Who will be Fleck's next big recruit?

I get what you're saying, but there can be happy mediums. Six four-stars (his over/under) is a tall task at the U. Using Rivals, here are the number of schools the last few years with 6 or more 4-stars: 3, 4, 5, 4, 2, 3...and so on. So he basically expects us to jump into the top 3-4 in Big Ten recruiting immediately? Jump over schools like Penn St., Nebraska, Michigan St.? I'd be thrilled if it happens, but it'd be crazy to hold it out as an expectation. I do believe he's an elite recruiter, and I believe an elite recruiter should be expected to get 2 or 3 4-stars at this point. He cites the one-year outlier of 7 with Brewster, but that was when he had a bare roster and tons of PT to sell. I'd also state that 2 of those players never set foot on the field for the Gophers, 2 were JuCos, and one that did see the field was an absolute bust. We had 3 in 2009, 2 in 2010, and 3 combined in the years since. An expectation of 2-3 is perfectly reasonable.

I hear what you're saying and I have similar expectations/hopes. I don't expect Fleck to be a miracle worker. My only jab was at the crowd that wanted Claeys gone because 9-4 wasn't very good and his awful recruiting. Their tempered expectations for Fleck look silly now.

But in reality, I agree with you. If we land 2 4 star recruits, I'd be stoked.

We usually finished about 9/14.

Claeys as a head coach was dead last. 6 of the 7 highest rated recruits from last year were the MN kids that committed when Kill was the head coach.

I posted the recruiting stats vs results for the Kill/Claeys era about a month ago. I didn't include Rutgers and Maryland because they have only been in the B1G half of the time Kill/Claeys were here. On average the Gophers finished 11th of 12 in recruiting.

Claeys as a head coach was dead last. 6 of the 7 highest rated recruits from last year were the MN kids that committed when Kill was the head coach.

I posted the recruiting stats vs results for the Kill/Claeys era about a month ago. I didn't include Rutgers and Maryland because they have only been in the B1G half of the time Kill/Claeys were here. On average the Gophers finished 11th of 12 in recruiting.

Oh, I gave you too much credit. You judged recruiting by team rankings in January. Ha.

Oh, I gave you too much credit. You judged recruiting by team rankings in January. Ha.

I'm not, they're still close to the bottom even with all the recent commits. That doesn't change my point that they have never been middle of the pack in recruiting during the Kill/Claeys era and weren't going to come close under Claeys this year either.

We are incredibly unlikely to get any "big recruits" in the 2017 class. Let's start looking at the 2018 class for when the "big recruits" will sign on. I'm calling it now - we will have multiple 4-stars in the 2018 class.

love your logo dpodoll68

Haven't you figured out that way this goes. . .

With Claeys, 9 wins + middle of the pack recruiting = Disappointment.

With Fleck, we'd be lucky to get 7 wins and a bunch of 3 star recruits = Expected.

You spelled dead last wrong

Claeys had a class finish dead last?

Do we count the WI and Nebreaska games as wins?

This was his first class and he had 12 commits in January if you see that as "middle of the road" recruiting I don't know what to tell you.

This was his first class and he had 12 commits in January if you see that as "middle of the road" recruiting I don't know what to tell you.

Actually, you are wrong. Last year was his first (and only completed) class. Now, judge it based on Team Rankings or what you saw on the field this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your dreaming if you think Claeys closed on his recruits. Sawvel, Anderson, and Sherels did the closing. Claeys couldn't close a door. Heck of a defensive coach though. On a side note. Kill never had Claeys " close " on a recruit. Kill did all the closing and had Claeys run the daily operations when he was gone.

I hear what you're saying and I have similar expectations/hopes. I don't expect Fleck to be a miracle worker. My only jab was at the crowd that wanted Claeys gone because 9-4 wasn't very good and his awful recruiting. Their tempered expectations for Fleck look silly now.

But in reality, I agree with you. If we land 2 4 star recruits, I'd be stoked.

You have a very short term view. 9 wins is not sustainable the way Claey's was recruiting.

Actually, you are wrong. Last year was his first (and only completed) class. Now, judge it based on Team Rankings or what you saw on the field this year?

That was Kill's class and you know it

So is this year's TC's or Fleck's?

Considering Fleck has 4 decommits from the class and only 5 out of state commits from Claeys what do you think?

He's done a nice job convincing his WMU recruits to follow him and he was able to land Ibrahim, do you think he will be able to flip someone else from a P5 program to help fill up this class?

If Fleck can land GopherInPhilly aboard I would consider that a 4 star. :)

Last year was his first and it was really good at actually playing football. I don't know if you watched any games.

But this year, you judge a class in January. HA. Yep, you have this recruiting thing figured out.

How did they manage to win 9 games with the way Kill recruited?
Who said anything about Kills recruiting? I said 9 wins is not sustainable with the way Claeys was recruiting. Also, not to go down a rabbit hole, but our 9 win season was not that impressive given our schedule.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Who said anything about Kills recruiting? I said 9 wins is not sustainable with the way Claeys was recruiting. Also, not to go down a rabbit hole, but our 9 win season was not that impressive given our schedule.

Why?

The 2013 class was dead last in the Big 10
The 2012 class was dead last in the Big 10

Those were the upperclassmen for a team that went 9-4. They were helped by a class that was recruited by Claeys, we played a lot of FR.

Why?

The 2013 class was dead last in the Big 10
The 2012 class was dead last in the Big 10

Those were the upperclassmen for a team that went 9-4. They were helped by a class that was recruited by Claeys, we played a lot of FR.
Do you think if Claeys stayed, we would win 9 next year?

Do you think if Claeys stayed, we would win 9 next year?

I think it would have been close. I think our team will be pretty similar, our schedule is a little tougher, so yeah, I would have expected 8-9 wins.

I know you're going to come back with being surprised that someone would think that and that's ok, but know that we won 9 games with similarly ranked recruiting classes.

Who said anything about Kills recruiting? I said 9 wins is not sustainable with the way Claeys was recruiting. <b>Also, not to go down a rabbit hole, but our 9 win season was not that impressive given our schedule. </b>

How many wins was it like?

I think it would have been close. I think our team will be pretty similar, our schedule is a little tougher, so yeah, I would have expected 8-9 wins.

I know you're going to come back with being surprised that someone would think that and that's ok, but know that we won 9 games with similarly ranked recruiting classes.
I guess this is where we part ways. Im not arguing that we cant win 9 games from time to time through rock solid evaluation, under the radar kids, and coaching....I am saying that is an extremely difficult strategy to sustain. I also believe that model leads to a plateau.

Agree to disagree.

Top Bottom