C0F-A86E-A22A3364FAE3.jpeg

The sports editor is. Thanks
Yeah I know and it still sounds stupid every time you use that as some proof that the Strib is biased against the Gophers. Like their bowl prediction for example...

Agreed, his Coyle passively just letting chips fall where they may got us passed over. He should be giving Kevin Warren the business as we speak. We got hosed any way you slice it.
Yeah I am sure we are going to Phoenix because Coyle didn't do enough. Are you being serious right now?

It amazes me the pretzels people will bend themselves into to to prove a narrative that makes zero sense.

They have tiers of bowls and winning 1-2 more games would have possibly put them up a tier. Not sure of logistics of it.

Hard to justify a 9 and 7 win team in the same tier.

Last edited:

I do believe a team can’t jump a team 2 wins better. Unless that was dropped with the new process introduced in 2015 or whatever.
They have tiers of bowls and winning 1-2 more games would have possibly put them up a tier. Not sure of logistics of it.

Hard to justify a 9 and 7 win team in the same tier.
Then why was 6-6 Maryland allowed to jump us for the Pinstripe bowl?

Or do you not feel that is a valid comparison? It probably isn't, but what say you there?

Attendance. No one wants to go to New York, so is it really a jump?
I don't follow you.

Outback - would not be allowed to select a 7-5 team over a 9-3 team, because rules forbid it

Pinstripe - is allowed to select a 6-6 team over a 8-5 team, because ... ???

Then why was 6-6 Maryland allowed to jump us for the Pinstripe bowl?

Or do you not feel that is a valid comparison? It probably isn't, but what say you there?

They played WVU in the non-conference. Really though....the Pinstripe and Rate Bowl are on the same "tier". So I don't really feel like the Gophers got "jumped" here. WVU is probably a better team than Virginia Tech (ACC was ASS this year....and WVU beat V Tech head to head).

They played WVU in the non-conference. Really though....the Pinstripe and Rate Bowl are on the same "tier". So I don't really feel like the Gophers got "jumped" here. WVU is probably a better team than Virginia Tech (ACC was ASS this year....and WVU beat V Tech head to head).
Sorry, I'm dumb. I'm still not following.

You're saying that 7-5 would not be allowed over 9-3 team, if that decision would force the 9-3 team to go to a lower tier bowl?

Seems very complicated ..... how would they know? Also, how would they know if Vegas was going to select 8-4 Wisc or 8-4 Minn? Etc.

I don't follow you.

Outback - would not be allowed to select a 7-5 team over a 9-3 team, because rules forbid it

Pinstripe - is allowed to select a 6-6 team over a 8-5 team, because ... ???
Because they’re deemed in the same tier. I assume that the conference put every team that didn’t win 10 games in the same tier and let the bowls pick. Had we had 9 or 10 wins we would have been in a better tier likely.

If I’m a bowl the last player I want involved in my game is none other than graham mertz.

Because they’re deemed in the same tier. I assume that the conference put every team that didn’t win 10 games in the same tier and let the bowls pick. Had we had 9 or 10 wins we would have been in a better tier likely.
That was only one bowl, though. Iowa was the only team left that was ranked, and so they got the Citrus.

So OK, say we won BG and Illinois and ended up ranked top 25, but Iowa still had the tie-breaker and went to Indy.

They put Iowa and Gophers in the "same tier" and let Citrus pick. Citrus picks Iowa.

Now what? We're right back in the same tier, again, and the rest of the bowls give us the middle finger.

You're saying that 7-5 would not be allowed over 9-3 team, if that decision would force the 9-3 team to go to a lower tier bowl?

Seems very complicated ..... how would they know? Also, how would they know if Vegas was going to select 8-4 Wisc or 8-4 Minn? Etc.
Say Mn won 9 or 10 games. They may have offered Iowa and Mn to the Citrus and Outback bowls.

Say Mn won 9 or 10 games. They may have offered Iowa and Mn to the Citrus and Outback bowls.
See post above.

I don't see why Outback would get lumped in like that, when it wasn't this time. I think you're being arbitrary and dreaming.

But, you could be right. I can't disprove it, of course.

That's the way I see it. Guaranteed Rate/Pinstripe are the lowest tier. Vegas/Music City are a tier above. Citrus/Outback are the highest tier outside of the CFP and other NY6 games.

Guaranteed Rate and Pinstripe are interchangeable here. Big Ten chose to put MN in Arizona against WVU because Maryland played them earlier in the year. Either way we would have played a 6-6 opponent.

Sorry, but unless it's the Rose Bowl I can't get that indignant about where we go. Matter of fact, Phoenix or Vegas; I give a rat's ass. people are acting like it's the ultimate insult or Coyle committed A.D. malfeasance. I get to watch my favorite football team one more time and I get to decide if I want to make the trip to someplace warm at the end of December. Most people will be fine if seniors opt out, and 99% of the population won't be able to tell you who plays who in a bowl game other than the CFP. It's basically an exhibition game put on by the boosters of a particular city.

Not "indignant" at all. Only irritation is that the opponents record, not the Bowl. Probably means you won't get a Top 25 ranking for either school afterwards. Not WVU itself either. They beat a couple of teams that were ranked at the time. A 7-6 record certainly won't get them ranked. 9-4 Gophers? Possibly, but they'll need a LOT of help. They are ranked 29th in both AP & Coaches, but they are 91 votes out of 25th in the AP and 129 out in the Coaches.

Oh you need to take a mulligan for that "exhibition game" take. Post Season records count in College Football. The Gophers will be either 9-4 or 8-5 after the season not 8-4.

Nobody refers to the 2019 Gophers as being a 10-2 team or the 2003 team being 9-3. They were 11-3 and 10-3. Gopher fans also remember the Gophers beating Alabama and #25 Arkansas in minor bowl games.

Those teams ended-up ranked 10 and 17 respectively. That felt good. Being ranked this year would feel good too.

Fun fact: The West Virginian Times newspaper yesterday published an on-line article with the headline that WV would be facing Wisconsin in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. The photo accompanying the article also made reference to WV facing Wisconsin. I took a screen grab of the headline and photo with the Wisconsin references, but it is apparently too big to upload to GH(?).

The body of the article, however, referred to Minnesota, not Wisconsin. And the on-line article today has a corrected headline and photo referring to Minnesota.

I am happy that the Gophers are going to a warm weather bowl. WV is a worthy opponent. Teams that bitch about the bowl they got invited to seem often to lose. I hope the Gopher team is happy and fully engaged to play in Phoenix. But the weirdness of this headline snafu makes me think there must have been some last minute jockeying for position and the inexplicable BG loss bit us one more time. Or maybe we were outmaneuvered?

It doesn’t matter, really. We are in a bowl—let’s win.

Last edited:

My thoughts are that Purdue or Wisconsin could have jumped MN to the Outback Bowl, but they couldn't have dropped the Gophers all the way down to the bottom tier bowls....because that would have meant jumping Penn State over them.

Too bad that the BG game is what ended up screwing the Gophers in the end.

That's the way I see it. Guaranteed Rate/Pinstripe are the lowest tier. Vegas/Music City are a tier above. Citrus/Outback are the highest tier outside of the CFP and other NY6 games.

Guaranteed Rate and Pinstripe are interchangeable here. Big Ten chose to put MN in Arizona against WVU because Maryland played them earlier in the year. Either way we would have played a 6-6 opponent.
Last para: OK, I buy that.

I don't buy that if we finished 9-3, even if ranked in 20-25, that the Big Ten would've (arbitrarily, I think) "lifted" the Outback up into a special tier with the Citrus and only allowed those two to selected between Iowa and Gophers.

That's essentially what it would have to be, for you and Maxy to be correct.

I can't disprove it. Just seems far-fetched to me.

Top Bottom