Who will be Fleck's next big recruit?

Tlsbhansen

Reaction score
He's done a nice job convincing his WMU recruits to follow him and he was able to land Ibrahim, do you think he will be able to flip someone else from a P5 program to help fill up this class?

He's done a nice job convincing his WMU recruits to follow him and he was able to land Ibrahim, do you think he will be able to flip someone else from a P5 program to help fill up this class?
What is your definition of big?

I am waiting for the first.

I'd look at the Clemson and Alabama commits. They're elite.

We are incredibly unlikely to get any "big recruits" in the 2017 class. Let's start looking at the 2018 class for when the "big recruits" will sign on. I'm calling it now - we will have multiple 4-stars in the 2018 class.

We are incredibly unlikely to get any "big recruits" in the 2017 class. Let's start looking at the 2018 class for when the "big recruits" will sign on. I'm calling it now - we will have multiple 4-stars in the 2018 class.

New facilities a year closer and a full year of Fleck mania....way to go out on a limb dpodoll. Anything less would be a disappointment in my opinion.

Now, if you said we will get more than 6 four star recruits in the 2018 class, I'd call that a bold statement. I am setting the over/under at 5.

New facilities a year closer and a full year of Fleck mania....way to go out on a limb dpodoll. Anything less would be a disappointment in my opinion.

Now, if you said we will get more than 6 four star recruits in the 2018 class, I'd call that a bold statement. I am setting the over/under at 5.

5 guys that are rated 4 stars by at least one recruiting service or 5 guys that are composite 4 stars? I can see us achieving the former but probably not the latter.

We are gonna flip Alabamas class so they can play for a real ELITE team.

Probably a couple high 3* type guys still who he was close on at WMU but wouldn't play for a MAC school. He'll get a couple more of those guys to flip before NSD.

Why would that many 4 star recruits want to come to Minnesota? I think Wisconsin has only 1 this year?? I say way under maybe 1 or 2 if we are lucky

We aren't getting a ton of 4* guys until we start winning more games.

I say Kendarian Handy-Holly. 4 star safety from Alabama. Coming on a visit January 20

5 or 6 is definitely a lot, especially when you consider Fleck's main recruiting area of the Midwest. I didn't include Michigan or Ohio because of Harbaugh and Meyer, but when you add up the 4* recruits from WI, IL, IN, and MO, it totals 14 this year. There are no 4* recruits from MN/IA/KS/NE/SD/ND this year.

Obviously if you include MI and OH that number increases quite a bit, but good luck pulling 4* or 5* recruits away from Ohio State and Michigan.

Why would that many 4 star recruits want to come to Minnesota? I think Wisconsin has only 1 this year?? I say way under maybe 1 or 2 if we are lucky

I would say this is part of the culture that PJ Fleck was hired to change at Minnesota. As he said himself at the press conference "Why not Minnesota".

We aren't getting a ton of 4* guys until we start winning more games.

We weren't exactly setting the world on fire when Brewster got 7 in 2008. Fleck was hired as a top level recruiter and if he doesn't pull in 4-5 four star guys next year, I think he'd be the first to say he's disappointed.

We weren't exactly setting the world on fire when Brewster got 7 in 2008. Fleck was hired as a top level recruiter and if he doesn't pull in 4-5 four star guys next year, I think he'd be the first to say he's disappointed.

Haven't you figured out that way this goes. . .

With Claeys, 9 wins + middle of the pack recruiting = Disappointment.

With Fleck, we'd be lucky to get 7 wins and a bunch of 3 star recruits = Expected.

With Fleck, we'd be lucky to get 7 wins and a bunch of 3 star recruits = Expected.

Except it wasn't

Highest rated recruit so far was a Claeys recruit - Blaise Andries

Step it up Fleck, let's see how Elite you are and top Claeys.

I say Kendarian Handy-Holly. 4 star safety from Alabama. Coming on a visit January 20

247 has it at 50% Gophers, 25 Auburn, 25 Florida. That would be an huge get, 247 has him as a 3* but Sawvel was the one that recruited him. Will be interesting to see if that changes things.

5 or 6 is definitely a lot, especially when you consider Fleck's main recruiting area of the Midwest. I didn't include Michigan or Ohio because of Harbaugh and Meyer, but when you add up the 4* recruits from WI, IL, IN, and MO, it totals 14 this year. There are no 4* recruits from MN/IA/KS/NE/SD/ND this year.

Obviously if you include MI and OH that number increases quite a bit, but good luck pulling 4* or 5* recruits away from Ohio State and Michigan.

The whole star system is very suspect. Look at the schools that were offering Blaise Andries last spring and summer - Oklahoma, Michigan State, TCU, Nebraska, Oregon and many others. If he had committed to a "helmet" program, would he be a 3 star today ?

The whole star system is very suspect. Look at the schools that were offering Blaise Andries last spring and summer - Oklahoma, Michigan State, TCU, Nebraska, Oregon and many others. If he had committed to a "helmet" program, would he be a 3 star today ?

He had a composite score of .88

He was rated just fine.

I get what you're saying, but there can be happy mediums. Six four-stars (his over/under) is a tall task at the U. Using Rivals, here are the number of schools the last few years with 6 or more 4-stars: 3, 4, 5, 4, 2, 3...and so on. So he basically expects us to jump into the top 3-4 in Big Ten recruiting immediately? Jump over schools like Penn St., Nebraska, Michigan St.? I'd be thrilled if it happens, but it'd be crazy to hold it out as an expectation. I do believe he's an elite recruiter, and I believe an elite recruiter should be expected to get 2 or 3 4-stars at this point. He cites the one-year outlier of 7 with Brewster, but that was when he had a bare roster and tons of PT to sell. I'd also state that 2 of those players never set foot on the field for the Gophers, 2 were JuCos, and one that did see the field was an absolute bust. We had 3 in 2009, 2 in 2010, and 3 combined in the years since. An expectation of 2-3 is perfectly reasonable.

Top Bottom