Who will be hired at Wiscy?

I can't imagine at 65 years old Alvarez will coach anything more than maybe the Rose Bowl. Yes Bill Snyder did it, but that was to lift the program back up, not maintain success.

My hope is that they underestimate the quality of coach they need to be successful. I kind of think that BA thinks anyone could coach that team (if not, why not offer BB more money to stay?). I really hope their next choice proves them wrong.

I was dinking around on some Wisconsin boards yesterday and on Facebook (many Badger friends unfortunately) and saw a couple very serious conversations going on about Bobby Petrino or Jim Tressel with some Badger fans... just realized the link to the board is on my personal laptop at home, but I'll do a little digging right now and see if I can find it. Wonder what Arkansas fans would think of ANY idea of Petrino going to Wisco, hah.

Mike Gundy is not going to Tennessee. Some names circling around are Charlie Strong and Larry Fedora.

I was dinking around on some Wisconsin boards yesterday and on Facebook (many Badger friends unfortunately) and saw a couple very serious conversations going on about Bobby Petrino or Jim Tressel with some Badger fans... just realized the link to the board is on my personal laptop at home, but I'll do a little digging right now and see if I can find it. Wonder what Arkansas fans would think of ANY idea of Petrino going to Wisco, hah.

Zero chance on either. Tressel I believe still has sanctioned on him for a few years and Petrino...no, not at Wisconsin or Big Ten in my opinion.

Zero chance on either. Tressel I believe still has sanctioned on him for a few years and Petrino...no, not at Wisconsin or Big Ten in my opinion.

That's what I thought (re: Tressel). Never thought Petrino had a shot either, but thought it was funny they were entertaining it so heavily. I've just loved watching the Wisconsin fans run around like chickens with their heads cut off after getting this dropped on them... so many Bielema lovers were singing a WAY different song as soon as the news leaked.

They want Chryst, but he's going to stay at Pitt. Al Golden will then be their man, and he will get out of Miami while the gettin's good.

I had just sad this to a buddy today and he seemd to agree with Golden. Not sure what kind of buyout he has, but he is an interesting cantidate...

I heard from a Badger faithful that Chris Peterson (Boise) is in Madtown ... interesting if true.

roumers are free-take it as face value.

I have seen it about 50 times on Wisky boards I have been trolling.

Dungy surfaced on the comments page of an Arkansas newspaper with that "Don't Be Surprised" List I posted yesterday.
Dungy is mentioned everywhere. I laugh because his name surfaces like Where's Waldo?

Al Golden seems like a perfect fit for Wisconsin. That said, I hope he and his family are loving South Beach.

I still think that it will end up being Chryst (who I also think is a good coach).

I just don't think that the Chris Peterson, Jim Tressel or even Petrino make sense.

They're a good program, they'll get a good coach. I hope they mess it up.

Some talk that Alvarez will coach RB to avoid embarrassment if he names an interim coach who then leaves before January 1. Smart move.

It seems like BA was totally caught off guard by this. I wonder if he was not given a chance to match the offer and believed that he would always be given that chance out of loyalty.

I think if they were more prepared your be hearing more talking points that play up the quality of the job, both officially & on background, a PR campaign if you will. There are probably some attractive stats about consecutive bowl games, Xth in the country in wins in the last 20 years, etc.

Some talk that Alvarez will coach RB to avoid embarrassment if he names an interim coach who then leaves before January 1. Smart move.

It seems like BA was totally caught off guard by this. I wonder if he was not given a chance to match the offer and believed that he would always be given that chance out of loyalty.

I think if they were more prepared your be hearing more talking points that play up the quality of the job, both officially & on background, a PR campaign if you will. There are probably some attractive stats about consecutive bowl games, Xth in the country in wins in the last 20 years, etc.

Maybe Alvarez is glad that the son of a bitch is gone.

With the team they've built, they can't really switch to a spread offensive minded coach like Todd Peterson or Butch Jones and not expect some growing pains. I think that's why some people like Darrell Bevell, he'd bring a much more conventional offense. Al Golden may also be a good fit. Maybe they should talk with Kirby Smart too.

Chris Petersen will reportedly interview for the job by Monday:

Another source close to the UW Athletic Department said Alvarez has been in contact with Boise State coach Chris Petersen and an interview could happen as early as Monday.

Both UW sources spoke on the condition of anonymity, because they have not been cleared to speak publicly on these issues.

Petersen, 47, is the winningest active coach at the Football Bowl Subdivision level, with an 83-8 record (.912 winning percentage) over seven seasons. He makes $1.7 million this season, according to reports.

Boise State is 10-2 this season and will face Washington on Dec. 22 in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Petersen is regarded as one of best offensive minds in the country. He was the offensive coordinator at Boise State for five years before being promoted to head coach after Dan Hawkins left following the 2005 season.

http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...cle_343b5b3c-3f30-11e2-b159-0019bb2963f4.html

Go Gophers!!

I've never cottoned much to Alvarez (that self-satisfied smirk of his just drives me up a wall), but the guy is a tremendous football coach and appears to be a truly organized guy. If he doesn't get a "name" guy, I think he'll get a solid, up-and-coming assistant (think Kirby Smart or that level).

I've always wondered about the relationship between Alvarez and Bielema. It's obvious that Alvarez thinks a lot of Bielema's ability or he wouldn't have designated him as his handpicked successor. But at some level, that had to weigh a bit on Bielema and maybe Bielema felt he was always going to be somewhat in Alvarez' shadow regardless of how well his teams did. I think Bielema is a total chucklehead, but one can't argue with Wisconsin's performance with him on the sideline.

what happened to hawkins?

Colorado hired and fired in 2006 him in 2010. His overall record was 19-39. Seems that Colorado's schedule was a little more daunting then Boise State's.

Chryst is officially out of the running. Barry said he pulled strings to get Chryst the Pitt job, says it wouldn't be appropriate to hire him away now.

Chryst is officially out of the running. Barry said he pulled strings to get Chryst the Pitt job, says it wouldn't be appropriate to hire him away now.

My favorite quote was when he was asked if he will use a search committee. No. "Most search committees use me."

My favorite quote was when he was asked if he will use a search committee. No. "Most search committees use me."

That was hilarious.

I guess he also said that he may reach out to Petersen to see if he is interested, even though he thinks he's pretty solid with Boise.

Has anyone said Paul Rhoads at Iowa State? I think he would be a really good hire. Iowa State is one of the toughest jobs in the country, especially playing a 9-game conference schedule in the Big 12, and he's more than held his own for the last four years, especially against big brother Iowa the last few years.

Must be nice to have football guy in charge making decisions. My initial hope of a Badger meltdown has been tempered by the fact that BA will not do anything remotely stupid and will probably end up with a very good coach that keeps their systems in place. There will not be a Brewster-like hire from him.

The rumors out in Oregon are that Chip Kelly will be off to the NFL. Peterson will be #1 to replace him. He coached there under Bellotti. Pray that BA can't
sell him on Madison.

Barry was on the Dan Patrick Show this morning. He says the Rose Bowl will be a "one and done" as a Coach.

B.B. told Barry Tuesday at Noon. He had already excepted the job.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/12/0...ys-he-may-reach-out-to-boise-states-peterson/

Barry Alvarez comments on Bielema leaving; says he may reach out to Boise State’s Peterson

by DP SHOW on DECEMBER 6, 2012 in DAN PATRICK SHOW

Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez joined the show to talk about coach Bret Bielema leaving and taking over to coach in the Rose Bowl.

“I wasn’t real happy when it happened,” Alvarez said. “I understand it. We’ve had such stability here. I went 16 straight years. Bret seven. We’re not accustomed to change here. I see it around the country. I know how it works.”

Dan asked why he thinks Bielema left. “He said he had a better chance to win a championship,” Alvarez said.

Alvarez said they’ve already started their search. Dan asked about Chris Peterson.

“I haven’t talked to Chris Peterson,” Alvarez said. “I always felt Chris was pretty locked in at Boise. …I may ask to see if he’s interested. “

Dan asked if he would do one season. “I’d prefer not to,” Alvarez said.

As much as we all would like to see a Badger demise with the football program I just do not see it happening. They have it running pretty good over there and I don't see Alvarez screwing it up.

Man alive contrast Alvarez's way of going about the hiring process thusfar with Maturi's and stand in shame at our administration's lack of guile.

Top Bottom