Who plays, sits and red-shirts next year?

I know you saw my post in the other thread. Pitino said he thinks he can develop into combo forward, but I know you think he is lying.

Key words being "develop into". I'd be shocked to see him play minutes at SF, unless we're stretched so thin with injuries and foul trouble that its our only choice

Key words being "develop into". I'd be shocked to see him play minutes at SF, unless we're stretched so thin with injuries and foul trouble that its our only choice

So, like, we lose one guy?

Think last years 4 is this years 3..... Anything is possible.

We only have one wing on the roster with the kind of length Pitino would like (Morris), so if we need a bigger player at the 3 for match up purposes, Martin could be an option. Obviously his main position for us next year will be PF though.

We only have one wing on the roster with the kind of length Pitino would like (Morris), so if we need a bigger player at the 3 for match up purposes, Martin could be an option. Obviously his main position for us next year will be PF though.
Pitino on Gaston
"We are excited about signing Gaston," said Pitino, who recently completed his first year at the helm of Gopher basketball. "He brings a necessary addition to our frontcourt. His size and potential will be a great asset to our team."

Thinking Martin will get a change at sf with Gaston at pf...

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042814aab.html

Most of the year, we saw a three-man rotation at PG and SG because of a lack of depth. I think we'll see something similar at SG and SF in 2014-15.

Also, with Mason on board, I wouldn't be surprised if Hollins sees all his minutes off-ball at SG. Morris and McNeil will round out the SG/SF rotation.

Also, with Mason on board, I wouldn't be surprised if Hollins sees all his minutes off-ball at SG. Morris and McNeil will round out the SG/SF rotation.

If Martin is ready to step up and PF minutes from King, King will get a few back playing some SF.

Morris is a big 'x' factor, McNeil is solid, his height worries me with Dre & Dre and him on the court together.

One player I think we will see on the floor is Konate. If I understand everything correctly he didn't actually play in games last season he was just allowed to practice. If that is the case I cant see the coaching staff sitting him out another year just to practice. I think he probably gets spot minutes especially if he can block shots and rebound. What I am interested to see maybe not this year but down the road Konate is a shooter and Diedhiou is a stronger more physical player. Do we see more high low action in the future with Konate at the high post and Diedhiou down low?

My understanding is he played in games just not when they played Junior College teams then he sat so he would not lose a year of eligibility.
I think the best players play if Konate is better than EE and MO he will get minutes later in the year. I think Gaston is the starting pf from the get go and Pitino will figure out what makes sense...

One player I think we will see on the floor is Konate. If I understand everything correctly he didn't actually play in games last season he was just allowed to practice. If that is the case I cant see the coaching staff sitting him out another year just to practice. I think he probably gets spot minutes especially if he can block shots and rebound. What I am interested to see maybe not this year but down the road Konate is a shooter and Diedhiou is a stronger more physical player. Do we see more high low action in the future with Konate at the high post and Diedhiou down low?

If Martin is ready to step up and PF minutes from King, King will get a few back playing some SF.

King would be my third choice if you asked me which of the following would get SF minutes: Buggs, Martin, King (in that order)

Just because he can hit threes doesn't mean he should play SF, even for limited stretches. He is 100% a PF. If he's getting minutes at SF, something has gone horribly wrong on the season.

King would be my third choice if you asked me which of the following would get SF minutes: Buggs, Martin, King (in that order)

Just because he can hit threes doesn't mean he should play SF, even for limited stretches. He is 100% a PF. If he's getting minutes at SF, something has gone horribly wrong on the season.

What have you seen of Buggs, that would make you want him to play SF?

Our current starting Pg is like 5'9", Sg is like 6'1" and Austin was only like 6'4" playing sf. We were short and at times teams had record shooting from the 3 point line.

So Mason at 6'1" is 4 inches taller at Pg and Zach would be 3 inches talker at Sg...

Zach, Diedhiou, and Konate have issues with being able to play but I will assume they can until they can't...

Right, except Lofton most likely won't play this year so we gain one guy, who's maybe 6'1" on his tip-toes. Rivals & TDG list him at 5'11". Any way you slice it the guy's not very tall & not ideally suited to shut down 3 point shooters.

What have you seen of Buggs, that would make you want him to play SF?

You didn't ask me but: He's long and athletic and can shoot from 3 point range. That's potential. Defensively he lacks awareness and on offense we don't know that he can beat anyone off the dribble. Can he be developed? We don't know.

My understanding is he played in games just not when they played Junior College teams then he sat so he would not lose a year of eligibility.

Yes, but I think that translated into him sitting out a lot. Sunrise Christian Academy has two teams: the elite high school team and the post grad team (actually they seem to have a lesser high school team, too). Konate played on the postgrad team. I looked at the schedule for the postgrad team and there were quite a few junior college teams on it. Perhaps the postgrad team had eligibility issues (like age) that prevented them from playing some of the usual prep level teams so they had. to play junior colleges to get enough of a schedule.

Quakerdale Prep in Iowa seems to have similar schedule. Most of their games with other postgrads are in tournaments.

He is 100% a PF

So he is your prototypical PF? That is news to me and a lot of other posters.

Yes his is more a 4 than anything else. But he will see minutes with with another PF like Martin and Gaston.

If I was going to pick my ideal starting line-up knowing what we know today it would be:

Mathieu - Hollins - Morris - King - Mo

Hypothetical: Say coach subs out Hollins and Morris, who comes in?

I'd guess McNeil and Martin.

With our current roster I think we will see King on the court with Martin at times, it doesn't matter which one you want to call the 3 or 4.

Perhaps we will sign a SF like Allen and Buggs leaves, then we would be pretty balanced.

Let me get this straight you are saying if a not too highly rated freshmen is better than two seniors who have played a ton and played well if inconsistent?? And by not too highly i mean the 24th ranked center and big guys tend to have a harder time adjusting. I am sure Walker was rated higher, not sure on EE comming out. I am not saying he doesnt have potential down the road.

I think the best players play if Konate is better than EE and MO he will get minutes later in the year. I think Gaston is the starting pf from the get go and Pitino will figure out what makes sense...

Let me get this straight you are saying if a not too highly rated freshmen is better than two seniors who have played a ton and played well if inconsistent?? And by not too highly i mean the 24th ranked center and big guys tend to have a harder time adjusting. I am sure Walker was rated higher, not sure on EE comming out. I am not saying he doesnt have potential down the road.
You realize he used the word IF right?

I don't think that the idea of "the best player plays" is very foreign or shocking at all. Debate who you think is better until the cows come home, but the fact is that the best player will be on the court.

If Konate was an McDonald's all american freshmen center i could see someone saying he could unseat two seniors. There are other threads suggesting he may redshirt?

So he is your prototypical PF? That is news to me and a lot of other posters.

What is your definition of prototypical PF?

Is he Karl Malone? Of course not. But in the Pitino system, you don't need a Malone skillset to play PF. Buggs fits just fine as a PF in this system.

If he's getting minutes at SF, something has gone horribly wrong on the season.

To you post above I was talking about and responding to your post about King, not Buggs or Karl.

So you think if King is on the floor at the same time as Martin or Gaston something will have had to go horribly wrong?

HOOP DREAMS, it depends on who they're playing next to. If they are playing next to one of the centers, yes.

I think Pitino would much rather go with a smaller lineup before he has to go big. So no, I don't see King logging any minutes at SF. Why would he? He's not a SF.

joshvanklomp;886033If they are playing next to one of the centers said:
Unless we get another SF, I can see King ,Martin/Gaston and EE or Mo on the court for stretches.

Unless we get another SF, I can see King ,Martin/Gaston and EE or Mo on the court for stretches.

Totally agree with ya. Mcneil will be playing back up to both SF and SG position. One player alone cant be our main backup for two positions, so we need to find extra bodies to play the 3 position from time to time on this roster. Joey King makes sense as much as anyone. To those saying NO to King at the SF, than who else will play the SF if Mcneil and Morris are on the bench (or Mcneil is playing the 2 position)?

If we had another 2 to back up Austin I would agree, King would never see the floor at the 3 (or Martin and buggs for that matter). The fact is though that we have Mcneil playing backup for two positions, and other than that we are TOTALLY lacking depth at 2 and 3. So yes, king will see time at the 3, mark it down baby. I can feel it in my toes.

we are TOTALLY lacking depth at 2 and 3. So yes, king will see time at the 3, mark it down baby. I can feel it in my toes.

What a difference a year makes. We didn't really have a need for Dawson his senior year, but we sure as heck could have plugged him in this past season.

"I can't feel it in my toes" -well put.

In this offensive system the 2 and 3 are nearly interchangeable. Our "3" needs to be able to handle the ball which makes it real tough to picture Joey or Charles playing the position on the offensive end. On the defensive end, we are trying to play like Louisville and press/trap while emphasizing deflections. Buggs could theoretically fit on that end of the floor, but his lateral quickness would need to improve. If Joey were to play the 3, we'd have lesser athletes than desired defensively at the 3, 5, and (arguably) the 2. Against most high major opposition, we'd be at a speed/quickness/jumping ability deficit at 2 or 3 positions making it very difficult, if not impossible, to play our desired style of defense.

As for who plays/sits next year, I think it's possible that one of Konate/Diedhiou red shirts, but not both. We can't start the year with just 10 scholarship players active. I wonder if Pitino is bringing in a walk on this year? There was the kid who was rumored to walk on (previously at Auburn) last year, but did not.

To those saying NO to King at the SF, than who else will play the SF if Mcneil and Morris are on the bench (or Mcneil is playing the 2 position).

People can talk systems and what is ideal all they want, unless we get another SF it's a numbers game.

2 of King - Martin - Gaston and/or Bakary will get some run with EE or Mo.

People can talk systems and what is ideal all they want, unless we get another SF it's a numbers game.

2 of King - Martin - Gaston and/or Bakary will get some run with EE or Mo.

Yes, one could have a "system" of only dating women with certain attributes or only accepting jobs of certain pay grades but if one isn't accepted by enough of those women or employers, or if appealing yet different substitutes do come along, then one will have to learn to be flexible.

It's rather startling how some posters on this site don't quite get the idea that choices are often a function of circumstances. Perhaps they live too much of their lives in abstract worlds.

Top Bottom