Who should be QB

What QB would you rather have lead this team?

• Total voters
Morgan missed some balls. He also had about a half dozen balls hit wideouts in the hands and not get caught.
Not enough plays made yesterday.
Minnesota out played Iowa on the fronts. Lost the skill position battle. Need to address it with recruiting.

Morgan has been the best QB post Mason era but he hasn’t been good enough to make up for deficiencies this year or last.

if there is a guy better I hope we play him. Not sure there is a guy better yet. Need to develop one or recruit one.

Play whoever you think will start next year. We are at that point.
Agree 1000%. If Morgan is coming back, they need to fire Sanford and let Tanner play out the year under Simon. If Morgan is moving on, they need to see what another QB can do when bullets are flying.

Agree 1000%. If Morgan is coming back, they need to fire Sanford and let Tanner play out the year under Simon. If Morgan is moving on, they need to see what another QB can do when bullets are flying.
I think if Tanner ever does get pulled, he's done and won't be back for his extra year. It's a slippery slope but in the end, Fleck has to do what is best for the program now and for the near future.

It's worth mentioning again; Sanford's inability to develop QBs and poor play calling could have a negative impact on our QB recruiting and potentially to our current QB room. I have a feeling we'll lose 1 or 2 QBs to the portal at the end of the season unless something changes. Who would blame them?

I think if Tanner ever does get pulled, he's done and won't be back for his extra year. It's a slippery slope but in the end, Fleck has to do what is best for the program now and for the near future.

It's worth mentioning again; Sanford's inability to develop QBs and poor play calling could have a negative impact on our QB recruiting and potentially to our current QB room. I have a feeling we'll lose 1 or 2 QBs to the portal at the end of the season unless something changes. Who would blame them?
With the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised they all do the basketball mass exodus.

With the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised they all do the basketball mass exodus.
I was thinking about Annexstad and what has to be running thru his head during the game yesterday. You know he had to keep looking over at Fleck hoping to make enough eye contact that PJ finally conceded. Zach has to be wondering what it will possibly take to get on the field.

I see Morgan not having the touch needed on some passes. Multiple times this year he has rifled the throw when touch was needed. At least one yesterday on a short TD pass attempt. Also agree with others that he has missed too many opportunities this year to wide open receivers because he was locked on a different receiver. Had a couple again yesterday. Great young man, but something has to give.

There are two QBs behind ZA and CK with vastly stronger passing resumes and/or ratings.

If Athan is remotely ready do you get him game experience over the last 3 games?

I was thinking about Annexstad and what has to be running thru his head during the game yesterday. You know he had to keep looking over at Fleck hoping to make enough eye contact that PJ finally conceded. Zach has to be wondering what it will possibly take to get on the field.
No kidding.

There are two QBs behind ZA and CK with vastly stronger passing resumes and/or ratings.

If Athan is remotely ready do you get him game experience over the last 3 games?
If he is remotely ready, yes because you get 4 free games without burning redshirt.
If he isn’t ready, you don’t. You play to win the game

I’m ready to see ZA get another shot as I suspect he is in line to start next year. Tanner is just broken at this point.
You think the guy backing up a guy who is likely coming back is in line to be the starter? If that were true wouldn’t he be the starter now?

You think the guy backing up a guy who is likely coming back is in line to be the starter? If that were true wouldn’t he be the starter now?
I know Morgan can come back next year but I don’t think he will.

You can talk about should, all day. Please do. Go for it.

Objective fact:

Fleck and the staff thought that Morgan gave us the best chance to beat Iowa. Not a single thing about that, will change in two weeks.

That will still be what they think, and what will happen.

Barring injury, of course, but none of us wants that.

Are we just writing Jacob Clark off? Or did I miss that he transferred or something?..
He's on the sideline with one of those colored vests on, doing probably fake signals.

He hasn't already transferred, so I don't see the point of why he wouldn't at least give it one last go this coming spring ball, to win the job.

Otherwise, I would think he's gone.

I know Morgan can come back next year but I don’t think he will.
For whatever reason, he was just perfect for what we had here and with Ciarroca/Simon's scheme in 2019.

That is gone, and he's now just "above-average".

Assuming Sanford won't be released, then I'm ready to try someone else.

Sanford is like a vampire that slowly sucked the life out of the Gopher offense before we knew it. Tanner Morgan is anemic.

He is like a deer in the headlights overthrowing passes that would have been catchable if not in a panic mode. It is time for Zack Annexstad to show what he can do.

I hope AK gets a chance next year. If Tanner does go it should be wide open for everyone.

The last time I saw ZA was in the spring game and he did not look good. He had a large brace on his knee and was not mobile at all. Plus he threw two picks in the spring game. Maybe alot has changed since then but i’m in the camp that ZA is not the answer here.
I’m ready to see ZA get another shot as I suspect he is in line to start next year. Tanner is just broken at this point.

The last time I saw ZA was in the spring game and he did not look good. He had a large brace on his knee and was not mobile at all. Plus he threw two picks in the spring game. Maybe alot has changed since then but i’m in the camp that ZA is not the answer here.

Yeah, he’s been careless with the ball at times. Many dangerous passes when he started and the practice game was up and down as you pointed out. I think it’s a hope and a prayer he’s going to be an above average Big Ten QB but with so little game tape, consideration for maturation the last 3 years hard to say. He’s Minnesotan, which is probably the biggest thing for some people.

Do you mean you play not to lose? We are all for that lately.

The defense is actually pretty good this year. Yes, I’d like to see a little more tempo and overall offensive balance and aggressiveness on standard downs, put opposing defenses on their heels.

I'm curious what the mentality of the QB room is. By not pulling Morgan is Fleck/Sanford teaching complacency? If you're ZA, JC, or AK it may seem regardless of your effort/growth, you're not going to get meaningful playtime.

I hate to say it because I've backed Morgan all year but someone else needs to be given the reigns at this point. The body of work Tanner has put out there this year is not good.

My issue with Morgan at this point in time is ironically the same as the issue I had with Mitch; they aren't above-average at either throwing it OR running it. Mitch was not a good runner and was not a good thrower of the football. This is one of the reasons I was in the significant minority that Streveler should have been given more run, at least on THAT team. At least the Leveler was a strong threat running the football.

Right now, whether it's loss of confidence or simply a regression, Morgan isn't adept at either throwing it or running it. This is, to me anyway, very similar to the Leidner/Streveler, when comparing Morgan and Kramer. Sure, maybe Kramer isn't a strong thrower, but he's at least a threat running the ball, and probably a better thrower than Streveler?

The defense has to respect your ability to either throw it or run it and right now, this offense is just terribly easy to prepare for when Morgan is clearly NOT throwing it like he used to, and he's ZERO threat to run.

Kind of like Nelson? If that is his attitude. Goodbye.

Kind of like Nelson? If that is his attitude. Goodbye.
Well, I think this situation would be completely different pretty much all the way around. If Morgan would come back to start but possibly not if he's a backup, I would understand that in his situation. He's probably got his degree (if not more than one), he's getting married soon, he's had a helluva good run, maybe just time to start getting on with the rest of your life.

I guess I don't see this remotely similar to the Nelson situation. I would understand Tanner not returning for a number of good reasons

I'm curious what the mentality of the QB room is. By not pulling Morgan is Fleck/Sanford teaching complacency? If you're ZA, JC, or AK it may seem regardless of your effort/growth, you're not going to get meaningful playtime.
Morgan has played well enough to not stink up the joint.

If Petras doesn't get hurt vs NW, maybe that right there is enough that we win the game.

Padilla hit two great throws on their first TD's, both times the same receiver burned Walley.

But Ferentz hadn't pulled Petras, to that point.

Does anyone really believe there was a real competition at QB during spring practices and fall camp the last two years? I doubt it. Looks more like after 2019 Fleck just said Tanner is the quarterback.

Morgan has played well enough to not stink up the joint.

If Petras doesn't get hurt vs NW, maybe that right there is enough that we win the game.

Padilla hit two great throws on their first TD's, both times the same receiver burned Walley.

But Ferentz hadn't pulled Petras, to that point.
The big unknown as to how much the Petras injury actually helped Iowa. Padilla is nothing spectacular, but he can move a little and made some nice plays. Petras on the other hand is a statue who hangs in the pocket and gets hit...a lot. Much easier to defend a guy like that than one that can move and get out of the pocket.

Top Bottom