Who plays, sits and red-shirts next year?

People can talk systems and what is ideal all they want, unless we get another SF it's a numbers game.

2 of King - Martin - Gaston and/or Bakary will get some run with EE or Mo.

2 of King - Martin - Gaston - Buggs - and/or Bakary will get some run with EE or Mo.

Agree, although you forgot Charles.

I am guessing if we need someone to take minutes at the 3 spot if Morris, and McNeil are injured or in foul trouble I would think Buggs could provide the best defense (Lateral quickness plus length) of the 3. King and Martin the only other possibilities. Cannot see an even more raw pf in Gaston playing there especially on offense. King can spread the floor with his shot but I cannot see him playing defense on what is usually a big guard in most offenses (6-4-6-6 athlete). So I guess we would go zone in that instance.

I am guessing if we need someone to take minutes at the 3 spot if Morris, and McNeil are injured or in foul trouble I would think Buggs could provide the best defense (Lateral quickness plus length) of the 3. King and Martin the only other possibilities. Cannot see an even more raw pf in Gaston playing there especially on offense. King can spread the floor with his shot but I cannot see him playing defense on what is usually a big guard in most offenses (6-4-6-6 athlete). So I guess we would go zone in that instance.

I know Buggs has potential. But he potentially possesses 0 lateral quickness on the defensive side of the ball unless he improves over the summer.

I love the hope on Buggs, but outside hitting the 3 and being able to finish at the rim on fast breaks, he was a liability on the court last year. I hope to god he improves and becomes the player we all think he might be as it would cure many of this rosters problems in a heartbeat. But if we are counting on him to be a stop gap at any position next year, we are in trouble.

(I know you didnt say that March so don't get all upset that I quoted you and then said something outside of what you said, merely providing my opinion on Buggs)

I would think Buggs could provide the best defense (Lateral quickness plus length) of the 3. King and Martin the only other possibilities. Cannot see an even more raw pf in Gaston playing there especially on offense.

His lateral quickness is an asset? He looks like he is going to fall over when he is guarding the ball and has to move laterally.

I'm going to wait to see Gaston in person to judge how raw he is or isn't, I won't be surprised if he's more refined than Buggs.

His lateral quickness is an asset? He looks like he is going to fall over when he is guarding the ball and has to move laterally.

I'm going to wait to see Gaston in person to judge how raw he is or isn't, I won't be surprised if he's more refined than Buggs.

I would be more surprised if he wasn't more refined than Buggs.

I would bet Buggs has more lateral quickness than King. Teach him how to do the 3 cone test the football players do and he beats King. Buggs doesnt move laterally because of a mental issue. I doubt its about athletism. He thinks and doesnt move his feet.

The games i saw of Buggs his length really bothered people. Everyone would just comment that people had to tell him where to go and no one noticed the bad shots the offense was taking.

All this talk about whether Buggs will play the 3 or 4 next year, hmmm ... I'm still waiting to see what happens when Justin Martin graduates in a couple weeks.

Is all the Justin Martin talk pure speculation? I know Pitino's relationship and I know the contact rules, but lets be real there's teams "contacting" him and are we legitimately interested, is Martin interested in coming to Minnesota, or is this whole thing just drawn up speculation from the board that's taken a life of its own?

When do our new 6 players enroll at the U; and is there going to be a summer league they play in so we can get some feed back on their development ...

???
Thanks

Is all the Justin Martin talk pure speculation? I know Pitino's relationship and I know the contact rules, but lets be real there's teams "contacting" him and are we legitimately interested, is Martin interested in coming to Minnesota, or is this whole thing just drawn up speculation from the board that's taken a life of its own?

I get the feeling that it's all pure speculation. I don't remember seeing/reading any sourced material, etc. Moreover, isn't it against the rules to contact him before he graduates, which I believe hasn't happened yet?

All that said, I fully expect him to be on the team next year. It's almost a lock given the fact we already have a player named Martin on the squad. I mean, who's going to take over for "Hollins & Hollins"? And ESPN will still think they are brothers even though there will be obvious visual evidence contradicting it.

Justin Martin stems from one of our astute recruiting prediction gurus saying there was a "big signing" on the horizion about a month ago. Then, like all of these other stories we get 3rd hand, some interesting details surfaced that put it in doubt. At the same time details about Josh Martin's recruitment and graduation dates were being discussed. Another GH sleuth put the two together, and whalah. Here we are.

Justin Martin stems from one of our astute recruiting prediction gurus saying there was a "big signing" on the horizion about a month ago. Then, like all of these other stories we get 3rd hand, some interesting details surfaced that put it in doubt. At the same time details about Josh Martin's recruitment and graduation dates were being discussed. Another GH sleuth put the two together, and whalah. Here we are.

Does not mean it will not happen.Circumstantial evidence.Obvious weakness at SF,looked at Ryan Johnson,looking at Deangelo Allen and the rumor of Justin Martin.Seems like something will happen,just not as soon as predicted.Tommy,care to shed any light on this or have you been insulted so much over this you are in hibernation?Do not blame you!

As legitimate as the Shaka Smart Watch

Is all the Justin Martin talk pure speculation?

As discussed at length on this Board a few weeks ago, there were reports of Gopher interest in Martin as well as vague allusions by a few people to a big addition coming. Then Xavier denied Martin permission to talk with anyone until he completed his schoolwork, and then we signed three more guys (Konate, Lofton and Diedhou) to fill our roster so it's unclear whether anything more will happen. Martin finishes school in about a week, thus my "waiting to see" comment.

Does not mean it will not happen.Circumstantial evidence.Obvious weakness at SF,looked at Ryan Johnson,looking at Deangelo Allen and the rumor of Justin Martin.Seems like something will happen,just not as soon as predicted.Tommy,care to shed any light on this or have you been insulted so much over this you are in hibernation?Do not blame you!

Space bar.

As far as Tommy being insulted. I'm not insulting him. Tommy knows how I feel about him.

What I'm insulting is, to my recollection, there was no one that ever said we were interested in Josh Martin. Our recruiting gurus (and I say it tounge in cheek because it is such a crap shoot, if one of you cannot take that slight jab then you really shouldn't be on a message board, its all about the jabbing in these parts, especially in the offseason! sheesh) made a comment about a big slash. At the same time someone talked about Pitino's closeness with Martin while at UL. A 3rd party made the connection and then it went from there.

My quote was in reference to the pure speculation.

and then we signed three more guys (Konate, Lofton and Diedhou) to fill our roster so it's unclear whether anything more will happen.

Considering we were showing interest in another SF after we signed three more guys, I don't see why we would not be interested in Martin too.

Space bar.

As far as Tommy being insulted. I'm not insulting him. Tommy knows how I feel about him.

What I'm insulting is, to my recollection, there was no one that ever said we were interested in Josh Martin. Our recruiting gurus (and I say it tounge in cheek because it is such a crap shoot, if one of you cannot take that slight jab then you really shouldn't be on a message board, its all about the jabbing in these parts, especially in the offseason! sheesh) made a comment about a big slash. At the same time someone talked about Pitino's closeness with Martin while at UL. A 3rd party made the connection and then it went from there.

My quote was in reference to the pure speculation.

Sheese...your use of run-on sentences diminishes any points you attempt to make.Bottom line to me: I do not know squat.You do not know squat .Richard knows more than squat as he has recruited 4 and 5 star players at Florida and Louisville.If he thinks he needs a wing,he needs one( and it appears he is looking).If he does not feel he needs one,I will ride with that.You have this pomposity that pretends you know,when we all see clearly through the veneer.Stop the pretense,as some of us enjoy conjecture and rumors.It is part of the fun.

Sheese...your use of run-on sentences diminishes any points you attempt to make.Bottom line to me: I do not know squat.You do not know squat .Richard knows more than squat as he has recruited 4 and 5 star players at Florida and Louisville.If he thinks he needs a wing,he needs one( and it appears he is looking).If he does not feel he needs one,I will ride with that.You have this pomposity that pretends you know,when we all see clearly through the veneer.Stop the pretense,as some of us enjoy conjecture and rumors.It is part of the fun.

Apparently my run on sentences are effecting this conversation because I have no clue where you got the idea that I am pretending to have a clue or that I don't like the rumors...
I'll drop it.

Top Bottom