Who should be QB

What QB would you rather have lead this team?

• Total voters
9-4 with the Axe home and a decent bowl win, can still be special. Not 11-2 special, sure, but we haven't had a lot of special years lately.
We already have 4 losses. 9-5 is the best we can do if we lose B1G title game. 8-5 is realistic at this point.

At this point I don't see a change unless Fleck senses the team isn't behind Morgan. You're mathematically alive to win the West, so you can't just pull the plug on the season. It's not the NFL.

However, I would try to let Kramer do a bit more in the passing game. He's played in 6 straight conference games, he's 3 for 3 when asked to hit open receivers and shown he's a competent QB option. Give him a bit more passing action. Give him 1 series per half and see what happens.

as others have noted - the question is.....

Would the combo of OC Sanford and QB X be an improvement over OC Sanford and QB Morgan?

if all you do is switch QB's, but you have the same OC, same play-caller and same philosophy, does that make enough of a difference?

the only way to find out is to make a change at QB. and that doesn't happen as long as Morgan is physically capable of dragging himself onto the field. The only way Morgan doesn't play is if he sustains a season-ending type of injury. (which, to be clear, I am NOT wishing for. I'm just wishing the coach was less stubborn.)

At this point I don't see a change unless Fleck senses the team isn't behind Morgan. You're mathematically alive to win the West, so you can't just pull the plug on the season. It's not the NFL.

However, I would try to let Kramer do a bit more in the passing game. He's played in 6 straight conference games, he's 3 for 3 when asked to hit open receivers and shown he's a competent QB option. Give him a bit more passing action. Give him 1 series per half and see what happens.
Yep I've been saying the same thing. Give Kramer 1 or 2 series per half.
Also would like to see them run a whole series with the hurry up offense once or twice a half.

Yep I've been saying the same thing. Give Kramer 1 or 2 series per half.
Also would like to see them run a whole series with the hurry up offense once or twice a half.
The only argument I’ve seen for not playing Kramer more is that “teams will know that we’re running”. Well, teams can be pretty damn confident that we’re running regardless of who’s at QB. At least Kramer adds the possibility of the QB keeping the ball. Plus he’s proven he can throw the ball when called upon. If Sanford wants to call plays like we’re a service academy, might as well go all-in.

We already have 4 losses. 9-5 is the best we can do if we lose B1G title game. 8-5 is realistic at this point.
I was not factoring the title game, you are correct.

- 8-4 regular season w/ Axe home
- Big Ten title game
- bowl win

That's not "special", given where we are? Not buying it.

They thought Morgan gave best chance over Iowa.

That won't change.
I highly doubt there is any "thought" going on. From my perspective, Fleck/Sanford aren't even asking the question. If they were, we would have seen a backup come in Saturday.

The question is...will they ask the question this week? Me thinks not.

JG basically said on the radio that Morgan is tentative and not willing to fling the ball at times. Now are the coaches needing to come up with a better passing plan to make him more comfortable or is he seeing ghosts on the field?

With Senior Day looming in a couple of weeks, it will be interesting to see if Tanner walks with his fellow seniors. I can't imagine he'll be out there if he plans on coming back for 2022.

JG basically said on the radio that Morgan is tentative and not willing to fling the ball at times. Now are the coaches needing to come up with a better passing plan to make him more comfortable or is he seeing ghosts on the field?
Yup, this was especially the case vs Illinois and BG. After the BG game Morgan was much more aggressive vs Purdue and Nebraska and it paid off. Can’t shy away from single coverage on the outsides. The risk of interceptions are pretty low on those deep sideline routes. Tanner seems like an intelligent guy, I have a hard time believing that he can’t be coached up, which makes me think that the coaching and play calling under Sanford is an issue. In turn that leaves me pretty pessimist about our other QBs as well.

Leber in KFAN thinks the U should go in a different direction re: qb. Conzemius agrees. These 2 are dialed in

I'm all for it. There seems to be a spark when Kramer is in there.

The only argument I’ve seen for not playing Kramer more is that “teams will know that we’re running”. Well, teams can be pretty damn confident that we’re running regardless of who’s at QB. At least Kramer adds the possibility of the QB keeping the ball. Plus he’s proven he can throw the ball when called upon. If Sanford wants to call plays like we’re a service academy, might as well go all-in.
I haven’t seen Kramer throw a long, downfield pass (Tanner has thrown many). But Kramer is 3 for 3 passing this season. Kramer has two TD passes in only 3 passing attempts. Heck, let other teams think that Kramer in the game means a run play. If they they don’t defend the pass as well, he will find a TE or WR. I fear that actually starting Kramer means we might give up the ability (little used this year) to take the top off a defense with a long bomb. Haven’t seen him cut loose yet. Situational substitution is probably best at this juncture.

We probably just finish this season with TM2 taking virtually all the snaps, hopefully beating Indiana and maybe winning a bowl game. Start fresh on offense in 2022. PJ’s worst passing game year was 2017 (Rhoda; Croft). But 2021 and 2020 are close behind 2017 as futile, non-productive passing game years—all well below PJ’s historical passing game production.

If 2022’s passing game is a repeat of 2020 and 2021, it will mean that PJ has fundamentally changed, that he has abandoned the balanced offense—with a robust passing element—that made his teams so exciting and successful, esp. in 2016 and 2019.

You can win a lot of games against inferior and middling opponents by running the ball 70% of the time, deploying your WRs principally as blockers and decoys. But you can’t win the big games against the better opponents with an intentionally atrophied passing game. Not even tOSU tries to do that. Football rules favor the passing game; elite teams don’t turn their nose up at that opportunity.

Last edited:

Pretty easy to have a real competition with the throwing game. Any QB can had off the ball. I agree that you will not win against good teams without a throwing game. If you want a QB that runs the ball Clark and Annesack are screwed. Kramer is not a pocket QB. Which QB fits into Fleck World the best?

The team found ways to win games they really could or should have lost in 2019. They had in some games the same mediocre play throughout but magic at the end. No magic this year
413948D7-BABC-4298-89B5-50F23DB4F4DA.jpeg

Who is best at 7 on 7?
The 6-4, 220-pound quarterback threw for 2,096 yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior last fall. The Gophers had initially been looking at Leidner as a tight end with his size and athleticisim, but his dizzying performance this past Saturday at the Coach Kill 7-on-7 Passing Tournament changed everything.
GOAT Mitch Leidner

Yes, indeed I am one of the 25 who voted for Kramer. Why? I watched every one of his games in high school and I know what he can do. I am not related to his family or extended family, just a fan who goes to every home and away EP game. Tonight it's the EP vs Maple Grove game. I have nothing against the other QB's. I just believe the versatility of the player is what is required; we need a mobile QB who is a good ball handler and can throw the rock in the pocket or rolling out.

Yes, indeed I am one of the 25 who voted for Kramer. Why? I watched every one of his games in high school and I know what he can do. I am not related to his family or extended family, just a fan who goes to every home and away EP game. Tonight it's the EP vs Maple Grove game. I have nothing against the other QB's. I just believe the versatility of the player is what is required; we need a mobile QB who is a good ball handler and can throw the rock in the pocket or rolling out.

I appreciate the thoughts on mobility and pocket presence.
I don't think he has a Big Ten arm / accuracy.
I especially don't think he has the arm for the long receiver routes Sanford seems to prefer.

Ha. Which came first, Big 12 air attacks or gunslinging QBs. Does MN have an offense that will attract high level talent?
With the current pitch left, pitch right, RUTM offense? I do not believe so. I can't imagine a high level QB recruit wanting to just be a game manager in his college carrier, especially under the tutelage of Sanford, Jr.

If the answer is Kramer, the answer is Morgan

If the answer is someone other than Kramer,
Maybe Morgan isn’t the answer

Maybe this would help as long as they cut the signal off with 2 seconds on the play clock.

Top Bottom